[OTA][ZIP] Kitkat ND8 full unmodified ota

Search This thread

ChrisWNY

May 28, 2014
That's correct, getting an OTA update to work requires being on completely stock. Stock ROM, recovery, kernel, bootloader, and unrooted.

The Odin method is definitely easiest unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade via OTA vs. flashing from Odin (which obviously wipes the phone before the flash). I suppose it's rather inconvenient to blow away apps and data for most users - in my case, since I use a custom ROM, I don't care about apps and data on the stock ROM.

glenesis

Apr 23, 2011
I ran the OTA to see what would happen. My apps and data remain intact. I did lose write access to the external SD Card however, so I can't recommend doing the OTA update. (I had read somewhere that some folks had kept write access to the sd card - I was not that lucky. Oh, well. CM11, here I come!)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
I ran the OTA to see what would happen. My apps and data remain intact. I did lose write access to the external SD Card however, so I can't recommend doing the OTA update. (I had read somewhere that some folks had kept write access to the sd card - I was not that lucky. Oh, well. CM11, here I come!)

The SD card issue has nothing to do with whether you run the OTA or not. It's a "feature" of KitKat. And you haven't really lost access to the SD card. It's all about security, and many apps will need to be updated to work correctly with KitKat:

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

And if you root, it's easy to get around it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan

You can also use THIS to fix your SD Card issue.

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Or also if rooted, flash @CNexus' modified stock kernel set to permissive instead of enforcing, or flash @ktoonsez' latest kernel for TouchWiz 4.4.2.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Hmm... I was wondering why I can't make TiBu or Nova Launcher back ups.

Russ0000

Dec 11, 2013
Can ART be enabled? I don't see it in developer options. I know its not officially supported yet thought it would be an option.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Can ART be enabled? I don't see it in developer options. I know its not officially supported yet thought it would be an option.

No and it won't be until it's officially supported

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Reactions: Russ0000

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

Only some devices have it enabled on vendor roms (s5 does, m8 does not, etc)

Otherwise if you force it to show up (edit the settings apk) then you get bootloops without milk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full UNMODIFIED ota. Don't take if you don't want to:

Download: http://android.clients.google.com/p...fbe72.USER_L710_SPR_MK3_to_ND8_Update_FWD.zip

I take no responsibility for your actions if you flash this.

Requirements:
    1) Be on stock, odexed, unmodified MK3 rom
    2) May or may not work by flashing through custom recovery, otherwise flash with stock recovery

Thanks bilgerryan for the filename
    Test 1, 4.4 rom doesn't boot. Faith not lost however as this happened back on 4.3...

Also a note...if you find any ND8 files of mine online, please do not link to them as they may or may not break your phone until I've thoroughly tested and posted links myself
    So if you decide to flash them...do so at your own risk :silly:
    Ok guys, tests have come back from the lab (haha) but it looks like if you want the ND8 rom to boot, you need the ND8 firmware, mainly the bootloader.

So until I can provide a flashable for the firmware, I'd suggest to flash the ND8 tar provided in the Android dev section.

I will be releasing the rom within the next day, followed by a deknoxed version (Knox apps removed) and a full ND8 firmware flashable.

Sucks, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Make sure after you flash the firmware to NEVER attempt to flash a stock tar < ND8, or flash firmware in any other form with version < ND8.

ND8 stock tar: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533

To get root back, simply ODIN flash a custom recovery after flashing the stock tar and then the recovery will install root the first time you boot into it.

:thumbup:
    I'll get a quick review video up soon to show it off. Anyone want to see anything in particular?
    Not too much of a huge difference. KK is a lot more smooth and better on RAM!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA mobile app