[Q] Help unbrick AMLogic aml8726-mx tablet

Search This thread

Futaba0rus

Aug 10, 2010
Hi, i want some help with unbricking an aml8726-mx tablet. It's Prestigio Multipad Prime Duo, 7" 1024x600 tablet with 16gb internal storage and micro-sd card slot. It has only Power and + - volume buttons.

I've bricked it by flashing official firmware with default recovery. Entered recovery, made wipe, than installed update.zip from sd card. Progress bar started to move, indicating what process is on the way. And than in about 20%(no real percentage was in that recovery) tablet first freezed and than turned off. From this point there was no reaction on buttons, no display(even no backlight) - nothing. Connecting it to PC made the power on light flashing every 1 second(i guess). No device found by PC. I've tried turning on with - and + pressed, with both, without pressing anything - no luck.

So it was deep brick. Later i have found some info about 5th and 6th pins on NAND chip inside tablet, if those pins are connected to each other, after turning on tablet will be discovered by PC as M6 device. That worked! After hours dancing around AML usb flashing tool i was able to boot some uboot on tablet, started some recovery(not on the screen, it's still black as night), connect to recovery with ADB and trying to flash BOOT, BOOTLOADER and RECOVERY.

What i've tried:
1)adb push boot.img, boot loader.img and recovery.img i get from official firmware for this tablet

2)to make sure what my files now exists on tablet. I've pushed them to /cache/ so
Code:
#cd /cache/
#ls
and ls told me what my .img files are there

3)tried to flash
Code:
#flash_image boot /cache/boot.img

#flash_image bootloader /cache/bootloader.img

#flash_image recovery /cache/recovery.img

And here is a problem - each of those command gave me that:
error scanning partitions exit with code -1

I can't flash bootloaders and recovery. I've googled for days and still dont get it - why that "partition scaning" errors and what should i try.

If anyone can help me with that, or is there some different method of flashing it - i will be highly appreciated. I've used this tablet for less than a week and now it's totally bricked what i can't bring it back to life.

focus1400

Oct 5, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S9
droidtv mx

Here is an almost-idiot proof ROM install and UNBRICK method instruction for AML8726-MX (M6) Android TV Box (1gb / 8gb dual core):

Also known as:
G18REF
DROIDBOX iMX6
DROIDTV MX
MX2REF
MATRICOM G-BOX MX2
or any generic Android MX Media Box with same hardware, AML8726MX 1G/8G set top box
HD18 V2.2
HD18 V2.21
HD18 V2.22

I created an easy-install SD Card image from this ROM: Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2 v1.1.5+ (ROM DATE = 9th of August 2013)

The ROM was used for creating the special install SD card.

It is very simple to install, just insert a 4gb or larger SD CARD into Windows PC and use this program to set up the card:

DOWNLOAD THIS:
http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/HDDRawCopy1.02Portable.exe

Then use the extracted sd card image file as a source and set a target to your sd card (4 gb), it writes the image, close the HDD RAW COPY program and eject the card (SAFELY - choose eject from PC, right click menu + eject).

DOWNLOAD THIS:
FILE: Matricom Midnight G-BOX MX2 v1.1.5+ image (August 9th, 2013)

WARNING: THIS METHOD WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR MX BOX AND INSTALL A NEW ROM. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

As an added BONUS this will UNBRICK your device in case it is bricked.

Matricom image (Android 4.2.2): OTA works for XBMC etc
- Make sure MX device is powered off and power cable removed.
- Insert SD card you just created.
- Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (it is the AV hole in the back)
- Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
- It will boot to recovery and start installing ROM.
- After finishing it will give 2 errors - these do not matter.
- Remove power cable and insert it again, the device will boot as MATRICOM MIDNIGHT G-BOX MX2

This is how the board looks from inside: (NO NEED TO OPEN FOR INSTALLING)

DSC_0043_zpsf2910fda.jpg

hi thanks for the advice but after install and reboot nothing but the android logo on screen any suggestion would be gratefull thanks for your rom anyway
regards
dave

BenniBenassi

It does not work, nothing happens when holding reset with inserted memory card and pluggin power cable.

I am using droid tv mx:(

Then you are doing something wrong.

It works when done the right way.

Read my instructions and do exactly as they say.

If you want my help, then describe exactly what you did, EXACTLY (LIKE.... EXACTLY)

Example how I want the answer:

1) Downloaded the rar file
2) Extracted the rar file
3) Burned the extracted .imgc file with the HDD raw writer to the SD card
4) etc etc ...

If you write "I did everything as you said" or "i just dunno" then its game over from my side, I will not bother to reply.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2012
Then you are doing something wrong.

It works when done the right way.

Read my instructions and do exactly as they say.

If you want my help, then describe exactly what you did, EXACTLY (LIKE.... EXACTLY)

Example how I want the answer:

3) Burned the extracted .imgc file with the HDD raw writer to the SD card
4) etc etc ...

If you write "I did everything as you said" or "i just dunno" then its game over from my side, I will not bother to reply.

So, what i did was,

3) Burned the extracted .img file with the HDD raw writer to the SD card 32GB
4) Once it burnt image on SD card, safely removed SD card
5) Plugged in the SD card in mx android tv
6) Plugged HDMI cable
7) Held reset button through the AV outlet using a toothpick.
8) While holding reset button, plugged in the power cable.
9) And waited, waited, waited, no change, nothing on the screen.

There is a red light that always comes on as soon I plug in the power cable step 8, therefore, my last post stated that there is nothing changing.

Previously, I was using a source (home theater) to connect mx android tv. Once it has stopped working, I tried these steps with source and also directly connected with TV.

Please do let me know if i did something wrong here.:rolleyes:

Thanks

pinktheater

Same thing is happening to me but i did something different lately.

On step 8 hold the button for 1 minute, then release and leave it doing the job.

After 15 minutes or so go check the screen. I am now seeing the android thingy doing something but it's been there for about 30 minutes.

I assume it's flashing but i can't confirm it. I'll leave it there to see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pinktheater

I don't get it.

Your steps on the OP says that you need to have the box turned off, plug the SD card, then put the toothpick in the AV and plug the power back.

At what point will you connect, disconnect, connect the power?

I'm able to get something on the screen but is this:

y2mh.jpg

I left it there like for 2 hours, but nothing happened.

Last edited:

BenniBenassi

I don't get it.

Your steps on the OP says that you need to have the box turned off, plug the SD card, then put the toothpick in the AV and plug the power back.

At what point will you connect, disconnect, connect the power?

I'm able to get something on the screen but is this:

y2mh.jpg

I left it there like for 2 hours, but nothing happened.

Strange. Are you sure you have the same version of the box? Only 1 way to make sure, open up the box and take a picture and post here.

ANSWER: You pull the plug ater the install process is finished and you receive 2 errors. This occurs when you have returned to the Android Recovery screen. There is a menu ....

pinktheater

Strange. Are you sure you have the same version of the box? Only 1 way to make sure, open up the box and take a picture and post here.

ANSWER: You pull the plug ater the install process is finished and you receive 2 errors. This occurs when you have returned to the Android Recovery screen. There is a menu ....

Got it! Well i'm going to try one last resort. Someone posted me a boot recovery procedure to turn the box back to life too.

I don't know what else to do. I get to the point where it starts flashing, but then nothing else happens. It shouldn't make a difference if I use an SD or a micro SD with an SD adapter, does it?

marczydlo

Jan 23, 2014
my problem

have some problem android tv box dual core board HD 18 v2.2 g18 ref
when I try to update w/matricom 114 version ,get stuck on secend screen (first matricom ,secend g-box)
was no way to flash it w any way back. trying midnight recovery sd card (looks like no diff. when I press hiden buttom or no)
then something I press or .... screen show completely diff. thing small robot start moving and after restart system start, but remonte contrl do not work and I see in setting abaut box: wtk tv stick,(using mouse)
android version 4.1.3,nothing abaut processor
when I restart it ,screen get stuck at big yellow android w/ no system starting
trying to flash w/ image sd card like you -but looks like is no diff. when I press or not the hiden reset buttom
any idea? bricked?
Marek

far2gud

Jan 17, 2011
board and box outside

Here is an almost-idiot proof ROM install and UNBRICK method instruction for AML8726-MX (M6) Android TV Box (1gb / 8gb dual core):

Also known as:
G18REF
DROIDBOX iMX6
DROIDTV MX
MX2REF
MATRICOM G-BOX MX2
or any generic Android MX Media Box with same hardware, AML8726MX 1G/8G set top box
HD18 V2.2
HD18 V2.21
HD18 V2.22

I created an easy-install SD Card image from this ROM: Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2 v1.1.5+ (ROM DATE = 9th of August 2013)

It is very simple to install, just insert a 4gb or larger SD CARD into Windows PC and use this program to set up the card:

DOWNLOAD THIS:

Then use the extracted sd card image file as a source and set a target to your sd card (4 gb), it writes the image, close the HDD RAW COPY program and eject the card (SAFELY - choose eject from PC, right click menu + eject).

DOWNLOAD THIS:

WARNING: THIS METHOD WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR MX BOX AND INSTALL A NEW ROM. USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

- Insert a match or a toothpick to reset hole - you will feel a click. (it is the AV hole in the back)
- Power on the MX box by inserting power cable, while holding the match in the reset hole.
- Remove power cable and insert it again, the device will boot as MATRICOM MIDNIGHT G-BOX MX2

DSC_0043_zpsf2910fda.jpg

Hi Benni,

Would you have an alternative link for the August firmware, the MEGA link keeps failing for me. Have tried multiple browsers, computers etc. Or can I just use the one off the gbox site? I have a clone box

Cheers

Last edited:

BenniBenassi

Hi Benni,

Would you have an alternative link for the August firmware, the MEGA link keeps failing for me. Have tried multiple browsers, computers etc. Or can I just use the one off the gbox site? I have a clone box

Cheers

I do not have an alternate link. I'd have to upload to Mediafire. I will do when have time, cannot give any schedule for this.

gbox site does not have this sdcard link available. This is made by me.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

have some problem android tv box dual core board HD 18 v2.2 g18 ref
when I try to update w/matricom 114 version ,get stuck on secend screen (first matricom ,secend g-box)
was no way to flash it w any way back. trying midnight recovery sd card (looks like no diff. when I press hiden buttom or no)
then something I press or .... screen show completely diff. thing small robot start moving and after restart system start, but remonte contrl do not work and I see in setting abaut box: wtk tv stick,(using mouse)
android version 4.1.3,nothing abaut processor
when I restart it ,screen get stuck at big yellow android w/ no system starting
trying to flash w/ image sd card like you -but looks like is no diff. when I press or not the hiden reset buttom
any idea? bricked?
Marek

You may have managed to brick your box.

It saddens me when people are doing things they should not do.

If you have no idea what you are doing then please do not.

What happened, is that you did THIS THING to your nice MX box.

I have no solution for you.

Apostleuk

Feb 20, 2014
How do I edit the rom

I do not have an alternate link. I'd have to upload to Mediafire. I will do when have time, cannot give any schedule for this.

gbox site does not have this sdcard link available. This is made by me.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

You may have managed to brick your box.

It saddens me when people are doing things they should not do.

If you have no idea what you are doing then please do not.

What happened, is that you did THIS THING to your nice MX box.

I have no solution for you.

What tool do i need to edit my Amgloic 8726-MX Rom. I want to install my own xbmc.apx i have made into it.
So when I do a fresh install everything is there all done.
Thank you in advance

BenniBenassi

What tool do i need to edit my Amgloic 8726-MX Rom. I want to install my own xbmc.apx i have made into it.
So when I do a fresh install everything is there all done.
Thank you in advance

I know Android system uses ,apk files, I never heard of apx files. I do not know how to help you.

But usually people use Android Kitchen to build Roms.

If I were you, I'd go for Android Kitchen. They have a thread in XDA, do a search....

MrCeez

I tried to reset my box. Using Native linux by croniccorey. It was working fine then stated playing up freezing etc. So I decided to re flash. It kept my userdata. I tried to reset my user data and cache but it kept freezing during the process. I created a sdcard image to unbrick. It starts then stops a 1/4 way through. I just want to do a fresh install. Any help will be appreciated.
nyjyty2u.jpg

Wallace4793

Mar 10, 2014
Hi,

I've tried the install method but I'm stuck. I've created the sd card as per the instructions and can see the contents on the card however when I boot with the reset pin I get to the android recovery page with a number of manual options such as reflash from ext etc. the automatic flash does not start.

What have I done wrong?

Russell_S

Feb 24, 2013
Portsmouth
I tried to reset my box. Using Native linux by croniccorey. It was working fine then stated playing up freezing etc. So I decided to re flash. It kept my userdata. I tried to reset my user data and cache but it kept freezing during the process. I created a sdcard image to unbrick. It starts then stops a 1/4 way through. I just want to do a fresh install. Any help will be appreciated.
nyjyty2u.jpg

When I 'updated' my box with the 1.1.5 firmware SD card image it appeared to stop about 1/4 way through as you said but just at the point I was thinking of giving up and pulling the power it suddenly jumped up to 3/4 and then completed. So I would suggest leave it running for 15 minutes or so. Go and make a cup of tea/coffee and by the time you get back it will probably have finished.

Reactions: BenniBenassi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN DO NOT DO IT.

1) THE PROCESS IS ENTIRELY AUTOMATED.
    2) NO NEED TO MANUALLY INSTALL ANYTHING ONCE THE PROCESS IS STARTED.
    3) THE 2 ERRORS COMING AT THE END OF THE RECOVERY PROCESS ARE PART OF THE PROCESS.

AN IMPORTANT REMINDER:

If you can not follow the instructions correctly or you do not understand them, ASK BEFOREHAND on the FORUM and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PERFORM THE RECOVERY.

Under no circumstances should you do any manual installation of any of the files located on the recovery sd card.

The result may be a permanently bricked box with no way to recover.

If you manage to brick your box, it is your fault entirely. I did the recovery image for myself and decided to share it with community. Use at your own reponsibility.

Also known as:
    G18REF
    DROIDBOX iMX6
    DROIDTV MX
    MX2REF
    MATRICOM G-BOX MX2
    HD18 V2.2
    HD18 V2.21
    HD18 V2.22

DOWNLOAD THIS:

DOWNLOAD THIS:

DSC_0043_zpsf2910fda.jpg
    Hello, can you tell us what kind off special SD card?
    Thanks

Yes I can.

It is a Generic MX Droid-TV (AML8726-MX G18REF) box, now with AndroidGadget ROM.

I used this program below to create a special SD card (with a new image), which booted and fixed my box, with AndroidGadget ROM.

FILE: DD
    FILE: IMAGE
    FILE: ROM (pw: androidgadget.co.uk)

The DD program used to create the special bootable SD only works under Win XP (Under VMware is also OK)

I hope it will be of help.

If anyone makes a kernel for this that supports CWM, CPU speed mod and CyanogenMod, I'd be grateful :)
    I unbricked my android tv box, AML8726-MX g18ref box with a special sd card. I had similar problem....

Sent from my ST18i using xda app-developers app
    Thanks for this

Question, I thought Matricom prevented loading their firmware on non Matricom boxes, will this definitely work on a DroidTV MX?

Thanks

IF IT IS one of these and the board looks like the one on the picture:

G18REF
    MX2REF
    GENERIC MX MEDIA BOX
    HD18 V2.2
    HD18 V2.21

Make sure you check it is the correct hardware.
    Don't forget to back up anything you need from it, since this will format everything and install a new rom.

ANSWER IS: YES

This is a special AMLogic Boot SD card image and YES it works.

This is how the MX box looks like:

MX Android 4.2.2 TV Box XBMC Amgloic 8726-MX Dual Core Unboxing

Must be an idiot. I can't get the card to flash without an error writing after it says 100. If I try it the box boots into recovery but nothing flashes to the box.. I've tried 2 different sd cards

Your box is not the correct hardware for this ROM.

It is not for other hardware than mentioned in my OP.