[MOD] Solution to Launcher Redraws on GB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, this mod is for those who are having launcher redraws on GB. This was an issue since GB was released. For those who don't know, a redraw is, simply put, when your launcher's icons all disappear but reload after a few seconds.

Here's what you do:
    1) Get your launcher moved into /system/app. You should do this from a clean flash (edit the ROM.zip, put it in, and rezip the file). You could try to manually push this, but I don't know how that'll work. You could also try to convert it into a system app by using Titanium Backup PAID (thank you shawnshine for this one).

To get the apk for your launcher, you should uninstall it and reinstall it. Once you reinstall your launcher, go to /cache and look for downloadfile.apk. That's the app you just recently downloaded (in this case, it's your launcher). Save that downloadfile.apk, rename it to whatever you want, and move it into /system/app whenever you flash a new ROM.

2) Edit the build.prop for your ROM. Use Notepad++ and add this line at the bottom, without quotes: "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" Save the changes to your build.prop. You can manually push this and this seems to work as well.

This thread is really made so you guys could get the edited build.prop and push them yourselves. I'm including only the most recent GB ROMs.

3) Flash your ROM and enjoy less redraws. If you choose to manually push it, wipe your dalvik cache and fix permissions.

I take NO credit for any of this. jager555 was the one who mentioned #1. AntonX is the one who mentioned #2. Of course, all the build.props that have been edited belong to the respective developers who tweaked it and such.

If the developers have a problem with me posting their build.props here, please let me know, and I'll remove it.

UPDATE: Here's a short explanation of why this thread died down. When 2.3.6 was just released, I tried using this mod again to fix the build.props for all ROMs. Unfortunately, it seemed to be ineffective, so I dropped this completely. However, icy56 recently informed me that this still works on 2.3.6 (at least the newest ROMs), so I decided to pick this up again!

Below are the three most commonly used ROMs on this forum atm (Valhalla Black Edition, ICBINB 2.3.7 v2, and AOSP Style X). For those of you who haven't made the move yet, I kept the older ROMs in Older ROMs.zip.

Let me know how this works for all of you! I know it definitely made a difference on LauncherPro and GO Launcher EX.
    i appreciate the credit ;)

i will be writing a guide this week on all of this. i've noticed a TON of questions that i know I have addressed too many times for me not to be bothered by it.
    hey just wanted to say i can attest that these settings do lessen the withdraws.

For launcherpro users, settings that have completely stopped withdraws for me are setting memory usage to low, not checking "prevent FCs", and checking "keep in memory"
    Octane v2.X has been added to the OP!
    Correct. Build.prop in in the system folder. And it does help. However, if you launcher updates through the market, use TB to integrate update into ROM.