[Q] Chase Bank mobile app issues?

Search This thread

allthemalarkey19

Account currently disabled
Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
After rooting my device, unlocking the bootloader, and doing s-off, the Chase mobile app wouldn't let me use QuickDeposit. Whenever I clicked on "Take Picture," it'd send me back to the home screen of the app. I downloaded the RootCloak module thinking it was probably an issue with the Chase app not working properly on rooted devices, but that didn't do anything.

I decided to unroot my phone and lock my bootloader to see if that'd work, and well, now it works. If it works now, is there a reason the RootCloak module didn't do anything? Did the locked bootloader have anything to do with it possibly (something that maybe RootCloak can't hide to apps?).

Has anyone else had the same issue on their rooted device, and is there a solution to making QuickDeposit work on a rooted phone that I don't know about?

Last edited:

bakemcbride21

Sep 15, 2009
After rooting my device, unlocking the bootloader, and doing s-off, the Chase mobile app wouldn't let me use QuickDeposit. Whenever I clicked on "Take Picture," it'd send me back to the home screen of the app. I downloaded the RootCloak module thinking it was probably an issue with the Chase app not working properly on rooted devices, but that didn't do anything.

I decided to unroot my phone and lock my bootloader to see if that'd work, and well, now it works. If it works now, is there a reason the RootCloak module didn't do anything? Did the locked bootloader have anything to do with it possibly (something that maybe RootCloak can't hide to apps?).

Has anyone else had the same issue on their rooted device, and is there a solution to making QuickDeposit work on a rooted phone that I don't know about?

Hmmm...interesting....My Check/Mobile Deposit for PNC works on my M8 (S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted)....but I can certainly see a banking app running those checks to ensure the phone is secured as possible in order for it to be allowed to perform banking tasks.

Unfortunately I can't assist as I do not bank with Chase to verify the issue you are having.

meteron

Nov 21, 2010
Chicago

I have Chase. It has to be something other than root/unlock/S-Off... or if it is because of that, it is specific to the M8.
I have had Chase with a rooted HTC Evo (S-off), Thunderbolt (S-Off), Razr Maxx (rooted only), Razr Maxx HD (and the HD got unlocked before I switched phones), Droid DNA (S-off I believe, definitely rooted), Galaxy S4 (rooted and unlocked, then just rooted when my original phone died and was stuck with a new phone with a locked boot loader), and currently using a Note 3 (rooted) and I have no issues doing a quick deposit (The Galaxy line had a bug but has since been fixed, unrelated to root). The M8 I had (and is now on the second line of my account) is rooted but I am unsure if a check deposit has been attempted on it.
So I am 100% sure it is not because of the root/unlock/S-Off, BUT, it might be something to do with a new check that HTC does. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. :(

allthemalarkey19

Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
I have Chase. It has to be something other than root/unlock/S-Off... or if it is because of that, it is specific to the M8.
I have had Chase with a rooted HTC Evo (S-off), Thunderbolt (S-Off), Razr Maxx (rooted only), Razr Maxx HD (and the HD got unlocked before I switched phones), Droid DNA (S-off I believe, definitely rooted), Galaxy S4 (rooted and unlocked, then just rooted when my original phone died and was stuck with a new phone with a locked boot loader), and currently using a Note 3 (rooted) and I have no issues doing a quick deposit (The Galaxy line had a bug but has since been fixed, unrelated to root). The M8 I had (and is now on the second line of my account) is rooted but I am unsure if a check deposit has been attempted on it.
So I am 100% sure it is not because of the root/unlock/S-Off, BUT, it might be something to do with a new check that HTC does. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. :(

Hmm interesting. Would there be any way you could try it on the M8 that's on the second line of your account? You don't even have to have a check to deposit, you just have to click the "Take Picture" button on the QuickDeposit screen and see what happens. I'm going to try re-rooting my phone in a little bit to see if maybe it'll work this time.

meteron

Nov 21, 2010
Chicago
Hmm interesting. Would there be any way you could try it on the M8 that's on the second line of your account? You don't even have to have a check to deposit, you just have to click the "Take Picture" button on the QuickDeposit screen and see what happens. I'm going to try re-rooting my phone in a little bit to see if maybe it'll work this time.

Are you on 1.55.605.2? I believe that is the latest OTA. (?)

allthemalarkey19

Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
On a side note, does anyone know how to unlock the bootloader again? I locked it to test all this out, when I go back to try to unlock the bootloader, the firewater script says "there isn't a helluva lot to do here" since I'm already S-Off. If I recall correctly, the firewater script was to do S-Off and to unlock the bootloader, correct?

meteron

Nov 21, 2010
Chicago
On a side note, does anyone know how to unlock the bootloader again? I locked it to test all this out, when I go back to try to unlock the bootloader, the firewater script says "there isn't a helluva lot to do here" since I'm already S-Off. If I recall correctly, the firewater script was to do S-Off and to unlock the bootloader, correct?

That I cannot help with, as the owner of the phone does not want me to S-Off/unlock... so I can't be bad LOL.

allthemalarkey19

Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
And when you re-root it stops working again??

I'm using the WeakSauce temporary root for now, and it's still working. However, I'm still on a locked bootloader (I'm trying to figure out how to unlock it again since firewater says there's nothing to do). Once I get the unlocked bootloader back, I'm going to do a permanent root and try the Chase app again. If only I could figure out how to unlock the bootloader...

meteron

Nov 21, 2010
Chicago
I'm using the WeakSauce temporary root for now, and it's still working. However, I'm still on a locked bootloader (I'm trying to figure out how to unlock it again since firewater says there's nothing to do). Once I get the unlocked bootloader back, I'm going to do a permanent root and try the Chase app again. If only I could figure out how to unlock the bootloader...

Step 13 of this link (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708628) states this:

"When completely successfully, you now have S-OFF. Your phone's bootloader is also unlocked in the process; you do NOT need to perform any additional steps to unlock the bootloader. However, you do not have permanent root. The root that weaksuace provides goes away on reboot and must be reapplied again on startup."

Not sure if that helps or not.

allthemalarkey19

Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
Step 13 of this link (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708628) states this:

"When completely successfully, you now have S-OFF. Your phone's bootloader is also unlocked in the process; you do NOT need to perform any additional steps to unlock the bootloader. However, you do not have permanent root. The root that weaksuace provides goes away on reboot and must be reapplied again on startup."

Not sure if that helps or not.

The problem is that I've already used the firewater script in the past to unlock my bootloader and to get S-OFF. But, I had to relock my bootloader earlier today as part of my process to try to fix my Chase app issue. My phone is still S-OFF but has a locked bootloader now, so when I try to run the firewater script again, it sees that my phone is S-OFF already and says there's nothing more to do, leaving me with my bootloader still locked. I used a command prompt earlier to lock my bootloader, but can't find the command script that'll unlock it again.

wwevoxnj

Sep 20, 2011
New Jersey
I have an m7 and ever since updating the app I don't have quick deposit working either. So I think it's a problem with the app not the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

allthemalarkey19

Apr 24, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
Thanks for all the help guys. I figured out what the issue was. The SwipeBack module was the culprit. I uninstalled it and now it's working.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app