Brand New To GNexus...Best ROM/Kernel Combo?

Search This thread

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I was looking at the CM9 Nightly with Trinity kernel or stock IMM76I with Trinity kernel (if it works together...waiting for a reply).

I literally haven't used the phone yet besides speed test and then rooting/unlocking/custom recovery so....just curious to hear opinions :)

farrock02

Jun 18, 2010
I was looking at the CM9 Nightly with Trinity kernel or stock IMM76I with Trinity kernel (if it works together...waiting for a reply).

I literally haven't used the phone yet besides speed test and then rooting/unlocking/custom recovery so....just curious to hear opinions :)

BAMF hands down with its stock kernal

number3pencil

Jan 9, 2012
We need a rule for 'best rom/kernel' posts. There is no such thing and there never will be.

Literally like asking, "whose the best comedian?" or "What's the best type of fruit?"

Its all subjective. Just read the description of each rom/kernel and determine which one is the best for your personal needs.

It's pretty to switch up rom/kernel combinations, especially when you first get your phone.

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
Try GummyNex and Franco kernel.

Also, I highly recommend you stay away from AOKP. Alot of the posts about "this phones laggy etc etc" keep coming from people who are running AOKP. Just avoid it, maybe dab in it.

CM9 is pretty good for me too with franco.

h22man

May 19, 2010
Have you thought about paranoid android? I run it with james bond kernal.. its built upon cm9.. hacked nova/market.. its a tablet hybrid. That means it gives you the function of a tablet while still maintaining the aesthetics of a phone.. its really a great rom. Its in its early stages but is still one of a kind. Check it out in either the cdma or GSM section..

I posted a screen shot of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335635433973.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335635433973.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 148

nav200

Jul 29, 2011
Vancouver
You should try black ice with lean kernel - great battery life, nice theme and smooth. I personally had random reboots with liquidsmooth and aokp but otherwise they were great roms.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I ran stock with Trinity kernel for a few hours then flashed Liquid 1.35 with Trinity and have been using it since. Really smooth and fast. Battery seems good thus far. Really enjoying it.

Coming from N1 as a ROM whore, so to speak, I'm sure I'll end up trying every which one.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
Hey redrum! Nice seeing you here!

I'm not much for changing ROMs on this phone yet since I don't feel there aren't many worth using. I'd like something more reliable than a nightly. I think you remember I did say many times I am no fan of nightlies when I had the N1 :p

The best combo I've tried so far is either LiquidSmooth plus Leankernel or CM9 + franco (or stock cm) kernel. I don't think AOKP is all that fast.

Right now, though, I run stock everything besides CWM. Still unlocked bootloader and rooted, though. Gosh, I miss 4EXT recovery :p

Reactions: uoY_redruM

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
Ive had mine for a month now and have been running cm 9 the whole time......mainly used franco....which was great...tried glados which didnt like my phone much.....switched to trinity recently....clear winner is trinity...for me. Easily the best performer.....and battery life has been better so far

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

The Nexus Project

Jan 24, 2012
Philadelphia
Best ROM/Kernel combos

ROMS: AOKP & GummyNex
Kernels: Lean Kernel & Franco Kernels
Silky smooth Buttery Blazin' Fastness
Tons of customization :cool:

Last edited:

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL

I'm not much for changing ROMs on this phone yet since I don't feel there aren't many worth using. I'd like something more reliable than a nightly. I think you remember I did say many times I am no fan of nightlies when I had the N1 :p

The best combo I've tried so far is either LiquidSmooth plus Leankernel or CM9 + franco (or stock cm) kernel. I don't think AOKP is all that fast.

Right now, though, I run stock everything besides CWM. Still unlocked bootloader and rooted, though. Gosh, I miss 4EXT recovery :p

Hey, good to see you here as well!

Yeah, so far I'm highly enjoying Liquid with Trinity. I was going to run stock with Trinity but I just couldn't resist lol.

I'm hoping Max brings 4EXT Touch to the GNexus as well. I posted in his thread in the N1 section. Would love that recovery here.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We need a rule for 'best rom/kernel' posts. There is no such thing and there never will be.

Literally like asking, "whose the best comedian?" or "What's the best type of fruit?"

Its all subjective. Just read the description of each rom/kernel and determine which one is the best for your personal needs.

It's pretty to switch up rom/kernel combinations, especially when you first get your phone.
    Stock ftw.

teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency. and less threads on xda.