[Q] phone in constant rebooting.

Search This thread

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
I've had my phone for about two months now without any issues. I have it rooted with the stock rom. Today I was getting a red wifi calling notification. When I finally went to check it, it was error that said cannot start so I turned it off and back on to see if that would resolve anything. Since then my phone has been constantly rebooting. It comes on and stays on for about two minutes before rebooting again. I've been able to reach the settings and turn wifi calling off but that hasn't helped. I want to try to maybe disable the app or whatever runs it and try clearing it's data, so my question finally is does anyone know which app I would be looking for under all apps so I could give that a try.

cheasfridge

Aug 16, 2013
I've had my phone for about two months now without any issues. I have it rooted with the stock rom. Today I was getting a red wifi calling notification. When I finally went to check it, it was error that said cannot start so I turned it off and back on to see if that would resolve anything. Since then my phone has been constantly rebooting. It comes on and stays on for about two minutes before rebooting again. I've been able to reach the settings and turn wifi calling off but that hasn't helped. I want to try to maybe disable the app or whatever runs it and try clearing it's data, so my question finally is does anyone know which app I would be looking for under all apps so I could give that a try.

I'm having a very similar issue. Stock M8 running latest T-mobile firmware. Rooted. Flashed PhilzCWMtouch and now the phone reboots every 1-3 minutes. I flashed the original recovery via fastboot and it is still rebooting. Going to redownload the stock recovery and try flashing it again before I do a full restore. I really want to avoid that if possible.

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
I'm having a very similar issue. Stock M8 running latest T-mobile firmware. Rooted. Flashed PhilzCWMtouch and now the phone reboots every 1-3 minutes. I flashed the original recovery via fastboot and it is still rebooting. Going to redownload the stock recovery and try flashing it again before I do a full restore. I really want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the reply, but I gave up last night trying to fix it from the current state. I restored a nandroid from the previous week and used titanium to infuse data into already installed apps and restore missing apps. I do hope you find success in getting your issue to stop. I haven't had problem using TWRP on this phone, maybe give that a try

SciLove

Mar 23, 2014
Joplin
Thanks for the reply, but I gave up last night trying to fix it from the current state. I restored a nandroid from the previous week and used titanium to infuse data into already installed apps and restore missing apps. I do hope you find success in getting your issue to stop. I haven't had problem using TWRP on this phone, maybe give that a try
I finally was able to fix it after flashing twrp and then doing a wipe from there. then updated superSU and everything seems fine now. sorry about the different accounts. I need to delete that other one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014

Lemme ask you......... did you root your phone BEFORE or AFTER receiving any OTAs?

I have T-Mobile and the M8 too. I rooted my phone AFTER getting the OTA, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused all hell to break loose. My phone wasn't like yours at first, for weeks it would randomly go into Recovery mode............ but then this past week it started doing that: constantly rebooting. I didn't have a backup that was pre-root, only post-root (rookie mistake lol), so having to replace it now. Using the post-root is just a temporary fix as it can still go back to non-stop reboot at anytime, but the new phone comes in Tuesday.

Please let me know.

Good luck! (Not sure if that's you in the other post that said it's been fixed).

Thank You,

RockStar2005

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
Lemme ask you......... did you root your phone BEFORE or AFTER receiving any OTAs?

I have T-Mobile and the M8 too. I rooted my phone AFTER getting the OTA, and I'm pretty sure that's what caused all hell to break loose. My phone wasn't like yours at first, for weeks it would randomly go into Recovery mode............ but then this past week it started doing that: constantly rebooting. I didn't have a backup that was pre-root, only post-root (rookie mistake lol), so having to replace it now. Using the post-root is just a temporary fix as it can still go back to non-stop reboot at anytime, but the new phone comes in Tuesday.

Please let me know.

Good luck! (Not sure if that's you in the other post that said it's been fixed).

Thank You,

RockStar2005

I rooted preOTAs. Pretty much as soon I got the phone. I have been unsuccessful in stopping the problem as of yet but am going to RUU in a few minutes. Prior to this I've only tried factory resets from within the OS and from the bootloader wiping everything including data and external sd. Hope this RUU provides me some peace.

chattguy

Apr 15, 2011
Birmingham, AL
www.facebook.com
I rooted preOTAs. Pretty much as soon I got the phone. I have been unsuccessful in stopping the problem as of yet but am going to RUU in a few minutes. Prior to this I've only tried factory resets from within the OS and from the bootloader wiping everything including data and external sd. Hope this RUU provides me some peace.

It almost seems like this (my) phone hates to be rooted. As soon as I restore to pre-root backup, it's fine. I hate not being rooted.

Software No: 1.57.531.7

It did the constant reboot (after about 1 minute of being loaded) with both stock, rooted and with Skydragon 2.3 rom. Very irritating. It seems to happen when I unplug it from the charger or pc, while rebooting.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
It almost seems like this (my) phone hates to be rooted. As soon as I restore to pre-root backup, it's fine. I hate not being rooted.

It did the constant reboot (after about 1 minute of being loaded) with both stock, rooted and with Skydragon 2.3 rom. Very irritating. It seems to happen when I unplug it from the charger or pc, while rebooting.

I was having the same problems. I'm getting my replacement phone today. My current one is only working (for now) b/c I did a restore, but not far back enough for it to be working 100% right. I'm working with someone who might have a plan, so we'll see. He said he did everything, including root and S-OFF, and got Harman/Kardon sound too (on his non-Sprint phone). I'll post again here when I get more info. First gotta get my replacement phone. lol I had H/K but I think rooting it after the OTA messed it up, but we'll see. H/K did improve the sound, so I really want it back.

RockStar2005

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston

Mine too. I RUU'd back to stock and unlocked bootloader. Before anything else I made a backup. Rooted and the problem presented itself again. Restored backup but chose not to root and my phone has been fine thus far. Never used an android without root so this should be interesting.

chattguy

Apr 15, 2011
Birmingham, AL
www.facebook.com
Mine too. I RUU'd back to stock and unlocked bootloader. Before anything else I made a backup. Rooted and the problem presented itself again. Restored backup but chose not to root and my phone has been fine thus far. Never used an android without root so this should be interesting.

Yeah man, I hope they come up with a fix for it, I don't want to be unrooted forever.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014

He's working to help me out. Maybe he can fix your issue too? Still waiting for him to write me a guide for my specific issues, so can't verify anything, but sounds like he's helped a lot of ppl on here already. Check him out:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2718130

Good luck!

RockStar2005

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Yeah man, I hope they come up with a fix for it, I don't want to be unrooted forever.

He's working to help me out. Maybe he can fix your issue too? Still waiting for him to write me a guide for my specific issues, so can't verify anything, but sounds like he's helped a lot of ppl on here already. Check him out:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2718130

Good luck!

RockStar2005