[Q] Battery Problems (Did i get scammed?)

Search This thread

tpaina380

May 27, 2013
So i recently bought a brand new htc vivid 1300mah battery from cellphoneshop.net (http://www.cellphoneshop.net/vividbat.html). Now the thing is this battery has taken over 24 hours to fully charge and when it finished charging i reset the phone it turned off but did not come back on so i plugged in the charger for it then turned it on and it came on when it booted up the battery was at 3% :confused: now i have contacted them and i was told id be getting another new battery in the mail in 7 business days and theres no need to send in the battery (which i find odd). so i have a picture of the battery status before and after the reset which i took a screenshot of in the battery are in settings im wondering if this battery is a knock off or not because it seems very odd that the battery took over 24 hours to get to a full charge on the first time. feedback would be apprciated (also a picture of the battery) and if you can see at the top of the battery has a bugle going from end to end and i can actually move it from side to side which my actually phone battery that came with my phone im unable to do that at all its very solid.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-14-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-14-34.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
So i recently bought a brand new htc vivid 1300mah battery from cellphoneshop.net (http://www.cellphoneshop.net/vividbat.html). Now the thing is this battery has taken over 24 hours to fully charge and when it finished charging i reset the phone it turned off but did not come back on so i plugged in the charger for it then turned it on and it came on when it booted up the battery was at 3% :confused: now i have contacted them and i was told id be getting another new battery in the mail in 7 business days and theres no need to send in the battery (which i find odd). so i have a picture of the battery status before and after the reset which i took a screenshot of in the battery are in settings im wondering if this battery is a knock off or not because it seems very odd that the battery took over 24 hours to get to a full charge on the first time. feedback would be apprciated (also a picture of the battery) and if you can see at the top of the battery has a bugle going from end to end and i can actually move it from side to side which my actually phone battery that came with my phone im unable to do that at all its very solid.

You should post some pictures of the battery in your phone, and maybe a video of you wiggling it around. 24 hours is an incredibly long time to charge a phone battery; did you charge it using a separate charger, an AC adapter for your phone, or by usb cable in a computer? Also, was the phone powered down for the charging? If your phone is trying to find a wifi or cell signal (and/or doing updates or other stuff in its down time), that will definitely make the battery charge much more slowly.

You can also try to reset battery stats (mixed results; sometimes the phone mistakenly thinks something like a 90% charge is 100%, but that's not usually the case. This fixes it.):
start charging while powered off, and once it says you are at 100%, remove the cord, then remove the battery, wait a minute, then put the battery back in and start charging while powered off again. Then you can boot into recovery and wipe you battery stats. Power the phone back off and try charging again until 100%, remove cord, remove battery, wait a minute, charge again. Next boot into your main ROM, and just waste battery like normal.

I will say that your battery doing all those funky things does make me think the battery is kaput. It being a 1300 mAh battery is also slightly odd; the stock battery is 1620 mAh. I wouldn't worry about it being a scam yet, and them not wanting the product returned isn't anything to worry about; it costs money to ship an item, and they don't want to piss their customers off by making them pay shipping, and probably don't want to pay for it to be shipped to them (a battery can't be easily repaired, and it costs money to legally dispose of them).

Try the battery stats wiping method I posted, and then keep letting us know how things go!

Last edited:

tpaina380

May 27, 2013
The battery method you suggested didnt work. If the phone is off it will never charge i've tried it every time the phone is turned off and then back on the battery is always below 5% no matter what and i will post a video of the battery being able to wiggle the part which i find very weird because the stock oem battery is not like that at all thanks for the feedback much appreciated also i am running the stock rom of the phone because i was getting a new battery i saved all my apps on titanium backup and reverted my phone to stock with its stock ruu then put the battery in but the photo you see of the battery going from 100% to 3% was when i reset it and the only way it got to 100% was i had to keep the phone powered on it was in airplane mode while it charged and it took forever to fully charge just for the battery to go to 3% after a reset and the phone didnt turn back on when i reset it i had to plug in the charger or it would of never turned back on while using that battery

Last edited:

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
Ok, thanks for uploading the vid. Yeah, that doesn't look right, and coupled with the fact that it won't hold any charge, I'd say that is one defective battery. I'm not sure how reputable cellphoneshop.net is, but I found a 1620mAh OEM battery on Amazon for only $8.09 (free shipping): http://www.amazon.com/HTC-BH39100-Standard-Battery-Vivid/dp/B007JO6C5W

Anywho, when/if your next battery arrives, you should check it for the same issues of this one, and keep us updated to make sure it is/isn't a reputable dealer.