Do you think Motorola made the G camera look worse then the X's on purpose?

Search This thread

madman

Apr 21, 2011
Planet Earth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 6
Nope, SoC and 1080p are examples that help bring out my point:
"It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst."

I think custom firmware such as cyanogenmod can enable 1080p recording.. I have seen such things.. So you can hope and switch to it.. And 1.4 or 1.6 will also be available there

Sent from Hell

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
I am suspecting this as well.
The MSM8226 processor is supposed to be 1.4 GHz but in our Moto G it is underclocked to 1.2GHz.
5MP camera is good enough to take 1080p video, but for moto g the maximum is only 720p.
It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst.

Usually chipmakers like Qualcomm have several variants of same chipset with different operating frquency. So motorola might have bought 1.2ghz variant of MSM8226 to reduce cost.

unrafa

Dec 17, 2008
Galicia
LineageOS
Motorola have a history of cripple phones with software; like motorola defy; underclocked below its specs; i hope this is the case with moto g camera and someone fix this

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Wadu436

Jan 17, 2014
Where is your evidence that processor clock at 0.2GHz slower will actually save much battery? how many percent?
It might be smooth for now but that doesn't mean it will be smooth after major android update in the future.

Really? do you mean that those phone out there that can take 1080p cannot shoot in 720p? there wasn't any option for that?

I didn't say Motorola try to make Moto G terrible, I'm just saying they try to distinct their flagship and non-flagship.
In fact, I think Moto G is a terrific product for under 200 US dollar but by looking at the capability of Moto G hardware, I wish it could be better.
Back to topic, what do you think Motorola is trying to "save" here by having excess noise reduction for the camera?

And when that happens, they can do a kernel update to clock it at 1.4 or 1.6ghz to make it smooth again

BarnOwl

Jan 21, 2003
The Netherlands
www.parketvloeren.nl
Could somebody please "up" this thread with any comment? I forgot my account password on motorola forum xD They still didn't answer. Thank you

Ok, I just posted, but I hope there are a lot more people out here that will do the same thing...........It's worth it! :)

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Explain how Motorola would benefit from this.

Maybe because of the Moto X ?

hellzapoppin

Apr 6, 2012
A new updated is avaliable at google play today. Not sure if it has any improvement.

- Now you can take photos using volume button
- Compatible with android 4.4 (????)
- Bug fixes

Last edited:

schurl85

Oct 13, 2008
Vienna
Eventually would it be possible to extract the driver from another phone or from the devkit on the aptiva website?

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

CADude

Nov 29, 2011
A new updated is avaliable at google play today. Not sure if it has any improvement.

- Now you can take photos using volume button
- Compatible with android 4.4 (????)
- Bug fixes

Focusing is better, but that's just the app. You need a firmware update to fix the camera's excessive noise reduction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am suspecting this as well.
    The MSM8226 processor is supposed to be 1.4 GHz but in our Moto G it is underclocked to 1.2GHz.
    5MP camera is good enough to take 1080p video, but for moto g the maximum is only 720p.
    It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst.

What's the point of having it clocked to 1.4 when 1.2 is already smooth as butter? It will just waste battery life.

What's the point of having it record 1080p videos when it only has a 720p screen? It will just waste memory.

I think you guys should start thinking about this logically before assuming moto is out to purposely make the moto g terrible. Optimizations of battery life and file size are important, especially on a phone that has a non removable battery and no SD card slot.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seem to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, its got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.

Haha conspiracy theory!.... Let's flood them with emails?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    Haha conspiracy theory!.... Let's flood them with emails?

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Hopefully people have already been doing that along with posting on their forum.
    Sensor Flyer

Here the flyer says sensor is capable of Shooting 1080p videos

https://www.aptina.com/assets/downloadDocument.do?id=929
    if the camera and soc support full hd video recording why would motorola not implement it?

So which keen developer here at XDA does pick it up to do something about it................;)