[GUIDE] Unlock your MK2 Knox Galaxy S4

Search This thread

Tsumi

Nov 9, 2010
After several hours of trial and error, I found a way that worked for me. It will trip the Knox counter though. Also, what worked for me may not work for everyone else. If you brick your device that's not my fault in any way, so good luck :D

Using this guide, flash back to the stock TAR (not the UVUAMDL TAR). This restores 4.2.2, which allows access to the menu. However, this alone is not enough, as it won't give you access to the perso functions. Attempting to flash the UVUAMDL TAR will result in an error (at least, it did for me).

Second, extract the modem.bin from the UVUAMDL file, and flashed it to the phone using Odin. It's similar to the guide above, but instead of using PDA, you use phone. This gives you access to the perso functions, as it forces the baseband back to UVUAMDL from UVUEMK2. It may be possible to flash the UVUAMDL.tar modem files found in other threads, I haven't tried this out myself though.

Now, at this point you can follow the instructions in this thread, as every option should now be available. If they're not, make sure your Android version is 4.2.2 and that the baseband is UVUAMDL.

If it works at this point, great, go on to the next step (you may have noticed by now that your sound is not working). If not, use RegionLock Away to fully unlock the phone. At this point, your phone should be fully unlocked and you can see it connected to the network. However, dialing/calling lags significantly, and there is no sound.

The next step is to use Odin to fully restore UVUEMK2, which would restore full functionality. You can download the file from here, and flash using the same steps above. This will restore full sound and phone functionality, while your device remains unlocked. If it gets stuck during the boot animation, you simply need to do a factory wipe from recovery (not sure if this works, haven't tested it myself), or just install your recovery of choice from Odin and install whatever ROM you want to use (what I did, which still required a full factory reset from recovery). Skipping restoring UVUEMK2 and installing your ROM of choice does not work, however. You will still have no sound and the phone function will lag considerably.

If everything goes well, you should have a fully unlocked T-mobile Galaxy S4.

Better guide by kali323:

1. Download MDB Tar. Extract from 7zip file and then rename the file (remove the .md5) so the filename should be "SGH-M919-UVUAMDB-k0nane.tar"

http://www.hunterspad.com/Domains/S...ir=Xda/Galaxy+S4/T-Mobile+S4/Return+To+stock/

2. Odin the MDB Tar in the PDA slot and once it finish go to recovery and factory reset.

3. It will take forever to reboot and it will be stuck at the boot up screen for awhile with this error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel". In about to 5-10 mins it will boot up.

4. Now youre in MDB 4.2.2 with MK2 modem.

5. Odin the .bin file below. Use the PHONE slot in odin and not PDA. Again it will take 5-10 mins to boot up with the error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel"

https://mega.co.nz/#!S9AjUAYA!GOOIp2B4z5dIZy2RFxwQBsMz_v7nRJiOypoAjkuAwtc

6. Now you have MDB Rom with MDL modem

7.Odin CF AutoRoot with the link below in the PDA Slot. It will take 5-10 mins to boot up with the error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel"

http://download.chainfire.eu/328/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.zip

8.Download RegionLock Away 1.3 App either in the thread below or buy it at the google play store to support the developer

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470551

9. Run RegionLock Away and click reboot now. It will take another 5-10 mins to boot up and if you dont ask you for an unlock code with a non tmobile or non tmobile mnvo sim then youre are unlocked.

10. Odin 4.3 or 4.4 and youre done

Some additional info:

This method works the only problem I encountered is while flashing the modem i couldn't make it flash, i would flash it but then in settings my baseband would stay mk2 so the way to fix this is to flash in odin with auto reboot off. then when its done flashing unplug the phone then pull the battery and boot straight into download mode and flash the modem.bin once again same drill, auto reboot off then pull the battery then reboot and it should work.

edit: just kidding this method did not work for me, the unlock prompt no longer shows up, but an at&t sim card still will not work, although it does tell me i have five voicemails that i cannot listen to. no texts no calls no data, where it should say at&t in the notification panel it says no service... :/ any ideas? I havent yet updated back to 4.3/4.4 yet could that be the problem?

when I try to call it just says "not registered on network"

turns out that it is just because i havent updated back yet, not even a t-mobile sim works. turns out I have a blacklisted imei! but i think I am unlocked hopefully this (at least the first part) answers a few questions aroused during this process, may be the op could get updated with a couple key peices in this post. also huge kudos for this!

Last edited:

ionutul

Dec 18, 2012
hello,
i tried to flash the stock tar as you said, but i get an error.
it says:
write protection: enable
secure magiccode check fail : boot
what can i do in this case? :(
thank you!

Attachments

• siv.jpg
    siv.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,183
Last edited:

Tsumi

Nov 9, 2010
hello,
it says:
thank you!

I'm not too sure actually, I didn't run into that error, and I don't have other S4s I can try it out on.

There were several things I did do before trying to flash back though, that may have had an effect. The first is rooting through motochopper's method. The second was installing and running regionlock away. Try rooting first and then flashing. Otherwise, I might have to chalk it up as something unique with my phone I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: kali323

dyangster

Mar 8, 2014
After several hours of trial and error, I found a way that worked for me. It will trip the Knox counter though. Also, what worked for me may not work for everyone else. If you brick your device that's not my fault in any way, so good luck :D

Using this guide, flash back to the stock TAR (not the UVUAMDL TAR). This restores 4.2.2, which allows access to the menu. However, this alone is not enough, as it won't give you access to the perso functions. Attempting to flash the UVUAMDL TAR will result in an error (at least, it did for me).

Second, extract the modem.bin from the UVUAMDL file, and flashed it to the phone using Odin. It's similar to the guide above, but instead of using PDA, you use phone. This gives you access to the perso functions, as it forces the baseband back to UVUAMDL from UVUEMK2. It may be possible to flash the UVUAMDL.tar modem files found in other threads, I haven't tried this out myself though.

Now, at this point you can follow the instructions in this thread, as every option should now be available. If they're not, make sure your Android version is 4.2.2 and that the baseband is UVUAMDL.

If it works at this point, great, go on to the next step (you may have noticed by now that your sound is not working). If not, use RegionLock Away to fully unlock the phone. At this point, your phone should be fully unlocked and you can see it connected to the network. However, dialing/calling lags significantly, and there is no sound.

The next step is to use Odin to fully restore UVUEMK2, which would restore full functionality. You can download the file from here, and flash using the same steps above. This will restore full sound and phone functionality, while your device remains unlocked. If it gets stuck during the boot animation, you simply need to do a factory wipe from recovery (not sure if this works, haven't tested it myself), or just install your recovery of choice from Odin and install whatever ROM you want to use (what I did, which still required a full factory reset from recovery). Skipping restoring UVUEMK2 and installing your ROM of choice does not work, however. You will still have no sound and the phone function will lag considerably.

HELP...!

Ok, I've been reading many many articles for the past few days and finally have mustered enough energy to attempt the unlock my T-Mobile SGH-M919 running MK2 firmware. Since I was unable to get into the service menu and input keys using the many directions on this site.... I attempt to flash to old older firmware, following this guide.

I followed each direction 1 step at and time and followed it to the "T". Anyway, long story short... I tried and it soft bricked my phone. I get the warning screen that the firmware was unsuccessful and that I need to run recovery using Samsung Kies. I download the software and attempt recovery. It got to roughly 90% and then it failed too. I reverted back to Odin and reflash using MK2. It too got to about 90% and fails. What is going on?

Any more tips to get this thing working again?? Help.

Reactions: raygv

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Um I'm almost sure once you are on mk2 your not able to go back to mdl. Do to the boot loader...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

If your rooted you can try region Loa away by chain fire see if it works.

dyangster

Mar 8, 2014
Um I'm almost sure once you are on mk2 your not able to go back to mdl. Do to the boot loader...

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

If your rooted you can try region Loa away by chain fire see if it works.

wwwhheeew.... finally got it to unbrick. Took 4 hours to get this thing operational again. I thought the guide specifically says it can downgrade from MK2 to MDL? I already ran the Regionlock app and it appears to be done right, but it's still not sim unlocked.!

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
wwwhheeew.... finally got it to unbrick. Took 4 hours to get this thing operational again. I thought the guide specifically says it can downgrade from MK2 to MDL? I already ran the Regionlock app and it appears to be done right, but it's still not sim unlocked.!

same problem, RLA does not work on MK2, flashing MDL modem and going through the motions also does NOT sim unlock...cant seem to get this thing working.

funny thing is it wont even register on the network with a GoSmart sim, GoSmart being a TMO MVNO.

i hate sammy...

Tsumi

Nov 9, 2010
I flashed to the stock firmware first, which I believe is the MDB firmware. It doesn't work attempting to go to MDL. Going to MDB gets you 4.2.2, but you would still be locked because it keeps the MK2 modem.

The second step was to extract the MDL modem.bin from the TAR, and then flash that on Odin via the phone method. That was how I was able to downgrade the modem from MK2 to MDL, but that screws up sound, but allows you access to the unlock functions.

Reactions: kali323

kali323

Jun 25, 2011
Kali
Odin MDB and factrory reset in recovery. I was stuck at "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel" at the boot up screen. I thought it didnt work and wasnt going to boot up and was looking MK2 tar and then out of nowhere after 5 mins I hear the tmobile boot up sound and this **** actually boot it. Im in MDB 4.2.2 with mk2 baseband. Just need to downgrade baseband and Ill let you know if it works guys. Ill post all files as well that I use

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I have successfully unlocked and I was at 4.3. Huge props to Tsumi. Ill post an updated guide of Tsumi unlocked method of all the files I used

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

How to Unlocked M919 on MK2 4.3. This method has no been tested on the new MB4 4.4.2 update

Huge Props to Tsumi. Is his method and thank/donate to him. i use his guide but it wasnt clear enough so I went searching to internet for links for all the correct files.

Im not responsible for any bricks but if you follow carefully then you shouldn't

This method will trip KNOX

1. Download MDB Tar. Extract from 7zip file and then rename the file (remove the .md5) so the filename should be "SGH-M919-UVUAMDB-k0nane.tar"

http://www.hunterspad.com/Domains/S...ir=Xda/Galaxy+S4/T-Mobile+S4/Return+To+stock/

2. Odin the MDB Tar in the PDA slot and once it finish go to recovery and factory reset.

3. It will take forever to reboot and it will be stuck at the boot up screen for awhile with this error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel". In about to 5-10 mins it will boot up.

5. Odin the .bin file below. Use the PHONE slot in odin and not PDA. Again it will take 5-10 mins to boot up with the error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel"

7.Odin CF AutoRoot with the link below in the PDA Slot. It will take 5-10 mins to boot up with the error "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel"

http://download.chainfire.eu/328/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.zip

8.Download RegionLock Away 1.3 App either in the thread below or buy it at the google play store to support the developer

9. Run RegionLock Away and click reboot now. It will take another 5-10 mins to boot up and if you dont ask you for an unlock code with a non tmobile or non tmobile mnvo sim then youre are unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: syn3h and Tsumi

JerkLife

Feb 17, 2013
Help

Hey I Have A Tmobile Galaxy s4 and it says my sim isn't registered on the network i was just wondering if there was anyway to get this running, i tried the above method and it completed but i still can't use a tmobile sim on my phone.

Tsumi

Nov 9, 2010
Hey I Have A Tmobile Galaxy s4 and it says my sim isn't registered on the network i was just wondering if there was anyway to get this running, i tried the above method and it completed but i still can't use a tmobile sim on my phone.

If you have a T-mobile S4 and a T-mobile sim, and it says sim is not valid, then you need to contact T-mobile about your sim card. Either that, or your phone has a bad IMEI (not sure what error message would pop up if you have a bad IMEI). Either way, it's not an unlocking problem. Either your sim or your phone is invalid on the T-mobile network.

Reactions: JerkLife

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
This method works the only problem I encountered is while flashing the modem i couldn't make it flash, i would flash it but then in settings my baseband would stay mk2 so the way to fix this is to flash in odin with auto reboot off. then when its done flashing unplug the phone then pull the battery and boot straight into download mode and flash the modem.bin once again same drill, auto reboot off then pull the battery then reboot and it should work.

edit: just kidding this method did not work for me, the unlock prompt no longer shows up, but an at&t sim card still will not work, although it does tell me i have five voicemails that i cannot listen to. no texts no calls no data, where it should say at&t in the notification panel it says no service... :/ any ideas? I havent yet updated back to 4.3/4.4 yet could that be the problem?

turns out that it is just because i havent updated back yet, not even a t-mobile sim works. turns out I have a blacklisted imei! but i think I am unlocked hopefully this (at least the first part) answers a few questions aroused during this process, may be the op could get updated with a couple key peices in this post. also huge kudos for this!

Last edited:

Tsumi

Nov 9, 2010

As I have only done this on one phone, I am not sure what issues you were encountering. Also, like I said in my post, YMMV, different phones may behave differently.

What do you want to see updated?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
As I have only done this on one phone, I am not sure what issues you were encountering. Also, like I said in my post, YMMV, different phones may behave differently.

That message pops up when its blacklisted so it won't work regardless if you unlock it

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BoloVon

Apr 23, 2014
No wifi

i was able to flash stock tar to my s4. now i cannot get wifi to work.. i tried turning it on but the signal comes back off.
help please..

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
That \/ maybe just add a link to my post saying if you have problems with the .bin part then see here or not its whatever you see fit
the way to fix this is to flash in odin with auto reboot off. then when its done flashing unplug the phone then pull the battery and boot straight into download mode and flash the modem.bin once again same drill, auto reboot off then pull the battery then reboot and it should work.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

i was able to flash stock tar to my s4. now i cannot get wifi to work.. i tried turning it on but the signal comes back off.
help please..

Which stock are you referring to? The 4.4.2 one?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Better guide by kali323:

Some additional info:

Odin MDB and factrory reset in recovery. I was stuck at "Kernel is not seandroid enforcing set warranty bit: Kernel" at the boot up screen. I thought it didnt work and wasnt going to boot up and was looking MK2 tar and then out of nowhere after 5 mins I hear the tmobile boot up sound and this **** actually boot it. Im in MDB 4.2.2 with mk2 baseband. Just need to downgrade baseband and Ill let you know if it works guys. Ill post all files as well that I use

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I have successfully unlocked and I was at 4.3. Huge props to Tsumi. Ill post an updated guide of Tsumi unlocked method of all the files I used

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

How to Unlocked M919 on MK2 4.3. This method has no been tested on the new MB4 4.4.2 update

Huge Props to Tsumi. Is his method and thank/donate to him. i use his guide but it wasnt clear enough so I went searching to internet for links for all the correct files.

Im not responsible for any bricks but if you follow carefully then you shouldn't

This method will trip KNOX

hello,
    it says:
    thank you!

I'm not too sure actually, I didn't run into that error, and I don't have other S4s I can try it out on.

There were several things I did do before trying to flash back though, that may have had an effect. The first is rooting through motochopper's method. The second was installing and running regionlock away. Try rooting first and then flashing. Otherwise, I might have to chalk it up as something unique with my phone I'm not aware of.

HELP...!

Ok, I've been reading many many articles for the past few days and finally have mustered enough energy to attempt the unlock my T-Mobile SGH-M919 running MK2 firmware. Since I was unable to get into the service menu and input keys using the many directions on this site.... I attempt to flash to old older firmware, following this guide.

I followed each direction 1 step at and time and followed it to the "T". Anyway, long story short... I tried and it soft bricked my phone. I get the warning screen that the firmware was unsuccessful and that I need to run recovery using Samsung Kies. I download the software and attempt recovery. It got to roughly 90% and then it failed too. I reverted back to Odin and reflash using MK2. It too got to about 90% and fails. What is going on?

Any more tips to get this thing working again?? Help.
    I flashed to the stock firmware first, which I believe is the MDB firmware. It doesn't work attempting to go to MDL. Going to MDB gets you 4.2.2, but you would still be locked because it keeps the MK2 modem.

The second step was to extract the MDL modem.bin from the TAR, and then flash that on Odin via the phone method. That was how I was able to downgrade the modem from MK2 to MDL, but that screws up sound, but allows you access to the unlock functions.