HELP! Motorola Photon Stuck on Starting RSD protocol support

Search This thread

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
the Phone wont boot its not rooted or anything and i have no idea what to do i only root htc and samsung phones and ive never heard of RSD Protocol. Sprint is trying to tell me it needs to be replaced but i dont believe thats true. Is there any way to get the phone out of this mode? Any help is Appreciated:)

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
By not boot do you mean that when you try to turn it on nothing happens (no lights, no logo, nothing on the screen) or it boots but you see the motorola logo and "RSD" at the top of the screen? If you are seeing "RSD" at the top of the screen then you should be able to flash the phone.

1. Go to the "Software version release history" section of my Motorola Photon Compendium.Download and unzip 2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6
  2. Go to the "Root/Unlock/Relock Method and Files" section. Download the "Root-Unlock-Relock Pack".
  3. Move the SUN-198_6 sbf that you extracted to the "SBF's" subfolder located in the "rsd" folder.
  4. In "rsd drivers" folder of the pack locate and install the appropriate drivers (32 or 64bit windows)
  5. Turn on your phone and connect it to you computer. Your computer will in detect and install the needed drivers
  6. Once your computer as finished install drivers launch RSD.exe located in the rsd folder.
  7. From here it should be pretty self explanatory.

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
By not boot do you mean that when you try to turn it on nothing happens (no lights, no logo, nothing on the screen) or it boots but you see the motorola logo and "RSD" at the top of the screen? If you are seeing "RSD" at the top of the screen then you should be able to flash the phone.

1. Go to the "Software version release history" section of my Motorola Photon Compendium.Download and unzip 2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_6
  2. Go to the "Root/Unlock/Relock Method and Files" section. Download the "Root-Unlock-Relock Pack".
  3. Move the SUN-198_6 sbf that you extracted to the "SBF's" subfolder located in the "rsd" folder.
  4. In "rsd drivers" folder of the pack locate and install the appropriate drivers (32 or 64bit windows)
  5. Turn on your phone and connect it to you computer. Your computer will in detect and install the needed drivers
  6. Once your computer as finished install drivers launch RSD.exe located in the rsd folder.
The phone boots but it stays at the Motorola dual core technology screen and it says RSD protocol and battery is to low to flash. But ivee had it connected to the charger for hours. But I will try out what you said if sprint still refuses to fix it. Thank you for your response.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
The phone boots but it stays at the Motorola dual core technology screen and it says RSD protocol and battery is to low to flash. But ivee had it connected to the charger for hours. But I will try out what you said if sprint still refuses to fix it. Thank you for your response.

Do Not flash with that battery low warning. Do this. Pull the battery, plug phone into your charger (USB to PC doesn't count), insert battery. Leave the phone alone for at least 3 hours. Press, do not hold down, the power button. The phone will display a charge level status. Once you have at least 70% charge, then start the rsd flashing not before.

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
Thank you again for the help I will try this when i have the phone again right now its being checked out by sprint again.

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
oh turns out i do have the photon on me right now but one thing i noticed after the first time it was serviced by sprint is the power button doesnt click or anything. at the sprint repair center they took it apart and even made a call with it but put it back to RSD Protocol mode?? But im not the owner of the photon but im sure the power buttton is supposed to have some kind of feed back correct?

Attachments

• 20120406_122555.jpg
    20120406_122555.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
so after i took the phone to the repair center he thought i rooted it and installed something wrong but said ill replace it this time. Now ive never rooted it but it randomly booted into safe mode? but when i turned it off it wouldn't boot again and went right into starting RSD protocol support? i got a feeling that one of the buttons is stuck and when i boot it goes into this mode anyone else have any ideas why it might be doing this?

bibbin

Apr 24, 2008
FWIW, I went through the same thing. Ended up sending mine to Motorola and they sent a replacement.

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
When I screwed up my I sent it too to motorola and they send me replacement
even I have insurance with sprint I didn't want to deal with.

Alex1123

Sep 12, 2010
When I had it I got it to boot but it would only boot into safe mode with a Motorola tool I found on the Droid 3 forums but anyways I just went in and got it replaced

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

ohiojoe

Jun 2, 2008
I found this thread by searching for my own issue, which is similar but a battery pull solves it. I'm simply attempting to do a factory reset on my non-rooted photon and going through the first step of factory reset procedure (power on while holding volume up), it shows the Motorola logo with "starting RSD protocol support" at the top and locks up. Again, pulling the battery fixes the lock up and it reboots normally.

But I'm at a loss how to get it to perform a factory reset.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

ohiojoe

Jun 2, 2008
No longer need to do a factory reset. If you care, you can read my other post in the general Q&A titled "Amazon app store shenanigans". Turns out when I uninstalled the amazon app store, my phone was horribly lagging in every application including the home screen, notification bar, etc. After a couple hours troubleshooting (I didn't immediately recognize the lagging was related to the app store uninstall), I reinstalled the amazon app store for unrelated reasons and the lagging disappeared.

However, I still would like to know how to reset this phone if the need ever arises.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

R4NDR01D

Apr 27, 2012
Fresno
randyjacob.com
I had the same RSD Protocol error...

How it happened:
I held the power and volume up button at the same time to power on my phone.

How I fixed it:
Took out the battery and turned my phone on regularly. (Sans the volume up button.)

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
I have a motorola electrify (rebadged motorola photon) and i was simply playing with the buttons to bring up that menu for fast boot, safe mode, etc... I haven't flashed mine either, trying to wait for official ICS to be released for it, and mine done the exact same thing one day! Want the fix?

1. I removed back, my case, and battery, put it back in after 30 seconds... actually a little longer cause I was doing Java homework

2. put it back battery back in but left back and Trident Aegis case off... DID SAME THING! so repeated step 1 and just played around mashing buttons kinda hard on sides and the power button(almost so hard it felt i could break something inside) but this phone is tough.

3. After putting back back on but not case, i tried again. SAME RESULTS ONCE AGAIN! looked at side buttons closely and noticed the up,down volume buttons are slightly more downward... more gap up top... so slide-pushed(sorry for lack of better word) the buttons upward, removed battery for a couple minutes and tried again.... and BOOM SHOCKA LOCKA!!!!! This was one grateful broke college kid that did not want to go back to his HTC touch pro2!

Last edited:

mstevens

[*]Turn on your phone and connect it to you computer. Your computer will in detect and install the needed drivers

Mine doesn't appear to do anything at all. Is there some way to force the detection and installation?

Do Not flash with that battery low warning. Do this. Pull the battery, plug phone into your charger (USB to PC doesn't count), insert battery. Leave the phone alone for at least 3 hours. Press, do not hold down, the power button. The phone will display a charge level status. Once you have at least 70% charge, then start the rsd flashing not before.

As soon as I connect the battery-less phone to the charger it shows the RSD message. Once I insert the battery, it starts heating rapidly. Tapping the power button does nothing.

Wife's phone, 100% stock. This happened in Mexico, so going to a Sprint store is out of the question.

Any ideas?

kdoug76

Jan 27, 2008
I cant access the files. It says forbidden.

Are these downloads still around?

dug an old Moto us cell electrify mb853 out of the archives and wanted to do some flashing

Looking for the compendium of photon stuff.

Any chance this is still online somewhere. I have looked properly. I think.