Trying to Stop Cell Standby

Search This thread

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
So I was looking at the settings.db with the sql3 lite editor and came across this: Line 59 mobile_data value 1. However, I'm constantly in airplane mode and only turn on wifi and bluetooth as needed.

Is it possible that this line is the controlling factor to keep the Streak from turning on the mobile radio? Would setting this to value=0 stop cell standby?

I'm a little afraid to tamper with it since I don't know what it means - does anyone more knowledgeable than I know what this line controls?

Deafdan02

Feb 10, 2011
Port Richey
I also had this huge battery drain to cell standby (on the wifi only model...)

trying to flash the Honeystreak, and see if this changes (and to try out HC too hehe!)

Deafdan02

Feb 10, 2011
Port Richey
Not on the stock ROM. I have it and the cell controls only work with certain custom ROMs.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA Premium App

Okay, that makes sense. I was using that for awhile on the stock, and noticed no difference. Uninstalled it a week later.
Will try to test it out on streakdroid once I get back onto a working rom (fell into the BSOD of Honeystreak B3)

aweskelo

Aug 27, 2010
Okay, that makes sense. I was using that for awhile on the stock, and noticed no difference. Uninstalled it a week later.
Will try to test it out on streakdroid once I get back onto a working rom (fell into the BSOD of Honeystreak B3)

get airplane mode wifi app - turns off the radio but allows wifi

edit...having trouble finding on the marketplace...but this is it:

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-geekherd-airplanemode-qqiq.aspx

Last edited:

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Just keep airplane mode (Setttings>Wireless) on all the time - no need to ever turn it off since there really is no phone in this tablet.

That doesn't stop the phone modem. If you check the settings you will see that the device is still picking up signal from the cell towers. It just isn't connecting with the mobile network.

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
I don't think that is doing anything more than the existing settings. The S7 already allows one to turn on WiFi during airplane mode. Earlier android versions did not allow this.

I finally was able to disable "cell standby" by the following procedure (for reference see the following in the Acer Iconia 500 forum: http://xdaforums.com/show...t=cell+standby )

Using "Bloat Freezer" freeze phone.apk (the instant this is done, it will force close - just hold the power button until it shuts off ) - this will only happen once. Then using "Bloat Freezer" freeze telephony.providers.apk - this doesn't force close. Reboot once more and viola! no more cell standby. I also noticed in the notification area at the top a new icon - it's 4 bars with an x over the lowest bar. It's like when you turn a cellphone on airplane mode - same type of icon.

Also, I had airplane mode enabled (I always have that) and now the little airplane no longer shows up - I guess it's been replaced by the "bars with x" icon. WiFi still works as well as it did before.

To me, this indicates that mobile data is off but maybe someone more knowledgable can give a better explanation.

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I finally was able to disable "cell standby" by the following procedure (for reference see the following in the Acer Iconia 500 forum: http://xdaforums.com/show...t=cell+standby )

Using "Bloat Freezer" freeze phone.apk (the instant this is done, it will force close - just hold the power button until it shuts off ) - this will only happen once. Then using "Bloat Freezer" freeze telephony.providers.apk - this doesn't force close. Reboot once more and viola! no more cell standby. I also noticed in the notification area at the top a new icon - it's 4 bars with an x over the lowest bar. It's like when you turn a cellphone on airplane mode - same type of icon.

Also, I had airplane mode enabled (I always have that) and now the little airplane no longer shows up - I guess it's been replaced by the "bars with x" icon. WiFi still works as well as it did before.

To me, this indicates that mobile data is off but maybe someone more knowledgable can give a better explanation.

The link does not work for me.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
The link does not work for me.
IDK why the link is invalid but here's the process:

Using "Bloat Freezer" freeze phone.apk (the instant this is done, it will force close - just hold the power button until it shuts off ) - this will only happen once. Then using "Bloat Freezer" freeze telephony.providers.apk - this doesn't force close. Reboot once more and viola! no more cell standby.

I also see in the notification area at the top a new icon - it's 4 bars with an x over the lowest bar. It's like when you turn a cellphone on airplane mode - same type of icon.