The Nexus 5 is 6 Months Old! Post pics of your phone!! (accessories, ideas, links)

Search This thread

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
RULES:

1) Name the version of your phone and when you bought it. If it’s Original, Replacement, RMA, Launch, etc. specify that as well. Ex: Black 32GB – October 31st, 2013 (Launch). This is just to see how long you've had your phone, and I guess bragging rights?? :p (I no longer can say I have a launch day phone... :()

2) Name ALL of the accessories you are currently sporting on your phone. Include brand (if applicable) and LINKS!! This is so that anyone else who likes the look of your phone and what you’ve done, can look it up themselves, or buy those accessories. We want to share ideas.

3) A Picture of the accessories on your phone! Preferably nothing too huge, 1920x1200 and below would be best. Just nice enough, and big enough to show off your look.

4) This is NOT a what is better than what thread, or which company is better than the other! NO arguments! This is just to show off what you've done with your phone and to discuss ideas. If you like what they've done, hit the thanks button. Don't bash people or their choices. Everyone has their own opinion and taste, respect that.

Well a few days ago the Nexus 5 hit the 6 month old mark. You know what that means… It’s old sauce now and completely outdated! You might as well get rid of it and buy something newer. It’s clearly too slow and can’t keep up with the new phones that have just launched/are coming out.

Of course, we know that’s not true at all!! This phone is still a damn beast and remains pretty close to being top of the line!

So, being 6 months old I’m sure many people have had a lot of time to personalize their phones. So why not show off what you’ve done with your phone? It’s a good way to keep an “aging” phone interesting, and it will help others here maybe get some new ideas of what they would like to put on their phones! It also gives me reason to post more pics!! :D

If you rock your phone naked, that’s cool too! If you want to show us a picture of your naked phone go for it. It would be nice to see how your phone has held up over the months with no protection at all!

We’re here to show the looks and give ideas. So give as much information as possible. Include the brand name if there is one, and where you bought it (a link please)!

Phone:

Red 32GB – February 28th, 2014 (Replacement of Launch Day phone with shattered screen)

Accessories:

Nillkin H+ Tempered Glass Screen Protector - http://www.amazon.com/Nilkin-Hardness-Tempered-Screen-Protectors/dp/B00GQOQKJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399348626&sr=8-1&keywords=nillkin+H%2B+nexus+5
Generic eBay Black Replica Nexus 4 Bumper for the Nexus 5 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-7-Colors-NEW-Metal-TPU-Frame-Bumper-Cover-Case-For-LG-Goole-Nexus-5-/360898185809?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item5407354a51
Black Titanium Skin from @dbrandSkins - https://dbrand.com/shop/nexus-5

Screen with Nillkin H+ Tempered Glass Screen Protector.
Lsosy6a.jpg

dbrand Black Titanium skin and Replica Nexus 4 Bumper.
bUc2qiK.jpg

Last edited:

timvdlinde

Aug 31, 2012
Nistelrode
WOOOOOOW:D my nillkin glass just got shipped, but where did you buy the nexus 4 replica bumper? Thanks a lot.

EDIT

I didn't see the links now I got them :$

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
man, that looks awesome! I wasn't jealous of the red n5 until now.

Thanks!

I actually bought the red phone just because I knew I was going to put skins on the back! :laugh: I wanted the letters to be red instead of black or white. Kind of weird to buy a red phone for just that reason alone, but I've been really happy with how everything turned out.

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
@Mmmbacon: Is that bumper really made out of metal? I would really want to try it if it is. Does it affect signal quality?

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
As metal as Samsung phones have metal borders, or PU Leather is to Leather. :laugh:

So does it affect signal quality? Not in the slightest.

Well, that's a bummer. I really wanted to try a metal bumper, but the only two options that I can find on ebay aren't exactly inspiring. The phone makes direct contact with the metal frame so it probably wears off the coating and affects signal quality. Something like the one you own, but with a metallic outer rim would be ideal.

On a different note, I can barely wait for my ringke fusion to arrive. Expect some drool worthy pictures of it along with some neon glowing skin if I can my get my hands on a friend's DSLR :D.

Reactions: mmmmBACON

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
@Mmmbacon: Is that bumper really made out of metal? I would really want to try it if it is. Does it affect signal quality?

It's mainly metal backs that cause signal issues. GPS and the like.
@Mmmbacon: I don't suppose you'd be able to share some more screenshots of that screen protector would you please? I'm interested but I dont feel I get a good idea of it compared to your shots (when searching the net)

Reactions: dmillerzx

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg

@Mmmbacon: I don't suppose you'd be able to share some more screenshots of that screen protector would you please? I'm interested but I dont feel I get a good idea of it compared to your shots (when searching the net)

Sure, no problem.

After taking these, I noticed that I didn't put the protector on completely centered! I can't unsee it now... It's only off by maybe half a mm or less, but still.

Anyway, these are as clear as I can get them without having an SLR. My 8 year old Canon Powershot was about to explode.

h1lHL1J.jpg

NUqqSjk.jpg

hNHZ5Q3.jpg

r1Amxow.jpg

o6mvQJ3.jpg

I

IvIaniac

Sure, no problem.

After taking these, I noticed that I didn't put the protector on completely centered! I can't unsee it now... It's only off by maybe half a mm or less, but still.

Anyway, these are as clear as I can get them without having an SLR. My 8 year old Canon Powershot was about to explode.

I've ordered a Nillkin H+ protector, too, based on the reviews on this forum, and I gotta say, it looks pretty awesome. How does it feel according your perspective?

I hope I can slap mine on half as accurately as you did!

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I've ordered a Nillkin H+ protector, too, based on the reviews on this forum, and I gotta say, it looks pretty awesome. How does it feel according your perspective?

I hope I can slap mine on half as accurately as you did!

It feels just like the normal screen. It's basically a second piece of gorilla glass with an oleophobic coating, slapped on top of the first one. :laugh: Just as smooth, just as responsive, and fingerprints wipe off just as easily. It's so much better than a plastic screen protector, well, because it's not plastic! You don't feel the difference because there really isn't a difference between this and the actual screen.

A tempered glass screen protector is basically a 3rd party version of gorilla glass that you can install yourself, without actually calling it "Gorilla Glass" which is just a marketing name. It's the same thing as Apple calling anything with a high resolution a "Retina Display".

Anyway, we'll see how long before the oleophobic coating wears off, but I've had the screen protector on the phone for over 2 months now and it still feels and cleans exactly the same as the day I put it on.

GTI6speed

Oct 19, 2013
Man that screen protector looks so good that I just bought one. I'll be coming over from the plastic protector world so I'm pretty stoked. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as Amazon told me it would to ship here either :silly:

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
It feels just like the normal screen. It's basically a second piece of gorilla glass with an oleophobic coating, slapped on top of the first one. :laugh: Just as smooth, just as responsive, and fingerprints wipe off just as easily. It's so much better than a plastic screen protector, well, because it's not plastic! You don't feel the difference because there really isn't a difference between this and the actual screen.

A tempered glass screen protector is basically a 3rd party version of gorilla glass that you can install yourself, without actually calling it "Gorilla Glass" which is just a marketing name. It's the same thing as Apple calling anything with a high resolution a "Retina Display".

Anyway, we'll see how long before the oleophobic coating wears off, but I've had the screen protector on the phone for over 2 months now and it still feels and cleans exactly the same as the day I put it on.

I've never tried a glass protector so I can't speak about it. You may be right about the fingerprint part, I don't know, but I do know that my amFilm plastic screen protector is smooth as silk. Maybe because of all the skin oils? :p Anyway, whatever floats yer boat.

I will be posting pics of all my stuff once it comes in, but I'll have to use my roommates phone to take the pics, since my Nexus is the only decent phone I have. I can't exactly take pics of my N5 with my N5. ;) Cheers, and happy 6 mo. anniversary Nexus 5.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Man that screen protector looks so good that I just bought one. I'll be coming over from the plastic protector world so I'm pretty stoked. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as Amazon told me it would to ship here either :silly:

You'll notice the difference, probably instantly.

I've never tried a glass protector so I can't speak about it. You may be right about the fingerprint part, I don't know, but I do know that my amFilm plastic screen protector is smooth as silk. Maybe because of all the skin oils? :p Anyway, whatever floats yer boat.

I will be posting pics of all my stuff once it comes in, but I'll have to use my roommates phone to take the pics, since my Nexus is the only decent phone I have. I can't exactly take pics of my N5 with my N5. ;) Cheers, and happy 6 mo. anniversary Nexus 5.

:laugh: You've lubed up your screen protector so much that it's nice and smooth!

The biggest reason I went with a glass screen protector was the drop protection. I wanted to avoid this from happening again (or at least drastically lower the likelihood)... I didn't know that the feel was going to be like a night and day difference compared to the plastic ones I've felt before. A tempered glass screen protector will protect much better from a face down drop, compared to a plastic one which won't protect at all. They are scratch protection only, not impact.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
You'll notice the difference, probably instantly.

:laugh: You've lubed up your screen protector so much that it's nice and smooth!

The biggest reason I went with a glass screen protector was the drop protection. I wanted to avoid this from happening again (or at least drastically lower the likelihood)... I didn't know that the feel was going to be like a night and day difference compared to the plastic ones I've felt before. A tempered glass screen protector will protect much better from a face down drop, compared to a plastic one which won't protect at all. They are scratch protection only, not impact.

I used to be a big case kind of user, but I just can't cover up my red N5. I just use the ringke crystal fusion (?) clear case. I like how the case is semi-tacky, and easy to hold. It has a little extra in the corners, and may protect from small drops. Haven't dropped my n5 yet, so I can't say if one case is better than another. But, I did see this case from Ballistic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballistic-G...t=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item51b9f69eed

I just wish the back of it was clear instead of all those "holes". A nice 1 piece snap on case that had some real corner protection, but still was clear, would be nice.

bofbaz

Apr 10, 2012
@mmmmBACON

Thanks for your review and thank you for the eBay link to the bumper. I've been searching for something like this for weeks! BUT WHICH COLOR?

So I've got a white 16GB N5 from February as because I RMA'd it because of the hissing issue in videos (didn't know that this is software related)
Original was bought on December...

Also, I've ordered an tempered glass film on Aliexpress:

0.3mm Explosion-proof Tempered Glass Film for Google Nexus 5 / E980
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-3m...-Film-for-Google-Nexus-5-E980/1728914566.html

It costs less than 9 USD so it's worth a try to see if the quality is good as described or not.

There's also an dbrand black titanium skin on the frame and on the back of my white N5. I'm waiting for coupons to replace it by white carbon on the back and matte white on the frame.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I used to be a big case kind of user, but I just can't cover up my red N5. I just use the ringke crystal fusion (?) clear case. I like how the case is semi-tacky, and easy to hold. It has a little extra in the corners, and may protect from small drops. Haven't dropped my n5 yet, so I can't say if one case is better than another. But, I did see this case from Ballistic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballistic-G...t=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item51b9f69eed

I just wish the back of it was clear instead of all those "holes". A nice 1 piece snap on case that had some real corner protection, but still was clear, would be nice.

Yeah I'm a fan of minimalism, which is why I used the quicksand hardcases. Since I wanted to use skins this time around, I switched to bumper cases. The phone still feels relatively small because of the thinness of not having a back. Though it is a bit wider and taller, but I didn't want to go completely naked, so of course that's the tradeoff.

Yeah, that ballistic case reminds me a little too much of the Samsung Bandaid S5 and a dog bone haha. :laugh: Probably fantastic for drop protection though.

@mmmmBACON

Thanks for your review and thank you for the eBay link to the bumper. I've been searching for something like this for weeks! BUT WHICH COLOR?

So I've got a white 16GB N5 from February as because I RMA'd it because of the hissing issue in videos (didn't know that this is software related)
Original was bought on December...

Also, I've ordered an tempered glass film on Aliexpress:

0.3mm Explosion-proof Tempered Glass Film for Google Nexus 5 / E980
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-3m...-Film-for-Google-Nexus-5-E980/1728914566.html

It costs less than 9 USD so it's worth a try to see the quality is good as described.

There's also an dbrand black titanium skin on the frame and on the back of my white N5. I'm waiting for coupons to replace it by white carbon on the back and matte white on the frame.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Yeah, there are a bunch of nice colours but I stuck with black for a couple of reasons.

Black tends to go with anything, it's a safe, neutral sort of colour. So even if you decide to change the skin on your phone to some crazy colours or patterns, it should still look good as it would be a nice black border. With the other bumpers (except maybe white which should also match nicely with everything) you have to try to match colours well or it might clash.

The other reason is that with most TPU cases (even though this is a harder TPU), if you choose something other than black, there is always the chance that it will stain or get dirty very easily. It usually ends up being hard to clean, or you can't clean the stains. With the black, you don't have to worry about it staining, or it doesn't show. I'm not sure if these ones will stain or not, but I just decided not to take the chance.

Also, once you get your glass screen protector you should tell us what you think and post some pictures in this thread. It would be good to see some other options out there and how they fit and look. I chose the Nillkin H+ because it was a highly rated screen protector for a very reasonable price. If there are other nice protectors out there at good prices, that's always a good thing. I don't believe tempered glass screen protectors are worth spending anything more than $10 - $15 on. The process of how they are made is pretty much the same, wherever you buy them, so there's no real point spending $40+ on a big brand when there are very good ones for 1/4 of the price.

Reactions: FapMaster784

kopower

Oct 26, 2011
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Bought my 32gb white N5 off of Swappa in late January. Had the Slickwraps black alligator leather skin on for about a month, before switching to the red carbon fiber. I'm using the lucency bumper case mmmbacon recommended, and love it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RULES:

1) Name the version of your phone and when you bought it. If it’s Original, Replacement, RMA, Launch, etc. specify that as well. Ex: Black 32GB – October 31st, 2013 (Launch). This is just to see how long you've had your phone, and I guess bragging rights?? :p (I no longer can say I have a launch day phone... :()

2) Name ALL of the accessories you are currently sporting on your phone. Include brand (if applicable) and LINKS!! This is so that anyone else who likes the look of your phone and what you’ve done, can look it up themselves, or buy those accessories. We want to share ideas.

3) A Picture of the accessories on your phone! Preferably nothing too huge, 1920x1200 and below would be best. Just nice enough, and big enough to show off your look.

4) This is NOT a what is better than what thread, or which company is better than the other! NO arguments! This is just to show off what you've done with your phone and to discuss ideas. If you like what they've done, hit the thanks button. Don't bash people or their choices. Everyone has their own opinion and taste, respect that.

Well a few days ago the Nexus 5 hit the 6 month old mark. You know what that means… It’s old sauce now and completely outdated! You might as well get rid of it and buy something newer. It’s clearly too slow and can’t keep up with the new phones that have just launched/are coming out.

Of course, we know that’s not true at all!! This phone is still a damn beast and remains pretty close to being top of the line!

So, being 6 months old I’m sure many people have had a lot of time to personalize their phones. So why not show off what you’ve done with your phone? It’s a good way to keep an “aging” phone interesting, and it will help others here maybe get some new ideas of what they would like to put on their phones! It also gives me reason to post more pics!! :D

If you rock your phone naked, that’s cool too! If you want to show us a picture of your naked phone go for it. It would be nice to see how your phone has held up over the months with no protection at all!

We’re here to show the looks and give ideas. So give as much information as possible. Include the brand name if there is one, and where you bought it (a link please)!

Phone:

Red 32GB – February 28th, 2014 (Replacement of Launch Day phone with shattered screen)

Accessories:

Nillkin H+ Tempered Glass Screen Protector - http://www.amazon.com/Nilkin-Hardness-Tempered-Screen-Protectors/dp/B00GQOQKJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399348626&sr=8-1&keywords=nillkin+H%2B+nexus+5
    Generic eBay Black Replica Nexus 4 Bumper for the Nexus 5 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-7-Colors-NEW-Metal-TPU-Frame-Bumper-Cover-Case-For-LG-Goole-Nexus-5-/360898185809?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item5407354a51
    Black Titanium Skin from @dbrandSkins - https://dbrand.com/shop/nexus-5

Screen with Nillkin H+ Tempered Glass Screen Protector.
    Lsosy6a.jpg

dbrand Black Titanium skin and Replica Nexus 4 Bumper.
    bUc2qiK.jpg
    Here's mine 3 weeks old red Nexus 5 which I absolutely love it :) I've got for now 2 wireless chargers, black quicksand cover, table holder, leather case and xtremeguard HD screen protector which I don't like it at all, so I ordered Nillkin tempered glass, and a bunch of other stuff like bumpers, cases, car holders, chargers etc etc. And thanks to @mmmmBACON which reviews helped me in choosing some of the accessories.

View attachment 2738174 View attachment 2738175 View attachment 2738177 View attachment 2738178
    Forgot, this is the same but with the ringke fusion gray case!

Sure, no problem.

h1lHL1J.jpg

NUqqSjk.jpg

hNHZ5Q3.jpg

r1Amxow.jpg

o6mvQJ3.jpg