On my 4th Nexus 7 and backlight bleed....

Search This thread

Manco123

Jul 16, 2012
So I exchanged my first Nexus 7 because 1 dead pixel (build date 2013.10), got my second one with horrible multitouch problems and several dead pixels (build date 2013.08), my third one with multitouch problems and 8 dead pixels! and dust under the screen (build date 2013.09) and now on my 4th one (build date 2013.10).

- no multitouch problems;

- hardware is perfect, no dust under screen, no scratches, nothing (the first nexus also had some dust under the front facing camera);

- no dead pixels;

- but...it has in my opinion al lot of screen bleeding :mad:

Now, the question is, should I return this unit, I have made some pics in the dark with 100% brightness, what do you guys think of it?

edit: the bleeding is always seen on a black background during the evening (when its dark with normal house lights on), not so much in daylight. However the bleeding is seen even on 20% or 30% brightness, only if I turn on the automatic brightness things get a little better and the bleeding is minimised to the point that I am less bothered by it. Ooh and when I look at it from a different (a rather extreme) angle it also changes, so I guess it is some sort of glow

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 803
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 872
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:

aresbv2000

Mar 18, 2009
Brasov
So I exchanged my first Nexus 7 because 1 dead pixel (build date 2013.10), got my second one with horrible multitouch problems and several dead pixels (build date 2013.08), my third one with multitouch problems and 8 dead pixels! and dust under the screen (build date 2013.09) and now on my 4th one (build date 2013.10).

- hardware is perfect, no dust under screen, no scratches, nothing (the first nexus also had some dust under the front facing camera);

- no dead pixels;

Now, the question is, should I return this unit, I have made some pics in the dark with 100% brightness, what do you guys think of it?

edit: the bleeding is always seen on a black background during the evening (when its dark with normal house lights on), not so much in daylight. However the bleeding is seen even on 20% or 30% brightness, only if I turn on the automatic brightness things get a little better and the bleeding is minimised to the point that I am less bothered by it. Ooh and when I look at it from a different (a rather extreme) angle it also changes, so I guess it is some sort of glow
Oh....c`mon dude...if you want perfect blacks buy something with AMOLED display.I had that backlight bleeding on my Nexus 4,LG G2,Acer CloudMobile and even on Nexus 7(2013).I think this is normal for IPS displays.It`s just my opinion.But i`ve never seen a IPS screen wich renders perfect blacks like AMOLED.On my Nexus 7(2013) the white spot on the black is not that evident.I will make some pictures when I get home and post them here just for comparison with your pictures.

Last edited:

Arthedes

Jan 9, 2011
Brummen

- no dead pixels;

I have blb in the exact same spots as you, but its less bright and i can not even see it when in a dark room.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
Somehow I don't believe what you're saying.
That much light bleed on 30% brightness? I call bull**** sorry to say.
It's on 100% brightness and it's on a black screen, what the hell did you expected? It's native to IPS screens so either live with it or guy buy a Samsung Tab 7.3 for 250€ with it's amazing hardware and screen. NOT.

Manco123

Jul 16, 2012
Somehow I don't believe what you're saying.
That much light bleed on 30% brightness? I call bull**** sorry to say.
It's on 100% brightness and it's on a black screen, what the hell did you expected? It's native to IPS screens so either live with it or guy buy a Samsung Tab 7.3 for 250€ with it's amazing hardware and screen. NOT.

Like I said in the first post "I have made some pics in the dark with 100% brightness, what do you guys think of it?"

The light bleed is indeed visible on 20% or 30% brightness, but of course less than with a 100% brightness. The problem is, everything besides auto-brightness makes it visible. Normally on my other android devices, I turn off auto brightness and leave the brightness on about 25% with the standard widget (with the half moon sign). But on my nexus, I can't do that. The statusbar is always washed out.

The first 3 units didn't have this much bleed, they had very little, not worth mentioning. Also, I am very aware of the fact what I can expect with IPS displays, AMOLED displays (like my galaxy nexus), TN displays (like in my Macbook) and PVA displays (like on my dell 2408fwp). The thing is, this light bleed on my nexus is very obvious and beyond normal. If the light bleed was not so visible under say 60%, I wouldn't care one bit.

The thing is I am very disappointed with the quality of the hardware. I have never in my life returned a gadget more than twice. Normally, if the first one wasn't good, the second one is almost certain perfect. Don't get me wrong, the nexus 7 is a awesome device! But these faulty units ruin it for me.

Last edited:

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
Like I said in the first post "I have made some pics in the dark with 100% brightness, what do you guys think of it?"

The light bleed is indeed visible on 20% or 30% brightness, but of course less than with a 100% brightness. The problem is, everything besides auto-brightness makes it visible. Normally on my other android devices, I turn off auto brightness and leave the brightness on about 25% with the standard widget (with the half moon sign). But on my nexus, I can't do that. The statusbar is always washed out.

The first 3 units didn't have this much bleed, they had very little, not worth mentioning. Also, I am very aware of the fact what I can expect with IPS displays, AMOLED displays (like my galaxy nexus), TN displays (like in my Macbook) and PVA displays (like on my dell 2408fwp). The thing is, this light bleed on my nexus is very obvious and beyond normal. If the light bleed was not so visible under say 60%, I wouldn't care one bit.

The thing is I am very disappointed with the quality of the hardware. I have never in my life returned a gadget more than twice. Normally, if the first one wasn't good, the second one is almost certain perfect. Don't get me wrong, the nexus 7 is a awesome device! But these faulty units ruin it for me.

I don't want to sound arrogant or an ass, but I'll tell you what the problem with these threads is(which are alot believe me), light bleed annoyance/any of the other known issues is a personal thing.

And, coming here asking for advice is worthless because it's subjective and won't resolve anything. Everything about your device is up to you or whoever else opens a thread. If you find it bothering, go trade it until you get a unit working fine. Afterall, you payed and you have the right to have a fully working device. If it doesn't bother you that much, don't trade but and don't open a thread about it.

It won't change a thing, whatever people tell you it won't mater.

Good luck.

Last edited:

1c3_5n0w

Apr 18, 2012
Singapore
Asus ZenFone 2
OnePlus 2
Hey, I had had 3 Nexus 7 2013s and all of them had light bleed. Even my iPhone 5 (bring on the hate bc i honestly hate my iPhone) has mild light bleed at 100% brightness on boot animation. My father had a Galaxy Note and he was used to flawless blacks and when he got an Xperia SP, he watches badminton matches at night and on loading screens, light leaked out from the sides. He went to Sony but they dismissed the problem

ritchea

You have to decide how much it bothers you. It's much more than mine (100% bright), but my touch screen isn't what I'd like (like my N5 or even my old Toshiba Thrive).

EDIT: This pic taken of the N7 with my N5 should show better. It is a black background with 100% brightness. Only slight bit of bleed across the top.

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_183419.jpg
    IMG_20140831_183419.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

1c3_5n0w

Apr 18, 2012
Singapore
Asus ZenFone 2
OnePlus 2
You have to decide how much it bothers you. It's much more than mine (100% bright), but my touch screen isn't what I'd like (like my N5 or even my old Toshiba Thrive).

You aren't supposed to take a screenshot. You're supposed to put your phone in a dark room and display a fully black pic at 100% brightness

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe bad batch? Mine made in August 2013, nothing wrong

Nam Huy Linux Blog namhuy.net