Boost Mobile APN fix for any ROM

Search This thread

Moped_Ryder

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus
Haha! The things you find when one googles your profile. Small world indeed.

If you want a link to the folder I keep the fixes in use this: (copy to OP if wanted)

Boost LTE fix

R2 is basically a install binary update.

Here is some back story / info on the 'fix':

The primary goal I set out to do was to get lte working on our phones with CM / AOSP ROMs(I have a G3 Virgin Mobile phone). Secondary, if able was to get MMS to work. MMS is still a challenge to say the least. In order to get LTE / MMS to work on Sprints network you need to identify yourself as Boost / Virgin on the Sprint network...with correct settings and at times credentials. The APN settings I made actually is a combo of both Sprint and Virgin/Boost settings.

Beyond the APN settings I made a simple bash script to 'find and replace', or if not found input the settings required. It also adds a eri.xml for the phone to identify itself as Boost / Virgin.

Getting MMS to work on LTE made me pull my hair out. Virgin mobile(Boost) working on Sprint networks when it comes to MMS messages is an over complicated issue caused the providers. When attempting to receive MMS on LTE networks with stock MMS or some 3rd party MMS apps it returns with a "HTTP error: Authorization Required". When trying it on 3G its no problem. Seems they required "Authorization" for MMS on LTE but not 3G - go figure. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesn't use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

For Samsung phones (My S3) TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

I have also found this fix doesn't seem to work on MIUI ROMs either. Haven't figured out why. For some reason every S3 sprint MIUI ROM wont even boot on my phone.

For my fix - if anyone wants to use / edit / repost it I say go for it. Open source at its finest. Best way to learn IMO is to reverse engineer something....just be careful :fingers-crossed:

As for the code if anyone wants to see it without unzipping:

The reason this is capable of flashing on multiple phones is partition specific blocks are not used.

Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

Is used and not something like:

Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "/system");

Script I made for the build.prop edits:
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
#For APNs fix D2LTE Build ROMs
#Written by Moped_Ryder
#Update to handle universal lte builds
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop-bak
if grep -q "ro.cdma.home.operator" "/system/build.prop"; then  
	sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.product.locale.region=.*$/ro.product.locale.region=US/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country =US/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.operator.iso-country=US/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.telephony.default_network=.*$/ro.telephony.default_network=8/' /system/build.prop
else  
	echo "####Adding the Boost Mobile APN fixes####" >> /system/build.prop
	echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870" >> /system/build.prop
	echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile" >> /system/build.prop
	echo "ro.telephony.default_network=8" >> /system/build.prop
	echo "telephony.slteOnCdmaDevice=1" >> /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.product.locale.region=.*$/ro.product.locale.region=US/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country =US/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.operator.iso-country=US/' /system/build.prop
fi
if grep -q "moped_ryder" "/system/build.prop"; then
	echo "its there"
else
	echo "#moped_ryder carrier edit completed" >> /system/build.prop
fi

Like I said nothing too complicated :cowboy:

The APN Settings used are:
Code:
	<!-- BOOST MOBILE CUSTOM APNS -->
	<apn carrier="APN1 Boost Internet LTE" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.boost.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com" type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" bearer="14" /> 
	<apn carrier="APN2 Boost Internet EHRPD" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.boost.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com" type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" bearer="13" /> 
	<!-- END BOOST MOBILE CUSTOM APNS-->

Credit where due > My work may not have been possible without junkie2100 from android forums. You ever see him - give him a like / thanks please :good:

...as said in the OP flash at own risk. Sorry so long

Last edited:
Reactions: vitokes

Lucas Eugene

If you want a link to the folder I keep the fixes in use this: (copy to OP if wanted)

Boost LTE fix

Here is some back story / info on the 'fix':

The primary goal I set out to do was to get lte working on our phones with CM / AOSP ROMs(I have a G3 Virgin Mobile phone). Secondary, if able was to get MMS to work. MMS is still a challenge to say the least. In order to get LTE / MMS to work on Sprints network you need to identify yourself as Boost / Virgin on the Sprint network...with correct settings and at times credentials. The APN settings I made actually is a combo of both Sprint and Virgin/Boost settings.

Beyond the APN settings I made a simple bash script to 'find and replace', or if not found input the settings required. It also adds a eri.xml for the phone to identify itself as Boost / Virgin.

Getting MMS to work on LTE made me pull my hair out. Virgin mobile(Boost) working on Sprint networks when it comes to MMS messages is an over complicated issue caused the providers. When attempting to receive MMS on LTE networks with stock MMS or some 3rd party MMS apps it returns with a "HTTP error: Authorization Required". When trying it on 3G its no problem. Seems they required "Authorization" for MMS on LTE but not 3G - go figure. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesn't use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

For Samsung phones (My S3) TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

I have also found this fix doesn't seem to work on MIUI ROMs either. Haven't figured out why. For some reason every S3 sprint MIUI ROM wont even boot on my phone.

For my fix - if anyone wants to use / edit / repost it I say go for it. Open source at its finest. Best way to learn IMO is to reverse engineer something....just be careful :fingers-crossed:

The reason this is capable of flashing on multiple phones is partition specific blocks are not used.

Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

Code:

Code:
#!/sbin/sh
#Written by Moped_Ryder
	sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/gsm.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
	sed -i 's/ro.telephony.default_network=.*$/ro.telephony.default_network=8/' /system/build.prop
else  
fi
	echo "its there"
else
fi

Code:
	<!-- BOOST MOBILE CUSTOM APNS -->
	<apn carrier="APN1 Boost Internet LTE" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.boost.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com" type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" bearer="14" /> 
	<apn carrier="APN2 Boost Internet EHRPD" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="n.boost.ispsn" user="" server="" password="" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com" type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" bearer="13" /> 
	<!-- END BOOST MOBILE CUSTOM APNS-->

Credit where due > My work may not have been possible without junkie2100 from android forums. You ever see him - give him a like / thanks please :good:

...as said in the OP flash at own risk. Sorry so long

Hi could you please reupload the fix to another site.

coolbeans2016

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta
*question*

I think maybe it should be. People wanted a fix and now they don't care. Is all good though. If it helps who tried that's good enough for me:)

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

I run across this searching for something else but it is something that has been buging me since getting my boost account active again in a little over a year. I have an HTC One sv, 4.2.2, unlocked thru HTCDev, rooted with TWRP 2.8.5.0 and SuperSU by Chainfire, s-off with rumrunner. Just running stock HTC RUU debloated with one_sv_swapper that got my partitions to app storage/6.85gb, phone internal/1/15, and my ext_sd. My phone wouldn't get service after account getting opened and when I called in the first rep reminded me to shut it down, wait a minute & turn it on. Got the phone to working at that point (I believe, can't remember exactly) but the data wasn't? or maybe both, but when I called back in I was directed up under mobile data/network mode and had to choose cdma only to get it to connect. Why can I not get lte/cdma? Isn't that part of what you pay for?

zach

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

I think maybe it should be. People wanted a fix and now they don't care. Is all good though. If it helps who tried that's good enough for me:)

I run across this searching for something else but it is something that has been buging me since getting my boost account active again in a little over a year. I have an HTC One sv, 4.2.2, unlocked thru HTCDev, rooted with TWRP 2.8.5.0 and SuperSU by Chainfire, s-off with rumrunner. Just running stock HTC RUU debloated with one_sv_swapper that got my partitions to app storage/6.85gb, phone internal/1/15, and my ext_sd. My phone wouldn't get service after account getting opened and when I called in the first rep reminded me to shut it down, wait a minute & turn it on. Got the phone to working at that point (I believe, can't remember exactly) but the data wasn't? or maybe both, but when I called back in I was directed up under mobile data/network mode and had to choose cdma only to get it to connect. Why can I not get lte/cdma? Isn't that part of what you pay for?

zach

windowsrefund

Sep 5, 2015
LTE drops data on a daily basis

Hi,

I'm running the latest Optimized Cynogenmod 12.1 along with v2 of the APN fix on my SPH-L720. At least once per day, I see that my data connection drops and I have to manually go through the following steps to recover it.

1. Pull down the status bar
2. Long-Click on the circled "Boost Mobile" icon
3. Select "Access Point Names"

There are 2 entries listed:
- APN1 Boost Internet LTE
- APN2 Boost Internet EHRPD

The first "enabled" despite the data connection not working.

4. Click on the 2nd entry

After clicking on the 2nd entry, the first entry is automattically re-enabled and the data connection is reestablished.

So, my questions would be:

1. Am I the only person on this forum who is seeing this behavior? I haven't seen any other reports.
2. Does anyone know how or why this happens? I'm in NYC and am not sure if location has any effect on this daily problem.
3. Based on the answers to 1 & 2, any chance of a long-term fix?

Thanks in advance

crwofter1

Jan 8, 2016
Is there something easy for me to do. Been trying to unlock wifi hotspot on Boost with not Note 2. So far I have managed to root phone with Kingroot, (ONLY oNE THAT WORKED) also done about 25 other down loads. Foxfi with key not working and hot spot not working. Can't get Apn changer to light up to try to change it. OMG! Running in circles here. HELP PLZ!!

lowmaz

OK I have a Galaxy S3 L710 on Boost Mobile. I have used the universal Boost APN fix before and it worked like a charm. However in the last update or 5, I haven't beenbeen able to get LTE to work at all. I'm running cm13 and get mobile data with 3g but no 4g? I've tried cleaning the caches, writing over my update, by itself, ect. Can someone direct me as to what I'm doing wrong? It worked before and I never had any trouble until the last month or so. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

j€nish

Jan 7, 2016
My nokia x2
Lollipop custom rom
2nd sim can't received APN
Which file for APN receive?
Please help me

Last edited:
G

GuestD0701

@vitokes Having issues getting Boost data on gsi roms. I've tried messing with telephony.db and apn.config.xml and have not been successful. The apn I had on stock pie that my device (Moto G6 play/Jeter) was set on that it worked perfectly on was:

Name: internet
Apn: x.boost.ispsn
mmsc: http://mm.myboostmobile.com
mms proxy: oap7.sprint.pcs.com
mms port: 80
mcc: 311
mnc: 870
Apn type: default,supl,mms,cbs,ia
Apn protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Bearer: eHRPD

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this data going. I know this thread is old but I figure wth it's worth a shot. I sure would be forever grateful if anyone could help. I'll post the apn.config.xml in a few after I go grab it from my rom now and stock pie before I installed the gsi rom. ✌️

Ps: I've done a ton of searching and cane up with nothing. Any assistance sure would be a HUGE help to me and is add it to our forum and link to whoever can help. Plleeeeaassee. Lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so first thing is first let this be known that this was not created by me. I'm just sharing along since I found a fix. All you have to do is Google up "universal boost mobile APN fix for d2lte" its a mod created by mopedryder. All credit goes to him. I haven't thanked cause I'm not on the thread. But here you go. This will fix the APN. Receive and send MMS and also fix "roaming indicator" to "Boost Mobile". Hope this works for everyone else like me.

Currently tried with C-Rom. Try it out and share your findings

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE! FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

All Thanks go to MOPEDRYDER

How to:
    1) Flash rom of choice
    2) Let Rom update and finish.
    3) Reboot to recovery, MAKE BACKUP, Flash fix
    (wipe dalvik/cache if you want)
    4) Reboot and change settings in Hangouts.
    5) Test it

Since the fix is meant for the LTE network from Hangouts APN's select "Sprint CdmaNai" There are two of them so select the one that works best. I usually use the first one.

So far what i have tried it on.

*CM11 - Working with fix and using hangouts.
    *Paranoid Android - Working with fix and using Hangouts
    *C-Rom - Working with fix and using Hangouts As of C-Rom v7 data won't work on xt1031 so MMS will not send. And no you can't do it over WiFi might as well send it through regular Hangouts.
    *Slim Rom - Not working. Just hangs at (Sending)
    *Lego Rom - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
    *Gummy Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.
    *AOSB (ProBAM) - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
    *Omni Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.

ALTERNATE FIX

After flashing APN fix and that didn't work try this:

1) Download 8sms from the playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms
    2) Go to settings in 8sms-> MMS settings-> add the following

MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com

MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7

MMS Port: 80
    3) Test it. Should work just fine.

Try this fix before and after flashing the APN fix with ROM. This won't work on ProBAM ROM for some reason but feel free to prove me wrong.

Mopedryder actually replied and gave his own input and this is what he had to follow with that ks go to him one more time and also junkie2100

Boost LTE fix

Here is some backstory / info on the 'fix':

#!/sbin/sh
    #Written by Moped_Ryder
    else
    fi
    echo "its there"
    else
    fi

...as said in the OP flash at won risk. Sorry so long
    That's why it didn't work! You won't be able to send mms without data..

Sorry guys forgot to check up. But yeah c-rom has broken data on xt1031 for the moment so that's why you can't send data. Probably won't work until then.

Could you test this on AOSB project ProBam ROM? Would be appreciated!

I'll try it out at work no problem.

So I did flash the fix and my phone shows up as Boost Mobile for my network, but it still won't send MMS. Which APN did you select since there's like 10 of em?

Alright so I've been going from ROM to ROM to see which one plays nice. My first was c-rom and that worked. Then I tried pa and that also worked. Anyways the apn's only go to hangouts since that's what it's meant for. Now I'm using Lego ROM and got some reason it won't send the pictures through it. The APN I pick from hangouts is SprintCdmanai.