More GPS info please

Search This thread

Pubnum

Jan 21, 2012
Yes, this has been pointed out about the aluminum back. But as mentioned we all have the same aluminum back then ...

WHY are some Primes always able to see and get a GPS fix.

Why is ASUS even bothering with updating the GPS driver if GPS in not in the spec's?.

WHY has someone not show GPS results with the aluminum back off?

Off topic WIFI why the frack would I want to use G setting to get good WIFI? That's like not using my 5th gear in the car and staying in 4th.

I love the Prime but the aluminum back shield is a frack up period. Stock seems to have dried up around here (impossible to get). I wonder what's up.

These issues have been debated time and time again for the last month. There is absolutely nothing offered in this thread that isn't offered elsewhere (including opinions).

YoMarK

Sep 15, 2007
look at my youtube video... it was honey comb and nearly perfect...

with new updated ics its worthless... :mad:
Its not nearly perfect. There isn't a single satellite with a green/good(SNR) connection, so it would probably lose connection/lock the instant you get in your car, and/or actually move under a tree for example.

Using the Prime as a good GPS device will never really work well, even in ideal circumstances assuming driver/updates were all fine. The above video is about as good as it will ever get with the onboard GPS.

There are several alternatives however:
1) "GPS tether" with your Android phone(free app in Android Market).
2) Buy a cheap blue tooth GPS reveiver, this will result in GPS reception better then every tablet on the Market.
3) Use a better suited GPS device (for example a Smart phone...sorry personal preference)
4) Sell/return the Prime, and buy another android tablet with better GPS. Of course they suck for other things except GPS, but apparently at the moment, you can't have it all.
5) Return it, wait 6 months, and buy the TF700 with it's ugly-as-hell backplate, but probably well-working GPS.

Last edited:

black-DraGon82

Oct 8, 2008
hi YoMarK,
gps tether sounds interesting... have a sgs2 and i want to try that... i´ve donwloaded gps tether but don´t know how to configure the devices... could you plz explain how to do that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

There isn't a single Transformer Prime on this planet where GPS works great.

So It is what it is: the metal design is beautiful, but it restricts GPS signals. And as there is no real a-GPS for Wifi tablets(as they have no cell-site triangulation possibilities), this becomes a real and unsolvable problem.
    And Asus DOES has a clue, according to Asus there is no GPS on the Transformer Prime. The same as there is no GPS on other Wifi tablets like the iPad's. Asus made a big mistake advertising with GPS before release though.

So if you really want to use GPS on the Prime, you're out of luck and should return it. A full refund would be fair if you bought it early.