NANDroid backup

Search This thread

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Samsung is bml... the kernel is compiled into a zImage

Aosp,(and sense, not sure about motoblur but who fuggin cares about motorola)is mtd and it's kernel is compiled into a boot.img if I'm not mistaken. And since that's the norm it's what cwm supports, so it does back up kernels...just not zImages.

romelie

Mar 4, 2012
Umm im a bit confused if i have two identical phones both on stock roms (but different ones) and i back up the first one could i restore that back up to the second phone using cwm without any issues ?

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
How different are the stock roms?

I huge difference like a jump in Android version (2.2 to 2.3.x for example) will not work as the stock kernel isn't backed up, not to mention the need for proper bootloaders if going up to gb the first time

But if it were a small difference say Kb1 and kb2 (both froyo builds) then that should work fine cause the stock kernel doesn't change too much between builds, although some of those early gingerbread leaks were awfully kernel picky

Last edited:

ehknaton

Dec 9, 2011
Hi, I have a nandroidbackup made using CWM 5.0.2.7. And I want to restore it. Now I have CyanogenMod7 and I have Clockworkmod 5.0.0.6.
So I copied the nandroidbackup from external_sd to internal_sd, and now when it shows up in my restore menu.

Is there any problem that the backup was made with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.7 and I restore it with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.6 ?

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Hi, I have a nandroidbackup made using CWM 5.0.2.7. And I want to restore it. Now I have CyanogenMod7 and I have Clockworkmod 5.0.0.6.
So I copied the nandroidbackup from external_sd to internal_sd, and now when it shows up in my restore menu.

Is there any problem that the backup was made with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.7 and I restore it with Clockworkmod 5.0.2.6 ?

I wouldn't even care what the version is. At all

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Say you back up your current ROM, then flash another. You can't just restore ROM A onto ROM b. You have to flash back to ROM A and THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed ROM b. All of you settings and everything will be intact.

Efs is totally different, that is a partition that contains your phones individual data, it's imei which you have to manually backup it's not included in a nandroid.
    Kindly clarify this please, i want to backup my stock rom before going custom.
    So inorder to do a complete backup, we need to do a nandroid backup and also backup imei separately?? and then restore both of them when i flash back to stock??

They are two separate issues, really, but you are correct that you should back up both.

Nandroid lets you go back to a previous state, as long as you flash back to the correct ROM before you restore it. It will not let you restore data to your new installation, though. If you want to restore your applications in your new ROM, you can download Titanium Backup from the market which will let you batch save your applications now and restore them on your new ROM (It can also save and restore system data, but don't restore system data between ROMs, it causes all sorts of weird issues).

Backing up your EFS folder is something you should do, but hopefully will never have to restore. Your EFS folder contains information about your phone and should never actually get touched in any way when flashing ROMs. However, things go wrong and sometimes this folder ends up getting corrupted for whatever reason, which can lead to a corrupt IMEI code and no service. If this were to happen, you would restore you EFS from backup. I think it's safe to say most of us have never had to actually do this, but better safe than sorry. You can do a search for backing it up and find several threads about it.

Happy flashing!
    its making a complete backup of ur current rom settings,apps and all. with i897 gingerbread roms i dont think u can restore a nandroid backup. but u would normally do a backup in recovery with cwm.
    yes, nandroid on i897 ginger roms do not work.

but the procedure would be to make a backup. then if you flash a different rom from what the backup was made from you would have to flash the rom back that was backed up THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed away from that rom.

DO NOT EVER restore a nandroid to a set up it was not backed up on, it will bootloop.
    See this thread in the Development Forum for Corn Kernel... It has a working nandroid. BTW, that kernel is for i897 Gingerbread Roms.