[Q] Can't hear callers, they can't hear me

Search This thread

dv310p3r

Feb 14, 2014
T-Mobile S4.

It started out of no where. When I get calls, the caller can't hear me, and I can't hear them. The weird part is that after a clean flash it will usually work for a little while. But after a few hours, the issue returns.

At first I thought it was a Cyanogenmod issue, but the issue also happens in TouchWiz.

Wi-Fi Calling works fine. Data works fine (i can surf the net, etc...). It's just calls.

There was a period for about a day where when someone would call me and I would answer it would make this loud tone to the person who was calling. That doesn't happen anymore though.

Please any help would be amazing.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
It sounds like either hardware issue or a T-Mobile network quality issue. If you've changed ROMs next thing to do is go completely stock and see if it still happens. If so, show it to a T-Mobile representative at the store.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dv310p3r

Feb 14, 2014
I'd like to add also, that the mic works as I can do voice searches and record sound.

Also, I have flashed back to stock, in Download mode, the KNOX reads 0x0 so I should be able to return right?

I'd rather not. I love my phone.

reverez

Jan 6, 2014
Hi there, I've had the same problem but with my S3, as have a few others.

First the good news for you - this problem has actually been discussed in detail, but with regard to S3's. The forum you need to read is:

'> Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305 > Galaxy S III Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting > No sound during calls (samsung galaxy s3 problem)'

(Sorry I'm not sure how to add shortcuts)....

Now some bad news - if the syptoms are that all sound works fine EXCEPT neither end can hear anything during a STANDARD phone call (i.e Skype/Viber etc work fine); and perhaps a dropoff of signal after about 30secs into the call - then this is not a software problem, you've got a hardware problem. There is a chip on the motherboard which is not connecting properly. Changing ROMs won't help I'm afraid.

However some more good news for you - there are a couple of fixes for this. I'm not sure if the S4 is the same layout as the S3, but in the S3 you can fix it by putting downward pressure on the chip by placing a small piece of credit card on top of it (there's a metal bracket above it which you then press down) - it's a pretty simple process, just make sure that when prying the metal plate off you unplug the connector first.

The other fix is to reflow the chip (apparently you heat it up with a heatgun to melt the solder underneath, causing it to refix itself to the motherboard), but this is a bit more risky (and I haven't tried it yet, my S3 seems to still be working with the credit card fix)

If you read through the forum, you'll see some good information, but I'd start reading from post 132 onwards (there's a lot of unnecesessary chatter prior to that).

Good luck!

Reactions: mdiaz33685

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there, I've had the same problem but with my S3, as have a few others.

First the good news for you - this problem has actually been discussed in detail, but with regard to S3's. The forum you need to read is:

'> Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, I9305 > Galaxy S III Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting > No sound during calls (samsung galaxy s3 problem)'

(Sorry I'm not sure how to add shortcuts)....

Now some bad news - if the syptoms are that all sound works fine EXCEPT neither end can hear anything during a STANDARD phone call (i.e Skype/Viber etc work fine); and perhaps a dropoff of signal after about 30secs into the call - then this is not a software problem, you've got a hardware problem. There is a chip on the motherboard which is not connecting properly. Changing ROMs won't help I'm afraid.

However some more good news for you - there are a couple of fixes for this. I'm not sure if the S4 is the same layout as the S3, but in the S3 you can fix it by putting downward pressure on the chip by placing a small piece of credit card on top of it (there's a metal bracket above it which you then press down) - it's a pretty simple process, just make sure that when prying the metal plate off you unplug the connector first.

The other fix is to reflow the chip (apparently you heat it up with a heatgun to melt the solder underneath, causing it to refix itself to the motherboard), but this is a bit more risky (and I haven't tried it yet, my S3 seems to still be working with the credit card fix)

If you read through the forum, you'll see some good information, but I'd start reading from post 132 onwards (there's a lot of unnecesessary chatter prior to that).

Good luck!