External Harddrives

Search This thread

=Boston=

Mar 31, 2008
with nexus media importer even if not rooted the way is easy to go, nexus 10 can read self powered hard drive without problems, but you should have a look on the external drive power consumption: with usb sticks there are no problems cause they don't need so much power, but on external drives it depends mainly by the Ah requested by the drive itself.
The speed is amazing, tried to stream a 2k resolution video from an external 2,5 hdd drive boxed with Usb 3.0, really no problems smooth as butter. The internal drive required almost 500mAh to work, and was fine. As soon as i replaced the internal drive with a more power eater one (about a 650mAh one) the external drive stopped to spin up and work.
So the point is the usb OTG is workin' amazing on the nexus 10 in stock rom too, but take a look on the external drive power requirements :good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
    I can confirm that the WD My Passport for Mac (500GB) was able to be powered by my Nexus 7, with a cheap chinese OTG cable, without any issue whatsoever.

Can't say if it will also work with a Nexus 10 or not, but I would assume there would be no issue.
    I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
    1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
    2- lacie external 3.5"
    3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.
    Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning :)
    I run a lacie p9300 SSD 120GB and it works without a powered hub with no issues. It does have problems reading the drive though when my battery level reaches ~20% but I think that is due to the n10 limiting power to the micro port as it tries to conserve battery power...which is why I bought a pogo cable.

Apparently the pogo stops drawing power when OTG is being used. Check out the threads on the pogo cable for more info. Not good...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD