All credit for these apps goes to @viper520
. Shoutout to @zhuhang
for maintaining the thread here on xda and creating some NICE
impulse response samples,
I've been using ViPER4Android (V4A) for all my recent devices including the Droid DNA, S3, and the S4. So, naturally, I needed to get it on my Note 3 ASAP. There's two apps as part of this sound mod, but one is optional. The main app is called ViPER4Android FX. The current version is 184.108.40.206 and is compatible with stock rooted VZN Note 3. I use the optional app, ViPER4Android XHiFi, for superior bass and treble adjustment.
The newer versions of V4A allow for both system and user installations, but I've always installed it as a system app to ensure that it works 100% of the time (including watching movies with MX Player, YouTube, streaming with Google Play Music, etc.) So, my N3 installation instructions are as follows (note: your device MUST be rooted
1) Download the app(s) from the original xda thread
. Extract the 4.x versions of the apks from the .zip files.
2) Push both apks to system\app. Reboot so permissions get automatically fixed or manually change to rw-r-r-. (First screenie using Root Explorer).
3) Launch each app separately. Grant root access to each of them to install their drivers. They'll both prompt you to install drivers on first launch. FX will automatically detect and install the proper driver, XHiFi is being phased out and you must manually choose the bottom option. Reboot so it fixes automatically fixes the permissions of the newly installed drivers.
4) After reboot, immediately go to settings\sound\music effects and choose ViPER4Android FX as the default sound processor (second screenie).
5) Open up /system/build.prop in text editor using any file explorer with root access. Change these lines (the bottom two apply to the VZN N3):
Ipa.decode=true to lpa.decode=false
tunnel.decode=true to tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=true to lpa.use-stagefright=false
6) Plug your headphones and start your favorite music app. Start up FX and enable it at the top and then check the driver status. If everything says you're processing, you're good to go. Enjoy the BEST sound on Android
This is my tried and true installation. You can see from screenies 3 and 4 that it's definitely work on my N3. I'm not sure if installing it as a user app (just clicking the FX apk) will work or not as I didn't even try it. YMMV.