[HOW TO]Jtag a HTC Touch Elf(in)

Search This thread

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Wow Stu, nice link !!! Next question will be, Do I need to load the SPL only via No Ice Debugger, or IPL too? On Russian website, they only mention the SPL. I'll try SPL first :)

This is my device info, a moment before I upgraded to Cooked Rom :
HTC Touch device information - by dsixda

Touch version : Elf
Device ID : ELF010000
CID : DOPOD001
IPL : 1.11.0002
SPL : 1.11.0000
ROM Version : 1.11.707.1B
ExtROM Version : 1.11.707.101
Operator Version: None
AKU Version : 0.2.3
Page Pool : 8 MB
RAM Size : 64 MB
ROM Size : 128 MB
Model No. : ELF0300
Part Number : 99HDM034-00
MCC+MNC : Not found

I'll plan to Load Cooked Rom, guess yesterday was not my lucky because, in my case, before my device died, I used the Old SPL but in unlock mode to load the cooked rom. Yesterday when I finally connected to my device (detected via USB), guess my mistake was I loaded the shipped ROM, so it was failed.

Next, If I'm lucky and I can connect to my device, I'll try to load the Cooked Rom instead.

Last edited:

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
STU....I MADE IT !!!!

MY TOUCH LIVE AGAIN !!!!

Tomorrow or at least monday, I'll post the experience :p
I have something important to do with my family tonight and tomorrow.

BTW...I am using the Amman's SPL you gave me, and the SHIPPED ROM, the way I repaired exactly the same with previous experience, only this time I'm using a permanent PCB to make JTAG Circuit !

Thanks for your inspiration, STU !

Without your thread, this thing will never get work !

Thanks Again,

Best Regards,
Bom81

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Bom, Thats brilliant news :) Well done, I'm really glad that you have managed to fix your elf, its really good to see!

I look forward to your post, in the mean time, its time for me to Solder!

Have a good time with your family Bom :)

And no thanks needed, I hoped to return something to XDA for all the help I have found here, and its nice to be a part of it all.

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Stu, try to make a Wiggler JTAG circuit for your previous board. Don't estimate first that the board is broken. If I do not forget, you made a simple JTAG Circuit with five resistors only, while the Wiggler seems a good circuit to our processor. Make a permanent one with PCB, hope the board is Ok :)

I'll try to post mine tomorrow! (I'm now on the street :D, on my way to my home now)
Thanks

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I'm working on doing one that is buffered, should hopefully solve it too. I have it half done, just very manic this weekend and have just got back from football (soccer) so will be soldering away again tonight!

Stu

Last edited:

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hi Stu, I've compiled the PDF Document and please check if there's something wrong in it.

BTW, How's you're going? On Which step are you right now?

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Hi Stu, I've compiled the PDF Document and please check if there's something wrong in it.

BTW, How's you're going? On Which step are you right now?

Just downloading your guide now but won't be able to see until i get home. I'm still making my pcb wriggler, not had as much time this weekend, and will be somewhat slow today as i have dislocated my shoulder this morning! I hope to get all my soldering done today, its just taking so long as i can only do it when i have my little girl asleep otherwise she'd want to "help” when thats done i can test it when ever i am at home.

Thanks for making your guide bom!

How's your phone holding up? Running as if nothing happened?

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Yes.running normally.

I've even upgraded it to ONYX 4.9 Ultimate this morning using Aman's IPL 2.27.0002 and SPL 2.28.0000.

Still same at condition before, there's a thin horizontal line below the Start icon (this line come from the taskbar's rectangle which hold the Start Icon) which shown every display. Not very clear, but if you see it through, you'll able to see it. Even in camera view, there's this line, but when I took a picture with the camera, and open the result file, this line does not exist, means that it is just shown on LCD, not in the system.

Actually this is an old habbit of my phone. this is the cause I downgraded my touch before from Onyx to its dumping ROM (because I think the Onyx 4.8 does not suite with my device so the thin line came up on screen) and make the device dead.

But this time I'll let this happen and hopefully, that does not break my LCD. BTW, I've posted this strange thing on ONYX Thread. I'll post the picture once I got my digital camera so you will be able to see it.

Regards,
Bom81

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I'm glad your phone is working as normal :)

I have now remade my wriggler, now just need to wire it to my device and test it. Hopefully will be tonight if i am not asleep.

When done i'll post some pics of my setup and the outcome.

Stu

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I think I'm about to kill something!

I can't get it to connect, I have completely rebuilt the circuit, the connections are all fine, it all goes through, but I have nothing! it doesn't want to detect the target!

The LPT port is setup correctly, and is working okay, but it just won't connect!

Did you have to hold power and camera or anything bom? There is no mention in guide. I have tried with and without, and nothing!

Thanks for your help,

Stu

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Attached are some images if my setup in use.

I'm going to try another unbuffered circuit to see how that goes, and my spare test should hopefully be here tomorrow to see if it is my device or not.

Stu

Attachments

• 04052010015-001.jpg
    04052010015-001.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 04052010016-001.jpg
    04052010016-001.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 04052010017-001.jpg
    04052010017-001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 79

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hi Stu,

Sorry to answer lately!

You don't have to push any buttons on touch's board when you're trying to connect with HJTAG.

As long as the JTAG Circuit get the power source (could be from USB Charger of Battery) and the board also get the power source, you will be connected with your board through HJTAG. As long as the HJTAG Software shows the code of processor as the picture in PDF tutorial, it is connected.

Have you checked your JTAG Circuit? because last time, I made a mistake by connected wrongly between IC's pins and JTAG Cables to board.

regards,
bom81

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I had checked, but I will be doing looking again tonight. I'll be looking at your pics again to compare the circuit to see where mine differs, and to see if I have indeed wired it up wrong, which is a possibility to be honest!

(Time to buy some more stripboard!)

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Actually if you're looking mine, I'm worry that your head will get spinning around..hehehe...it is too complicated to see :)

Just trace as the wiring diagram of the wiggler JTAG Stu. Hope you'll be success tonight !

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I'm going to try swapping the IC chip for another tonight as well as I wonder if the one I am using now is faulty or something - luckily I have 2!

And yeah, your pics are a little crazy, but I think I can make it all out which is lucky!

I'm not sure what you can make out from my pics - they're a bit shiny due to the flash on the metal though.

I'll try fixing my circuit tonight, with any luck I can get it working, if my second test device comes, I'll also test on there which should hopefully tell me if it is the board or not - I'm hoping thats not the case though!

Cheers for your input Bom :)

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
I'm not sure what you can make out from my pics - they're a bit shiny due to the flash on the metal though.

Stu

Yours is fine, I can see it clearly. I see that your LPT PORT is an extension port from your computer's motherboard. Could this be a problem? My comp's motherboard has a LPT Port directly to it. IMHO, Sometime, a program like HJTAG that using first level of computer's language (assembly or something like that -- I guess) does not work with any extension ports.

I almost suggested to you yesterday to try your JTAG Circuit with your ELF which is working (not a broken one) just to test that the LPT Port is OK and the JTAG circuit you made is OK !!!! But that, would be a crazy suggestion :)

BTW...actually you don't need to solder the cable to + & - port of your touch's board Stu. Just tight it, and put your battery on it, that will press the cable to the + & - port of the battery. Do you use the charger to power up your board? If so, then I would suggest you to replace it with battery and plug the USB Cable to USB Port of your computer. Because once the bootloader is run into Touch's RAM, we'll never get a chance to replace the USB charger with USB cable as it is will shut down the board and we will lost the bootloader that run in RAM and we'll miss a chance to get it connected with computer. (I remember your idea to put on the back cover to board so I can put the battery easily...brilliant idea !!! :) )

Keep trying Stu !!! I'll look forward your good result !!!

Best Regards,
Bom81

PS : It's GMT +7 here! Yesterday I've fall sleep when you posted your result, when I just wanted to answer your posts, the jobs in office got a little messy and needed to take care of them ! LOL...:)

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Yup, it is a PCI LPT port expansion. I was wondering this too late last night, I am tempted to now go an buy a ExpressCard slot to put into my laptop, as people have had success with that. I won't be doing this until maybe the weekend, as I have now got a third touch (well it is in the post office for me to collect, but I'll be getting that today when I go to vote :p) If the JTAG works on that, with my current setup, I'd suspect that the other board is dead.

When I do a test for the JTAG port though in HJTAG, it does pick the LPT port up and say that it is working correctly - I did have to manually configure it, as LPT 1 and 2 were not getting picked up, that is due to the IO address of my LPT PCI card.

I'm not using the charger to power it up, that was my USB cable plugged into it, at that point I was willing to try anything. I had tried just powering from the battery, but I had no joy with that, got annoyed, and soldered the cables to the + / - pins to see if that worked :p The power is being pulled via the board, I haven't yet tried it with the battery in as well as the cables.

I am also wondering if it is the type of connection I have going into teh LPT port, I am using an LPT PCB Socket, apposed to one from an actual LPT cable - whilst I don't think this make a difference, as it all connects fine, I am going to try again tonight with my last remaining connector from the LPT cable to see if that makes any difference.

I'm going to try a few more things tonight, to see how it goes, and probabaly will end up making a new board from scratch again on the weekend if all else fails.

Thanks for your help Bom,

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City

Thanks for your help Bom,

Stu

LOL...No Stu, it is me who Thanks for your help!!! ;)
Without your thread and all the informations you gathered (of which, even me could not find before), this JTAG to HTC Touch is only like "told story from past centuries before"! LOL :D
(BTW, yes I read from www.forexfactory.com that UK has Parliamentary Election today! Have a good Vote Stu!)

I'm very sorry to hear that you're facing problem with your board. I wish I'm in England and could lend my computer and my JTAG Circuit to U. Maybe you have friends there who have computer with LPT Port which is connected to motherboard directly? I'm really curious why the HJTAG won't detect it. Have you make sure that when you test the + and - pin of your board and + and - pin of your JTAG circuit with multitester / avometer, it shows volt number around 3.5 V until 4.2V? From my experience before, when I tested the voltage of those pins, and the multitester / avometer shows number around 1v until 2v, HJTAG will fail to detect the processor. Try to read the voltage on board Stu before connecting it to computer.

If not, I kind of start to think that it is very possible that you tried on the broken board. Because I'm sure that if we can find a board that died because ROM Upgrade Issue, this method will work and the HJTAG will recognize the OMAP Processor easily. How about the second board you get? Did the seller say that the Touch was died because upgrading issue?

BTW, keep trying Stu, because it is amazing to feel that hours of reading, learning, soldering, and trying finally paid off !
:D Just to keep up your try Stu, this is the "Frankenstein" who had been wake up by your informations :

liveelf.jpg

Have you know that I've edited my PDF to smaller size with minor changes? I forgot to mention about USB Cable and last setting picture on "No Ice". But I guess you'll know these things although I forgot to mention in PDF as we've ever discussed it before.

Hope you get success with your second Board, Stu !

Best Regards,
Bom81

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, I'm happy people are still using elfs, been a while since I've been in this section.

Anyways. Cyber, They hopefully are the same pins. I'm not able to check as I don't have an elf anymore. If someone else does, maybe they can use a voltmeter or something to check to make sure that the 2 are the same?

Failing that, it may be worth a go anyways.

Jack, glad your phone is working again :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Honestly, no. Can't remeber if that happened on mine before. May well be something with the resistor you may have fried, may be that it wasn't completely bricked before and could have been some over hardware issue. Who knows, but sorry I can't be more help on this one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk