MA6 OTA!!!!

Search This thread

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
4.1.2 is not even worth the trouble or talk about 4.2 is what we need to be talking about

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3

So talk about it? Maybe using proper spelling and use of punctuation next time.

There's no use in complaining about not having 4.2 officially. It'll get here when it gets here, and if you want it badly enough, there's CM.

I swear, only thing I ever read on here now is people complaining...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
So talk about it? Maybe using proper spelling and use of punctuation next time.

There's no use in complaining about not having 4.2 officially. It'll get here when it gets here, and if you want it badly enough, there's CM.

I swear, only thing I ever read on here now is people complaining...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Why even mention his spelling and/or grammar? Seems like his point still came across. Seems redundant to complain about something, while posting to not complain about something.

Reactions: FLBoy1991
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone have an issue with form data in their browser after updating? For example, if I start typing Street with just St it gives me the option in the form to fill Street, but it fills it as StStreet. If I type Str it will do StrStreet. I'm not talking about the keyboard suggestions. It only affects saved form data.

I am having this issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Reactions: FLBoy1991

SprintGalSII

Dec 2, 2012
Tampa
The problem with the feature is someone put it there but "forgot to tell anyone" it was there, and so you stumbled upon it buy accident and until you figured it out on your own, you thought it was a bug that was tricky to reproduce.

Most of us having come from a desktop environment are used to "scrolling" down a page at the right edge of the window. This for me goes all the back to my first Mac, in 1984.

This of course is silly on a phone since there is no scroll-bar but it is habit.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if you like or dislike the feature. All that matters is that they put the feature in without telling anyone, including their own Tech Support/Customer Service and then took it away because some people didn't like it.

They should have added a switch to enable/disable it.

Knowing I have no choice but to either continually reject the update, 50 times a day, or accept the update and lose the feature gives me only one option, which is to scrap Samsung.

This is my 3rd Samsung phone in 2.5 years which still has some bugs (Email messages get mixed, Email Search doesn't work with sub-folders, Swype malfunctions, the phone must be switched out of CDMA/4GLTE then rebooted every time I enter my home, to communicate through my Airave)

Add back the "zoom" or I'm done, Samsung. You are too stupid a company to deserve my business.

Slomodrop

Mar 4, 2013
Pinch zoom re-enable

They should have added a switch to enable/disable it.

Knowing I have no choice but to either continually reject the update, 50 times a day, or accept the update and lose the feature gives me only one option, which is to scrap Samsung.

This feature can be added back in pretty easily if you are rooted, change the setting in system/csc/features.xml. I use Root Explorer to edit that file.

If not rooted it can likely be done by editing then flashing a file via Odin software on a PC to your phone. I will point you to that thread on XDA and suggest the edit to be made to the file to be fed into Odin.

Reactions: flastnoles11

SprintGalSII

Dec 2, 2012
Tampa
WOW!!! So it is not Hard-Coded as others have led me to believe!!

This feature can be added back in pretty easily if you are rooted, change the setting in system/csc/features.xml. I use Root Explorer to edit that file.

If not rooted it can likely be done by editing then flashing a file via Odin software on a PC to your phone. I will point you to that thread on XDA and suggest the edit to be made to the file to be fed into Odin.

WOW!! I am very happy to hear this!!!! I was under the impression from others on here that such options were all "hard coded".

I am new so forgive my ignorance, and ignorant questions.

It has been over a decade since I needed to work with Unix, and I know this has become common jargon, but when you say "if you are Rooted" I assume we are talking about logging in to my phone as Root, so that I have sufficient security/rights to access folders and files that are hidden, above our level of access? And you are saying there is a switch in "features.xml" that controls the zoom. Do you know what it is called, and what the switch is?

Also, how do I logon as Root? I looked through Root Explorer and don't see where this is an option. Do I bring up the phone in Recovery Mode to accomplish this?

Slomodrop

Mar 4, 2013
WOW!! I am very happy to hear this!!!! I was under the impression from others on here that such options were all "hard coded".

It has been over a decade since I needed to work with Unix, and I know this has become common jargon, but when you say "if you are Rooted" I assume we are talking about logging in to my phone as Root, so that I have sufficient security/rights to access folders and files that are hidden, above our level of access? And you are saying there is a switch in "features.xml" that controls the zoom. Do you know what it is called, and what the switch is?

Also, how do I logon as Root? I looked through Root Explorer and don't see where this is an option. Do I bring up the phone in Recovery Mode to accomplish this?

EDIT: I see the setting actually pertains to pinch zoom, and I can not get the edge zoom to work. But I am looking into a different method. Sorry...

ORIGINAL:
I am on MA6 and am an edge zoom hater so was happy to see this feature disabled. Let me re-enable mine and ensure it works okay, then if so I will write up a how-to for you.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you have not gone through the process of "rooting" your phone yet? You would know if you had done that because you would have gone through a process such as Skunk Ape1's guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011491

Last edited:

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

The way it works is that you once you're "rooted" an su binary is installed and everytime and app invokes the binary, the binary calls your superuser permissions manager app (for example, SuperSU or Superuser) which then prompts you to accept or deny superuser privileges for the command the app is trying to run

So you just use Root Explorer how you need to, and when it finds that it needs root privileges to say, modify a file in /system, it will call the su binary which in turn calls your superuser manager app and prompts you to allow / deny the action

And its better to ask questions than to be in the dark about something
All of us were noobs at some point ;)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: SprintGalSII

SprintGalSII

Dec 2, 2012
Tampa
Documentation for features.xml?

The way it works is that you once you're "rooted" an su binary is installed and everytime and app invokes the binary, the binary calls your superuser permissions manager app (for example, SuperSU or Superuser) which then prompts you to accept or deny superuser privileges for the command the app is trying to run

So you just use Root Explorer how you need to, and when it finds that it needs root privileges to say, modify a file in /system, it will call the su binary which in turn calls your superuser manager app and prompts you to allow / deny the action

And its better to ask questions than to be in the dark about something
All of us were noobs at some point ;)

Hope this helps!

So it is not a simple logon as "Root", as was the case when I would logon to Unix computers 10+ years ago.

Is there documentation for settings in features.xml where I could find the switch for the Screen Edge Zoom feature?

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
So it is not a simple logon as "Root", as was the case when I would logon to Unix computers 10+ years ago.

Well it is, but you have to realize that this has to be adapted for an app based OS which is android
Of course even on android you can open up a terminal, type "su" then enter and you'll get the prompt asking if you want to really run stuff as root

So there are su binaries that arent tied to any app...but the point of the binary / app setup is so that its more secure and apps cant just call "su" and arbitrarily have root access

Top Liked Posts