how to flash update rc29 from sdcard

Search This thread

darkashram

Nov 24, 2008
Hi, I tried flashing with your file and it still doesn't work. Here is what I am getting exactly.
P1000939.JPG

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Hmm... okay then perform the first two steps in Darkrift's guide. That will put the modified recovery partition on your G1. After that, try the test key signed RC30 again.

darkashram

Nov 24, 2008
haven't tried with the modified recovery.img yet. Would it also work if I flashed the recovery.img from the original rc30 update, then update it with the official rc30 update? Would that restore my phone so I can recieve OTA updates again? Thanks

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
haven't tried with the modified recovery.img yet. Would it also work if I flashed the recovery.img from the original rc30 update, then update it with the official rc30 update? Would that restore my phone so I can recieve OTA updates again? Thanks

Yeah that should work as well. Copy officially signed RC30 to root of sd card as update.zip and also put a copy of the recovery.img extracted from it on the sd card as recovery_ota_rc30.img. Reboot the G1 and activate telnetd, then run the steps to flash recovery using adb or Terminal Emulator

mount -o remount rw /system
cd /system
cat /sdcard/recovery_ota_rc30.img > recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img

Then reboot phone into recovery mode and you should be able to flash it with the officially signed ota update.

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Yeah that should work as well. Copy officially signed RC30 to root of sd card as update.zip and also put a copy of the recovery.img extracted from it on the sd card as recovery_ota_rc30.img. Reboot the G1 and activate telnetd, then run the steps to flash recovery using adb or Terminal Emulator

mount -o remount rw /system
cd /system
cat /sdcard/recovery_ota_rc30.img > recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img

Then reboot phone into recovery mode and you should be able to flash it with the officially signed ota update.

That probably won't work with the latest modified RC30 (v1.2). There isn't enough space on system for recovery.img. The startup scripts will flash a recovery image at /data/recovery.img though. But if you're using flash_image, you should be able to flash directly from the sdcard
i.e.
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery_ota_rc30.img

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
That's a good tip. I think darkashram is still on RC19 or whatever his dev unit was loaded with though, so it might not be a problem.

Looking at the error screen more carefully, I notice that the reason it halted is it threw an exception on the fingerprint check. The developers device fingerprint isnt on the list of allowed origination fingerprints. So darkashram can simply open a terminal, type getprop ro.build.fingerprint and then add that into the list in the first line of \META-INF\com\google\android\update-script

Code:
assert getprop("ro.build.fingerprint") == "DARKASHRAMS_DEVICE_FINGERPRINT"

or simply comment all those assertions out.

Edit: Here's the ota rc30 with the fingerprint check assertions removed, signed with test keys. Pop into root of sd and reboot into recovery mode to flash it. Warning: Modified RC30 users should not touch this!

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
That's a good tip. I think darkashram is still on RC19 or whatever his dev unit was loaded with though, so it might not be a problem.

Looking at the error screen more carefully, I notice that the reason it halted is it threw an exception on the fingerprint check. The developers device fingerprint isnt on the list of allowed origination fingerprints. So darkashram can simply open a terminal, type getprop ro.build.fingerprint and then add that into the list in the first line of \META-INF\com\google\android\update-script

Code:

Yeah, it would be easier to just comment them out, IMO. Don't forget though, you have to resign the zip file.

Another way is to grab the recovery image from the update you want to install and flash that to the phone. The fingerprint check is against the fingerprint in the recovery image. So if you install the same recovery image for the official update you are trying to apply, it should have the correct fingerprint.

darkashram

Nov 24, 2008
I tried that file with the fingerprint check assertions removed and it worked. At first it wouldn't boot past the android screen, but I did a factory reset and it worked after that. Thanks guys for all the help!

roguetrader05

Jun 9, 2006
Many Many THANKS!!

-rt5

Code:

Edit: Here's the ota rc30 with the fingerprint check assertions removed, signed with test keys. Pop into root of sd and reboot into recovery mode to flash it. Warning: Modified RC30 users should not touch this!

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
It won't install because the assertion check failed. It will only allow installation if the current fingerprint of the device matches the ones in the assertion (RC28 or RC29).

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
so i need TC4-RC29 116143 (which is impossible to find because google changed the build number for RC30 for a "better" battery life

Err... RC30 was released to fix a root console bug. Anyway the point is unless you have a Dev Phone or G1 with modified Android, you cannot install RCxx over RCyy if yy > xx.

andyandrwew

Jun 23, 2008
Lawrenceville, GA
: (

Thanks for getting my hopes up of an rc30 exploit by bumping two old threads. :p

:( No, there is no way to flash rc30 back to rc29.

yeh... if i knew my way around the OS i could probobly make a fake build number as a temporary placement for the original by using the terminal but im still learning and it so far it seems so easy to create apps but for major renovations now is not the time