MIUI 4: Would you use it?

Search This thread

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
The MIUI patchrom was updated today to support the MIUI 4 (ICS) base. According to the README in the MiCode repo it looks like we meet the prerequisites to use the patchrom. I've used MIUI on my handset before so I wouldn't deny it on my tablet to say the least. The features are great and there is no end to customization of the ROM. The launcher isn't optimized for tablets but I guess Trebuchet or the stock ICS launcher is still usable. Hopefully a dev will hook us up (or if it doesn't require building the whole OS maybe even I can do it).

So I guess the question is: Would you use MIUI on your Iconia?

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
as long as a tablet launcher works, i would try it. i didn't spend all this money on a tablet for it to be a gigantic phone.

dincdoes.me

May 8, 2011
Detroit
Yea I agree it may share "some ios similarities" but all in all it is a very customizable android Rom I've used miui on my inc and inspire plus my old nook but took it off my nook after 24 hrs of use because sizing was terrible and it was a huge phone. But if a dev manages to create a miui masterpiece as well as the devs over at miuiandroid/miui.us bring it on!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
No. I want to use Android, not an iOS wannabe.

My thoughts exactly. If I wanted an iPad, I would buy an iPad.

If you think the UI is all that is different (or at the very least, all that MIUI has to offer), you've probably never used MIUI. Or at least not long enough to discover what it has to offer.

Let's not forget it's still Android at heart. And as far as Android goes, the level of customization is far beyond any other offering. You can turn off whatever you don't like theme-wise and use whatever launcher you're currently enjoying. If you're going to judge it on UI alone, then you're missing out on a whole lot.

EDIT: Of course, I have no idea how well it even works on tablets. I don't know if the MIUI team really considered the tablet aspects of ICS when making version 4. But like I said, any suitable tablet launcher should still work perfectly fine.

Psichi

Dec 7, 2008
Plano
dorkitude.tumblr.com
I couldn't disagree more. Miui is one of the most customizable roms available, ios is built to allow almost no customization.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

While MIUI does allow for you to tweak the way icons and the lockscreen look, the base functionality and user experience are heavily influenced by iOS. A fresh install of MIUI looks strikingly like an iOS device, with the addition of a clock widget.

Let's not forget it's still Android at heart. And as far as Android goes, the level of customization is far beyond any other offering. You can turn off whatever you don't like theme-wise and use whatever launcher you're currently enjoying. If you're going to judge it on UI alone, then you're missing out on a whole lot.
But if I was to turn off all of the MIUI UI options and use a different launcher, why would I want to use MIUI at all? Why not use a stripped down version of a stock rom?

Personally, I didn't see the appeal of MIUI. Sure I could download a ton of themes but they never were well designed. I wind up making my own themes anyway, so I would rather have a ROM that was as lean as possible and theme it as I need. If you like MIUI, juice by you.. but I've tried it and it wasn't for me.

Last edited:

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
MiUI = iOS wanabee ????

I think some people does not use or never use MiUI....

but anyway...

MiUI on tablet I am not sure that will be that good... Since they are more PHONE DEVICE oriented...

PS:
Acer Liquid Metal running 2.3.9 MiUI perfectly, nothing iOS like on it...

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info

I couldn't disagree more. Miui is one of the most customizable roms available, ios is built to allow almost no customization.

I think what FloatingFatMan meant was that MIUI feels like it is trying to mimic iOS. I would have to agree with FloatingFatMan on this point...it feels too much like an iPhone interface.

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
I think what FloatingFatMan meant was that MIUI feels like it is trying to mimic iOS. I would have to agree with FloatingFatMan on this point...it feels too much like an iPhone interface.

Please could you show me how it's iPhone interface like ?
because I don't see the iPhone feeling on my MiUI.....

-> and by the way iPhone copied the Samsung interface as well....
if it's just about square icons on a grid and a ribbon on the lower part A lot of phone interface so are iPhone(samsung) like...

Just to be clear I am not an iPhone hater, I just bored about people who think iPhone (Apple) is a revolution and are the one create all.... nope... they just improve, or copy and got a strong marketing behind that's it.

So if I take my MiUI interface I got
- Widget (iPhone does not have that)
- A neat slide swipe animation between each screen (with effect or not)
- A way to can change really everything inside (wallpaper, starting animation, lockscreen, etc...)
- A music player directly accessible from the lockscreen (double tap on the time)
- no slide to unlock from left to right (but can be installed via a theme named iPhone...)
- etc..

well I got more than expected on my stuttering Liquid Metal... miUI give it a new life, and memory freedom.

so let me know how it's same I will be pleased to see.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Please could you show me how it's iPhone interface like ?
because I don't see the iPhone feeling on my MiUI.....

-> and by the way iPhone copied the Samsung interface as well....
if it's just about square icons on a grid and a ribbon on the lower part A lot of phone interface so are iPhone(samsung) like...

Just to be clear I am not an iPhone hater, I just bored about people who think iPhone (Apple) is a revolution and are the one create all.... nope... they just improve, or copy and got a strong marketing behind that's it.

So if I take my MiUI interface I got
- Widget (iPhone does not have that)
- A neat slide swipe animation between each screen (with effect or not)
- A way to can change really everything inside (wallpaper, starting animation, lockscreen, etc...)
- A music player directly accessible from the lockscreen (double tap on the time)
- no slide to unlock from left to right (but can be installed via a theme named iPhone...)
- etc..

well I got more than expected on my stuttering Liquid Metal... miUI give it a new life, and memory freedom.

so let me know how it's same I will be pleased to see.

To me, the overall layout just reminds me of iOS, and I'm simply not a fan of that style. I'm not saying it is bad, just not my cup of tea. I understand it is still Android underneath it (AOSP) and it is customizable, but I guess the way the launcher is laid out just has the feel of iOS, at least to me.

But everyone has their preferences.

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
iOS and MIUI are not same.
maybe a very old version of miui theme was with the same background (wow that makes all the feeling... iBackground?)

Similarities or Same ?

Similarities... Oh my god yes there is ... but since Apple didn't created the "User Interface" of phones neither "Icons" we cannot compare MiUI with iOS... they got idea from something else before as well.

stop comparing all against iOS or iPhone... that will be better.

1) it's not iOSlike
2) it's android
3) we can change everything we want in Miui... and make it looks like iPhone if we want just by applying a theme... but the default theme is not iPhone like at all.. really not at all..

Please people, use the things before making statement...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The theming modules are irrelevant. MIUI's default looks is to copy iOS as much as possible, and I'm just not interested in having to screw around theming the thing when I can just install an AOSP ROM that already looks how I want it to look.

If people like MIUI, that's up to them, but don't rag on those who don't just because you're a little butthurt. The OP asked a question, we answered.

And AOSP looking like you want is irrelevant when its incapable of looking how others want, while MiUi can look how they want it to.

The problem isn't people that don't like MiUi, its people that think a default theme designed to look like iOS is the only option. It shows that you don't have the slightest clue what the **** you're talking about. It looks like that by default, but its not a permanent look, it can look however you want it to.

And this is coming from someone that only wants AOSP roms, stop being so close minded and accept that others have a differing opinion from yours. If they want it to look different from AOSP, the theming modules are 100% relevant. There is a difference between not liking MiUi and not liking iOS and having no clue what MiUi is capable of.

My thoughts exactly. If I wanted an iPad, I would buy an iPad.

The theming modules are irrelevant. MIUI's default looks is to copy iOS as much as possible, and I'm just not interested in having to screw around theming the thing when I can just install an AOSP ROM that already looks how I want it to look.

If people like MIUI, that's up to them, but don't rag on those who don't just because you're a little butthurt. The OP asked a question, we answered.