[Q] Bionic Black Screen of Death

Search This thread

rduckwor

Apr 12, 2006
Hi guys, haven't been here since my WIN MOB days. Glad the place is hopping as usual.

Bionic users seem to be experiencing a total lockup on sleeping handsets. There is a rather extensive thread over Moto support and the mod seems to be paying attention.

Just popped in to ask your experiences and the frequency with which you guys are seeing this and any possible remedies.

I've seen a couple of very short threads here, but nothing with any follow-up.

Thanks,

RMD

iyl78

Sep 8, 2011
I have had this happen on multiple occasions, the power/wake-up button stops working and the only way to get the phone back is pulling the battery. The last time it happened was last night, and even after the battery was pulled it wouldn't come back up. I only got my phone back after switching out the battery with my extended battery.

Does anyone have a link to the thread at Moto support?

jwest06

Sep 7, 2010
Seems like it happens more often when the phone has been sleeping for longer than 30 mins for me. Go for a run, come back and can't wake the phone up. Or go to sleep and wake up in the morning with it blacked out. :eek:

codehtmai

Sep 24, 2008
This happened to me for the first time today, but it happened twice within about 2 hours. Pulling the battery was the only way to get it back.

TrinitYPL

Jul 25, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
This has been happening to me for the last few days, only things is Im rooted, I was considering unrooting until customer roms and kernels come out.... but seeing that you guys are having this issue with the phone stock.... quite weird, hopefully a firmware update will come out for this soon

willbur73

May 9, 2011
Queen Creek
I've got mine rooted and have never had this issue before. I have not removed or frozen any apps though.

Also I leave my system on performance mode in the battery profile.

In fact, I left it on my nightstand last night without plugging it in. Woke up a few times and checked the time each time and the phone always woke right up.

Chbimmer

Oct 9, 2010
HSV, AL
So, I want to say mine started locking up when I selected "in pocket detection."
I just now thought about it reading one of the post here talking about going for a jog. I just turned it off and will see if that makes a difference. I get a lock at least once a day.

techrosis

May 7, 2008
I've been getting this too. It only seems to happen at home where I have only 3g available. Are you guys that are having this happen in a 4g area or is it just 3g as well?

crxlvr

Jan 24, 2011
New York
Had this happen once to me today while i was severely multitasking then hit the power button by mistake. I gave up after about 5 seconds and pulled the battery

alemondemon

Oct 9, 2010
I have had this happen to me about 3 times now. Once during texting, once after breakfast, and once after movie. I think this is pretty damn unacceptable for a $600 device that was delayed so much.

C@rn@ge

Jun 9, 2011
Never had the black screen. However after long standby times the pattern screen doesn't register correctly the first few times. Unrooted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Rip Syntaxx

Apr 8, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So, I want to say mine started locking up when I selected "in pocket detection."
I just now thought about it reading one of the post here talking about going for a jog. I just turned it off and will see if that makes a difference. I get a lock at least once a day.

I had this same issue on Day 2 of having my blessid Bionic... Didn't realize why my screen kept going to sleep every 5 seconds. So after taking my phone to VZW to have it looked at (and the rep had no clue what was going on)--I realized that my in-pocket detection setting may have been the culprit.

cdejesus1119

Jun 17, 2010
Not happening to mine. However I do notice apps deleting themselves when transferred to my SD card. Rumor is they are prepping an update soon... I sure hope so. But the good news is the screen is growing on me, and I love the phone. It reminds me when I first bought My Samsung LED TV w/240 refresh rate. My eyes took forever to adjust, now I cant watch tv any other way.

Chbimmer

Oct 9, 2010
HSV, AL
I had this same issue on Day 2 of having my blessid Bionic... Didn't realize why my screen kept going to sleep every 5 seconds. So after taking my phone to VZW to have it looked at (and the rep had no clue what was going on)--I realized that my in-pocket detection setting may have been the culprit.

So, I turned in pocket detection off and it has not had an issue since I posted last.

Rip Syntaxx

Apr 8, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So, I turned in pocket detection off and it has not had an issue since I posted last.

Good deal... Glad to hear it. It was gonna drive me nuts. This was my first time being an "early adopter". I usually wait about 3-6 months before buying a popular phone to allow all the bugs to be worked out. So getting this phone 2 days after its debut--you can see why I was nervous to have a fully-functioning phone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    did they give you a new one or a refurb? did you walk in to the store or call verizon? i can't take it anymore and i gotta do something...

Just called them up and they are sending a new one. Just wish i could figure out why its NOT happening now....

Sorry, called custmer service, i tend to stay away from the stores...dont care for the lack of help or tech knowledge, or customer service for that matter.