New Software Update for Verizon GS4

Search This thread

DeMi-GoD

Nov 4, 2012
Lol lame. Idk why anyone hasn't told me if the update fixes shutter lag or not wtf?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

DeMi-GoD

Nov 4, 2012
Because most aren't going to update since it locks your device down and there's no root method (far as I've read) for it.

So if you're not rooted then it's not a big deal right? I see no reason to root this phone. I disabled all the bloatware and i have plenty of space.

dstreng

May 24, 2012
will the devs be able to merge the update changes into their roms without losing loki and the old unsecure boot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
So if you're not rooted then it's not a big deal right? I see no reason to root this phone. I disabled all the bloatware and i have plenty of space.

I'm not rooted, so for me, its not a big deal being locked. I just can't get the damn thing to install, having tried three different methods (two with the Verizon updater crap), and the third and last via KIES, none of them complete the download, or tell me it's corrupt -- all I can think is that they're getting hammered, I'm not really wild about restoring my device (since I see no need since it's not modified) to see if that will make it work, as I'm sure it won't. I can't get past around 50% with the Verizon updated, and KIES craps out saying there was an error found in the download, at 69% each and every time.

Reactions: DeMi-GoD

chewwy420

Nov 28, 2007
With the Amish
Here is a link to the dump of /system zipped up. I extracted it from the .md5.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7roojuw4aqaie58/I545VRUAME7_system.rar
Not sure how long it will last being dropbox don't like when it gets downloaded to much.

I just made a flashable zip file and all seems to be working, root and all! But I only did the system image nothing else.
See attached screen shot. Shows build number ME7 but baseband still @ MDK.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-09-15-49-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-09-15-49-06.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 491

JaeKay

Feb 27, 2013

yup if you arent rooted, go ahead and update. it improves performance quite a bit and allows apps to sd to a limited extent, which is better than nothing,

chewwy420

Nov 28, 2007
With the Amish
Here is a link to the dump of /system zipped up. I extracted it from the .md5.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7roojuw4aqaie58/I545VRUAME7_system.rar
Not sure how long it will last being dropbox don't like when it gets downloaded to much.

I just made a flashable zip file and all seems to be working, root and all! But I only did the system image nothing else.
See attached screen shot. Shows build number ME7 but baseband still @ MDK.

Nevermind!!!!! Can't get WiFi to turn on! BT will but not Wifi.

DeMi-GoD

Nov 4, 2012
yup if you arent rooted, go ahead and update. it improves performance quite a bit and allows apps to sd to a limited extent, which is better than nothing,

What kind of performance upgrades?

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

I'm not rooted, so for me, its not a big deal being locked. I just can't get the damn thing to install, having tried three different methods (two with the Verizon updater crap), and the third and last via KIES, none of them complete the download, or tell me it's corrupt -- all I can think is that they're getting hammered, I'm not really wild about restoring my device (since I see no need since it's not modified) to see if that will make it work, as I'm sure it won't. I can't get past around 50% with the Verizon updated, and KIES craps out saying there was an error found in the download, at 69% each and every time.

That sucks man. I'm sure it will eventually work. I don't even know where to begin with this update. My laptop is broken but I guess I could try to use my dad's laptop.

DeMi-GoD

Nov 4, 2012
Just overall lag is gone. There are more info on the international galaxy s4 forum because they got the update a while ago

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OK so if I do the update its ot going to factory reset my phone or anything?

DeMi-GoD

Nov 4, 2012
Can someone tell me how to get this update? Do I just plug the usb cable into this laptop?

Tada10

Feb 19, 2013

mrlaigle

Jul 22, 2010
What kind of performance upgrades?

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

That sucks man. I'm sure it will eventually work. I don't even know where to begin with this update. My laptop is broken but I guess I could try to use my dad's laptop.

I haven't really experienced any lag in the old version...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
Finally got the goddamn thing to flash. Installed all the stuff on my Mac, and it worked the very first time, so I'm guessing I either got lucky when I was downloading (since it seemed it was the download that was corrupt every other time I tried), or if it just hates Winblows. I'm at 94% now so it should be rebooting shortly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I can confirm that you obviously lose root after the new update. But not only that, the new VRUAME7 build flashes a new bootloader that prevents you from flashing the prerelease kernel effectively preventing you from rerooting after as well. I have a few ideas I'm going to try to get this working but it may require a few extra steps. Watch here for updates and DO NOT update to the new build yet if you want to keep root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798
    I've tried 4 times to apply this update, however the Verizon download thing keeps crapping out. It downloads, then at the end says "Binary Download Fail. Please Try again."

god has told you 4 times to reconsider locking down your phone. how many more does he have to tell you before you'll listen.
    Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader in the update prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.
    After further consideration, and due to the fact that I'm unable to test this no-wipe/no-lock method on my own device (due to having updated early like many folks here) I've decided that it's best to cancel the thread I was going to post. I'm really sorry folks but I realize this will not help those that already updated early and are stuck and also risking first testers with a possible hard brick as well due to the nature of such a mod. Once again, I apologize for raising anyone's hopes but I think this decision will benefit in the long run as our more advanced developers will continue searching for a proper root method that helps us few folks that updated early root as well instead of forgetting us after a no-lock update is available for everyone else. I hope you understand my reasoning for this decision. Better a proper fix for everyone than a workaround for most.
    What's the problem bud?

You need to start using Google search

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta