[SOLVED!] Help with bootanimation resolution

Search This thread

The Dark Defender

Aug 3, 2014
I've recently started to create a new bootanimation for my Moto G, but I can't get the resolution right! I know the res for the Moto G is 720 x 1280, but I can't find a way to make my images fit right. I extracted the images from the video I attached below with free video to JPG converter, but I am having trouble with the height. The video is in 1080p, and I need a way to increase the height I guess? I have spent hours on this, and if someone can show me how to fix this, I'll be extremely grateful. Thanks!

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@The Dark Defender ..... Use the free graphics program "PhotoScape" ..... once using it select the option "Batch Edit" ...... then you will be able to edit all your jpg's in the animation sequence by selecting them and "Resizing" .... you may have to do a bit of "boxing and coxing" to keep the correct aspect ratio but I'm certain you will be able to sort that out. If I have time I'll look at your video and depending on how busy I am I might have a go and post back.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dark Defender

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@The Dark Defender ..... I've done some work to your video. Firstly without wishing to "teach you how to suck eggs" I must make the following comment.....You say that the video is in HD (1080p), that statement is almost sudden death to boot animations because the number of frames that are produced by a 1080p process is huge compared with the number of comparable frames produced by "Standard Definition", I have produced several animations both for my phones and my tablet using clips I have captured from BD disks and the size of the animation jumps up alarmingly. So what I did with your video was as follows..... From the original files I deleted 224 frames from various parts of the video, trying to keep that figure to as many near duplicates as possible.....I then used PhotoScape ("Batch Edit") to resize the frames to 720 x 1280 .....I then built a boot animation using those frames ..... this built ok the only trouble being it was 95 Mg in size which is utterly outrageous!..... I then processed the frames through another graphics program (Pixillion Image Converter Plus) with which I was able to decrease the original definition and finished up with an animation which was 12 Mg in size which is acceptable.

JPG's from HD files are high quality, which can make for huge animations, and can stand having the definition reduced.

The two attached files are (1) The finished animation (the title tells you that one) and (2) The individual jpg frames altered as to size and definition and zipped (again the title is self explanatory).

I appreciate that the final effort might not be as you would wish but possibly you can work with the individual frames to achieve a result which you prefer. Feel free to use or adapt any part of my animation if it helps you.

Attachments

• The_Dark_Defender_Anim.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 40
  • JPG's_reduced_in_size_used_in_animation.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: The Dark Defender

The Dark Defender

Aug 3, 2014
Thank you

@The Dark Defender ..... I've done some work to your video. Firstly without wishing to "teach you how to suck eggs" I must make the following comment.....You say that the video is in HD (1080p), that statement is almost sudden death to boot animations because the number of frames that are produced by a 1080p process is huge compared with the number of comparable frames produced by "Standard Definition", I have produced several animations both for my phones and my tablet using clips I have captured from BD disks and the size of the animation jumps up alarmingly. So what I did with your video was as follows..... From the original files I deleted 224 frames from various parts of the video, trying to keep that figure to as many near duplicates as possible.....I then used PhotoScape ("Batch Edit") to resize the frames to 720 x 1280 .....I then built a boot animation using those frames ..... this built ok the only trouble being it was 95 Mg in size which is utterly outrageous!..... I then processed the frames through another graphics program (Pixillion Image Converter Plus) with which I was able to decrease the original definition and finished up with an animation which was 12 Mg in size which is acceptable.

JPG's from HD files are high quality, which can make for huge animations, and can stand having the definition reduced.

The two attached files are (1) The finished animation (the title tells you that one) and (2) The individual jpg frames altered as to size and definition and zipped (again the title is self explanatory).

I appreciate that the final effort might not be as you would wish but possibly you can work with the individual frames to achieve a result which you prefer. Feel free to use or adapt any part of my animation if it helps you.
Wow thanks so much! I'm gonna check these out right away. I had no idea 1080p wasn't optimal for bootanimations. I was just confused on how to get the proper resoluton for the images. I'll learn a lot from this, and I appreciate the time you put out to do this. Thank you.

Reactions: metpolds

The Dark Defender

Aug 3, 2014
Another problem :(

@metpolds The bootanimation you made is perfect, but for some reason my phone slowly stutters than freezes on almost the last couple of frames. The only way to stop it is to launch fastboot mode and go into recovery and system restore to a backup I luckily did not too long ago. It did this with another bootanimation as well. Hmm definitely phone related. It really stinks because I know it isn't a problem with the animations. Do you have any ideas on what might be causing this or how to fix? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and also don't know if it'll help but right before it freezes the screen's brightness drastically dims, almost like when it unlocks.

EDIT: Fixed! Turns out my boot logos need to be mp4 format because im using stock ROM. I'll get the hang of things eventually lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: metpolds

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@The Dark Defender ..... Glad that I was able to help ..... As regards boot animations in mp4 format, I have to say (but I'm no expert) that Motorola is the only phone or tablet that I have knowledge or know of that uses mp4 video files instead of jpg or png single frames. However even though Motorola uses mp4's you can still use conventional single frame jpg's if you wish.

As you probably know if you create an animation in mp4 then it has to be placed in the following folder in your Moto G ...../data/local/moodle ..... and the mp4 type of desc.txt (videodesc.txt) has totally different parameters to that used by single frame animations. Again be careful of the size.

The stuttering you are experiencing I can't be certain about, I believe it's a fault with the animation, I seem to recall seeing someone in one of the threads experiencing the same problem but I can't remember exactly where or when. To be on the safe side I would be wary of installing it. If you felt adventurous you could delete some of the last frames i.e. the blue ones after the writing "Welcome to Sword Art online" making it shorter. BUT don't rely on my suggestion in case you "brick" your device.

Best of luck with your Moto G and animations.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @The Dark Defender ..... Use the free graphics program "PhotoScape" ..... once using it select the option "Batch Edit" ...... then you will be able to edit all your jpg's in the animation sequence by selecting them and "Resizing" .... you may have to do a bit of "boxing and coxing" to keep the correct aspect ratio but I'm certain you will be able to sort that out. If I have time I'll look at your video and depending on how busy I am I might have a go and post back.

Thank you

Wow thanks so much! I'm gonna check these out right away. I had no idea 1080p wasn't optimal for bootanimations. I was just confused on how to get the proper resoluton for the images. I'll learn a lot from this, and I appreciate the time you put out to do this. Thank you.
    Another problem :(

@metpolds The bootanimation you made is perfect, but for some reason my phone slowly stutters than freezes on almost the last couple of frames. The only way to stop it is to launch fastboot mode and go into recovery and system restore to a backup I luckily did not too long ago. It did this with another bootanimation as well. Hmm definitely phone related. It really stinks because I know it isn't a problem with the animations. Do you have any ideas on what might be causing this or how to fix? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and also don't know if it'll help but right before it freezes the screen's brightness drastically dims, almost like when it unlocks.

EDIT: Fixed! Turns out my boot logos need to be mp4 format because im using stock ROM. I'll get the hang of things eventually lol.