[Dec 27] Ubuntu for HTC HD2 - v0.3 released

Search This thread

GuimbardePower

Dec 1, 2008
Somewhere in France
I cant test this release because I use an android nand rom...:(
Is the next rellease will support the magdlr? I think that will be better!

Ps: I'm sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm french...

Send from my hd2

payamspot

Mar 19, 2010
Tehran
ERROR

None of my apps in the Storage Card works now! getting this error:

"The file 'x' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. ..."

Any solution?

plopper

Dec 7, 2008
Unbelievable! Thank you so much.

booting android took less than 2 minutes for me.

None of my apps in the Storage Card works now! getting this error:

"The file 'x' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. ..."

Any solution?

this isn't android, it's ubuntu linux.
a totaly different flavour of linux and they aren't compatible.
try running programs which were made for ubuntu.

plopper

payamspot

Mar 19, 2010
Tehran
Sure it's Ubuntu. It was just a mistake of mine typing "android" instead of "ubuntu".

220962555.png

The problem still remains.
I decided to hard reset my phone, anyway.

and thanks for the reply, plopper.

Tokl

Sep 19, 2007
Heart of BW
Sure it's Ubuntu. It was just a mistake of mine typing "android" instead of "ubuntu".

220962555.png

I had the same problem!
Something (after Ubuntu has crashed i took out my battery, then it happens) has damaged the Security Warning system from Windows Mobile :mad:
Search google for the correct registry key: "disable windows mobile security warning" and disable this warning via registry editor.
After that my wm was running all programs again.
I was lucky to have an remote registry editor installed, since i wasnt able to start the one installed on device ( Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate....)

Good Luck!

Edit:
Here is an Link who explained what changes are to do:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/windows-m...arning-when-installing-non-certified-app.html

Last edited:

plopper

Dec 7, 2008

are you like toki running a stock rom?

make sure you close all running programs before launching ubuntu as winmo is closed in a very rude way.
this may have caused the problem.

plopper

Reactions: payamspot

HJ200

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 28, 2008
Actually we've got a interesting problem. First the HD2 had Windows Mobile 6.5, later Windows Mobile 6.5.x. Then some people started creating a Linux Kernel for it, which made it possible to run Android and Ubuntu. A lot of people switched to Android as it is faster and better supported. Later on, some genius developed MAGLDR so we didn't have to boot WinMo and boot Android directly using NAND.
But by getting a faster boot time we all abandoned Ubuntu, as it's no longer possible to load (at least for now). :p

Tokl

Sep 19, 2007
Heart of BW
are you like toki running a stock rom?

make sure you close all running programs before launching ubuntu as winmo is closed in a very rude way.
this may have caused the problem.

plopper

Hi,
i had similar probs (winmo files destruction) with costom Roms also.
I use cleanram level 2 and sense disabled (via mortscipt) before starting haret for android/ubuntu...
I think this is an generally problem of WM and not Ubuntu/Android!
even my touch hd and my prophet (wm5) had problems when they locked up and then take battery out...
Mostly happens:
-old (already deleted) sms comes back and you have to delete them again
-backlight setting falls back to 10 sec
-email accounts where destroyed (password lost or account lost complete)
-the security warning for starting programs destroyed
and on and on....

Again, i think this is an generally prob of wm because haret does kill wm apprupt, not an fault of ubuntu!

Anybody has an solution for preventing this?
(must be an force write all data and then close the registry, or something like that)

Greetz Tokl

plopper

Dec 7, 2008
Hi,
i had similar probs (winmo files destruction) with costom Roms also.
I use cleanram level 2 and sense disabled (via mortscipt) before starting haret for android/ubuntu...
I think this is an generally problem of WM and not Ubuntu/Android!
even my touch hd and my prophet (wm5) had problems when they locked up and then take battery out...
Mostly happens:
-old (already deleted) sms comes back and you have to delete them again
-backlight setting falls back to 10 sec
-email accounts where destroyed (password lost or account lost complete)
-the security warning for starting programs destroyed
and on and on....

Again, i think this is an generally prob of wm because haret does kill wm apprupt, not an fault of ubuntu!

Anybody has an solution for preventing this?
(must be an force write all data and then close the registry, or something like that)

Greetz Tokl

that sms part rang a bell here, i saw that happen here too.
since then i completely stopped using the sense method of sms-ing, didn't like it anyway, to teletubbie like.
and never happend since then.
how does mortscript close sense?
is it in a same rude way as haret closes winmo?
all the features you named seem to come from sense as far as i know, so that could cause the problem too.
beside updating sense, you could try maxsense.
if i remember correctly the maxsense package is a complete rewrite of sense, so you could try using that to see if the problem persists.
or offcourse some other form of rom (same winmo version as your stock rom), but without sense completly (and no tweaks at all).
this should illiminate sense out of the problem and show if it comes from winmo.

plopper

Tokl

Sep 19, 2007
Heart of BW
that sms part rang a bell here, i saw that happen here too.
since then i completely stopped using the sense method of sms-ing, didn't like it anyway, to teletubbie like.
and never happend since then.
how does mortscript close sense?
is it in a same rude way as haret closes winmo?
all the features you named seem to come from sense as far as i know, so that could cause the problem too.
beside updating sense, you could try maxsense.
if i remember correctly the maxsense package is a complete rewrite of sense, so you could try using that to see if the problem persists.
or offcourse some other form of rom (same winmo version as your stock rom), but without sense completly (and no tweaks at all).
this should illiminate sense out of the problem and show if it comes from winmo.

plopper

I used some parts of this:
Disabel UI for more Ram
(originally i found this way in an custom rom called goatrip;) )
The secret is to disable Sense in reg, then redraw todayscreen.
Then i added to start cleanram after that run clrcad and then haret.
After an reboot another script in WM autostart enable sense again ;)
but this all did not help...
As i sayd before those errors happening also on my old Touch hd and neo (both sadly without an good new version of sense - i like Sense :) ) so its WM itself...

So we need an way to force WM to save all files and (important) the registry.
Like at an normal shutdown... but without shutdown -> run haret;)

Maybe an Chef here has an idea how to manage this? :confused:

Greetz Tokl

plopper

Dec 7, 2008
I used some parts of this:
Disabel UI for more Ram
(originally i found this way in an custom rom called goatrip;) )
The secret is to disable Sense in reg, then redraw todayscreen.
Then i added to start cleanram after that run clrcad and then haret.
After an reboot another script in WM autostart enable sense again ;)
but this all did not help...
As i sayd before those errors happening also on my old Touch hd and neo (both sadly without an good new version of sense - i like Sense :) ) so its WM itself...

So we need an way to force WM to save all files and (important) the registry.
Like at an normal shutdown... but without shutdown -> run haret;)

Maybe an Chef here has an idea how to manage this? :confused:

Greetz Tokl

can you post your modified script pls, cause from the looks of this example it doesn't close anything.
all the kill lines are commented out, sense just gets pushed to the background.
the best would be a bootloader which starts ubuntu, like dcordes allready suggested.
we have to find a method to generate more hours per day for him. lol
edit the source of his day and rebuild world. (linux geek joke)

plopper

Tokl

Sep 19, 2007
Heart of BW
can you post your modified script pls, cause from the looks of this example it doesn't close anything.
all the kill lines are commented out, sense just gets pushed to the background.
the best would be a bootloader which starts ubuntu, like dcordes allready suggested.
we have to find a method to generate more hours per day for him. lol
edit the source of his day and rebuild world. (linux geek joke)

plopper

Hi,
here is the Original Script: Source (German Language)
You need to have to install MortScript and CleanRam before you can use this!

This is the MortScript Code to Start:

Code:
RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\HTC Sense", "Enabled", 0)
RedrawToday
RunWait( "\Storage Card\Programme\htcAddicts cleanRAM\htcAddicts_cleanRAM.exe")
Run( "\Storage Card\Linux\haret.exe" )

And this is the Code to put in Autostart folder for automatically re enable Sense after reboot:

Code:
RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "Software\Microsoft\Today\Items\HTC Sense", "Enabled", 1)
RedrawToday

Maybe it is necessary to adjust the paths for your device...

This all is not my Work! All thanks go to the original Developer.
Maybe someone can create an new Logo for Ubuntu and repack this as an cab so dcordes can put this to the first post,
so everybody has an nice Startmenu entry for starting Ubuntu;)
And of course a little saver WM:D

Greetz Tokl

Ah,
and i dont want an bootloader version, so i have the choice of running multible OS out of StorageCard on my HD2 instead of only 1 .... :(
(or did i get something wrong:confused:)

payamspot

Mar 19, 2010
Tehran
I had the same problem!
Something (after Ubuntu has crashed i took out my battery, then it happens) has damaged the Security Warning system from Windows Mobile :mad:
Search google for the correct registry key: "disable windows mobile security warning" and disable this warning via registry editor.
After that my wm was running all programs again.
I was lucky to have an remote registry editor installed, since i wasnt able to start the one installed on device ( Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate....)

Good Luck!

Edit:
Here is an Link who explained what changes are to do:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/windows-m...arning-when-installing-non-certified-app.html
I hard-reseted my phone and it was OK. Today, again the same problem (without rinning Ubuntu!). Unfotunately I don't have any Registry Editor installed. I found this:
http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Mobile-Registry-Editor-Download-10636.html
and istalled, and I found the registry is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies
which should be set to 1, but "Access Denied"! :(

Tokl

Sep 19, 2007
Heart of BW
I hard-reseted my phone and it was OK. Today, again the same problem (without rinning Ubuntu!). Unfotunately I don't have any Registry Editor installed. I found this:
http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Mobile-Registry-Editor-Download-10636.html
and istalled, and I found the registry is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies
which should be set to 1, but "Access Denied"! :(

No, the default ROM.

P.S. Is there any way to get notified when there is a reply to my post?

I use Pocket Controller Pro (of course you have it to be installed before this happens... :rolleyes:)
Then you are able to remote edit the Registry of WM via an PC (with Admin Rights ;) ).

Default ROM = Stock ROM ;)

Click on Tread Tools (above in this Tread), then on Subscribe Tread :)

Greetz Tokl

Reactions: payamspot

sivashsay

Nov 30, 2010
hi all ,
please say how can we run USB mouse or keyboard in ubuntu 0.3 ( this versio )!
this is hard to run , i can not run mouse in this version !
thx all !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ubuntu for the HTC HD2 version 0.3

This is the new v0.3 release of Ubuntu for the HTC HD2 I announced a while ago on twitter.

Ubuntu is a full Linux distribution - and it's not designed for smartphones. But with the large touchscreen, high display resolution and fast system speed of the HTC HD2 I decided to make Ubuntu easily available to HD2 end users!
    This is not a secret warez ROM proprietary junk. Source code information below ! Wiki use for contribution purposes is highly encouraged! You can find all information needed to reconstruct my builds there.

The interest seems large enough so you can expect an improved version 0.4 :
    -The no-menu problem will be solved
    -It will be bootable via cotulla's MAGLDR and HaRET (Handhelds Revers Engineering Tool)

beta closed!! please do not in quire any longer.
    => I am looking for people to test a 0.4 beta version soon as I'm done. If you are interested please direct message or @ me via twitter @htc_linux as I will send the beta download link there.

Features

* You can get online using 3G and WiFi
    * Attach all kinds of USB devices like mice, keyboards, flash drives, card readers, networking devbices, etc. to turn your HD2 into a full PC
    * Use full desktop like web browser without the usual limitations found in smartphone browsers
    * Use instant messaging
    * Watch videos
    * Handle text messages and make calls (without sound so far)
    * Install thousands of programs for your internet experience, office needs, social networking fun, etc.
    * Be cooler because you have something special on your phone!

It is difficult to create a release like this as opposed to all the Android builds for the HD2.
    Technical background to this:

The Linux kernel we ported to the HD2 is originally designed for use with Android user space (because we based our work on the Linux kernels of official Android devices) and Ubuntu is originally designed for large laptop or desktop computers.
    This means many workarounds on kernel and user space level must be made in order to make this usable.
    Despite lots of work not all problems could be tackled yet: Audio and suspend/resume do not work as of v0.3 and it is a bit tricky to navigate.

http://oe.netripper.com/files/hd2-ubuntu_0.3.zip.torrent
    md5sum hd2-ubuntu_0.3.zip aa7ad65d247594e95bb7abe2e7aa7688
    You can run an Md5sum program on your download. If you get the above hash you have a 100% trusted release.

Direct mirror: ( Torrent usage encouraged. )
    http://hotfile.com/dl/92426365/63801e6/hd2-ubuntu_0.3.zip.html thx to shah_vm
    Additional direct mirrors welcome.

If you like it you can buy me a beer

Posted from my HD2 via firefox-3 on hd2-ubuntu-0.3 :cool:

Thanks to Jaxbot (from windowsphonehacker website) for shooting this video!
    Additional pics / videos welcome

INSTALL
    ######

1)Extract the linux folder to the main directory(!) of your Storage Card.
    If the linux folder is not located in the main directory of the Card,
    it will not work.
    Note: This will not touch your phone's internal memory. WinMo or other Linux/Android builds remain unchanged.

QUICKSTART
    #########

1) Save all your current work and start the HaRET exectuable to boot Linux.
    2) Watch the system boot up fully until you see a graphical desktop interface.
    3) It is useful to set the CPU speed up for better performance. Tap the CPU speed meter in the mid of top bar.
    4) Use shutdown icon in the home menu to bring the system down savely.
    Enjoy!

TUTORIAL VIDEO
    ############
    Thanks to Jaxbot for shooting this video

SIGNIFICANT CHANGES
    ##################
    Please read the attached and included readme.txt for detailed information.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick basis
    -optimized for our hd2 CPU
    -large performance improvement
    -up to date app versions
    -new graphical interface

Better connectivity
    -3 modes to interact via USB selectable
    -file transfer and interactive shell via ADB and USB ETHERNET (ssh)
    -USB HOST mode to connect thousands of peripheral devices like keyboards, mice, usb mass storage devices.

Improved drivers
    -Backlight control
    -Battery charging and state reading

IMPORTANT NOTES
    ##############
    -There is a known problem with the menu not appearing so you will only see a single icon on a normal desktop instead of the fancy menu seen above. You can fix it as explained below.
    -There is still no audio in calls and generally due to lack fo ALSA driver for hd2.
    -The hardware keys don't work
    -No screen rotation added
    -The battery % can only be read via shortcut. Icon will always show low state

Please do not report these problems.

In case you are affected by the no-menu problem here is a quick fix:
    Add the 'main menu' in the top panel in order to start apps:

-Tap and hold a free spot in the top panel for like 3 secs (note that the area between the left and middle icons is not free s1pace but the window picker) and release the cursor. This is supposed to simulate right click. It is a big tricky..
    -A drop down menu should appear
    -Select add to panel
    -Drag the 'main menu' item to the panel
    -You can now start programs and edit settings.
    a)In settings menu select session settings and make 'Ubuntu netbook 2d' session default settings menu. Only drawback is you can't add programs to the panel in it.
    b)Go to 'startup applications' and try raising the delay in seconds for nbl (netbook-launcher-efl) to start.

Let me know if you get the workaround going in case you were affected

DEVELOPERS' CORNER
    ################

I documented the most important stuff about 'Ubuntu for HD2' in the htc-linux wiki. With that information you can rebuild it from scratch - or implement other OS like meego, kubuntu, etc.
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ubuntu/Leo
    Some parts are not yet updated to match the 0.3 status but I hope I can do it soon.

Get the Linux kernel souce code:
    git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git htc-msm-2.6.32

Compile Linux kernels for your HTC
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=QuickDeveloperStartGuide#Kernel
    http://www.multiupload.com/BQPKC7PPHF

Mirror to ease server loads, should be up soon. :)
    Here is screenshot:

SsM7x.jpg
    Hey guys,
    yesterday i finally found the time to try out the fix posted a couple pages before in this thread. And since there were many requests to write a guide on how to boot ubuntu 0.3 with magldr and nand android, i wanna share the following. please notice, that you wont be able to use the touchscreen or the hardware keys. at this time i dont know what causes this problem, but the only way to input ubuntu on my htc hd2 was through a hardware mouse.

Guide to get ubuntu 0.3 running with magldr and nand android:

1. first of all download all the required stuff ... ubuntu 0.3 (first thread) is needed, linit.zip (look at the attachments of this post) and if you not allready have a linux distribution, download a ubuntu or opensuse livecd on distrowatch.com or somewhere else

2. now unzip hd2-ubuntu_0.3.zip and linit.zip to whatever folder you like.
    rename a zimage of your choice to "zImage", rename "initrd.cpio.gz" to "initrd.gz", put your zimage and initrd.gz to the root of your sdcard. all the other files inside hd2-ubuntu_0.3.zip belong into /linux

3. open up your terminal and execute the following command to gain root rights: "sudo -s" if your on ubuntu or simple as can be "su" on other distributions.

4. mount your ext2 image: to do so, execute the following commands:
    a. "mkdir /mnt/ext2" (creates a folder ext2 in your mnt folder)
    b. "mount /path/to/your/image/rootfs.ext2 /mnt/ext2 -o loop"
    (mounts the image rootfs.ext2 to the previously created folder)

5. now the command "mount -l" should be listing your image ("/dev/loop0") as mounted, followed by the directory "/mnt/ext2" where it has been mounted in

6. now you can access the mounted image with the following command:
    "cd /mnt/ext2" (changes directory to "/mnt/ext2")
    "ls" (shows you the content of the mounted image)

7. after that you need to copy the "linit"-file to the bin directory of the mounted image with the following command:
    "cp /path/to/linit/file/linit /mnt/ext2/bin" (copys your linit file)
    "ls /mnt/ext2/bin" (should now show you the linit file inside the binfolder)

8. the last step to success is the following:
    open up "/mnt/ext2/etc/rc.local" with your favorite text editor. you could use kwrite or vim, and edit the following:
    before editing rc.local looks something like this:
    # stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff

exit 0

after editing rc.local should look like this:

# stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff
    # stuff

/bin/linit >> /var/log/linitlog
    exit 0

dont forget to save rc.local

9. now you can unmount the rootfs.ext2 image again by executing
    "umount /dev/loop0"

10. congratz your rootfs.ext2 image has been successfully edited and the reboot loop problem should be fixed. you can check if "linit" is being executed correctly by reading the "/var/log/linitlog"- logfile. of course you need to mount your image again before being able to access the logfile.

please gimme some feedback on this guide since i dont know if i forgot something or made a mistake.

greetz :)