[ROM][GCC4.8][11/10] EternityProject's CyanogenMod 10.2 for LG Optimus 4X HD

Search This thread

hyklamin77

Mar 13, 2012
I flashed my LG P880 2 days ago over a CM10.1 installation, it worked fine except for an initial crash with turn off.

Then I charged the phone this morning, I think it went on overcharge for less than 1 hour since it was very hot on display side and battery side, and the battery didn't smell well.

After that, no luck turning it on. It's a brick.

If I plug it to a PC I get no devices found and the bottom white LEDs (for the back/home/settings buttons) blinking altogether as a single white bar.

I think this is a voltage problem or a battery software problem.

Please help :(

Edit: by plugging it without battery and pressing down volume key I could enter S/W Upgrade mode (following this thread)

I will post again later about my efforts; but please still give me some information if you have experience with this type of failures (e.g. is it a voltage settings probelm? a software problem? a hardware problem?)

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I allowed the LG official tool to upgrade the software, it downloaded a 582M file from internet and then flashed it.

No luck. I still get the blinking white LED problem.

I will try with another battery, after that I guess it's all burned and gone forever?

Last edited:

tool_king

Mar 2, 2013
I flashed my LG P880 2 days ago over a CM10.1 installation, it worked fine except for an initial crash with turn off.

Then I charged the phone this morning, I think it went on overcharge for less than 1 hour since it was very hot on display side and battery side, and the battery didn't smell well.

If I plug it to a PC I get no devices found and the bottom white LEDs (for the back/home/settings buttons) blinking altogether as a single white bar.

Edit: by plugging it without battery and pressing down volume key I could enter S/W Upgrade mode (following this thread)

I will post again later about my efforts; but please still give me some information if you have experience with this type of failures (e.g. is it a voltage settings probelm? a software problem? a hardware problem?)

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I allowed the LG official tool to upgrade the software, it downloaded a 582M file from internet and then flashed it.

I will try with another battery, after that I guess it's all burned and gone forever?

Eternity ROM is buggy as hell. Imho it's not stable enough for being a daily driver.

hyklamin77

Mar 13, 2012
Eternity ROM is buggy as hell. Imho it's not stable enough for being a daily driver.

I did not read the 122 pages of posts (roughly 1200 posts), but the first one:

Welcome to the EternityProject!

What do we have here?
CM10.2-EPRJ --- Or... EternityProject's CyanogenMod 10.2 for LG Optimus 4X!

What's the point in using CM10.2-EPRJ?
It contains various optimizations made at compile time. Moreover, it isn't being compiled with the default Android toolchain, but with a custom one that better handles and optimizes the code.
The CM10.2-EPRJ package will also automatically install our EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37.

Recommendations:
Patience is virtue.

Can I use a non-EternityProject Kernel on CM10.2-EPRJ?
For now, it's possible. Absolutely.

Features:
- All the standard CM10.2 Features are enabled
- New, custom toolchain for improved code optimization and better performance
- More to come

ROM Changelog:
Code:
20131007:
- CM repos synced
- New EternityProject optimizations (OMGFAST!)
- Featuring latest revision of EPRJ kernel 3.4
20130813:
- CM repos synced
- Mobile data is stabler
20130811:
- Stabler baseband
- External SDCard now accessible from file managers
- MTP finally working
20130810v2:
- Stability enhancements for Stagefright
- Other misc performance improvements
20130810:
- Synced with CM repos
- Smoother UI
20130808v2:
- Modified EPRJRIL recovery prop
- EternityProject RIL Recovery is now enabled by default.
- Trials to solve some people's problem with baseband
20130607:
- Sync'ed with CM repos on 07/06
- Added further EternityProject optimizations
- Solved Camera FC issue
- First try for solving the mobile data crash
20130602:
- First release.
Note: If you want to see the stock CM changelog, it's located at http://review.cyanogenmod.com/

How-To:
1. Copy the CM10.2-EPRJ and GApps packages on your internal memory
2. If you aren't coming from a previous version of CM10.2-EPRJ, wipe data and cache
3. Flash CM10.2-EPRJ, then flash GApps
4. Reboot
5. Enjoy!

Notes:
1. If you're looking for the Developer Settings menu, tap on "build number" N times (CM will say you when it's done)
2. This ROM doesn't work with CM10.1 kernels
3. (Temporary) If you want working SU/root: become developer (tap "Build number" 7 times in Settings > About phone), go to "Developer options" in settings and set "Root access" to "Apps and ADB".

So, what to download?
Everything is located on my website!
EternityProject's CyanogenMod 10.2 for LG Optimus 4X HD --- Click me!

Hey, and what about GPL?
Search on my GIT: Gitorious and/or EternityProject self-hosted GIT

Enjoy your "new" device!

The EternityProject Team Manager & Main Developer,
--kholk

No mention of possibility to brick the device. Actually I just verified that the battery is dead, since it gives only 1V. Hopefully in the next days I'll check with another battery to see if device is still alive.

But seriously, the OP does not mention "possible voltage/battery f*ckups". I don't want to be flaming but instead protect other users.

NOTE: we can still say that my device was faulty and it's not because of this ROM, but I don't know how to rule that out and I never had such over-charging issues before, nor smell of burnt plastic from the battery.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

I had an idea: perhaps after flashing the device "forgot" how much battery was loaded and thus tried to load it over the top?

Is that even possible? I thought that such low level information would be stored in the battery itself (a la BIOS..)

gerciolisz

I did not read the 122 pages of posts (roughly 1200 posts), but the first one:

No mention of possibility to brick the device. Actually I just verified that the battery is dead, since it gives only 1V. Hopefully in the next days I'll check with another battery to see if device is still alive.

But seriously, the OP does not mention "possible voltage/battery f*ckups". I don't want to be flaming but instead protect other users.

NOTE: we can still say that my device was faulty and it's not because of this ROM, but I don't know how to rule that out and I never had such over-charging issues before, nor smell of burnt plastic from the battery.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

I had an idea: perhaps after flashing the device "forgot" how much battery was loaded and thus tried to load it over the top?

Is that even possible? I thought that such low level information would be stored in the battery itself (a la BIOS..)

did u use lg charger? eprj kernel has some supercharging features which allow usb give it more current.. and if it was some custom charger it could give it too much current.. I just guessing..

Flying_Bear

Jan 16, 2011
i think it's eprj kernel fault. it's based on original cm 3.1 modified to 3.4, but it has many missing and buggy features. while cm has improved their kernel and fixed the bugs (f.e., at the beginning, cm kernel didnt recognize headphone button press, and it had issues with charging when phone is turned off - it could "burn in" the screen, perhaps even more serious stuff), eprj kernel stayed with same bugs.

hyklamin77

Mar 13, 2012
did u use lg charger? eprj kernel has some supercharging features which allow usb give it more current.. and if it was some custom charger it could give it too much current.. I just guessing..

It was a simple USB cable connected to my keyboard, that in turn is connected to a docking station for laptop...I guess it was giving out the standard USB amps since it's a good quality keyboard (50$ or so)

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

i think it's eprj kernel fault. it's based on original cm 3.1 modified to 3.4, but it has many missing and buggy features. while cm has improved their kernel and fixed the bugs (f.e., at the beginning, cm kernel didnt recognize headphone button press, and it had issues with charging when phone is turned off - it could "burn in" the screen, perhaps even more serious stuff), eprj kernel stayed with same bugs.
At time of incident phone was ON, charging was almost complete. I put it in charge for less than 2 hours, and I would have expected less than 30 minutes of charging time to be used (didn't check the battery meter, based on my experience); apparently it was still cooking when I picked it up; I used the unlock/power key to wake it up. It was hot and display glitched off to a weird white pattern with a low volume pop sound from speakers. But I had already heard it in the first case of glitchy sudden crash, so didn't worry.

Then I tried to turn it back on, didn't work. Removed battery to find out whole phone was strangely hot and battery smelling. As I said now it measures 1V, so battery is dead. Phone can enter S/W upgrade mode, I flashed the official LG ROM but it never booted, behaviour is exactly as before - that leads me to think that either I cannot turn it on without a valid battery or it's gone.

When turning on as usual, display shows a white pattern after less than 1 second of LG logo, and lower button LEDs blinking. I guess without a battery I cannot complete the dead-or-alive test.

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You should know that things like this could happen all the time. These ROMs are called custom for a reason as the developers don't give any guarantee for the functions and stability. Not every rom thread has the "I don't take any responsibility for a damage" part as it is quite obvious to every user of XDA. YOU installed a ROM which has no maintainer and is quite bugged. YOU did not take the time to read at least a few pages to know the actual state of this ROM. YOU f*cked up your battery/phone. Sorry to say it this hard but it's your fault and not the fault of any developer.

Sent from my 4X HD via XDA Premium

hyklamin77

Mar 13, 2012
You should know that things like this could happen all the time. These ROMs are called custom for a reason as the developers don't give any guarantee for the functions and stability. Not every rom thread has the "I don't take any responsibility for a damage" part as it is quite obvious to every user of XDA. YOU installed a ROM which has no maintainer and is quite bugged. YOU did not take the time to read at least a few pages to know the actual state of this ROM. YOU f*cked up your battery/phone. Sorry to say it this hard but it's your fault and not the fault of any developer.

Perhaps you are missing the main point. I want the OP to be edited to protect other users, I do not care about your "developers' lawyer" argument. Is this a community? YES -> somebody edit the OP

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

also: you are ignoring the fact I never said it was original developer's fault, but I am asking questions about the nature of the problem to understand better. You are completely ignoring this fact and attacking me with obvious amenities you are used to send to other people as a means of a poor argument (it reads like a prefab answer). There is a term on internet for this, go google it.

For these reasons, I will ignore all your posts since it is clear your intent of flaming what it was a perfectly polite discussion (in the last pages at least) about this new problem I just experienced with this ROM. My problem with the battery is on topic, you - coming here to add nothing useful - is off-topic in my opinion.

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Perhaps you are missing the main point. I want the OP to be edited to protect other users, I do not care about your "developers' lawyer" argument. Is this a community? YES -> somebody edit the OP

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

also: you are ignoring the fact I never said it was original developer's fault, but I am asking questions about the nature of the problem to understand better. You are completely ignoring this fact and attacking me with obvious amenities you are used to send to other people as a means of a poor argument (it reads like a prefab answer). There is a term on internet for this, go google it.

For these reasons, I will ignore all your posts since it is clear your intent of flaming what it was a perfectly polite discussion (in the last pages at least) about this new problem I just experienced with this ROM. My problem with the battery is on topic, you - coming here to add nothing useful - is off-topic in my opinion.

I'm really sorry if you understood my post as a "flaming attack" as it wasn't meant to be. I also got you wrong as you wrote, nobody mentioned that the rom would **** up the battery.

That's why I answered. Not to attack you, but to clear things up. I think every single Rom can cause damage for some users. But that's not an excuse for not reading. Kholk has moved from this device to others and therefore this project is abandoned.

I understand your point now and I agree that somehow it should be mentioned in the OP that this ROM isn't usable as a daily driver and can damage the battery.

Regarding your battery problem I once had a similar problem. The phone did heat up while charging quite a bit and after unlocking the screen it went black and didn't show anything till it cooled down (~10 min). I got lucky as I noticed it quickly and disconnected it. Later I noticed that the processor got stuck on 1500 MHz the whole time, which caused the massive heat.

Do you use an app to control the cpu?

PS: I know I can sound somehow aggressive but that's mostly caused by the annoying fact that people on this forum seem to forget that it's still a developer forum and not mainly a helpdesk. (Not to forget I'm german and we always sound aggressive :p)

EDIT: And just to clear things up once again I'm not flaming. What you understand as flaming is actually me trying to tell "new members" (or in your case members which ignore the rules like in this case: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380547) to search and read before modifying their device as it always can and probably will damage the device if you don't know what you do (this also includes reading at least the last posts of a rom thread :) )
And it may be the case that some of my 517+ posts are not useful or polite but most of them are and I did read the rules when joining XDA what most people seem to forget nowadays.

Last edited:

mario.gacv

Apr 21, 2012

The same thing happened to me 2 days ago but it just was my battery that drained to 0%.

I just plugged in the charger till I got some charge (I tried for hours btw). Despite it took time to begin doing this I knew I was safe when the gauge finally showed 0%.

Just remember that before doing any unbrick effort you should have a good batery with some juice on it.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the EternityProject!

What do we have here?
    CM10.2-EPRJ --- Or... EternityProject's CyanogenMod 10.2 for LG Optimus 4X!

What's the point in using CM10.2-EPRJ?
    It contains various optimizations made at compile time. Moreover, it isn't being compiled with the default Android toolchain, but with a custom one that better handles and optimizes the code.
    The CM10.2-EPRJ package will also automatically install our EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37.

Recommendations:
    Patience is virtue.

Can I use a non-EternityProject Kernel on CM10.2-EPRJ?
    For now, it's possible. Absolutely.

Features:
    - All the standard CM10.2 Features are enabled
    - New, custom toolchain for improved code optimization and better performance
    - More to come

ROM Changelog:
    Code:
    20131007:
    - CM repos synced
    - New EternityProject optimizations (OMGFAST!)
    - Featuring latest revision of EPRJ kernel 3.4
    20130813:
    - CM repos synced
    - Mobile data is stabler
    20130811:
    - Stabler baseband
    - External SDCard now accessible from file managers
    - MTP finally working
    20130810v2:
    - Stability enhancements for Stagefright
    - Other misc performance improvements
    20130810:
    - Synced with CM repos
    - Smoother UI
    20130808v2:
    - Modified EPRJRIL recovery prop
    - EternityProject RIL Recovery is now enabled by default.
    - Trials to solve some people's problem with baseband
    20130607:
    - Sync'ed with CM repos on 07/06
    - Added further EternityProject optimizations
    - Solved Camera FC issue
    - First try for solving the mobile data crash
    20130602:
    - First release.
    Note: If you want to see the stock CM changelog, it's located at http://review.cyanogenmod.com/

How-To:
    1. Copy the CM10.2-EPRJ and GApps packages on your internal memory
    2. If you aren't coming from a previous version of CM10.2-EPRJ, wipe data and cache
    3. Flash CM10.2-EPRJ, then flash GApps
    4. Reboot
    5. Enjoy!

Notes:
    1. If you're looking for the Developer Settings menu, tap on "build number" N times (CM will say you when it's done)
    2. This ROM doesn't work with CM10.1 kernels
    3. (Temporary) If you want working SU/root: become developer (tap "Build number" 7 times in Settings > About phone), go to "Developer options" in settings and set "Root access" to "Apps and ADB".

So, what to download?
    Everything is located on my website!
    EternityProject's CyanogenMod 10.2 for LG Optimus 4X HD --- Click me!

Hey, and what about GPL?
    Search on my GIT: Gitorious and/or EternityProject self-hosted GIT

Enjoy your "new" device!

--kholk
    @ApriliaM3
    Thanks for your support, but I don't like to bother moderators without any really important reason. Don't worry, being a RD makes me able to close and open my threads :)

@Everyone else
    Nope, I don't really like the spamming and the OT that is going on here.
    I mean, just "some" is okay, but well, effectively it's too much now!

I understand that you're anxious to try the Next Big Thing, but really, asking everyday if something happened is sick...
    ...obviously, if something happens, you'll know because something will be published on our EternityProject Twitter/Facebook accounts or on this thread.

What I've published on Twitter and Facebook in the meanwhile were "general" news on the development status and most of the messages were about the HTC One X, apart one of the last ones where I'm saying that I've anyway ported the broken LG Optimus 4X HD board files on our new 3.4.37 kernel base.
    I didn't want to say that here because it's an "useless" thing that will only speed up (one day instead of 2 weeks, approximately) the new porting when LGE will release the new kernel source containing the proper drivers.

This is only the CM-EPRJ thread.

Believe it or not, even as a developer, I'm as anxious as you to try my kernel on my device and I'm as sick as you to know that we won't have anything in our hands prior LGE to release the new sources.

Please, be patient like me and keep the thread clean.

Thanks.

--kholk
    Hello everyone!

It's a long time, I know... but as you know, I have to study for the university, so I can only steal some really little time from my commitments to get to work on our devices.

I don't know what to really say here, there's nothing to really explain, if not that:
    1. We're the first to release Android 4.3 for 4XHD
    2. I've rewritten 80% of the RIL and now your SMS, IMEI, calls etc etc etc problems should be OVER.
    3. Remember that this is the first release for 4.3, we can say it's alpha!
    4. The build has been tested for only one day, no problems detected. You tell!
    5. The EternityProject TeaM rules! :p

Enjoy the new release!

P.S.: Source coming to GIT in 3 to 6 hours.

--kholk
    Correct, at all!

I'm having some hard time at the university, but no problem at all.
    My roadmap is to publish out new packages for the HTC One X (almost ready -- and remember that the kernel will be the same, so it's also O4X work) and then to get back on the O4X for the most amazing things you'll ever see in your life! :)

Then, I can confirm you that the serious O4X development will resume in 3 to 5 days.

Stay tuned!

--kholk
    Hey guys!

I've solved some issues.
    The vibrator now works perfectly here and there was a performance problem.
    The performance problem was related to OpenGL ES 1.1 not running really fine and the Camera app running slow because it was falling back on SW video processing. Now it works perfectly and fast as hell here.

As for the "Android Beam" menu, I've got some ideas on how to activate it (even if actually NFC works wonderfully).

I've read that an user says something about no autofocus on Camera: I can only say it's working fine here, I've practically stressed the focuser to get a bug, but nothing, my device focuses correctly.

Another thing: ROOT.

I may know why root isn't working and yeah, I was referring to ADB root access, not to users root access when I said it was working for me. I left enabled some developer-only "flags" that will make some mess here and there (and also lower the performance).

So, the next version will be released tomorrow and will contain:
    - Vibration fix (done. -- damn proprietary things to reverse engineer!!!)
    - HW Video Decoding (done)
    - 3DHW Fix for OpenGLES 1.1 (done)
    - Easy root access for users (ToDo -- simple)
    - Option in settings for deactivating NFC (Not sure!)

That's all for now.

--kholk