Am I Hard Bricked Or Not?

Search This thread

CoyotesFan4Evr

Sep 29, 2012
Glendale
So, I rooted my wife's old Galaxy S3 (Verizon). It took a bit to figure out as this is my first Samsung device I've ever tried to root. I read as much as I could find before I did the deed. Basically I tried a few of the known methods out there. Nothing worked until the Towelroot method. Worked like a charm. I didn't do anything weird. I put Rom Manager on it to put a custom recovery on it. I did forget that I didn't unlock the bootloader. Now the phone is/was on Android 4.3 JellyBean. Anyways I did EZ-Unlock to unlock it. I removed the normal bloatware. Nothing that would harm the phone. Then because this phone is running off of WiFi only and I kept getting the no Sim card message I decided to power down and put a non active Sim card into it. That's where things went horribly wrong. I turned it off, put the Sim card in, powered it back on or tried to and the phone did nothing. I got no vibration no lights not a thing. So after trying several button combinations I pulled the battery and plugged it in and that got the red charging light. When I plug it into my lap top it makes the recognize device sound but can't find drivers for it. I tried to do the hard brick recovery where you download the hard brick onto an sd card and then the phone SHOULD boot off of it. Well that didn't even work. I just can't understand what exactly understand why this happened or what happened to get to this point. Any help would be amazing guys. It is just a play toy at this point. But it's important to have the phone working in case of needing it for a temporary phone.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
It is impossible to downgrade from the 4.3 locked bootloader to the unlocked bootloader. Verizon killed the loophole, so yes you are hard bricked. You were right in trying the SD card de-brick. Did you try this one: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2581166?

Make sure you use a class 10 SD card and one that has the same storage size as the phone's internal storage (16/32).

If that doesn't work you need to get a JTAG repair. I know http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/ has a JTAG repair service. They even have a bootloader downgrade service to revert to the unlocked bootloader!

Last edited:

CoyotesFan4Evr

Sep 29, 2012
Glendale
OK, so the de-brick method. The guy has 2 of those videos up. The one that I believe everyone is going off of is the one where he states you have to have a certain SD card. The other he states that it will work with anything and that it's much easier than the previous video. So having seen both, I don't honestly know what direction to go in. I don't have any income or money right now to go buy the right card if that's what I need to do. I also can't do the JTAG. However I did read up and watch a few videos on making my own jig. I also found one on ebay for 4 bucks with free shipping. That I could possibly swing. But 20 bucks or 50 bucks I can't. It sucks that this all happened, as much as I dislike Samsung phones because of their plastic feel and touchwiz I was looking forward to getting rid of touchwiz and seeing what the phone could really do. I was unaware that the loophole had not been reopened. I suppose I was reading things wrong then because while there are restrictions on what Roms you can flash I thought that we were still able to unlock the bootloader. I mean Ez-Unlock worked from what the phone said. Now if that's what hard bricked it then ok I guess, I just would have thought something would have went wrong right after and not wait until I powered the phone off. Meh, live and learn I suppose. Perhaps getting the jig or making my own for a buck is what I should do to see if I can get it to all work again so I can start from scratch. I should have known when I tried to root a Samsung phone from sprint a couple years ago that this was a bad idea. I soft bricked that one and couldn't get it to come back from it no matter what I did so a third party store had to do it for me. Then I soft bricked it again. Samsung phones hate me. LOL I appreciate the help. Any further help and or thoughts on this matter are totally welcome!!

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
Yeah once you use EZ Unlock the phone will still be fine until you try to reboot and it goes through the boot process. Once it doesn't recognize that part of the bootchain it bricks.

But yeah if you can make a jig to get yourself into download mode you can ODIN a stock 4.3 tar and be back up and running.

CoyotesFan4Evr

Sep 29, 2012
Glendale
So it was EZ-Unlock huh? Alright well now I know. I'll run to radio shack and get the resistors I need and give it a shot. Doesn't seem like it's all that hard to do really, just a matter of hitting the right points in the charging port.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
So it was EZ-Unlock huh? Alright well now I know. I'll run to radio shack and get the resistors I need and give it a shot. Doesn't seem like it's all that hard to do really, just a matter of hitting the right points in the charging port.

Hope I am wrong but the jig won't help you. If it does make sure you tell us because using a jig would be preferred over the SD card trick.

CoyotesFan4Evr

Sep 29, 2012
Glendale
Well, I tried making the jig and that didn't work. Not sure if I'm just not hitting the right parts on it or what? Now the battery is totally dead but I swapped it with my father in law's fully charged S3. Now I went ahead and bought the little jig thing that they sell on E-bay. Yeah that hasn't worked yet. I'm going to research into it more and see if I'm just doing something wrong or not. But it should be plug in and boom it goes into download mode. If not then next month I'll get the SD card I need and try that method. Right now I'm just stuck. And not only stuck with this problem but also stuck waiting for my upgrade phone replacement to come in tomorrow as I upgraded from my DNA to the One M7 but that one is on a boot loop so now I'm waiting on the LG G2. Ugh, my luck with phones is just not going in the way of Good. LOL

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Well, I tried making the jig and that didn't work. Not sure if I'm just not hitting the right parts on it or what? Now the battery is totally dead but I swapped it with my father in law's fully charged S3. Now I went ahead and bought the little jig thing that they sell on E-bay. Yeah that hasn't worked yet. I'm going to research into it more and see if I'm just doing something wrong or not. But it should be plug in and boom it goes into download mode. If not then next month I'll get the SD card I need and try that method. Right now I'm just stuck. And not only stuck with this problem but also stuck waiting for my upgrade phone replacement to come in tomorrow as I upgraded from my DNA to the One M7 but that one is on a boot loop so now I'm waiting on the LG G2. Ugh, my luck with phones is just not going in the way of Good. LOL
You're hard bricked, you need to do the SD card method or send it out for a jtag repair.

A USB jig will never work in this situation.

Top Liked Posts