How to unlock Samsung Infuse 4G i997

Search This thread

Vegaslightsss

Apr 26, 2008
I keep getting a "cannot write,no such file or directory,done the process from begining to end ,tried while connected to pc with debugging on/off ,searched everywhere,no .bak file anywhere.....I am on Serendipity VII ( WHICH I LOVE). Except for the Email notifications with Live Mail.If anyone has any experience with this I figured it is because of Gingerbread,I am on ATT anyway so not like its a pressing issue,Just wanted to do it because "it's there" Thanks,Vegas

the_hustleman

Jun 27, 2010
I just finished this, borrowed a friends SIM card on t-mobile and had to come back to say THANK YOU!!!

Worked like a charm, this is my first unlock.

My wife wants Straight Talk, is there a certain phone or SIM to use to get it to work on this?

and how would I go about getting it?

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008
I got this link from your post by sanfranx415. But sanfranx415 use "32". With this value, I still need to scroll.

It would be nice if you add:
In 010 Hex Editor go to the Menus >View > Linefeed > Select "Fixed Auto"

With this setting you don't need to scroll to the right. It will give full screen.

Thanks

malayalapenkutti

Sep 22, 2011
Is there a way to call AT&T and ask for the unlock code? I usually do that with tmobile, I tell them I have to get out of the country and they'll email me the unlock code the next day....

Sent from my Samsung Infuse - Infused 1.5

I will help you to unlock the Mobile phone from Network Lock....Yes You can call AT&T and ask for UNLOCK CODE,But they will ask to wait for 30 days i think..You need to Unlock it immediately means you can get the unlock code from Online sites and unlock it...You can get the unlock code from the site Classicunlocking.com and unlock it..

Last edited:

144saint

Dec 28, 2010
lets say i unlock this. I put it on Tmobile. Would I get 4G since they both have hspa+? Or is that a different bandwith?

esuohe

Aug 1, 2011
Montreal
Worked! Some tips

There were a few 01234567 strings thrown in there for me. Turns out, this wasn't my code (tried it once). Ended up finding my real code 9-10 results further.

Also, to quickly "Find Next" matched value(s), hit F3.

igotdez

May 30, 2011
why wont hex let me select linefeed? help please

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

nvm got it thanks!

NSAgent

Nov 13, 2009
Mods I got these instructions from xda but I sort of made them non-technical for those who are new to unlocking, etc. It is my site and if you want to remove the instructions then that's okay and I understand. I borrowed heavily from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1093476 and I've given credit.

--------------HOW TO UNLOCK SAMSUNG 4G i997---------------------

Hello, I will give you step by step instructions on how to unlock your Samsung Infuse 4G or Samsung i997 so you can use it on T-Mobile. I will give full credit to sanfranx415 from xda forums but I wanted to do things a little different and I want to make the process a little more user friendly and less technical. We all get there eventually and I want to be has helpful as possible.

Step 1) Remember, your phone must be rooted. If your phone is already rooted and has a program called Superuser in the menu then slip Step 1. If not, here's a link http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-samsung-infuse-4g-on-android-2-2-with-superoneclick/ and if it ever goes down remember the program is called Superoneclick. Google it, download it and make sure your phone is in usb debugging mode, connect it to your computer while superoneclick is open and click root. It's that simple

Step 2) On your computer (not the phone), install a program called "010 Hex editor". Don't have to register Link is http://www.sweetscape.com/download/download_010editor.html . Remember you're installing this on your computer, not phone.

Step 3) On your phone go to the market and install terminal emulator https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en . If the link changes just search for Terminal Emulator in Google. Remember you're installing this on your phone, not computer. Remember root must be installed, REMEMBER STEP 1?, for this program to work.

Step 4) On your phone, open up terminal emulator and you will see a blue screen. Don't be scared. I want you to correctly type the following EXACTLY...
TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
cd /dev/block
(then press enter)
---------------------------
TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
su
(then press enter, now your phone might ask for superuser permission, ALLOW it or say YES. You may not have to do this step, if it asked you before)
----------------------------
Now you will do one of the following below. Pay attention.
IF YOU HAVE AN EXTERNAL SD CARD TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/external_sd/bml3.bak
(then press enter)

IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN EXTERNAL SD CARD TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/bml3.bak
(then press enter)

Step 5) Now, find the file on your External SD card or Internal Storage depending on your situation and transfer it to your computer. If you don't know how to find the file. Plug your phone up and enable Mass Storage or Connect USB Storage. I won't baby you on how to find it. It should be somewhere on your phone or external SD card if you did step 4 correctly. Transfer that bml3.bak file to your computer. I recommend the desktop so will always know where it's at. You can delete it later if you want. So transfer it to somewhere on your computer.

Step 6) On your computer, open up 010 Hex Editor

Step 7) IMPORTANT: In 010 Hex Editor go to the Menus at the top and select VIEW then LINEFEEDS then SELECT CUSTOM, now SET YOUR BYTES TO "32" Nothing Less. If you don't do this, you won't find your unlock code. Do it.

Step 8) While you're in 010 Hex Editor, click Open and locate the bml3.bak file you created and open it. There will be a bunch of letters, numbers or whatever, ignore them for now.

(CREDIT TO FR0Z3N FOR CLARIFYING THE FOLLOWING 2 STEPS)

Step 9) Now press CTRL+F on your keyboard to search for a hex string. Now a box that says Find should pop up and when the search window pops up select "Hex bytes (h)" in the Type field by pushing the down arrow and then search for the following string below:

"FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" ALL TOGETHER WITH NO SPACES, Then Hit the FIND ALL button to the right, some of you will get many results and others up to 10 results on your screen below (not mine, someone else's computer)

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/step.jpg

Step 10) Now, if you look at your Hex editor there are 3 window panes on the selected line (See Image Below, my computer). IMPORTANT: scroll to the right using the scroll bar that's in the bottom, middle of the screen. You should see three windows panes.

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/laster.jpg

Step 11) This is where a lot of people are getting confused. So pay attention. Now, Do you see where it says Address Size and Value? Click the text or results under it and ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE your scroll bar right above it is all the way to the right. It's important because when you click it your computer will try to bring the scroll bar to the left. So click it, and scroll to the right.

Step 12) Go through each result from the above search and you will see on the 3rd window pane (as shown on pic above) after the hex keys there is an 8 DIGIT CODE (Write this code Down) this is your unlock code NCK for your phone. Write it down somewhere NOW!!

Sidenote from Sanfranx415: SCAN THROUGH EACH RESULT AND YOU WILL SEE THAT IN YOUR RESULTS SOME OF YOU MAY GET UP TO 3 DIFFERENT 8 DIGIT CODES WRITE THEM ALL DOWN NORMALLY THE 8 DIGIT CODE THAT APPEARS THE MOST WILL BE THE ONE THAT UNLOCKS YOUR PHONE THE OTHER CODES MAY BE YOUR FREEZE CODE BUT I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET THIS 8 DIG CODE SHOULD SHOW ON AT-LEAST ONE MORE RESULT CHECK ALL YOUR RESULTS FROM THE SEARCH ABOVE( SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE YOUR CODE SHOWN AT-LEAST 2 TIMES AND SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE THE CODE SHOW MORE THAN 4 TIMES) YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY EVEN UP TO 39 RESULTS AGAIN SCAN THROUGH ALL RESULTS

Step 13) Okay, welcome back. Now I recommend that you take out your AT&T sim or whatever sim is in there, THEN turn off your phone. Insert the T-Mobile or other carrier sim card

Step 14) Turn on the phone and when you do you'll be prompted to enter a Network Unlock Control Key. Use the code that you received in step 12. You should have written it down somewhere like I instructed you.

Step 15) After you enter your NCK or Network Unlock Control Key hit Unlock, Yes, Go or whatever it says to proceed and it should say "network unlock successful"

VIOLA!!! Your Samsung Infuse 4G is now unlocked from AT&T.
Credit to: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1093476

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/07/...nlock-codes-samsung-i997-unlock-instructions/

Wait, so I HAVE to have a at&t sim in it to do the unlock??

str4wb3rry

Dec 2, 2008
San Diego
Yea i believe you have to have been a customer for a minimum of 5 years and if they do give you the unlock code, if/when approved you'll receive it in 24-48 hrs and you need to sign a separate contract, promising you'll be a lifetime customer of AT&T&T. Or something to that affect. Sounds about right for AT&T...

i do it all the time...no problems. the phone just usually takes like a year or a few months less then from it was released before ATT will give you the code...

THRiLL KiLL

May 11, 2010
a step you are missing that may help people:

between steps 6 and 7:

Open the .bak file by going to file >> open file and selecting the bml.bak file.

With out this step, step #7 is a bit confusing as its greyed out

hsuwal

Mar 26, 2011
Thnaks it works

THANKS It works, I unlocked my Samsung Infuse, Now I can use phone with any other carrier.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mods I got these instructions from xda but I sort of made them non-technical for those who are new to unlocking, etc. It is my site and if you want to remove the instructions then that's okay and I understand. I borrowed heavily from

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1093476 and I've given credit.

--------------HOW TO UNLOCK SAMSUNG 4G i997---------------------

Hello, I will give you step by step instructions on how to unlock your Samsung Infuse 4G or Samsung i997 so you can use it on T-Mobile. I will give full credit to sanfranx415 from xda forums but I wanted to do things a little different and I want to make the process a little more user friendly and less technical. We all get there eventually and I want to be has helpful as possible.

Step 1) Remember, your phone must be rooted. If your phone is already rooted and has a program called Superuser in the menu then slip Step 1. If not, here's a link http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-root-samsung-infuse-4g-on-android-2-2-with-superoneclick/ and if it ever goes down remember the program is called Superoneclick. Google it, download it and make sure your phone is in usb debugging mode, connect it to your computer while superoneclick is open and click root. It's that simple

Step 2) On your computer (not the phone), install a program called "010 Hex editor". Don't have to register Link is http://www.sweetscape.com/download/download_010editor.html . Remember you're installing this on your computer, not phone.

Step 3) On your phone go to the market and install terminal emulator https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en . If the link changes just search for Terminal Emulator in Google. Remember you're installing this on your phone, not computer. Remember root must be installed, REMEMBER STEP 1?, for this program to work.

Step 4) On your phone, open up terminal emulator and you will see a blue screen. Don't be scared. I want you to correctly type the following EXACTLY...
    TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
    cd /dev/block
    (then press enter)
    ---------------------------
    TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
    su
    (then press enter, now your phone might ask for superuser permission, ALLOW it or say YES. You may not have to do this step, if it asked you before)
    Now you will do one of the following below. Pay attention.
    IF YOU HAVE AN EXTERNAL SD CARD TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
    dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/external_sd/bml3.bak
    (then press enter)

IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN EXTERNAL SD CARD TYPE THE FOLLOWING:
    dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/bml3.bak
    (then press enter)

Step 5) Now, find the file on your External SD card or Internal Storage depending on your situation and transfer it to your computer. If you don't know how to find the file. Plug your phone up and enable Mass Storage or Connect USB Storage. I won't baby you on how to find it. It should be somewhere on your phone or external SD card if you did step 4 correctly. Transfer that bml3.bak file to your computer. I recommend the desktop so will always know where it's at. You can delete it later if you want. So transfer it to somewhere on your computer.

Step 6) On your computer, open up 010 Hex Editor

Step 7) IMPORTANT: In 010 Hex Editor go to the Menus at the top and select VIEW then LINEFEEDS then SELECT CUSTOM, now SET YOUR BYTES TO "32" Nothing Less. If you don't do this, you won't find your unlock code. Do it.

Step 8) While you're in 010 Hex Editor, click Open and locate the bml3.bak file you created and open it. There will be a bunch of letters, numbers or whatever, ignore them for now.

(CREDIT TO FR0Z3N FOR CLARIFYING THE FOLLOWING 2 STEPS)

Step 9) Now press CTRL+F on your keyboard to search for a hex string. Now a box that says Find should pop up and when the search window pops up select "Hex bytes (h)" in the Type field by pushing the down arrow and then search for the following string below:

"FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" ALL TOGETHER WITH NO SPACES, Then Hit the FIND ALL button to the right, some of you will get many results and others up to 10 results on your screen below (not mine, someone else's computer)

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/step.jpg

Step 10) Now, if you look at your Hex editor there are 3 window panes on the selected line (See Image Below, my computer). IMPORTANT: scroll to the right using the scroll bar that's in the bottom, middle of the screen. You should see three windows panes.

http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/laster.jpg

Step 11) This is where a lot of people are getting confused. So pay attention. Now, Do you see where it says Address Size and Value? Click the text or results under it and ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE your scroll bar right above it is all the way to the right. It's important because when you click it your computer will try to bring the scroll bar to the left. So click it, and scroll to the right.

Step 12) Go through each result from the above search and you will see on the 3rd window pane (as shown on pic above) after the hex keys there is an 8 DIGIT CODE (Write this code Down) this is your unlock code NCK for your phone. Write it down somewhere NOW!!

Sidenote from Sanfranx415: SCAN THROUGH EACH RESULT AND YOU WILL SEE THAT IN YOUR RESULTS SOME OF YOU MAY GET UP TO 3 DIFFERENT 8 DIGIT CODES WRITE THEM ALL DOWN NORMALLY THE 8 DIGIT CODE THAT APPEARS THE MOST WILL BE THE ONE THAT UNLOCKS YOUR PHONE THE OTHER CODES MAY BE YOUR FREEZE CODE BUT I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET THIS 8 DIG CODE SHOULD SHOW ON AT-LEAST ONE MORE RESULT CHECK ALL YOUR RESULTS FROM THE SEARCH ABOVE( SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE YOUR CODE SHOWN AT-LEAST 2 TIMES AND SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE THE CODE SHOW MORE THAN 4 TIMES) YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY EVEN UP TO 39 RESULTS AGAIN SCAN THROUGH ALL RESULTS

Step 13) Okay, welcome back. Now I recommend that you take out your AT&T sim or whatever sim is in there, THEN turn off your phone. Insert the T-Mobile or other carrier sim card

Step 14) Turn on the phone and when you do you'll be prompted to enter a Network Unlock Control Key. Use the code that you received in step 12. You should have written it down somewhere like I instructed you.

Step 15) After you enter your NCK or Network Unlock Control Key hit Unlock, Yes, Go or whatever it says to proceed and it should say "network unlock successful"

VIOLA!!! Your Samsung Infuse 4G is now unlocked from AT&T.
    Credit to: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1093476

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/07/...nlock-codes-samsung-i997-unlock-instructions/
    I had a different experience so I thought I would share it.

My wife has a Samsung Infuse which I recently flashed with the 9/14 Unofficial CM10 JB build. I followed the steps detailed by trae4nato and here is what I ran into:

First, my phone didn't have a /dev/block/bml3. It had a bml12, which I think represented the modem. I tried doing the command with bml2, but the generated file was about 15 MB in size and it didn't have the "FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" address. I was basically stuck.

After some research, I noticed people grabbed the \efs\root\afs\settings\nv_data.bin instead, which is 256KB in size. So I grabbed that and searched for the address "FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" and it found a single instance of the 8 digit code.

I tried that as the unlock code and it worked! I got the "network unlock successful" message afterwards. Phewwwww.

I rebooted the phone with the non-AT&T SIM card (Zain) and it no longer gave the SIM Unlock dialog. Looks like my wife's good to travel with this thing. *crossing fingers*
    Don't pay the $40. Slap him instead for being a thief.

From my experience this is best done on stock 2.3.6.

CM10.2 (and other JB ROMs) have switched things around in the internal SD card directories. I am not smart enough to figure out what exactly has been done.

qkster will be the most helpful person in this matter if you cannot contact trae4nato (OP) or sanfranx415.

No matter how you do it make sure to back up a copy of the efs folder in case you lose the IMEI.

Hope this helps.

Got a problem...
    i997, CM10.2. Couldn't find bml3 file, but DID find a bml12 file inside /dev/block.
    I enter the search string into 010 and come up with NO matches.
    NEED to figure this out...dude at the cell store wants $40 to do it.
    ANY help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!
    PoX
    What I did to unlock my infuse before I sold it was this...downloaded sgs unlocker pro, opens it choose sgs 4G/vibrant 4G, clicked unlock and it did it...the app costs $5 though...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA
    Is there a way to call AT&T and ask for the unlock code? I usually do that with tmobile, I tell them I have to get out of the country and they'll email me the unlock code the next day....

Sent from my Samsung Infuse - Infused 1.5