[MOD] T-Mobile Note 2 wireless charging mod

Search This thread

siraltus

Jan 26, 2010
I just got the Samsung wireless charger and it is very nice, with a nice design, BUT it is very 'sensitive". What I mean, is that if you move the phone even a 1/4 of an inch away from the center, it will stop charging.
The Chinese knockoff it has no such problem.
So, go ahead and get the cheap ones. ...
Other than that, everything works perfectly with this mod.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

I opened my phone and thought about doing this mod, but running the wire, even a very thin one, causes the speaker cavity to not properly mate to the PCB and chassis the way it's described, which screws up several things:

• Acoustic seal around the microphone no longer seals the mic tunnel to the microphone. This will screw up noise cancellation and call audio.
  • Less tension on the speaker and antenna contacts means at some point those connections can become intermittent. No thanks.
  • Dust seal around the USB connector no longer seals off the rest of the phone from dust. I don't want dust getting deep into the phone through the USB connector.

The only way to do this mod reliably is to route the wire outside the speaker cavity module, not under it, and have it enter the target solder point through the tiny space between the die-cast chassis and the cavity module in the middle of the module, but then the phone won't close properly, so a little filing of the plastic is required on the outer edge of the speaker cavity module.

All this trouble while my stock charger can charge the phone twice as fast? I'll stick with the stock charger.

Last edited:

premiatul

Sep 25, 2010
I opened my phone and thought about doing this mod, but running the wire, even a very thin one, causes the speaker cavity to not properly mate to the PCB and chassis the way it's described, which screws up several things:

• Acoustic seal around the microphone no longer seals the mic tunnel to the microphone. This will screw up noise cancellation and call audio.
  • Less tension on the speaker and antenna contacts means at some point those connections can become intermittent. No thanks.
  • Dust seal around the USB connector no longer seals off the rest of the phone from dust. I don't want dust getting deep into the phone through the USB connector.

The only way to do this mod reliably is to route the wire outside the speaker cavity module, not under it, and have it enter the target solder point through the tiny space between the die-cast chassis and the cavity module in the middle of the module, but then the phone won't close properly, so a little filing of the plastic is required on the outer edge of the speaker cavity module.

All this trouble while my stock charger can charge the phone twice as fast? I'll stick with the stock charger.

That's why I said to take it to a repair shop. They did it a little bit different than the OP.
From point A to the upper corner, they run a flat copper tape and from there a soldered solid wire to point C.
I have no problem with closing the cover, it is like it's nothing there.
They did cover the flat tape with some kind of liquid that hardens and isolates. It actually looks like factory made.

Reactions: noniwww

siraltus

Jan 26, 2010
That's why I said to take it to a repair shop. They did it a little bit different than the OP.
From point A to the upper corner, they run a flat copper tape and from there a soldered solid wire to point C.
I have no problem with closing the cover, it is like it's nothing there.
They did cover the flat tape with some kind of liquid that hardens and isolates. It actually looks like factory made.

Resin lacquer over copper tape - good idea, but we're talking fractions of a millimeter tolerances here, it will still lift the speaker cavity module enough to break the airtight acoustic seal around the microphone and the dust seal around the USB connector. Take the module out and examine it very closely, you'll see there's an area where the module's thick enough to sit completely flush against the USB PCB, any lift there will lift it enough for the mic seal to fail. Copper tape gives me an idea on how to route it around the speaker module, though. I'll poke around this weekend.

premiatul

Sep 25, 2010
Resin lacquer over copper tape - good idea, but we're talking fractions of a millimeter tolerances here, it will still lift the speaker cavity module enough to break the airtight acoustic seal around the microphone and the dust seal around the USB connector. Take the module out and examine it very closely, you'll see there's an area where the module's thick enough to sit completely flush against the USB PCB, any lift there will lift it enough for the mic seal to fail. Copper tape gives me an idea on how to route it around the speaker module, though. I'll poke around this weekend.

Well, I have no problem with the mic or anything else, PLUS I have now wireless charging.
Good luck with yours and if you have any new idea don't hesitate to share it here.

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit

Your concerns are not a problem if you use thin enough wire. Many of us have this working since I posted the how to several months ago. Good luck with yours. :good:

moonpie28

May 19, 2010
I don't think it matters, the guy who did mine used hair thin and it worked fine. Like practically the gauge of a single strand of speaker wire.

rubin110

Oct 19, 2010
I understand that. The question is more of, what's the thickest gauge I could go with so I can figure out if I've already got wire here I could use or should I order some. I only want to open the back of this thing up once. Thanks.

rubin110

Oct 19, 2010
So I've tried this install with the Qi charge for the Note II off of Amazon. The Qi charging base changes color when the pad is on top of it, but my Note II doesn't indicate that it's getting a charge. I'm running CM11 M8. I'm fairly certain my solder joins are good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

vinas1

Jan 29, 2011
Detroit
So I've tried this install with the Qi charge for the Note II off of Amazon. The Qi charging base changes color when the pad is on top of it, but my Note II doesn't indicate that it's getting a charge. I'm running CM11 M8. I'm fairly certain my solder joins are good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm using with a Qi charger for many months now. I think the only real problem is making sure the phone is "squared up" on the receiver part of the charge pad. If the base changes color, that typically means that the Qi pad that you installed in the phone is receiving a charge from the Qi base. Some problems that I have ran into since I created this mod:

Charger amps - The Qi pad will drop the charge rate, to combat this make sure the charger is a 2000mA charger (the stock charger has always been recommended for this reason)...

Kernel - try a stock kernel until you get this working reliably. Some kernels try to charge at different rates, this can break inductive charging.

Connections - try holding your hand over the pins from the charge coil to make sure the pins are making excellent contact with the phone charge pins. Hold the connectors and move the phone to and away from the Qi base pad to see if it starts to work while you are holding it.

Qi Pad Quality - if you are sure you're doing everything correctly see if you can find a friend with another Qi pad that you can try. I've had cheap Qi pads not work.

If all of the above still doesn't work, my guess would be electrical issue. Good luck and I hope you get it working with the rest of us!

Last edited:

crazyn8

Aug 31, 2007
OnePlus 8 Pro
Fast(er) Charging with T889 Wireless Charging Mod

Hey guys,

I don't know if someone has posted this already, but I thought I'd post my 2 cents... After doing this mod I was really disappointed with the ridiculously slow charging rate of 460mA. I was also surprised with the amount of BS on the "interwebs" regarding why the T-Mobile variant of the Note 2 (SGH-T889) was limited to such a slow charge rate. So after ordering a bunch of "wireless receiver pads" on Amazon, tinkering around with various ROMs and Kernels, and playing with several different Wireless Charging Stations, I've finally found a wireless setup that charges at 1000mA.

Here's the deal:

1) Not all "Wireless Receiving Pads" are created the same. What I'm calling a "Wireless Receiving Pad, is the $8-12 "coil pack/receiver" that sticks to the phone under the back cover. Basically, there are a bunch of geniuses online who claim that if you have a good quality wall-wart / AC charger (such as from a Blackberry, tablet, etc.) powering a good quality Qi Charging Station, then you will be ok. This is only half true. You are obviously limited to the OUTPUT (not INPUT) induced charging current of the Wireless Receiving Pad. Of the 3 I bought on Amazon, one maxed out at 500mA, one got 800mA, and another got 1100mA. I will post details of the one I ended up staying with which cranked out 1100mA. Being limited by the output of the charging pad was the first limitation I thought of, and God knows I'm no genius! So MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WIRELESS RECEIVER CAPABLE OF A DECENT CHARGING RATE!!

2) Once you have selected a solid Wireless Receiver that is actually capable of outputting a decent induced charge, the next obvious step is to overcome the 460mA boundary set for USB charging. This is obviously controlled by the phone (hence plugging in different chords -ie: some with shorted Data +/- vs. non-shorted) result in different reference charging rates. This is easily resolved by using an aftermarket Kernel that's not half-baked like 80% of the Kernels out there. I recommend Agni's Kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602053

I like Agni for many reasons, however in this specific scenario I really like the "Agni Control" app which will allow you to change the USB reference current up to 1200mA.

3) Use an app like Galaxy Charging Current Lite from the Play Store to determine your current charge rate.

That's pretty much it! It took me 40 minutes to write this article (at work, multitasking) and my phone charged from 66%-90% on a cheap $22 PowerBot Charger from Amazon! I'll post more details when I get a chance, such as pictures of the Receiver, Charging Pad, Kernel and ROM specifics, etc.

Cheers!

N8

Sherl

Nov 23, 2010
Monaco
Does the t889 doesn't works with any other usb board? I have N7100 ordered for a faulty USB fix. Wont that work? or it will put phone in bootloop?

Sherl

Nov 23, 2010
Monaco
No. You need the T889 board. It has different chips on it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
@Product F(RED) Okay. Thanks!
Should I buy exact same board kind of? I mean I have Rev 0.7 R.CB2 (kh) 12 on the board and K2c19 on the connector strip. Does it need to match with the item they sell in eBay or any Rev board in eBay which is meant for t889!

Once again thank you so much.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
@Product F(RED) Okay. Thanks!
Should I buy exact same board kind of? I mean I have Rev 0.7 R.CB2 (kh) 12 on the board and K2c19 on the connector strip. Does it need to match with the item they sell in eBay or any Rev board in eBay which is meant for t889!

Once again thank you so much.

As long as it's got the T89 you'll be fine. I've replaced it before. Trust me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

toocool7610

Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I don't know if someone has posted this already, but I thought I'd post my 2 cents... After doing this mod I was really disappointed with the ridiculously slow charging rate of 460mA. I was also surprised with the amount of BS on the "interwebs" regarding why the T-Mobile variant of the Note 2 (SGH-T889) was limited to such a slow charge rate. So after ordering a bunch of "wireless receiver pads" on Amazon, tinkering around with various ROMs and Kernels, and playing with several different Wireless Charging Stations, I've finally found a wireless setup that charges at 1000mA.

Here's the deal:

1) Not all "Wireless Receiving Pads" are created the same. What I'm calling a "Wireless Receiving Pad, is the $8-12 "coil pack/receiver" that sticks to the phone under the back cover. Basically, there are a bunch of geniuses online who claim that if you have a good quality wall-wart / AC charger (such as from a Blackberry, tablet, etc.) powering a good quality Qi Charging Station, then you will be ok. This is only half true. You are obviously limited to the OUTPUT (not INPUT) induced charging current of the Wireless Receiving Pad. Of the 3 I bought on Amazon, one maxed out at 500mA, one got 800mA, and another got 1100mA. I will post details of the one I ended up staying with which cranked out 1100mA. Being limited by the output of the charging pad was the first limitation I thought of, and God knows I'm no genius! So MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WIRELESS RECEIVER CAPABLE OF A DECENT CHARGING RATE!!

2) Once you have selected a solid Wireless Receiver that is actually capable of outputting a decent induced charge, the next obvious step is to overcome the 460mA boundary set for USB charging. This is obviously controlled by the phone (hence plugging in different chords -ie: some with shorted Data +/- vs. non-shorted) result in different reference charging rates. This is easily resolved by using an aftermarket Kernel that's not half-baked like 80% of the Kernels out there. I recommend Agni's Kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602053

I like Agni for many reasons, however in this specific scenario I really like the "Agni Control" app which will allow you to change the USB reference current up to 1200mA.

3) Use an app like Galaxy Charging Current Lite from the Play Store to determine your current charge rate.

That's pretty much it! It took me 40 minutes to write this article (at work, multitasking) and my phone charged from 66%-90% on a cheap $22 PowerBot Charger from Amazon! I'll post more details when I get a chance, such as pictures of the Receiver, Charging Pad, Kernel and ROM specifics, etc.

Cheers!

N8
Hi

I have international galaxy note 2 N 7100 , i also have 460 charging current on my note 2 wireless charging, which kernel will work best for me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do. I might do the same thing... I have lots of touchstones and a couple Note2's that need some inductive lovin'!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Here ya go! Keep in mind that this is my wireless volt mod (as in, the way I did it) and as such, any improvements are welcome! I'm very happy with the mod so far. The phone did a full charge over night with no problems. It was very nice just to pick it up off the touchstone this morning! But as usual do this at your own risk! The person doing the mod should be reasonably proficient at soldering small joints. Just be careful and this will work for you. Instructions are on the JPG! Any questions please ask! Verified working on the stock kernel and stock charger. :good:
    This is a fork of the original N7100 Note 2 wireless mod thread found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951493

The purpose of this thread is to determine why the wireless charging pins on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889) are not working after installing the MOD above.
    Please view the thread above for more details about the original MOD, and to see what you need to do first in order to continue with the work around below.

Updated method on 8-5-2013: Thanks to SGBE

The updated method has a better solder point. See that thread OVER HERE.

Results:

The Work Around: (verified working on multiple devices)
    We have a mod to make wifi charging work! Regardless if the T-Mobile GN2 is missing hardware or not, the work-around is a low cost (free?) alternative to get wifi charging working. Our work around involves soldering a small wire to a tiny point on the micro usb board. You should be able to solder a very small connection (about the size of a pen tip) before attempting this.​
    The mod/workaround below is verified working with the stock charger and stock kernel. <- Pay attention to that last bit. :cowboy:

Workaround Known Issues:
    Some kernels have a charge rate which is set too high for the PALM PRE Touchstone to work with. Likewise, some non-oem chargers can not deliver enough amperage to continuously charge the device wirelessly through the Touchstone. Therefore, if you have any problems (disconnect/reconnect proble), be certain that you are using a stock charging rate (kernel controlled) and a stock Galaxy Note 2 Charger (2,000mA). If you are still having problems check your mod for trouble, and finally post up and maybe someone can help you.

The Mod / Workaround:
    (also attachment #3 on the list below)

attachment.php

The full work around post is on page 3
    .​

New Information:
    If you have new information on a hardware or software fix then it will be added here. Until that time, proceed with the workaround at your own risk. Once again, the work around instructional image is HERE.

WARNING: What was claimed to be a fix in the section below did not work, and ultimately people wasted money on bogus hardware. It is here for historical reference.

The Fix
    You may need to purchase some missing hardware.

See page 7 for details (you need to replace the flex cable and micro-usb board): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34380437&postcount=65 The SKU number for the board is MBRPSS964.

(the false wifi charging image is only attached for historical reference)

Picture legend:
    1. Sprint GN2 chip (the chip is missing on T-Mobile's version)
    2. Sprint GN2 pin pads
    3. Wifi Charging work around instructions
    4. Completed work around example.
    5. alternate view of work around charging pin
    6. alternate view of work around +5vdc source
    7. Picture of the wi-fi fix working (reported that this may be a fake!)

Older info:
    Some steps that I've personally done:
    Completed the wireless mod above, confirmed wireless voltage reading of 5.56vdc.
    Tested continuity between USB positive, and wireless positive - no connection.
    Tested continuity from the negative wireless charging pin to the negative USB, SIM slot, various screws - they are connected.
    Jumped the positive post on the USB to the wireless charging positive pin, the phone charges but is not practical to have a wire hanging out of the USB port.

I plan to pull apart the phone and check the paths from the positive and negative ports on the wireless pins. Attached is a picture from a SPRINT GN2 that does not have the pins, but supposedly works for charging once contact is made with the pads. I'm going to be using this to compare the circuit against my T-mobile version.
    As it stands now, I jumped the USB 5vdc internally with a tiny wire, over to the wireless positive pin. It's working, although it was a tough mod. But it is totally internal so I guess this will have to do for now. So I have wireless charging (kind of, it works teh same as USB) on the T-mobile Note 2 now. If anyone wants to do the same thing, post up a pic of the board by the USB plug and I'll label the connector that you can use for the 5vdc source. The reason it's a tough mod is because you have to solder a small connection to the board under the capacitive touch buttons. It took me about 4 hours to find a good power lead on the board and make it all work internally!
    Did anyone tried the "CircuitWriter Pen"?
    I have one and I am tempted to try it.

Here is what I'm talking about:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl?sc=1&category=&search=circuit
    Circuit Pens not recommended for this mod. Grounding issues and reliability issues with conductive pens. To answer your question directly, I have tested with my conductive pen and it is difficult to maintain a path for any significant distance. These pens are probably good for minor repairs though, just not this mod. The path is pretty long and even if a conductive pen could be used, the risk of shorting is pretty high. It may be possible to use conductive tape, but reliability issues are likely.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that the original mod which I posted is still going strong on my phone. Cheers!
    Hey gang. Wanted to update every one of you on this thread because we were able to get it to work on the Note II on the T-mobile network with a very simple fix that required no wiring, etc. It did, however, require that you purchase a Dock Charging Board Flex cable part that fits perfectly on the bottom of the circuit board. It will cause no functional changes to your phone, either. Wireless charging works in addition to plug-in charging.

Because I'm a new user, I can't post links to the purchase store where I bought it but you can go to the website: China Gadget Land and do a search for charging flex cable n7100 - that one result is the one you are looking for. The SKU is: MBRPSS964

Those of you who still want a link can just PM me to find out info about it. I'm also on twitter: @aaldere1

The main difference between the two you can see by the picture attached. The default T-Mobile flex cable has 3 pins on the upper left corner, while the purchased one has two, plus a bit of a difference in circuitry.

We thought originally that this woudln't work but there isn't any functional difference in the phone at all with this part. Again, this is a T-Mobile Note II. Works great.

The good news is that this flex cable can be interchanged with your default one so if something doesn't work you won't have to severely modify your phone to get it back.