New Straight Talk APN for BYOP - if data quits working

Search This thread

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
Well it depends, are you porting your number or are you getting a new number from them? When I activated my straight talk sim card, I got a new number and was up in running in minutes, if not instantly.

Same here, only took a few minutes.
@Stackman1, if you're referring to APN issues you can always try some other settings floating around. Some of these work differently for people.

Stackman1

Apr 7, 2012
I am porting my existing phone number over from ATT. But it only took minutes when I bought my S2 and went from VZ to ATT.

Stackman1

Apr 7, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it then, AT&T is probably holding things up. I don't see why though, considering it's att to an att mvno. My guess is that it'll be complete by tomorrow.

Still not working this morning. Called them. The port got denied. I have a 954 area code - Southern Florida. That number got established with Verizon on a Motorola Razr - who knows how long ago? I subsequently, moved to Pittsburgh and bought my Galaxy SII at Costco. Had to switch to ATT. That is my BYOP device. When I called yesterday the guy asked me where I was going to use it. Nothing else. When I gave him my current Zip Code - it didn't match the originating Zip Code. No kidding.....the light bulb went on....

Here is my takeaway - always provide the Zip Code that you had - when you first established your "number".

In theory - am I correct in thinking that my ST ATT Sim gets the same priority as my old ATT Sim. Guess I will see.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

yobosimn

Feb 20, 2011
La Salle, Minnesota
Still not working this morning. Called them. The port got denied. I have a 954 area code - Southern Florida. That number got established with Verizon on a Motorola Razr - who knows how long ago? I subsequently, moved to Pittsburgh and bought my Galaxy SII at Costco. Had to switch to ATT. That is my BYOP device. When I called yesterday the guy asked me where I was going to use it. Nothing else. When I gave him my current Zip Code - it didn't match the originating Zip Code. No kidding.....the light bulb went on....

Here is my takeaway - always provide the Zip Code that you had - when you first established your "number".

In theory - am I correct in thinking that my ST ATT Sim gets the same priority as my old ATT Sim. Guess I will see.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm not really sure to be honest. Calls and data connections seem the same as they did on AT&T for me though. One somewhat important note, you can roam onto "roaming" towers in areas where AT&T isn't available but other "roaming" towers are, but you want have data on those roaming towers. At least that's been my experience while roaming.

Another note, they seem to be really good at throttling me the moment I pass 2.5 gigs of usage each month. They are equally good at restoring full speeds the moment a new service card is used.

Final note, their regular customer service department is horrible for anything but the most basic needs/problems. If you or anyone reading this ever has a problem that the regular support isn't addressing, pm me and let me know, I'll give you their corporate office phone number. They are far more helpful at resolving problems. You can also try filing a complaint against them with the BBB if needed to get them to address the issue. Last year they were awful with their data usage policy and I ended up throttled for 3 months for no apparent reason. Filing the complaint with the BBB got their corporate office to reach out to me and resolve the issue. Luckily they have gotten a lot better with their policies since then.

Hope you found this info handy :p

philliboy

Jan 3, 2014
Fairly easy for me

I thought it would be harder than it was to set up a phone with straight talk BYOD plan, but nope. I set up one for me and my mom. She was already on ST with a terrible Sprint phone, so i got her a LTE phone and it took me less than 10 minutes to switch her service to an AT&T Sim from ST.

Then i did mine and it also took less than 10 minutes.

Here's a screenshot of my LTE speeds on S AT&T LTE I like that it actually says AT&T at the top as well instead of straight talk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-23-02-16-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-23-02-16-10.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 324

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Straight Talk's website now tells you the apn setting you should be using, to do this visit the link at the bottom of this post and follow the directions. The apn settings in this post should be the settings all new users are assigned, checking the link would tell you for sure though.

Just a heads up, if you're using Straight Talk's BYOP sim card and your data quit working, you may have been transitioned to new apn settings. I read about it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2310215 in the Nexus 4 forums.

It seems users there lost all mobile data connectivity after their service renewed. The new apn settings seemed to have restored their data connectivity. I suggest making a second apn setting on your phone with the new settings I've posted below. The reason why I suggest a second apn is so you can easily switch between apns if you lose data connectivity on the new apn, I see it as an easy troubleshooting step down the road.

Here is the new apn

Name: Straight Talk

APN: tfdata

Port: 80

MMSC: http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port: 80

Straight Talk now let's you type in your phone number on their website to look up which apn settings you should be using, it can be found here
    http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/support/apn#.UwhwZHVdX8s

I hope somebody finds this useful and hopefully doesn't cause confusion.
    That is not true, On New LTE card. I have a older SIm card I purchased 6 months ago. I get LTE with that card and never had to buy the new "LTE" Sim.

You may get faster speeds, but you're not getting true LTE, because our device simply doesn't have the necessary hardware.

But I'm glad you're getting better speed, I agree with trevor, please share your setup!
    Here are my settings for the SGH_S959G

Name: StraightTalk
    APN: wap.tracfone
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: mms2.tracfone.com
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    APN type: default,supl,mms
    Just a heads up, if you're using Straight Talk's BYOP sim card and your data quit working, you may have been transitioned to new apn settings. I read about it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2310215 in the Nexus 4 forums.

It seems users there lost all mobile data connectivity after their service renewed. The new apn settings seemed to have restored their data connectivity. I suggest making a second apn setting on your phone with the new settings I've posted below. The reason why I suggest a second apn is so you can easily switch between apns if you lose data connectivity on the new apn, I see it as an easy troubleshooting step down the road.

Here is the new apn

Name: Straight Talk

APN: tfdata

Port: 80

MMSC: http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com

The new APN settings can also be viewed on Straight Talk's website here:
    http://straighttalksim.com/support-data.php#

I hope somebody finds this useful and hopefully doesn't cause confusion.

The Above Settings are for CDMA I suspect.

The OLD Settings BELOW work on my GSM SGH2 I777.

This APN works for GSM,

NAME straight talk
    APN att.mvno
    PROXY proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    PORT 80
    MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS PROXY 66.209.11.33
    MMS PORT 80

Hope this helps! :cool:
    Do you all get LTE or 4G on straight talk network>>>??

You can not get LTE without the hardware. The SGH-I777 and the SGH-S959G are not LTE capable.