[Q] OEM marketplaces

Search This thread

julienrl

Aug 2, 2008
Ottawa
I was wondering if anyone knows if it will be possible to have all the OEM marketplaces on a given phone so we can make our choices based on hardware \ network availability (going for AWS which has fewer devices) and enjoy all the niceties such as HTC's dialer and LG's voice as SIP applications?

Thanks!

Ren13B

Oct 10, 2007
OEM's are not allowed to modify the Dialer or SIP. Carriers can have their own section on the marketplace for their phones. I know AT&T has one but haven't heard if any others do or will.

The Gate Keeper

Jun 30, 2008
Sydney
it seems LG got its own
they don't have their own marketplace, but MS has allowed for manufacturers and carriers to have their own section within the marketplace. The idea is that companies such as LG can get exclusive content to help them push their phones. This also means that those with an LG phone will still be able to access the general market place, which is a great idea.

Let me draw a comparison... I've heard that Amazon are looking into starting their own market place for Android, meaning that all phones sold through Amazon will have the Amazon market place instead of Google's. What does this mean? Only apps submitted to the Amazon market place will come up on those phones, not the ones in Google's. This is the downfall of separate market places is that developers have to spend more time making sure their applications meet all the different market place conditions, unlike WP where they submit to one place, but don't neglect individuality for the manufacturers/carriers.

julienrl

Aug 2, 2008
Ottawa
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank you, this is quite a good clarification!

So do you know if it will be possible to get into the marketplace sections from other companies so we can get the special programs? Or will I actually have to make a choice :p (Also there is a lack of Samsung and LG phones for T-mobile\windmobile\mobilicity :( )

The Gate Keeper

Jun 30, 2008
Sydney
most likely if you can't find it in the general market place, but you know a particular manufacturer has made it, it's because they have access to some of the phone's features which we as general developers do not yet (as in the Silverlight APIs haven't been created for them yet). Give it time and apps of that type will become available and all the exclusiveness should hopefully be redundant.