[Heimdall][Odin][Stock][Root]UCLE5 Stock ICS 4.0.3 with Root

Search This thread

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
This is a Heimdall/Odin flashable pre-rooted stock UCLE5. This is the exact version that was released over Kies, and contains the bone stock kernel, plus rooted system, modem, cache.img and hidden.img. There are no bootloaders in this package. With this package, you can root stock ICS without incrementing the flash counter.

WARNING: THIS ALMOST CERTAINLY CONTAINS THE eMMC SUPERBRICK BUG.
See this for my considered opinion.

This package is safe to use as long as you read and follow the instructions here, and replace the stock kernel with a known good kernel.

Before 7/8/2012 there were no actual reports of damage from the eMMC brick bug in this firmware release. However, someone has bricked their phone by doing a wipe data/factory reset from a phone with UCLE5 installed and the stock kernel still installed on the phone. Please see this thread. Read the whole thread, but especially pay attention to posts #12 and 16 by Entropy512, one of our elite developers who is very knowledgable about this phone. The person with the bricked phone has confirmed by testing that eMMC memory block mmcblk0p10 was damaged during the wipe data/facotry reset, thus appearantly confirming that the eMMC brick bug is present in the UCLE5 stock kernel. It is particularly important for anyone using this firmware to be careful. It will be completely safe to use this firmware with a known safe kernel. But with the stock kernel still installed, anyone's phone could potentially be at risk.

If flashing this from another base, you should perform a wipe data/factory reset before you flash this package. The stock kernel in this package can potentially cause eMMC chip damage to phones with suseptable memory chips while performing certain memory erase operations. Therefore, it is imperative to avoid doing a wipe data/factory reset with this kernel, and also a very good idea to replace this kernel with a known safe kernel. If flashing this package from UCLE5 to obtain root, it should be fine to flash it without doing a wipe, and retain your personal settings.

This Rooted package does not include busybox. If you need busybox, you can install it from the Google Play Store.

Kernel + Modem + Cache + Rooted UCLE5 System Package: Hotfile | Dev-Host 292.18 MB

Download and extract the tar package using 7-Zip, which can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html. Put UCLE5_Stock_Rooted.tar in the PDA slot in Odin.

Download the Odin3 v1.85 package from MediaFire or xda-developers, or another source of your choice. Odin3 v1.82 will also work.

To flash with Heimdall command line, extract the individual files from the tar and flash the components with heimdall from the commandline as follows:
Code:
heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --modem modem.bin --cache cache.img --hidden hidden.img

Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.2 at this writing.)

Three different ways to install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone without incrementing the flash counter.
You must use an ICS kernel, and it must work with Samsung firmware, and be the no-mic-swap version. If you install a Gingerbread kernel the phone will not boot.

The main Kernel options are: Siyah v4.3.3 by Ktoonsez | Siyah v5.1.1 by AJ Newkirk (use the one without mic swap)
Kernel options are: AJ Newkirk/Siyah v3.3.3d ICS | ktoonsez/Siyah v3.4.3 ICS | N.E.A.K. ICS

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from your phone, using Mobile Odin Lite or Mobile Odin Pro
  • This is the preferred method to install a customized kernel onto your phone. In addition, Mobile Odin is a very useful tool that will allow you to install custom software directly on your phone without using a computer.
  • Mobile Odin Lite (free) can be downloaded and installed directly on your phone, or it can be downloaded to your computer and installed with adb. Alternatively, you can purchase Mobile Odin Pro for under $5.00 and install it directly from the Google Play Store. It's easier, and you'll support the developer!
  • To use Mobile Odin Lite, download the file attached to the OP of this thread. You may need to be a registerd member of xda forums to download this file. Download directly on your phone, or to your computer and move or copy it to your phones sdcard. Using any file manager such as MyFiles or Root Explorer, select the file and install it. You can also install it from your computer using the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb install MobileODINLite-v2.45.apk
  • Download the file containing the kernel you want to flash, and extract from it the zImage, which contains the actual kernel.
  • Transfer the zImage to the root of your phone's internal or external sdcard, using a usb cable or another method such as dropbox.
  • On your phone, open the Mobile Odin program. If you installed Mobile Odin Lite, when it prompts you to install the add-in, click cancel. If you installed Mobile Odin Pro, you will have already downloaded and installed the add-in to activate all the features in the program. With Mobile Odin Lite, you will still be able to install the kernel.
  • In Mobile Odin, click on Kernel or Install Kernel, find and select the zImage on your internal or external SD card, and then click on Flash Firmware.
  • Mobile Odin will flash the kernel and then reboot the phone. You have now installed a custom kernel containing clockworkMod Recovery without changing the flash counter.
  • If you want to confirm installation of the new kernel, reboot into recovery to verify that you now have ClockworkMod Recovery. (The stock kernel has 3e recovery.) Or install CPU Spy from the Google Play Store (before you root) and compare the Kernel Info it displays with the same info from the stock kernel.
  • To reboot into recovery on the SGH-I777: With the phone powered off, hold down the vol up + vol down + power buttons continuously until the initial boot screen appears a second time.
  • The 5.0.2.3 and later versions of ClockworkMod Recovery have a different button configuration. Home = select, Back = back, Power = back from submenu or toggle logo/main menu. The 5.0.2.7 and later versions of ClockworkMod Recovery retain this button configuration but change it to Power = select.
  • If you installed Mobile Odin Lite, and you don't want to keep it, you can uninstall it now. If you want to keep it and activate all its features, download the add-on MobileODIN_FlashKernel_I777-v1.0.apk from here and install it on your phone with adb using the instructions above.

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from a pc, using Android Debug Bridge (Windows, Linux and Mac OS)
  • Download and install the Android Software Developer Kit (SDK) from here. You may need to run SDK Manager with administrator privledges.
  • You need to have the USB drivers for SGH-I777 installed on your computer. (It will be "Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones" in Control Panel\Uninstall Programs.) Download and install the latest drivers from this thread. (x86 and x64)
  • You will need busybox. If not already installed, download and install busybox from the Google Play Store.
  • Download the file containing the kernel you want to flash, and extract from it the zImage, which contains the actual kernel.
  • Move or copy the zImage into the platform-tools directory (on older installations it is the tools directory) where adb.exe resides. This will be something like (on Windows) c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
  • On your phone, first enable USB Debugging (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development\USB Debugging) and then plug in your USB cable, connecting your phone to your computer.
  • Open a command prompt. Change directory to the tools directory, then enter the following at the command line:
    Code:
    adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage
    adb shell
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    # exit
    $ exit
  • The dd command requires superuser permission on the phone represented by a # prompt. After you type su and hit enter, look for a superuser window on your phone and give the permission. If the permission request doesn't pop up, open superuser on your phone to force the phone to prompt for superuser permission. After approval, the adb session will be listed as Unknown in superuser.
  • After you've finished, the code in the Command prompt window will look something like this (your command prompt and some numbers will be different):
    Code:
    C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage
    4279 KB/s <4776784 bytes in 1.090s>
    C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    10153+1 records in
    10153+1 records out
    5198492 bytes transferred in 2.558 secs <2032248 bytes/sec>
    # exit
    exit
    $ exit
    exit
  • Reboot the phone. You have now installed a custom kernel containing clockworkMod Recovery without changing the flash counter.
  • If you want to confirm installation of the new kernel, reboot into recovery to verify that you now have ClockworkMod Recovery. (The stock kernel has 3e recovery.) Or install CPU Spy from the Google Play Store (before you root) and compare the Kernel Info it displays with the same info from the stock kernel.
  • To reboot into recovery on the SGH-I777: With the phone powered off, hold down the vol up + vol down + power buttons continuously until the initial boot screen appears a second time.
  • The 5.0.2.3 and later versions of ClockworkMod Recovery have a different button configuration. Home = select, Back = back, Power = back from submenu or toggle logo/main menu. The 5.0.2.7 and later versions of ClockworkMod Recovery retain this button configuration but change it to Power = select.

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from your phone, using Android Terminal Emulator
  • Download and Install Android Terminal Emulator onto your phone from the Google Play Store.
  • You will need busybox. If not already installed, download and install busybox from the Google Play Store.
  • Download (onto your PC) the file containing the kernel you want to flash, and extract from it the zImage, which contains the actual kernel.
  • Transfer the zImage to the root of your phone's sdcard, using a usb cable or another method such as dropbox.
  • On the phone, open a terminal session with Android Terminal Emulator.
  • A few points to be aware of:
    Android is a version of linux so you are using linux commands. Linux commands are case sensitive, so you must for instance type "zImage" and not "zimage", if that is the way the file is spelled on the sd card.
    Since this will be the first time you have used superuser.apk with the terminal, you may need to approve it on you phone. After that, superuser permission will be remembered.
    When you first open a terminal session, you will be at the root of the phone, or essentially "/". The $ prompt means shell access, the # prompt means root file access.
    You need a # prompt to complete this Step.
    If your keyboard goes away, use the menu button options to get it back.
  • In the terminal session, type su and then enter. You will get a superuser request. Once you approve it, you will get the # prompt.
  • Then type the following:
    Code:
  • Press enter, wait till the zImage is copied over to the named block. (takes about 2 or 3 seconds)
  • To close the root session, type "exit" and enter. Use the back button to close Android Terminal Emulator.
  • Reboot the phone. You have now installed a custom kernel containing clockworkMod Recovery without changing the flash counter.

Last edited:

yaswanth.y.s

Sep 10, 2008
You da man!!!!

Been having issues with broken CWM for awhile. Used your guides to unroot... then root again and flash custom Kernel with CWM again. Thanks fixed all my issues.

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
OnePlus 6
Excellent write-up creepy (as usual)...this is what alot of people have been waiting for and you have delivered! Covered all the bases too...now all anyone needs to get the official ICS is this thread and some reading comprehension!

Tophaholic

Jul 1, 2008
Columbus, IN
Hi - can this tar be installed using Mobile Odin Lite and the i777 flash kernel? Or do I have to use heimdall or desktop odin only?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Hi - can this tar be installed using Mobile Odin Lite and the i777 flash kernel? Or do I have to use heimdall or desktop odin only?

Mobile Oden will flash from a tar file. I haven't tested it but I assume it will flash everything in this tar file, since there are no boot loaders. Since you are asking, I assume you are already rooted in have mobile oden.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Tophaholic

Jul 1, 2008
Columbus, IN
Mobile Oden will flash from a tar file. I haven't tested it but I assume it will flash everything in this tar file, since there are no boot loaders. Since you are asking, I assume you are already rooted in have mobile oden.

Thank You!!!...someone finally gets my question. Its so easy on these forums to say "did you read the OP?" of course I did - not once but 10 times. but did not see anything about using mobile odin for flashing the tar file.

Yes I am rooted and have been toying with various ROMs and kernels. Was thinking about installing the stock UCLE5 with stock kernel (take the risk) and see if I like it. If not will install a custom kernel with CWM.

one more question for you - The brick bug that was there on the leaks was only if u restored from CWM after flashing the leak? So if I flash the above official release and keep the stock kernel whats my risk if I do not restore from CWM?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
one more question for you - The brick bug that was there on the leaks was only if u restored from CWM after flashing the leak? So if I flash the above official release and keep the stock kernel whats my risk if I do not restore from CWM?

No. I don't understand all the internal details, but I think it is when erasing from eMMC memory. Thus a wipe data/factory reset will also damage the chip, and maybe a few other operations.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
You could always untar the whole archive and copy all the pieces to your phone for Mobile Odin.

The eMMC dealio is some erase method they compiled the kernel with that happens to corrupt the memory when you wipe. Its both a kernel problem as well as buggy firmware with the internal memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mjluber

Dec 19, 2009
Battery Question.

Installed this ROM with no problems. Interestinly I can once again use KIES which I couldn't since rooting with other kernels, and ROM's. My question is has anyone had issues with batrtery performance since the ROM install as my battery life seems to be really dismal?

dhaval33

Oct 17, 2011
Ok so just to get it clear....i can wipe my UnNamed and install the package in cwm without encountering the flash problem and just to be safe i can install a custom kernel to replace the stock. Usually i would install it with cwm then why do i have to use mobile odin or any other methods stated here. is it because of the eMMC chip issue?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Ok so just to get it clear....i can wipe my UnNamed and install the package in cwm without encountering the flash problem and just to be safe i can install a custom kernel to replace the stock. Usually i would install it with cwm then why do i have to use mobile odin or any other methods stated here. is it because of the eMMC chip issue?

Yes, you have it right. And the reason you can't use ClockworkMod Recovery is because the stock rom has a stock kernel with 3e recovery.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010

Yes, you have it right. And the reason you can't use ClockworkMod Recovery is because the stock rom has a stock kernel with 3e recovery.

I mis-read your original question. I gave you the wrong answer. You can not flash a tar in cwm. You will need to use Odin or Heimdall from a personal computer. Or, since you are coming from UnNamed, you can install Mobile Odin and flash it from your phone if you wish.

Last edited:

G4 Man2

May 4, 2011
Coffeyville
I'm having trouble getting my s2 recognized by odin, I've tried the drivers on the samsung site and the ones that come with kies mini and odin still doesn't recognize it. Can anyone help me?

Okay now im using the drivers from the not mini version of kies and it detects the phone but it now shows 2 different ID:COMs. I'm not sure if thats normal or not, i think one is the samsung mobile usb modem and the other is the samsung mobile usb cdc composite device.. It lets me select which one i want to use but idk which one i want to use and idk which is which..

Nevermind. idk what the other thing it detected was because i have nothing else plugged into my computer but i unplugged the phone and the first port went away on odin and the modem and cdc composite device both left the device manager so i plugged it back in and just clicked the first one and now it works

Last edited:

dhaval33

Oct 17, 2011

I mis-read your original question. I gave you the wrong answer. You can not flash a tar in cwm. You will need to use Odin or Heimdall from a personal computer. Or, since you are coming from UnNamed, you can install Mobile Odin and flash it from your phone if you wish.

Ok so do i need to wipe and then use mobile odin or no wipe will do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Heimdall/Odin flashable pre-rooted stock UCLE5. This is the exact version that was released over Kies, and contains the bone stock kernel, plus rooted system, modem, cache.img and hidden.img. There are no bootloaders in this package. With this package, you can root stock ICS without incrementing the flash counter.

WARNING: THIS ALMOST CERTAINLY CONTAINS THE eMMC SUPERBRICK BUG.
    See this for my considered opinion.

This package is safe to use as long as you read and follow the instructions here, and replace the stock kernel with a known good kernel.

Before 7/8/2012 there were no actual reports of damage from the eMMC brick bug in this firmware release. However, someone has bricked their phone by doing a wipe data/factory reset from a phone with UCLE5 installed and the stock kernel still installed on the phone. Please see this thread. Read the whole thread, but especially pay attention to posts #12 and 16 by Entropy512, one of our elite developers who is very knowledgable about this phone. The person with the bricked phone has confirmed by testing that eMMC memory block mmcblk0p10 was damaged during the wipe data/facotry reset, thus appearantly confirming that the eMMC brick bug is present in the UCLE5 stock kernel. It is particularly important for anyone using this firmware to be careful. It will be completely safe to use this firmware with a known safe kernel. But with the stock kernel still installed, anyone's phone could potentially be at risk.

If flashing this from another base, you should perform a wipe data/factory reset before you flash this package. The stock kernel in this package can potentially cause eMMC chip damage to phones with suseptable memory chips while performing certain memory erase operations. Therefore, it is imperative to avoid doing a wipe data/factory reset with this kernel, and also a very good idea to replace this kernel with a known safe kernel. If flashing this package from UCLE5 to obtain root, it should be fine to flash it without doing a wipe, and retain your personal settings.

This Rooted package does not include busybox. If you need busybox, you can install it from the Google Play Store.

Kernel + Modem + Cache + Rooted UCLE5 System Package: Hotfile | Dev-Host 292.18 MB

Download and extract the tar package using 7-Zip, which can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html. Put UCLE5_Stock_Rooted.tar in the PDA slot in Odin.

Download the Odin3 v1.85 package from MediaFire or xda-developers, or another source of your choice. Odin3 v1.82 will also work.

To flash with Heimdall command line, extract the individual files from the tar and flash the components with heimdall from the commandline as follows:
    Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --factoryfs factoryfs.img --modem modem.bin --cache cache.img --hidden hidden.img

Download and install the latest version of Heimdall Command Line for your operating system from here. (Latest version 1.3.2 at this writing.)

Three different ways to install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone without incrementing the flash counter.
    You must use an ICS kernel, and it must work with Samsung firmware, and be the no-mic-swap version. If you install a Gingerbread kernel the phone will not boot.

The main Kernel options are: Siyah v4.3.3 by Ktoonsez | Siyah v5.1.1 by AJ Newkirk (use the one without mic swap)
    Kernel options are: AJ Newkirk/Siyah v3.3.3d ICS | ktoonsez/Siyah v3.4.3 ICS | N.E.A.K. ICS

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from your phone, using Mobile Odin Lite or Mobile Odin Pro
    • This is the preferred method to install a customized kernel onto your phone. In addition, Mobile Odin is a very useful tool that will allow you to install custom software directly on your phone without using a computer.
    • Mobile Odin Lite (free) can be downloaded and installed directly on your phone, or it can be downloaded to your computer and installed with adb. Alternatively, you can purchase Mobile Odin Pro for under $5.00 and install it directly from the Google Play Store. It's easier, and you'll support the developer!
    • To use Mobile Odin Lite, download the file attached to the OP of this thread. You may need to be a registerd member of xda forums to download this file. Download directly on your phone, or to your computer and move or copy it to your phones sdcard. Using any file manager such as MyFiles or Root Explorer, select the file and install it. You can also install it from your computer using the following adb command:
      Code:
      adb install MobileODINLite-v2.45.apk
    • Transfer the zImage to the root of your phone's internal or external sdcard, using a usb cable or another method such as dropbox.
    • On your phone, open the Mobile Odin program. If you installed Mobile Odin Lite, when it prompts you to install the add-in, click cancel. If you installed Mobile Odin Pro, you will have already downloaded and installed the add-in to activate all the features in the program. With Mobile Odin Lite, you will still be able to install the kernel.
    • In Mobile Odin, click on Kernel or Install Kernel, find and select the zImage on your internal or external SD card, and then click on Flash Firmware.
    • Mobile Odin will flash the kernel and then reboot the phone. You have now installed a custom kernel containing clockworkMod Recovery without changing the flash counter.
    • If you installed Mobile Odin Lite, and you don't want to keep it, you can uninstall it now. If you want to keep it and activate all its features, download the add-on MobileODIN_FlashKernel_I777-v1.0.apk from here and install it on your phone with adb using the instructions above.

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from a pc, using Android Debug Bridge (Windows, Linux and Mac OS)
    • Download and install the Android Software Developer Kit (SDK) from here. You may need to run SDK Manager with administrator privledges.
    • You need to have the USB drivers for SGH-I777 installed on your computer. (It will be "Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones" in Control Panel\Uninstall Programs.) Download and install the latest drivers from this thread. (x86 and x64)
    • Move or copy the zImage into the platform-tools directory (on older installations it is the tools directory) where adb.exe resides. This will be something like (on Windows) c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
    • On your phone, first enable USB Debugging (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development\USB Debugging) and then plug in your USB cable, connecting your phone to your computer.
    • Open a command prompt. Change directory to the tools directory, then enter the following at the command line:
      Code:
      adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage
      adb shell
      $ su
      # exit
      $ exit
    • The dd command requires superuser permission on the phone represented by a # prompt. After you type su and hit enter, look for a superuser window on your phone and give the permission. If the permission request doesn't pop up, open superuser on your phone to force the phone to prompt for superuser permission. After approval, the adb session will be listed as Unknown in superuser.
    • After you've finished, the code in the Command prompt window will look something like this (your command prompt and some numbers will be different):
      Code:
      C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage
      4279 KB/s <4776784 bytes in 1.090s>
      C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
      $ su
      su
      10153+1 records in
      10153+1 records out
      5198492 bytes transferred in 2.558 secs <2032248 bytes/sec>
      # exit
      exit
      $ exit
      exit

How to Install a customized kernel containing ClockworkMod Recovery onto your Rooted phone from your phone, using Android Terminal Emulator
    • Download and Install Android Terminal Emulator onto your phone from the Google Play Store.
    • Download (onto your PC) the file containing the kernel you want to flash, and extract from it the zImage, which contains the actual kernel.
    • Transfer the zImage to the root of your phone's sdcard, using a usb cable or another method such as dropbox.
    • On the phone, open a terminal session with Android Terminal Emulator.
    • A few points to be aware of:
      Android is a version of linux so you are using linux commands. Linux commands are case sensitive, so you must for instance type "zImage" and not "zimage", if that is the way the file is spelled on the sd card.
      Since this will be the first time you have used superuser.apk with the terminal, you may need to approve it on you phone. After that, superuser permission will be remembered.
      When you first open a terminal session, you will be at the root of the phone, or essentially "/". The $ prompt means shell access, the # prompt means root file access.
      You need a # prompt to complete this Step.
      If your keyboard goes away, use the menu button options to get it back.
    • In the terminal session, type su and then enter. You will get a superuser request. Once you approve it, you will get the # prompt.
    • Then type the following:
      Code:
    • Press enter, wait till the zImage is copied over to the named block. (takes about 2 or 3 seconds)
    • To close the root session, type "exit" and enter. Use the back button to close Android Terminal Emulator.
    Is the untouched I777UCLE5 that was on SamMobile mirrored anywhere. It hasn't been readded yet.

I've been updating the files in the Download Repository slowly, but I haven't uploaded that one yet. I'll try to get it up tonight, so check back later. You can download it if it is a dev host link. (d-h.st)

Edit: the file is now available
    The only practical way to root UCLE5 is with this package. AFAIK, none of the other root methods will work on ICS, except possibly flashing a kernel that can inject root, and that will increment the flash counter, if it matters to you. You should be able to flash this over your stock firmware without having to wipe.

You cannot use Cherrypicker. as there is not a no_swap version available that I am aware of.

What? There's an AOSP version and a Touchwiz version (based on Entropy's source). Are you saying that both versions are mic swap?

If that's the case, then why does creepyncrawly have that as an option in the OP?