[Q] Has anyone successfully run Complete Linux Installer (or similar)

Search This thread

Graeme H

Jan 17, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get a full blown GNU distro of Linux running on my note pro but I've hit a snag. It seems like the device should support it, but every time I try to run a script that creates loopback devices, mounts directories, etc. I get permission errors even though I definitely have root.

Here's where it gets weird. Completel Linux installer fails when it tries to run this command:

Code:
mknod /dev/block/loop255 b 7 255

and it gives this error:

Code:
mknod: /dev/block/loop255: Operation not permitted

Despite what the error says, the script is being run as root. The app automatically opens the terminal and runs the command as root, but I also tried manually executing su and running the same script but the same error occurs.

As an experiment, I tried manually running just that one mknod commad and it works fine. In fact, if I manually execute every line in the bootscript.sh file it all seems to execute perfectly fine. But if I put the exact same mknod command into a .sh file and execute it like this:

Code:
> sh test.sh

Then it gives the same error. Interestingly, if I directly run mknod as a non-root user it does not give me the "Operation not permitted" error, instead it says "Permission denied". I tried some other apps like Debian Kit as well and they seem to give the same error.

Any ideas why it would matter whether I manually enter a command into the terminal or whether I execute the same command indirectly from a file? I tried other terminal apps as well and it made no difference.

Thanks.

pheyx

Feb 7, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm trying to get a full blown GNU distro of Linux running on my note pro but I've hit a snag. It seems like the device should support it, but every time I try to run a script that creates loopback devices, mounts directories, etc. I get permission errors even though I definitely have root.

Here's where it gets weird. Completel Linux installer fails when it tries to run this command:

Code:

and it gives this error:

Code:

Despite what the error says, the script is being run as root. The app automatically opens the terminal and runs the command as root, but I also tried manually executing su and running the same script but the same error occurs.

As an experiment, I tried manually running just that one mknod commad and it works fine. In fact, if I manually execute every line in the bootscript.sh file it all seems to execute perfectly fine. But if I put the exact same mknod command into a .sh file and execute it like this:

Code:
> sh test.sh

Then it gives the same error. Interestingly, if I directly run mknod as a non-root user it does not give me the "Operation not permitted" error, instead it says "Permission denied". I tried some other apps like Debian Kit as well and they seem to give the same error.

Any ideas why it would matter whether I manually enter a command into the terminal or whether I execute the same command indirectly from a file? I tried other terminal apps as well and it made no difference.

Thanks.

try source the script ,eg: . test.sh, this works but i don't know why.

Reactions: Graeme H

Graeme H

Jan 17, 2010
Good idea pheyx! That's a great workaround which basically solves my problem for now... or at least sends me on to the next problem :)

Thanks for you help.

pheyx

Feb 7, 2013
Good idea pheyx! That's a great workaround which basically solves my problem for now... or at least sends me on to the next problem :)

Thanks for you help.

I think I've found the reason. It's due to selinux. The selinux is set to enforced on android from 4.4. I flashed a kernel that sets selinux to permissive and it resolved the issue. Now the complete linux installer ran perfectly without modifying the scripts.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I think I've found the reason. It's due to selinux. The selinux is set to enforced on android from 4.4. I flashed a kernel that sets selinux to permissive and it resolved the issue. Now the complete linux installer ran perfectly without modifying the scripts.

how well is Linux running on it for you?

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

Redsandro

Jul 17, 2012
www.Redsandro.com
Yeah, how well is it running?

I guess it's out of the question both due to speed (Complete Linux Installer uses laggy VNC remote desktop) and hardware (I guess the stylus won't work pressure-sensitive-ish due to VNC), but I'd love to run MyPaint on NotePRO.

pheyx

Feb 7, 2013
how well is Linux running on it for you?

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

Yeah, how well is it running?

I guess it's out of the question both due to speed (Complete Linux Installer uses laggy VNC remote desktop) and hardware (I guess the stylus won't work pressure-sensitive-ish due to VNC), but I'd love to run MyPaint on NotePRO.

X Window performance is bad if using VNC, is better when using xsdl x server. Also can use fbdev(or fbturbo) native x server(and the cons is in either case must shutdown android stack),but I have no success using these two linux native x server

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

and it gives this error:

Code:

Code:
    > sh test.sh

Thanks.

try source the script ,eg: . test.sh, this works but i don't know why.