UPDATED: If you manually upgraded to 2.2. YOU WILL GET OTA : GOOGLE EMPLOYEE CONFIRMS

Search This thread

spazoid

Aug 24, 2009
YAY MY STORY WAS POSTED TO ANDROID GUYS!!!

UPDATED: So I had to rush home after class and give everyone that definate answer that they long. This was in my email as I finally got a STRAIGHT answer from Google to the question

"Will the people that did the manual update to Froyo still receive the OTA, and did it void the warrenty? Can I get a straight Answer?"

Hi,

The answer is yes and no, respectively. When 2.2 (Froyo) is sent via OTA, everybody will get it, including those who have already manually updated to Froyo. No, your warranty is not voided by manually updating to Froyo. But we do recommend waiting for the OTA if you're still on 2.1 / Eclair.

Cheers,

Ben

Origonal Post:

I found some evidence that supports, all manual user will get the OTA, even if you updated manually.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses!

Just wanted to give a heads up that the build floating around is not the official Froyo release. You will get an automatic notification when we OTA the build, no need to manually download it. You will still get the automatic notification if the official release is a newer version than the one you have, so don't sweat...but I'd highly recommend waiting for our official release :)

@Bhushan4181: You will get the OTA update as long as you are connected to the internet and can communicate with Google servers.

We are striving hard to OTA the build to you ASAP, thanks for your patience!

Gaurav.
From what I am TOLD as long as your manual update came from GOOGLE than it is still a LEGIT and offical update, just not the final, therefor you HAVE NOT voided your warrenty, and will most likely get the OTA so don't panic​

P.S Those who did the manual update(me included) I would not worry about trying to roll back to 2.1. They sent out a test build via ota to testers, and when the final build comes i'm sure EVERYONE will get the OTA as it will have a different signature and what-not. How else would they get the final build to the testers?

Last edited:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Good find, I think its a no brainer but confirmation is good for some folks that were worried.

spazoid

Aug 24, 2009
Good find, I think its a no brainer but confirmation is good for some folks that were worried.

Ya even I was a little tweaked. Not saying we wouldn't be able to just flash it anyhow even if you are NON root. But there was alot of mixed answers not only here but all over the net, and some people were freaking out

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
"You will still get the automatic notification if the official release is a newer version than the one you have, so don't sweat"

Let's take a look at that again:

"You will still get the automatic notification if the official release is a newer version than the one you have, so don't sweat"

Just wanted to point that out :D

ChillRays

Apr 16, 2010
Tampa
There is no question that there must be a newer version of froyo thats coming out. I say that because every forum I visit on this site (and other sites) have people complaining that this and that doesn't work (anymore).

spazoid

Aug 24, 2009

I knew there would be at least one person that would point something out to try to kill the post cause they didn't find it first. Obviously it will be newer. The file that was MANUALLY downloaded was available to the media and what not, so what, they are never gonna get the final OTA. Its common sense. And like I siad even if by what slim chance you don't get the OTA, you will be able to push it manually.
Way to try to kill a post

BTW...

Last edited:

pvillasuso

Apr 16, 2007

lol nice one ... :rolleyes:

I dont find any good reason to give/update the press or the "preview phones" some unfinished or still bugged version of 2.2

For what ? so that they review it (Froyo) and write down all the bad or not working things ... it makes no sense , at least for me ... :confused:

spazoid

Aug 24, 2009

I dont find any good reason to give/update the press or the "preview phones" some unfinished or still bugged version of 2.2

For what ? so that they review it (Froyo) and write down all the bad or not working things ... it makes no sense , at least for me ... :confused:

BINGO..and what when they find the mistakes...NOT FIX IT...haha, that exactly what I was saying

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
what about those who installed the OTA manually and then installed the custom recovery image? will they still be able to get the new OTA?

Old MuckenMire

Feb 9, 2010

I don't claim to know what happened, but I'm damn sure there is more to all of this.

I cannot believe the degree to which Google has fumbled this Froyo release. They let us all think we might get it at I/O and look where we are now.:D....another week later...all anyone has gotten is a broken version.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Mickey Mouse time in Mountain View

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver
Since I'm still semi new to Android, you miss out on OTA updates if you're rooted right? Does that also mean you miss out if your bootloader is unlocked?

spazoid

Aug 24, 2009
Dude hes got a point. You posted something that had Nothing to do with the topic at hand. We all already knew the info you posted. Thats what the whole thread was about.