[TUTORIAL] How To Root the Sprint Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710)

Search This thread

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
I was recently asked to post some threads here on XDA with the tutorials I have on my site. As time permits I will be posting a series of threads here to the Q&A section that will hopefully answer most questions that might come up.

If you can't find your answer in one of my threads I would highly recommend BluesRulez One Stop FAQ Thread. It is an awesome resource and has answers to just about every question I've seen come up!

This thread details the process of how to root your device without having to flash a full stock ROM. This method works for the Sprint, Boost and Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710, SPH-D710BST and SPH-D710VMUB).

This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.

Prerequisites:
  • A PC running Windows with the Samsung Mobile Drivers Installed. The Samsung Mobile Drivers are available here.
  • Any One-Click Kernel (preferably from the Android version you will be using, i.e. GB, ICS or JB).
    All Sprint One-Click Recovery kernels can be found here.
    For this particular tutorial I used the following kernels:
  • Superuser (or SuperSU, MIUI Security, and etc) in a flashable zip, saved on your Internal or External SD Card.  For this method I used SuperSU v1.25 (but any SU in a flashable ZIP should work). You can download several different versions here.
  • Although not required it is recommended that you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC as well. You can download Samsung Kies here.

Side-Effects:
  • This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
  • It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen.
    Both of these side-effects are very easy to overcome due to the hard work of Chainfire and Garwynn. You can get TriangleAway from Chainfire's thread here.
For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Kr@zY_J

Dec 18, 2011
Tulsa
First..well 2nd to you!! Awesome work RW ..your time and dedication is GREATLY appreciated my friend!

Last edited:
Reactions: rwilco12

DevonL

Oct 1, 2010
Will any of these methods work with FL24? I'm new to rooting Samsungs and am used to simply rooting via exploits through ADB. I have the phone rooted (temp rooted?) via the exploit in Framaroot and am trying to get a custom recovery installed next to flash a ROM. Thanks! :)

BluesRulez

May 21, 2012
Some where in this universe.
Will any of these methods work with FL24? I'm new to rooting Samsungs and am used to simply rooting via exploits through ADB. I have the phone rooted (temp rooted?) via the exploit in Framaroot and am trying to get a custom recovery installed next to flash a ROM. Thanks! :)

Yes it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: rwilco12

KitWasHere

Jun 29, 2012
Does this exe. push the kernel/rom for me to flash automatically, or do I add that to the sdcard before I start?

yogurts

Feb 18, 2013
waterbury
hey first of thank you for your great work. but Im having issues. Once I reboot ,i had superuser app but nothing has root access. Im wondering what i did wrong. i have sph-d710vmub. Im trying to flash in recovery mode and nothing is working for me. I was told to flash a rooted rom but still anything that i try doing says installation aborted.. Please help;

rwilco12

hey first of thank you for your great work. but Im having issues. Once I reboot ,i had superuser app but nothing has root access. Im wondering what i did wrong. i have sph-d710vmub. Im trying to flash in recovery mode and nothing is working for me. I was told to flash a rooted rom but still anything that i try doing says installation aborted.. Please help;

You might have to turn SU on depending on which version you flashed. Open the app and see if under settings you see something like "Enable SuperUser" and make sure it's enabled.

If that doesn't fix it we may need to try another zip with a different set of symlinks. Either way, we're here for you and will get you squared away. :D

yogurts

Feb 18, 2013
waterbury
You might have to turn SU on depending on which version you flashed. Open the app and see if under settings you see something like "Enable SuperUser" and make sure it's enabled.

If that doesn't fix it we may need to try another zip with a different set of symlinks. Either way, we're here for you and will get you squared away. :D

what if flash the rooted stock rom that you have for sph-d710vmub on your website. will that help?. because i am about to flash it.

Ok i installed the rooted stock rom fj12 now i have rooted access. But my phone is asking me for an update. Cam i go ahead and update yes or no.?

Ok nevermind i updated to see what happend and it got me to fl26. No root access again. So im learning the hardway.

Last edited:

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
Worked like charm. Now I need one piece of advice from you. Can i flash any sph-d710 to vmub?

If you're asking - Can I flash VM builds on the Sprint D710, the answer is - yes. Did it when I tested the builds and everything worked properly.
If you're asking - Can I flash a VM build and be on VM service? Obviously you'll need to be activated to their service and provisioned properly. That's when you'd need to make sure that mmsc/apn/nv data is captured. I don't know if VM is a byod provider. (write that shiz down)

In theory yes. I'd recommend backing up your NV data just in case.

:D

Maybe??.. :p

EVObastard

Jan 26, 2013
Philladelphia
Couple Q's

Has anyone done this yet and how is it working out?
I am already rooted but on the stock FL24 and stock kernel, is that a problem?

Thanks for all this, I have been searching for 2 days and pulling my hair out to get this done. :good:

rwilco12

Couple Q's

Has anyone done this yet and how is it working out?
I am already rooted but on the stock FL24 and stock kernel, is that a problem?

Thanks for all this, I have been searching for 2 days and pulling my hair out to get this done. :good:

Yes. Many, many people have used this method successfully.

There's nothing wrong with a stock kernel, it just doesn't have a custom recovery packed into it or any kernel tweaks.

But I am confused... If you're already rooted why are you pulling your hair out?

EVObastard

Jan 26, 2013
Philladelphia
Yes. Many, many people have used this method successfully.

There's nothing wrong with a stock kernel, it just doesn't have a custom recovery packed into it or any kernel tweaks.

But I am confused... If you're already rooted why are you pulling your hair out?

Well mostly because I'm a noob lol. I heard also that if you do a factory reset with stock kernel you will brick it. But I want the extra options anyway. and really want to flash aJB ROM. Thank you very much for quick response, I shall give this a go in the morning.:thumbup:

Sprint GS3 Rooted, DaRTHSTAULKER X

rwilco12

Well mostly because I'm a noob lol. I heard also that if you do a factory reset with stock kernel you will brick it. But I want the extra options anyway. and really want to flash aJB ROM. Thank you very much for quick response, I shall give this a go in the morning.:thumbup:

Sprint GS3 Rooted, DaRTHSTAULKER X

K. Before you dive in too much further I would recommend doing a little more research. This device had had issues in the past that have made it very easy to brick. You should be very careful.

As a side note - This thread is a how to root thread but it sounds like you're already rooted. I don't know that there's any reason to reroot your device. You don't actually have to be rooted to get on JB either. You could just flash a one-click of a JB ROM.

Reactions: EVObastard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was recently asked to post some threads here on XDA with the tutorials I have on my site. As time permits I will be posting a series of threads here to the Q&A section that will hopefully answer most questions that might come up.

If you can't find your answer in one of my threads I would highly recommend BluesRulez One Stop FAQ Thread. It is an awesome resource and has answers to just about every question I've seen come up!

This thread details the process of how to root your device without having to flash a full stock ROM. This method works for the Sprint, Boost and Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710, SPH-D710BST and SPH-D710VMUB).

This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.

Prerequisites:
    • A PC running Windows with the Samsung Mobile Drivers Installed. The Samsung Mobile Drivers are available here.
    • Any One-Click Kernel (preferably from the Android version you will be using, i.e. GB, ICS or JB).
      All Sprint One-Click Recovery kernels can be found here.
      For this particular tutorial I used the following kernels:
    • Superuser (or SuperSU, MIUI Security, and etc) in a flashable zip, saved on your Internal or External SD Card.  For this method I used SuperSU v1.25 (but any SU in a flashable ZIP should work). You can download several different versions here.
    • Although not required it is recommended that you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC as well. You can download Samsung Kies here.

Side-Effects:
    • This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
    • It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen.
      Both of these side-effects are very easy to overcome due to the hard work of Chainfire and Garwynn. You can get TriangleAway from Chainfire's thread here.
    For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!
    Just updated the OP and instructions to help clarify a few things with rooting between GB, ICS and JB.

Enjoy!
    Success!

Thank you rwilco12, for the excellent instructions!
    I followed them line by line and my s2 is now rooted with no complications in the process.

Thanks!
    One of the quirkiest phones out there because of the kernel and Recovery combo.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

My ROM: WICKED X