Kit Kat KRT16S rolling out

Search This thread

Dmtalon

Oct 4, 2007
West Harrison, IN
I put the full google image for 4.4 on my 2012 nexus last weekend. Got the update notification sometime last night. I tried to update (fully stock/unrooted straight from google images). and it failed. After rebooting I no longer got the update notice. even when checking. I was not planning to root this one (primarily my son's) but said "screw it" after the fail.

Decided to push TWRP to it, rebooted to recovery and tried flashing manually. Its failing because:

"/system/app/Gallery/Google.apk" has unexpected contents.

Ironically, I got the update on my rooted 2013 nexus and just accidentally clicked install and it booted into twrp and flashed fine (had to reflash root). Go figure.

-Liam-

Mar 30, 2011
Shrewsbury
Side loaded KitKat a few days ago. Working perfectly. Just turned the device on and there's as notification of an ota update. Let it get on with it and it's no different. Think I'm just surprised that it didn't figure out the device was already up to date.

Still working fine.

voyteckst

Jul 16, 2008
Cracow
I put the full google image for 4.4 on my 2012 nexus last weekend. Got the update notification sometime last night. I tried to update (fully stock/unrooted straight from google images). and it failed. After rebooting I no longer got the update notice. even when checking. I was not planning to root this one (primarily my son's) but said "screw it" after the fail.

Decided to push TWRP to it, rebooted to recovery and tried flashing manually. Its failing because:

"/system/app/Gallery/Google.apk" has unexpected contents.

Ironically, I got the update on my rooted 2013 nexus and just accidentally clicked install and it booted into twrp and flashed fine (had to reflash root). Go figure.

I'm using CWM and the updated flashed fine. Had problems with TWRP while flashing original OTA's KitKat...

CatThief

Apr 28, 2012
Side loaded KitKat a few days ago. Working perfectly. Just turned the device on and there's as notification of an ota update. Let it get on with it and it's no different. Think I'm just surprised that it didn't figure out the device was already up to date.

If you sideloaded KitKat a few days ago it was KRT16O. Your version should have changed from KRT16O to KRT16S after installing this OTA.

Sent from my rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: -Liam- and khaytsus

tabuser

Dec 12, 2010
Some 20 days after Google announced the Android 4.4 update, and 8 days after they confirmed that the 4.4 ota update was being sent out, and 1 day after Google started rolling out another 4.4 ota update I'm still on Android 4.3.

I'm still scratching my head as to why Google didn't inform customers of the bugs in the KRT16O version to explain to them why they were not recieving the update so long after Google confirmed it was being sent out.

Regardless, I gave up waiting and tried to flash the KRT16S image to my Nexus 7 (2012 wifi), unfortunately what ever I tried I could not get Windows Vista to recognize my tablet while in recovery.

Normally when I connect my tablet to my pc it is imediately recognized by windows. when I connect my tablet to my pc while in adb recovery it will not connect even after clicking the USB driver folders when Windows asks for them.

I've seached xda for suggestions to resolve this, and tried the following:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and tried installing latest Google USB drivers as well ast the latest Asus nexus 2012 usb drivers. I also tried with USB debugging both on and off, and with my device in both MTP and PTP, again all without success.

I guess I have to wait another week or more for the ota update.

Thanks Google for not just providing an update link in the Google Play store.

JavaJunkay

Apr 18, 2012
I flashed factory image with NRT, and as soon as I booted I got the notification for update. But still, in stock recovery, I get Status 7. Any help?

rcsrich

Jan 30, 2011
Richmond, VA
Some 20 days after Google announced the Android 4.4 update, and 8 days after they confirmed that the 4.4 ota update was being sent out, and 1 day after Google started rolling out another 4.4 ota update I'm still on Android 4.3.

I'm still scratching my head as to why Google didn't inform customers of the bugs in the KRT16O version to explain to them why they were not recieving the update so long after Google confirmed it was being sent out.

Regardless, I gave up waiting and tried to flash the KRT16S image to my Nexus 7 (2012 wifi), unfortunately what ever I tried I could not get Windows Vista to recognize my tablet while in recovery.

Normally when I connect my tablet to my pc it is imediately recognized by windows. when I connect my tablet to my pc while in adb recovery it will not connect even after clicking the USB driver folders when Windows asks for them.

I've seached xda for suggestions to resolve this, and tried the following:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and tried installing latest Google USB drivers as well ast the latest Asus nexus 2012 usb drivers. I also tried with USB debugging both on and off, and with my device in both MTP and PTP, again all without success.

I guess I have to wait another week or more for the ota update.

Thanks Google for not just providing an update link in the Google Play store.

I'm an Android guy through & through, but I have to say that iOS upgrades seem to roll out quickly en masse (though they are not without their own issues). I expect this kind of wonkiness from a manufacturer or carrier upgrade, but not from Google on their Nexus devices...

Letitride

I flashed factory image with NRT, and as soon as I booted I got the notification for update. But still, in stock recovery, I get Status 7. Any help?

Go back into NRT - run the drivers check, uninstall - reboot - install universal adb drivers, then, root & install custom recovery (TWRP as default)

It should give you back root once everything is done, and, optional, flash to CWM if desired - happy running mine on NRT16S.

Fredro

Feb 15, 2010
I had latest CWM recovery, root and stock rom. When I got the OTA I clicked restart, CWM booted up and installed the OTA with no problems. When it was done I flashed the supersu zip and everything was back to normal.

The CWM recovery is still there after reboot without any changes.

So to fix all your problems I suggest get latest CWM

Reactions: khaytsus

CatThief

Apr 28, 2012
but this way will wipe me won't it? Or can I do this dirty (without wiping anything) and retain my data and setup?

There's really nothing dirty about it if you are coming from KRT16O. You won't lose your data, apps, customizations, or anything like that as long as you don't flash userdata.img. Just flash boot.img and system.img, and don't wipe or reset anything. Dalvik cache will be rebuilt after you reboot. Letting it sit about 10 minutes after that never hurts either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

JavaJunkay

Apr 18, 2012
Go back into NRT - run the drivers check, uninstall - reboot - install universal adb drivers, then, root & install custom recovery (TWRP as default)

It should give you back root once everything is done, and, optional, flash to CWM if desired - happy running mine on NRT16S.

Thanks for the advice but flashing in TWRP gives me the same error. I guess I should just flash factory of S build

bobbytomorow

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
There's really nothing dirty about it if you are coming from KRT16O. You won't lose your data, apps, customizations, or anything like that as long as you don't flash userdata.img. Just flash boot.img and system.img, and don't wipe or reset anything. Dalvik cache will be rebuilt after you reboot. Letting it sit about 10 minutes after that never hurts either.

Worked brilliantly, thank you :good:

Reactions: khaytsus

usefulidiot127

Feb 6, 2009
Chicago
So I had the original nexus 7 4.4 OTA (rooted) as my primary rom with Multi-Rom/TWRP installed. I had flashed the Oxydo kernel.

I got the OTA notification and decided to roll the dice and let it install (knowing it would probably do something bad to my custom multirom/recovery/kernel setup.) It actually restarted and installed no problem in TWRP and the build version checks out as KRT16S now. I retained root, multi-rom, Oxydo and TWRP with seemingly no adverse affects.

Is that normal?

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
So I had the original nexus 7 4.4 OTA (rooted) as my primary rom with Multi-Rom/TWRP installed. I had flashed the Oxydo kernel.

I got the OTA notification and decided to roll the dice and let it install (knowing it would probably do something bad to my custom multirom/recovery/kernel setup.) It actually restarted and installed no problem in TWRP and the build version checks out as KRT16S now. I retained root, multi-rom, Oxydo and TWRP with seemingly no adverse affects.

Is that normal?

TWRP might automatically remove the recovery-from-boot.p script, dunno. Otherwise, your TWRP is probably not there anymore. Retaining root, dunno, not sure why that was the case unless TWRP handles that as well, or you had the Chainfire 1.72 beta that was supposed to be OTA resistant.

As for custom kernel, sure, this update didn't touch the kernel.

Kushalized

Oct 20, 2013
Mumbai
but this way will wipe me won't it? Or can I do this dirty (without wiping anything) and retain my data and setup?

Hi i am facing a soft brick on nexus 4, while i was flashing kitkat krt160 .
I unlocked the bootloader. And then i forgot to turn onn the usb debugging and flash the package via 'flash-all' command in cmd. While flashing the krt160 radio got flash and after that there was no progress. Now the device doesn't start into 4.3 .

Please help me to fix it..

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Hi, all...

Not been doing much Android related stuff this past few days... had to deal with some real world (financial:() issues. But that's all now been happily resolved:). But I still kept an eye on these forums/threads.

I noticed that @khaytsus had started this thread, and had made available the KRT16S OTA.zip (thanks, khaytsus). Downloaded it, but decided not to bother doing anything with it at the time. My mind was preoccupied with other matters... but I knew some weird sh!# was going on, because XDA's resident archiver-in-chief, @oldblue910 had started a thread about the full factory images being 'silently updated' a couple of days before... but without a new build name.

Anyway, I turned on my Nexus 7 for the first time in a few days this morning (UK time)... and I received an official OTA notification in the status bar. I accepted it, it downloaded, and it updated my system from KRT16O to KRT16S via TWRP v2.6.3.1... without problems.

This is the first time I've EVER updated my Nexus 7 through official channels, since I got it in November of last year, when it originally shipped with Jellybean 4.1... and it went through several OTA updates straight out of the box.

Of course, and as I expected with the KRT16S OTA, I lost TWRP and root... but it was a simple matter to fastboot flash TWRP again, and re-acquire root.

Interestingly, I didn't have to bother deleting (or renaming) /system/recovery-from-boot.p. (It was already renamed to recovery-from-boot.bak) - I'm not sure how though, because I didn't explicitly rename it myself... maybe TWRP did it automatically??:confused:.. Anyway, TWRP just 'stuck' after fastboot flashing it.

So, my 'grouper' N7 is now running the latest KK build, with TWRP installed, and rooted via Chainfire.

Incidentally, there's a new version of Chainfire's SuperSU (v1.75) root updater .zip...

Details here...
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12xfxshytjiuthiq04cjl1aoor5ezninhc

XDA discussion thread here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Direct download here...
http://download.chainfire.eu/368/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.75.zip

----------------------------------------

Well... I hope that's it for this iteration of Android (v4.4 KitKat KRT16S).

I'm as big a fan as the next guy for getting the latest version of Android on our devices, but these piddling little updates (KRT16S OTA is just 1.4Mb !) really are a bit of nuisance, particularly when you're rooted and you have to re-root all over again. Not a crippling issue to be sure, but still a case of "oh no, not again".

One wonders why Google can't get it right the first time with their updates:):).

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldblue910

bobbytomorow

Jun 18, 2010
West Coast
I unlocked the bootloader. And then i forgot to turn onn the usb debugging and flash the package via 'flash-all' command in cmd. While flashing the krt160 radio got flash and after that there was no progress. Now the device doesn't start into 4.3 .

Can you get into bootloader? If you can you can flash factory image via adb

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK

Hi, Kushalized...

Given you state you have a Nexus 4, you might have better luck posting this question on the correct forum (this particular forum pertains to the first gen. Nexus 7). So, I would recommend you post somewhere here.

Can you get into bootloader? If you can you can flash factory image via adb.

Erm... you actually flash (ie., fastboot flash) full factory images with the fastboot tool. ADB is effectively useless, whilst the device is booted into the bootloader.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got an OTA.

http://android.clients.google.com/p...signed-nakasi-KRT16S-from-KRT16O.3aad414b.zip

Changelog: https://funkyandroid.com/aosp-KRT16O-KRT16S.html

My initial analysis.. It's tiny, 1.5 megs large. It's adding the recovery-from-boot.p stuff back, something I think disappeared in like 4.3 or so, so this will wipe out custom recovery when booted. Just remove the file from /system and re-flash recovery.

Bunch of files are patched, including build.prop for build info but it's still 4.4. No kernel change.

You'll have to re-root, as usual. This, with the recovery wipe, means you'll be using fastboot to flash recovery, re-flash supersu, etc.

AdAway is saying it can't remount /system. I didn't have this problem previously, so something might have changed here. I can do it manually in adb but AdAway keeps failing to do it itself. :(

If you sideloaded KitKat a few days ago it was KRT16O. Your version should have changed from KRT16O to KRT16S after installing this OTA.

Sent from my rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus
    Yes I have changed some system files...know of a way to flash this update without having to revert everything?

I ended up grabbing the full ROM from Google and then used fastboot to flash the boot.img and system.img. Worked great and I'm now on the latest version!

How to flash the ota via twrp?

Copy the zip from /cache to your sdcard. Boot recovery. Tap Install. Locate the zip. Done. Good luck.