Xperia Z Battery Issues Discussion Thread

Search This thread

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
Since my iPhone 5 manages 6/7 hours. (And no I'm not a apple fanboy) 3h is rubbish! My S3 managed just over 4h and i know the Z has a bigger screen and resolution but no excuse for putting small batterys in phones that have big screens and high res.

iPhone is different. It's well knows that iOS devices have better battery life. Lets compare Android with Android - which as we all know doesn't manage power very well ( at least not as good as iOS or Windows Phone ). I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get 4h+ screen time - it depends on what Spectre has been doing with his phone.

G

GuestK00431

iPhone is different. It's well knows that iOS devices have better battery life. Lets compare Android with Android - which as we all know doesn't manage power very well ( at least not as good as iOS or Windows Phone ). I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get 4h+ screen time - it depends on what Spectre has been doing with his phone.

Yeah I guess so, I was just dissapointed to see that as it reminded me of the One X and Nexus 4, I hated both for that reason..

Spectre51

Re: Xperia Z battery life

Same here, my Note 2 on average gives me 5hrs screen on, at a push I can get slightly higher but my brightness has to be really low. Those shots above look good to me, they are without stamina mode on aren't they?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Correct no power saving features were turned on.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

Screen only making up 26% of total usage? Something seems off, have you investigated for unnecessary wake-locks? Mediaserver is taking up way too much battery

Saw that. Not sure why the media server would show up like that. I've just managed to get the device to die on me so I will charge it up and see what it's like tomorrow. I installed BBS also to track wakelocks.

Reactions: maverick1103

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
Correct no power saving features were turned on.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

Saw that. Not sure why the media server would show up like that. I've just managed to get the device to die on me so I will charge it up and see what it's like tomorrow. I installed BBS also to track wakelocks.

maybe BBS interferes with Stamina mode?

robertopod1968

Feb 18, 2012

Since my iPhone 5 manages 6/7 hours. (And no I'm not a apple fanboy) 3h is rubbish! My S3 managed just over 4h and i know the Z has a bigger screen and resolution but no excuse for putting small batterys in phones that have big screens and high res.

The iphone's "usage time" is not the same as the screen on time of android. The iPhone logs usage time anytime it does anything, like synching and such, weather the screen is on or not. Big difference. Not hating on anything, they are just different measurements

Reactions: ppau0822

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
The iphone's "usage time" is not the same as the screen on time of android. The iPhone logs usage time anytime it does anything, like synching and such, weather the screen is on or not. Big difference. Not hating on anything, they are just different measurements

But doesn't this method make those statistics a bit fake ? Never heard that iOS does it this way.

hebbe

Feb 21, 2008
But doesn't this method make those statistics a bit fake ? Never heard that iOS does it this way.

they don't care about true and reliable statistics! marketing is everything! a phone that lasts 20 hours of usage is better than a phone that does only 8, isn't?!

remember when they introduced copy, cut & paste in iOS3? revolutionary! the best phone and os around! everyone believed! that's marketing. my old sony ericsson phone from 2003 was capable of copy&paste, but they didn't shout it loud, because it seemed "natural" for them. :D

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
they don't care about true and reliable statistics! marketing is everything! a phone that lasts 20 hours of usage is better than a phone that does only 8, isn't?!

remember when they introduced copy, cut & paste in iOS3? revolutionary! the best phone and os around! everyone believed! that's marketing. my old sony ericsson phone from 2003 was capable of copy&paste, but they didn't shout it loud, because it seemed "natural" for them. :D

Ah yes. Apple is the master of presenting old things as new and revolutionary, things that has been in use for ages, they invented so many things like video calls, instant messaging, folders etc. :) Putting sarcasm aside, they have amazing marketing division - it's often false marketing, but its results are amazing ( then again, most companies lie to us, so it's not just Apple )

Since I rarely use more than 1,5 hours screen on time a day - I'll be more than happy if my phone lasts 48 hours, and from all the reviews it seems that with such usage - it will.

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005

Not sure I agree, it really depends on the device, for instance although I use my arc s more than my wife uses here iphone 4s here phone is out of juice faster. while it may or may not be the case that iOS is better in power management (and if it was ever the case if it is still today). the size of battery and the power consumption of the h/w is at least as important

Spectre51

maybe BBS interferes with Stamina mode?

I just installed it. All the previous stats were without it installed. And I don't have stamina mode enabled anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

since using it today I can definitely see something is eating the battery. Not sure what the media server is, but I'm thinking it had to do with the smart wireless headset pro I setup. Since I paired it to the phone the throw option had been present to toggle between using the headset for audio out phone speakers.

The actual media server settings for sharing to other devices is disabled. I'll keep paying with it today and post stats later including BBS stats.

This is BBS so far showing the phone isn't sleeping.

ybamuqe7.jpg

gugy5eba.jpg

Last edited:

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
It's an educated guess based on my experience today, but I think background audio playback (and some other playback stuff) falls in the Mediaserver category too. With all the delegation to other parts of the OS going on in Android it's not easy to keep track of what is doing what. I've listened to around 15 minutes of music on my Z so far (with Spotify), and I have around the same time listed for media server. Spotify actually had less time active.

Simple explanation: Spotify/Pandora are front-end apps. They download the data, present you a list of songs and manage playback. When you actually play a song they instruct one of the Android Mediaplayer classes (or something similar) to start playing this or that specific output stream in a service. When playing in the background it's probably the media server/Android media system that is handling the playback and keeping the device awake, which is why it might show up on the graphs.

(As another example, data usage for YouTube doesn't show up in the YouTube app but as Android System. Pretty weird but that's how the system works).

Last edited:

djq

Dec 10, 2012
www.websitemarketing.co
I just installed it. All the previous stats were without it installed. And I don't have stamina mode enabled anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

since using it today I can definitely see something is eating the battery. Not sure what the media server is, but I'm thinking it had to do with the smart wireless headset pro I setup. Since I paired it to the phone the throw option had been present to toggle between using the headset for audio out phone speakers.

The actual media server settings for sharing to other devices is disabled. I'll keep paying with it today and post stats later including BBS stats.

This is BBS so far showing the phone isn't sleeping.

usually the media server is a broken photo.....i know it has happened on two previous android devices...usually it happens with a picture sync (like facebook or dropbox) or a screenshot is taken but gets stuck in kind of a loop for whatever reason (i know this sounds crazy but it was my mediaserver problem both times)

usually what you can do is to just delete all the pictures and the mediaserver usage goes back to normal

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
usually the media server is a broken photo.....i know it has happened on two previous android devices...usually it happens with a picture sync (like facebook or dropbox) or a screenshot is taken but gets stuck in kind of a loop for whatever reason (i know this sounds crazy but it was my mediaserver problem both times)

usually what you can do is to just delete all the pictures and the mediaserver usage goes back to normal

Maybe you can clear the cache, i have had something similar with the download manager

Spectre51

Maybe you can clear the cache, i have had something similar with the download manager

I'll try removing all the photos and videos on the phone (had left all the stock ones it came loaded with) and see if that changes anything. Today more so than the past two days the battery is really draining fast. My friend's isn't draining like mine so it has to be something I loaded or one of the devices I paired it with.

Spectre51

So I watched it for a while and the media server never used much battery until I started playing Pandora then I saw it jump up in the battery usage. So it does look like background audio playback does show up as media server as well as Pandora. Still watching it today to see how things go.

Spectre51

Looks like my guesses are getting pretty good these days :p

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

:)

So after removing all the photos and videos from the device things seemed to have settled down. I haven't used it as much today but currently I am sitting at 10h 22m on battery with 1 h 51m on screen time with 58% of the battery left. Maps shows a keep awake for 48 minutes which seems like a lot to me since I haven't used the map app or anything that relies on it today that much.

I did have bluetooth off all day as well. Will have it on all day tomorrow with the smartwatch paired and will have the smart wireless headset pro connected for about an hour. Will see how it behaves once I connect those again.

Reactions: Jonathan_A

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium

Most apps that use GPS or embed maps somewhere (Facebook, Foursquare, ...) trigger a Maps wakelock that keeps the phone awake until it gets an accurate location or times out. Google Now might also trigger one when it decides you're probably in a different location and it wants an update, but I'm not sure about the last.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, any real battery tests by users?

Using the Z yesterday I had over 9 hrs of use with 3.5 hours with the screen on (about 20 minutes of that with full brightness, rest of the time I had it about half brightness), 4g data, wifi and bluetooth on all day, facebook and twitter syncing every hour, email every 30 minutes plus a gmail account for push email, gtalk running full time, about 6 accounts syncing also used the camera a little bit for burst shots before I plugged it in to charge when I went to bed. Still had around 20% left. That is without the stamina mode on or any other battery saving features.

This phone last so much longer than my ion or TL. I don't think there is an issue with battery life here.
    After using the phone for over a week now I can honestly say that:

- Lasts 6-8 hours of constant heavy use, as in toy-mode
    - Lasts 1 full day, as in 6:00 to 22:00 of heavy use
    - Lasts over 48 hours when used as a phone, as in 1-2 hours of mp3, texts, few phone calls

It could be better, battery life could always be better, but i'm pretty happy with it. It gets me through the day without worrying about saving energy - that's all I asked for.

Today's usage:

uploadfromtaptalk1361253848743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361253856641.jpg

Battery life is Decent,
    Screen according to the Docomo units and xiFIL is brilliant and nothing to be ashamed of, Viewing angles as proved in the Xperia Z screen discussion thread is not much oof a problem, although samxool likes to look at his phone sideways
    Battery is replaceable, just give it to Sony within the 2 years and they will change it for you if seomthing goes wrong, failing that i am sure guides will pop up how to remove the back cover
    terrible phone quality, DO NOt judge a phone when you have never used it,

HTC M7 HAD to be clocked higher with the SAME processor as Sense is laggy and slows the phone down,
    Samsung octa core propoganda clearly got to you, its 4 + 4 processor, two quads, they do not work together, only one quadcore will be active at any time,
    Out of all of the posts here, none had anything to do with the thread. It was all off topic. PLEASE guys, if someone says something that gets under your skin, don't respond to it, report it. Or just move on to another thread

Cleaned thread. Lets stay on topic