The Viewsonic G Tablet Super Thread (w/Market, Gmail, and Maps!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008
I've tried this twice already with a factory reset in between each try, and it's worked both times! :D

Attached is a bunch of files you will need to make this work.

1. Download the attached Zip file and extrat the contents to your desktop
  2. Mount your G and upload the "G Tablet" folder to your G's internal SD card
  3. Using AndRootFile or any other file manager that supports root access, mount as R/W, and copy the contents of G Tablet\permissions to System\etc\permissions.
  4. Copy the contents of G Tablet\framework to System\Framework
  5. Copy the contents of G Tablet\lib to System\lib
  6. Copy all the APK's found inside G Tablet\APK into your system\app folder.
  7. Install them in this order:
    1. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    2. OneTimeInitializer.apk
    3. SetupWizard.apk
    4. Talk.apk
    5. Vending.apk
    6. Gmail.apk
    7. Maps.apk
  8. Make sure you remount it as R/O when you're done!
  9. Restart your G, Connect to Wifi, then launch Market.
  10. Follow the standard Google Account setup procedure and enjoy your newly installed Market. :D

PROOF THAT IT WORKS (the guide might be broken at some point though, see explanation below): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm2Kax8RQM

Someone please test this and let me know if you have any problems. Factory resetting doesn't delete any files I might have moved into the system folder so I might be missing something in this guide.

Feel free to donate to my beer fund if this helped you :)

Copying the following over from my thread over at Overclock.net (best computer enthusiast community, ever!)

Guides:

Setting Up ADB:
The ADB drivers do not recognize the Tegra hardware by default. You need to modify the USB inf file in order for it to recognize it and install the proper hardware.

1. Go to the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK folder
  2. Open up android_winusb.inf
  3. Add the following under [Google.NTx86] and save (or if you prefer, download my pre-modified android_winusb.inf attached to the bottom of this post, and replace your existing android_winusb.inf with mine).
    Code:
    ;NVIDIA Tegra
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
  4. If you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, you need to add that code to the [Google.NTamd64] section as well.
  5. Next, open a command prompt and type
    Code:
    echo 0x955 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
  6. On your G, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check "USB Debugging"
  7. Plug in your USB cable, it will tell you that some drivers were not installed. That's okay! Point it to your usb_driver folder and it'll install the proper drivers.
  8. Make sure ADB is working by opening a command prompt, navigating to your android sdk "tools" folder, and typing
    Code:
    adb devices
    You should see a bunch of numbers if everything is set up correctly.

Rooting:
You need to have ADB fully working before proceeding. The easiest way to root is by using CLShortFuse's SuperOneClick. If you can spare the money, consider donating a buck or two to his beer fund :D
  1. Connect your G and make sure USB debugging is enabled/ADB is working.
  2. Extract the contents of SuperOneClickv1.5.2-ShortFuse.zip to a folder of your choice.
  3. Run SuperOneClick.exe and click on Root. Wait for the process to finish, and you're rooted! Easy as pie.

Installing Launcher Pro/ADW:
It's actually really easy.
  1. Download the Launcher Pro APK from here: http://www.launcherpro.com/apk/LauncherPro-0.8.1.1.apk
  2. Connect your G and move the Launcher APK over to your Tablet's internal/external SD card.
  3. Using whatever file manager you prefer (on your G), execute the Launcher Pro APK and install it.
  4. Upon completion, hit the Home button and choose LauncherPro as your default launcher.
  5. Reboot and feel the speed!

Fixes:

Wifi Fix:
If your Wifi "errors" upon enabling, try one of the following methods

Method 1:
  1. Reboot. Seriously, it fixes the problem a large portion of the time. :)

Method 2:
  1. Download Wefi from here: http://www.wefi.com/download/android/
  2. Install the APK on your G.
  3. Run WeFi, hit the menu button (button between back and home), and hit Settings
  4. Make sure Automatic Startup is checked. Click on "Wi-Fi on WeFi start" and choose "Always Turn On"
  5. Restart your G and pray. :D
Method 3: Master Reset (you will lose all your apps)
  1. Go to settings -> Security and do a Factory Wipe.
    This works only SOMETIMES, but is not a guaranteed fix, so only use this as a last ditch resort

Attachments

• android_winusb.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 9,087
Last edited:

mattmanion

Nov 3, 2010
By mounting I mean connect the USB cable, then under the Notification Icon, Tap "USB Connected, Select to copy files to/from your computer"

Do you know if there is a tutorial out there for installing the Root Explorer or Astro file manager on this thing? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Last edited:

dsf767

Oct 5, 2007
Marshfield, MA
VERY NICE WORK!

FYI I reposted this on the slatedroid.com forum gave you credit and linked back to this thread. If you don't want it on there let me know and I will take it down.

tri0xinn

Jul 11, 2008
by the way.. All I did to get this working was install the apk's in order and reboot. I do have a problem .. I can't find some apps on the market.. for example winamp doesnt show up..just the winamp 3rd party app.
Anyone else?

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008
by the way.. All I did to get this working was install the apk's in order and reboot. I do have a problem .. I can't find some apps on the market.. for example winamp doesnt show up..just the winamp 3rd party app.
Anyone else?

I will look into that. The most likely reason is the lack of a unique Android ID.

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
great work man. Just saw the video.

I'm still trying to get adb access. First thing I did was modded the usb files but not the 64bit cuz I didn't see it. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Modded the 32bit one and added the Nvidia tegra info. Then tried adb and the oneclickroot and it didn't work. I then went in and found the amd64 area and added the lines to that portion of the usb.ini file also.

I don't have adb working to root. I'm on Win 7 64bit. any idea's. Then I'll try your guide.

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008

I'm still trying to get adb access. First thing I did was modded the usb files but not the 64bit cuz I didn't see it. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Modded the 32bit one and added the Nvidia tegra info. Then tried adb and the oneclickroot and it didn't work. I then went in and found the amd64 area and added the lines to that portion of the usb.ini file also.

I don't have adb working to root. I'm on Win 7 64bit. any idea's. Then I'll try your guide.

Gunth you want me to help over Teamviewer? :p

insight3fl

Oct 11, 2009
My files are in place, but the APK files are not "installing" on boot and the tablet sets up normaly and gmail app is not there. I have tried going back in and changing R/O in root explorer, but still not go.. what am I missing? Can these files be pushed to the tablet via adb or do you have to use root explorer? Seems I had the same problem when I did this with my Odroid T.. I tried root explorer but ended up pushing with adb.

Thanks for your work on this

hmmm... it says "install"... I need to launch them from explorer and actualy "install" them? then reboot?

Last edited:

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008
My files are in place, but the APK files are not "installing" on boot and the tablet sets up normaly and gmail app is not there. I have tried going back in and changing R/O in root explorer, but still not go.. what am I missing? Can these files be pushed to the tablet via adb or do you have to use root explorer? Seems I had the same problem when I did this with my Odroid T.. I tried root explorer but ended up pushing with adb.

Thanks for your work on this

hmmm... it says "install"... I need to launch them from explorer and actualy "install" them? then reboot?

You need to run each APK manually through Root Explorer (or any package installer of your choice). Placing them there does not do anything :D

shadowclock

Sep 15, 2010

I'm having the same issue Gunth so when you get it working let me know :(

doc_lee

Aug 10, 2006
Just finished up installing the apks. Got a problem though. Now my home and search buttons don't work. Also lost Airplane mode when powering off.

*EDIT* Just watched your video. I don't think that's a finicky button. I think this hack causes the problem.

*EDIT 2* Just did a reset. Home button and search work again. So, it's got to be the hack.

Doc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've tried this twice already with a factory reset in between each try, and it's worked both times! :D

Attached is a bunch of files you will need to make this work.

1. Download the attached Zip file and extrat the contents to your desktop
    2. Mount your G and upload the "G Tablet" folder to your G's internal SD card
    3. Using AndRootFile or any other file manager that supports root access, mount as R/W, and copy the contents of G Tablet\permissions to System\etc\permissions.
    4. Copy the contents of G Tablet\framework to System\Framework
    5. Copy the contents of G Tablet\lib to System\lib
    6. Copy all the APK's found inside G Tablet\APK into your system\app folder.
    7. Install them in this order:
      1. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
      2. OneTimeInitializer.apk
      3. SetupWizard.apk
      4. Talk.apk
      5. Vending.apk
      6. Gmail.apk
      7. Maps.apk
    8. Make sure you remount it as R/O when you're done!
    9. Restart your G, Connect to Wifi, then launch Market.
    10. Follow the standard Google Account setup procedure and enjoy your newly installed Market. :D

PROOF THAT IT WORKS (the guide might be broken at some point though, see explanation below): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm2Kax8RQM

Someone please test this and let me know if you have any problems. Factory resetting doesn't delete any files I might have moved into the system folder so I might be missing something in this guide.

Feel free to donate to my beer fund if this helped you :)

Copying the following over from my thread over at Overclock.net (best computer enthusiast community, ever!)

Guides:

Setting Up ADB:
    The ADB drivers do not recognize the Tegra hardware by default. You need to modify the USB inf file in order for it to recognize it and install the proper hardware.

1. Go to the usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK folder
    2. Open up android_winusb.inf
    3. Add the following under [Google.NTx86] and save (or if you prefer, download my pre-modified android_winusb.inf attached to the bottom of this post, and replace your existing android_winusb.inf with mine).
      Code:
      ;NVIDIA Tegra
      %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
      %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
    4. If you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, you need to add that code to the [Google.NTamd64] section as well.
    5. Next, open a command prompt and type
      Code:
      echo 0x955 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
    6. On your G, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check "USB Debugging"
    7. Plug in your USB cable, it will tell you that some drivers were not installed. That's okay! Point it to your usb_driver folder and it'll install the proper drivers.
    8. Make sure ADB is working by opening a command prompt, navigating to your android sdk "tools" folder, and typing
      Code:
      adb devices
      You should see a bunch of numbers if everything is set up correctly.

Rooting:
    You need to have ADB fully working before proceeding. The easiest way to root is by using CLShortFuse's SuperOneClick. If you can spare the money, consider donating a buck or two to his beer fund :D
    1. Connect your G and make sure USB debugging is enabled/ADB is working.
    2. Extract the contents of SuperOneClickv1.5.2-ShortFuse.zip to a folder of your choice.
    3. Run SuperOneClick.exe and click on Root. Wait for the process to finish, and you're rooted! Easy as pie.

Installing Launcher Pro/ADW:
    It's actually really easy.
    1. Download the Launcher Pro APK from here: http://www.launcherpro.com/apk/LauncherPro-0.8.1.1.apk
    2. Connect your G and move the Launcher APK over to your Tablet's internal/external SD card.
    3. Using whatever file manager you prefer (on your G), execute the Launcher Pro APK and install it.
    4. Upon completion, hit the Home button and choose LauncherPro as your default launcher.
    5. Reboot and feel the speed!

Fixes:

Wifi Fix:
    If your Wifi "errors" upon enabling, try one of the following methods

Method 1:
    1. Reboot. Seriously, it fixes the problem a large portion of the time. :)

Method 2:
    1. Download Wefi from here: http://www.wefi.com/download/android/
    2. Install the APK on your G.
    3. Run WeFi, hit the menu button (button between back and home), and hit Settings
    4. Make sure Automatic Startup is checked. Click on "Wi-Fi on WeFi start" and choose "Always Turn On"
    5. Restart your G and pray. :D
    Method 3: Master Reset (you will lose all your apps)
    1. Go to settings -> Security and do a Factory Wipe.
      This works only SOMETIMES, but is not a guaranteed fix, so only use this as a last ditch resort
    Fantastic.. worked like a champ!

Thanks!
    I have everything working except for the file manager. I know that you need it to install the apk's, but how do you get it installed in the first place???

You can use the built in File Manager (ES File Explorer) to install the file manager with Root access

Its a typo, he meant the APP folder

Good catch! Fixed
    Hi every one I have a Toshiba Folio 100 and I can running the market or gemail app but android ask my account and after few minute i get "can't be establish a reliable data connection to the server"

Unless you're willing / able to provide a working Adobe Flash package for us from your device...

Please don't clutter this thread with non relevant Folio 100 posts. This thread is for the ViewSonic GTablet. Instead, post to an existing thread specifically about your device or make a new thread. Thanks! :cool:
    I am totally new to this, in fact I just got my gtab two days ago. On your instructions for adding Market, gmail, and Maps, I am assuming that you have to root the gtab first before you even try to run AddRootFile and copy the files from the zip. Is this correct?

Thank you

M

You are correct, Root Access first which enables you to use the root File Explorer to copy in the necessary files.