[Q] Nexus 10 or Galaxy Note 10.1

Search This thread

weziebme

Jul 22, 2010

Am I missing something here or can you not hook a micro sd dongle/adapter into this?i know it isnt the coolest or best looking solution but it will do for my use. To be clear I would have liked a micro sd slot as well, as my note 10.1 has it!

nerys71

May 13, 2008
kind of defeats the point. now you need this EXTREMELY delicate and dangerous 4" wire stiff dongle hanging off your device. pretty much destroys portability since IT NOT HAVING A SD SLOT that usb port is now the most precious bit on the device break it and have fun charging it and moving files non wirelessly to and from the device IE forget about putting HD movies on it at those speeds.

I really am flat out shocked it lacks the port. I am shocked ANY android device lacks a mSD slot. renders the device very "unusable" for an awful lot of things conveniently.

I mean at the MINIMUM if your going to have no mSD slot start the $400 model at 64gb. at least that would be useful. make the $500 model 128gb

but 16gb is useless unless you never really intend to view hd media portably.

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
I dont see why you want to keep the Note 10.1. Im using one and I will return it after I buy the nexus 10. The S pen is great. But the tablet is not good. TOuchwiz sucks really. it lags and slow. The screen is so yesterday...

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

there is no reason to have this if I have wifi access since that would mean I am the vast majority of the time at home with access to all my hardware. the point of this to me is "to take with me" that means no or limited internet capacity in my typical mobile situation.

if I wanted to stream content (meaning low res content) there is no reason to have a $400 4k screen. any $80 tablet will perform those functions fine as will my phone.

I think it's not a good idea to watch HD movie on a tablet. it will ruin the experience. It would look sharp like a razor BUT the screen is only 10 inch !! too small to watch serious stuff on it.

chugglet

Oct 28, 2008
Taunton
I dont see why you want to keep the Note 10.1. Im using one and I will return it after I buy the nexus 10. The S pen is great. But the tablet is not good. TOuchwiz sucks really. it lags and slow. The screen is so yesterday...

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

I think it's not a good idea to watch HD movie on a tablet. it will ruin the experience. It would look sharp like a razor BUT the screen is only 10 inch !! too small to watch serious stuff on it.

I agree. As nice as it is to have a HD screen, I would much rather watch a HD film on a bigger screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

nerys71

May 13, 2008
so would I. ever try and take a 50" screen on the bus or on an airplane ? let me know how it goes for you

I know watching even just 720p content is FAR superior on my S3 than SD content. it really just looks that much better

PLUS I don't want to double convert everything. would rather just not do it at that point.

I don't care WHAT resolution you use even the minimum is around a gig per movie 350mb per tv episode.

do the math 11-12gig is JUST NOT ENOUGH I have more than that is just podcasts.

the_boo

Oct 30, 2012

I use my tablet to watch HD movies through the hdmi out on my HDTV... Between that, xbmc, and my indoor HD antenna, Paid TV has been effectively replaced

I'll just get a 1tb external... But still it would be nice to have a bit more storage on the tablet itself.

nerys71

May 13, 2008
well if I wanted to link to a larger screen I would just use my S3. same HDMI out.

pickscrape

Dec 23, 2010
I agree with you. Thanks for this useful post.

What kind of IO problems did you experience with TF700?

My problem was just about lag, stuttering, delays and general sluggishness. Particularly when web browsing, but it happened all over the place. Going back to the home screen would sometimes take an age.

I realised one day that I'd rather use my phone than my tablet to look something up on the web. That was a sign that there was something wrong. :)

computingwarren

Sep 26, 2012
People really do just find ways to ***** and complain about products. If you don't want the product then get off the forum.
No point to keep *****ing about useless BS.

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
I have a Tab2 and while it is a great device Touchwiz is garbage. Don't get me wrong, I love it what Touchwiz brings to the table, but stability isn't its strong suit. There's something to be said for the performance of Google's own device. Like the GNex it might now be the fastest hardware and it might not benchmark great but I'm willing to bet that the user experience is a million times better. There's something to be said for things simply working. It's hard to explain but there's a reason people buy mediocre Nexus products (noSD card, bad cameras, limited storage, slower hardware) and swear by them. It's not brand loyalty, it's simply having a device that's made specifically for and maintained by Google has perks and benefits that are immeasurable.

Satakyn

Oct 23, 2012
Grand Rapids
You kind of missed my point. it is VERY clear this is a media consumption device. its going to ROCK for emulation and video yet with 16gb (more like 11-12 with what you will have left) I can fit what? 3-4 movies on it?

10 if I compressed to SD resolutions.

why even bother?

hell I keep 12-15 gig of PODCASTS AND AUDIO books on my device not even counting TV and Movies and other stuff.

they just murdered the device by having no mSD memory in my book. they have literally eviscerated its total point with such a gorgeous screen and processor by giving you no way to put any serious CONTENT on the thing.

at $500 its now too expensive and 32gb is STILL not enough space for a serious media device. its just not. I have over 40gig on my SIII and I add more often I will run out of spac eon the 64gb card pretty soon.

at $400 with mSD this would be an instabuy to me once it was released. but without mSD I just can't use it. I could use it as a PDF magazine viewer but its too expensive to be solely for that function.

a real freaking pity. I would like to meet the decision maker who decided to leave out the mSD slot and just proby smack the crap out of him to make even Gibs cringe.

what a boneheaded move. and no OTG won't cut it. I don't want or need no stinking dongle hanging off the device.

man I just can't believe they DESTROYED so much potential to save the $3 that card slot would have cost.

Why don't you just buy cloud storage from Google and you'd have up to 16TB of space ($5 a month for 100GB is the standard large size option) to store movies on and as long as you have internet access you can watch all of your movies without worrying about swapping out SD cards or compressing quality files.

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
Why don't you just buy cloud storage from Google and you'd have up to 16TB of space ($5 a month for 100GB is the standard large size option) to store movies on and as long as you have internet access you can watch all of your movies without worrying about swapping out SD cards or compressing quality files.

Internet access often isn't available. What if I'm chilling in Germany or something, with no roaming? Must I simply delete my beloved music collection?

via Tapatalk

nerys71

May 13, 2008
because I don't rent. period. and again what part of this "ONLY HAS WIFI" was unclear here.

how exactly you going to access that useless 16tb of storage ? any idea how god awful long it would TAKE YOU to upload what you want to 16tb of storage?

heck I could not even enjoy this for music alone since I carry more than 12gb of music with me.

and I am "*****in" because its a potentially amazing product DESTROYED by the lack of $3 in plastic and metal. I want to know WHY they would make such an insanely nice device and DESTROY it by not having any memory in the stinking thing.

Reactions: drcujo and Tokool

Kookas

Jun 27, 2012
because I don't rent. period. and again what part of this "ONLY HAS WIFI" was unclear here.

how exactly you going to access that useless 16tb of storage ? any idea how god awful long it would TAKE YOU to upload what you want to 16tb of storage?

heck I could not even enjoy this for music alone since I carry more than 12gb of music with me.

and I am "*****in" because its a potentially amazing product DESTROYED by the lack of $3 in plastic and metal. I want to know WHY they would make such an insanely nice device and DESTROY it by not having any memory in the stinking thing.

I wonder - perhaps Google should do a mail-in service for really large cloud storage, where you just send in a few hard-discs containing what you want and they upload it directly.

But yeah, you have a point. The cloud is far from perfect right now because its integration is not yet seamless - that's to say that my photos aren't all automatically stored online without me having to upload it to Picasa or Google+ or whatever, nor is my app data (now wouldn't that be beautiful?), settings, etc. Tell you what would go a long way is automatic file sync with Drive, like what you can get on full machines. FolderSync is great, but a bit dodgy (it often transfers files which haven't actually changed at all).

The first phone company to make the cloud well and truly seamless is the first one allowed to get away with 16GB of storage. Until then, we need some real capacity on here.

Last edited:

keenraven

Sep 29, 2012
I just played with the Note because I'm considering the N10... and I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Like... I was practically floored. Sure, it's nice and light, but if you pinch it, the back flexes. On the other kiosk sat a tab 2, which felt 10x better built, but neither felt as sturdy as my $200 Nexus 7. If I'm going to spend 500 dollars on a gadget, it better not feel like a toy, and the reviews (thankfully) suggest the Nexus10 has a superior build to the note.

The plastic on the Galaxy s3 does't bother me because it still feels well built... no flex. But on the Note 10.1? I was scared of breaking it just picking it up. (It was pretty zippy though- surprisingly good performance)

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I agree, SD card would be nice. But to my knowledge, no Nexus device has come with one so far. I recall reading something from Google about how external storage leads to performance issues or something for certain users or complicates the experience.... Not sure I buy that, it could be a money grab to get you to buy the 500 dollar model. I used to be the guy who had to carry ALL his music around, wanted every device to have the biggest card available in it. However, it has gotten a lot, lot easier to move things back and forth from tablet to computer. Also, I think a lot of people have access to tethering from their phone (in fact, I've got unlimited access :p) I started to wonder.... Do I really need to have 18 days worth of music with me at all times? Or could I get by with 100 albums, and swap em when I need to? And even then, you can do it with an OTG if you're going on a long trip, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a shame it doesnt have it. I said the same thing about the Nexus 7. But honestly, I haven't missed it like I thought I would. And If I really decide I need to have more space, I can always load a big microSD into my phone for music,

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

also, you mentioned worrying about breaking the micro USB by using OTG.... but you can transfer files to the tablet with it. You don't have to leave it hanging out there while you watch the movie, you just have to have it on for the 5-10 minutes it takes you to swap in whatever content you want. I've never been terribly worried about breaking my Nexus 7 this way.

Reactions: drcujo

keynith

Try to do a side by side comparison. Dont ask people which one, cuz they might have other wants/needs in a tablet, that you dont.

I have the asus tf300t and its I/O problems werent that bad for me, but im looking to get into something with more dev support. Comparing dev of gnexus 7 and asus tf300 was enough to get me looking at the 10.

Sent from my VS840 4G using xda premium

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I was going to ask this exact same question. Glad i saw this thread really.
Surely the Note 10.1 would be better though? The only thing the Nexus seems to have going for it is the screen and the fact that it will get updates quicker but the Note 10.1's screen isn't really shockingly poor, is it? And it will eventually get the updates, won't it? Could anyone who's used the Note 10.1 please give some feedback with regards to performance? I've read some people saying there are hangs and lag whilst others are saying it was smooth. I guess which one performs better is the major thing here.

Is there any way to connect a micro SD card or a USB port to the Nexus 10? The features of the Note 10.1 look good such as the multiwindow and S-Pen but i'm not too sure they are essential. Ideally, i would like a tablet to replace a laptop and my transformer does a pretty good job in doing that for ME but it has it's I/O issues which are annoying. I do love the keyboard dock though. I know Samsung have a keyboard dock for the Note 10.1, can we assume the Nexus 10 will get one? Using Word and the like would be superior on the Note i presume due to the multiwindow but all in all, i don't know. Anyone offer any guidance?
Thanks

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Tokool

Aug 15, 2012

I too have spent ages considering all this and this thread has been very useful - so thank you to most for providing a balanced agrument. Although the Nexus 10 seems to be a far superior model in most respects, I think the argument isn't clear-cut in favour of the Nexus.

My greatest issue is as already suggested that the Nexus does not provide external storage capacity - this is the most stupidest thing I can think. This pretty much destroys all of Nexus's advantages over the Note 10.1. what's the point of having such a good screen when it can't fully be used for its intended purpose? Furthermore, I have read that applications are not optimised for the Nexus screen - looking very blown up - in some cases. there may be better development over time - but not as it stands currently.

If I want to take my tablet on holiday -
Am I really going to have wifi access everywhere I go? No! That's from personal experience.
Do I really want to be limited to taking certain movies or music based on what I think I might want to watch at some future date? No!
Do I really want to dumb down movie resolution so I can fit more on the nexus? Does this not defeat the purpose of high resolution tablet?
Do I really want a company to tie me and limit my usage - in this case storage?

In the UK - I have noted Nexus pricing is £318 for 16gb and £400 for 32 gb. - Is this really worth it if you can't really get maximum usage from the awsome screen, processor and software?

Currently the cheapest retailer I have seen selling the Note 10.1 16gb for £318. The Note also seems more versatile in many other respects and software appears to be optimised. You also receive a USB connector with the device I understand.

Nexus has a Barometer and NFC chip, useful but doesn't feature high up in my decision making.

I am a little worried about some comments regarding lagging, lack of software support/update and screen res on the Note 10.1. However, I am hoping that the next software update for the Note 10.1 will resolve these issue. I am not sure I wll be impressed with the screen res but I understand it's HD also?

I will order my Note 10.1 today, and promptly post feedback in the next week. If it's really bad I will send it back for refund but I sure as hell ain't going to buy the Nexus 10. I hate it when companies take away your options and force you into a position - personally I feel it's just money making and didn't believe Google was solely about that. I saw the whole purpose of Google as freedom, versitility and getting away from the whole proprietary thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: UndisputedGuy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same boat

I'm in almost the same boat as the OP, except that I actually currently have a Note 10.1 that is still in its 30 day return period. I've also been trying to figure out what I should do, but I have the advantage that I've actually been using the Note 10.1 for a few days now.

I'm already on my second tablet, as I returned my first choice, the TF700, because of its terrible IO performance which made my experience with it very frustrating.

It's a difficult decision as the Note 10.1 is a great device. However, I think I've pretty much decided that I'm going to return it and get a Nexus 10 instead, for the following reasons:

• The biggest reason: I really do miss the TF700's screen! The Nexus' is going to be even better, and the Note's is blatantly nowhere near as good as either of them.
    • I doubt I'm going to use more than 32G of storage (for my use case: I understand that this is a problem for others)
    • Having more prompt updates is definitely a plus! This obviously includes getting 4.2 *now*, while the Note 10.1 is still waiting for 4.1.
    • The standard connector is appealing to me
    • I really don't use the stylus that much. It's cool, and is well implemented, but it doesn't justify the next point
    • I'll be saving money!

Again, this is very much a personal decision. If you're someone who would make a lot of use of the stylus, then the Note 10.1 is probably the better choice for you. But for me, I think the Nexus is going to make me more happy. The first point above is my primary reason really: I'm probably going to be using it to read things most of the time, so a better screen makes all the difference there.

My only fear really is that it's going to have similar performance problems to the TF700, but I think that's probably a very Asus-specific issue, and since this is Samsung-manufactured anyway, I doubt it's going to be an issue.

Good luck with your choice!
    People really do just find ways to ***** and complain about products. If you don't want the product then get off the forum.
    No point to keep *****ing about useless BS.

Sound advice. Let's never let others know to avoid a product that sucks.

via Tapatalk

Even though nexus is Dualcore vs Quadcore in note? why should nexus be better?

Quad core doesn't mean its better as people have said. Even dual core computers are faster than quad core.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Also, Nexus is pure Google/android.
    I just played with the Note because I'm considering the N10... and I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Like... I was practically floored. Sure, it's nice and light, but if you pinch it, the back flexes. On the other kiosk sat a tab 2, which felt 10x better built, but neither felt as sturdy as my $200 Nexus 7. If I'm going to spend 500 dollars on a gadget, it better not feel like a toy, and the reviews (thankfully) suggest the Nexus10 has a superior build to the note.

The plastic on the Galaxy s3 does't bother me because it still feels well built... no flex. But on the Note 10.1? I was scared of breaking it just picking it up. (It was pretty zippy though- surprisingly good performance)

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I agree, SD card would be nice. But to my knowledge, no Nexus device has come with one so far. I recall reading something from Google about how external storage leads to performance issues or something for certain users or complicates the experience.... Not sure I buy that, it could be a money grab to get you to buy the 500 dollar model. I used to be the guy who had to carry ALL his music around, wanted every device to have the biggest card available in it. However, it has gotten a lot, lot easier to move things back and forth from tablet to computer. Also, I think a lot of people have access to tethering from their phone (in fact, I've got unlimited access :p) I started to wonder.... Do I really need to have 18 days worth of music with me at all times? Or could I get by with 100 albums, and swap em when I need to? And even then, you can do it with an OTG if you're going on a long trip, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a shame it doesnt have it. I said the same thing about the Nexus 7. But honestly, I haven't missed it like I thought I would. And If I really decide I need to have more space, I can always load a big microSD into my phone for music,

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

also, you mentioned worrying about breaking the micro USB by using OTG.... but you can transfer files to the tablet with it. You don't have to leave it hanging out there while you watch the movie, you just have to have it on for the 5-10 minutes it takes you to swap in whatever content you want. I've never been terribly worried about breaking my Nexus 7 this way.