[UBUNTU][Testing] How-to install it on the Prime

Search This thread

red.eye

Dec 5, 2005
is this thread still active ? I'd like to try to install a linux distro on my TF201 but I couldn't download the files provided on the first message...

red.eye

Dec 5, 2005
Don't think so man :( the biggest mistake on hardware of my life... I wasted a lot of money with this tf201...Asus, never again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app

nokimey

Feb 5, 2008
Active ? Any working?

After long time i revived my TF201.

Does anybody have working combination ? Lot of files are gone. Does anybody have some working rootfs + kernel ?
I have my kernel_chooser ready but no system working. Even gentoo was not working any more for me.

gophix

Feb 15, 2013
Cologne
After long time i revived my TF201.

Does anybody have working combination ? Lot of files are gone. Does anybody have some working rootfs + kernel ?
I have my kernel_chooser ready but no system working. Even gentoo was not working any more for me.

I use multirom to boot to android, haven't used gentoo for a long time, but it was working.
You could set up Multirom and try to configure it using gentoo. One known issue were the tegra 3 graphics drivers. You need to mask the xorg-server to be abi conformant.

Did you check the Gentoo Asus Transformer Prime wiki, grimlocks tegra kernel at github?

nokimey

Feb 5, 2008
I use multirom to boot to android, haven't used gentoo for a long time, but it was working.
You could set up Multirom and try to configure it using gentoo. One known issue were the tegra 3 graphics drivers. You need to mask the xorg-server to be abi conformant.

Did you check the Gentoo Asus Transformer Prime wiki, grimlocks tegra kernel at github?

"Multirom" good idea - i looked on something from you on github but i did not know if its working. Yah definetly i will try :)

Yup whole Gentoo wiki i have read. There is some problem with emerge because their image for ARMHF is 2years old and emerge wants to update to most actual.. Aaaand i ended up with partialy configured gentoo but not able to boot. Still i would like to run some binary-based rather than source-based.

At least i would like to boot arch, lubuntu or ubuntu again as i had before. Even without xorg it will be nice.

gophix

Feb 15, 2013
Cologne
"Multirom" good idea - i looked on something from you on github but i did not know if its working. Yah definetly i will try :)

Yup whole Gentoo wiki i have read. There is some problem with emerge because their image for ARMHF is 2years old and emerge wants to update to most actual.. Aaaand i ended up with partialy configured gentoo but not able to boot. Still i would like to run some binary-based rather than source-based.

At least i would like to boot arch, lubuntu or ubuntu again as i had before. Even without xorg it will be nice.

you will find multirom debug builds on xda. My github project will not compile fully without changing 1-3 defines in other repo codes as far as I remember.

nokimey

Feb 5, 2008
you will find multirom debug builds on xda. My github project will not compile fully without changing 1-3 defines in other repo codes as far as I remember.

Tryied Multirom not that what i expected. I will be still using kernel_chooser.
But to a linux part, did you have some success with arch ? I may just used bad kernel. But i dont have a working combination

Just now i will try my own custom build of ubuntu 12.04 with original 3.1 kernel.

gophix

Feb 15, 2013
Cologne
But to a linux part, did you have some success with arch ? I may just used bad kernel. But i dont have a working combination

Just now i will try my own custom build of ubuntu 12.04 with original 3.1 kernel.

I didn't install arch. Had gentoo running and a Xubuntu, which was freezing after some time (20-30min).

At least kernel execution (kexec) have to be activated to start.
I think the grimlock kernel asus_tegra3_unified (@hardslog / also TF300T) should be good. As far as I can remember it has the needed patches and must only be configured and compiled, so no need to patch kernel srcs.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -----------
    HOW-TO: Ubuntu on Asus Transformer Prime TF201

Port by lilstevie (thank you for your hard work)
    --------

DISCLAIMER:
    I wrote this how-to from my experience installing successfully Ubuntu on my Prime.
    I am in no way responsible for what you do with your Prime, even when you are following my instructions.
    There is always the risk of making it worse, hardbricking your device, and this risk is completely down to you !
    This is not a final version. This port is currently very unstable !
    Install Ubuntu on your TF201 for testing purposes only !

HOW-TO Unbrick your Prime (or not...):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1514088

--------

VERSION:
    v0.1: First version of the tutorial

ABOUT:
    - Working:
    Wifi – Same patch as for the TF101
    Keyboard (if you have a dock)
    USB Host (if you have a dock)

- Partially working:
    Graphics Acceleration (only 2D at this point)
    Touchscreen (it works but every few touches are off target by 1/2 the screen)

- Not working:
    Bluetooth
    Trackpad
    Sound
    Sensors (ALS, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, GPS, magnetometer)
    Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend

--------

Links:
    Bootimage http://173.244.200.139/ports/prime-sdlinux.blob
    RootFS http://173.244.200.139/ports/ubuntu-prime.img.gz
    Fastboot http://alpharev.nl/wintools.zip

MD5:
    9625d336062b2ff7eb9530dd5e48fb9e prime-sdlinux.blob
    1a59e7918c199a85f805cb62ca130dae ubuntu.img
    81238957a42b207213442cba7eeff684 wintools.zip

--------

Hardware:
    Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (bootloader unlocked & with data/charge cable)
    A computer with Linux installed
    MicroSD card of at least 4GB (a fast card is better)

--------

Pre-requisities:
    1. You need to have an already unlocked Prime.
    To unlock it, use the official Asus Bootloader Unlock Tool APK on Android.

2. You need to have the latest ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery installed to easily backup & restore your device.
    To install it, you can use the Android tool 'ROM Manager' from Play Store if you system is already rooted.
    Otherwise, you can use the 'Fastboot' tool along with this tutorial (BE CAREFUL!):
    HOW-TO 1: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/install-cwm-5-8-2-0-on-transformer-prime/
    HOW-TO 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576937

(You can also install the Touch version of CWM to avoid destroying your volume buttons while navigating :D)
    CLASSIC : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.8.2.0-tf201.img
    TOUCH : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img

3. Before trying to do anything with your device, make a full nandroid backup of the current WORKING Android system.

To do that:
    - Reboot on CWM (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Navigate to 'backup and restore', then 'backup'
    - Wait until the full backup is done...

--------

- INSTALL Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    To have a working Ubuntu system on the Prime, you have to:
    - Extract the root file system on your MicroSD card
    - Flash the bootimage right on the device

While installing Ubuntu, the only thing you modify about Android, is the bootimage. You leave the system intact,
    so you'll be able to do a pseudo-dualboot between Ubuntu, and Android (we'll see that later).

HOW-TO:
    Extraction of the root filesystem:
    - Connect your MicroSD card on the computer running linux (ex: /dev/sdc)
    - Umount all current partitions from the card
    - Using fdisk, fully erase it, rebuild partition table, and create one partition (ex: /dev/sdc1)
    - Format it in 'ext4' (ex: $ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1)
    - Using 'dd' command, extract the 'ubuntu.img' filesystem to the recently created partition
    (ex: $ dd if=ubuntu.img of=/dev/sdc1)
    - Wait until extraction completes... (It takes a while...)
    - Mount the partition to verify that the extraction completes successfully (ex: $ mount /dev/sdc1 folder)
    - Umount it, eject the card and put it on the Prime (ex: $ umount /dev/sdc1)
    - Your Ubuntu filesystem is ready to use !

Flashing the bootimage (BE CAREFUL!):
    - Reboot in fastboot mode (see the sticky, at the end)
    - Connect the Prime to the computer, and be sure the drivers are correctly installed
    You can find the drivers here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426502
    - Extract the fastboot archive 'wintools.zip' and move the file 'prime-sdlinux.blob' in the same folder
    - Execute the command: fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot prime-sdlinux.blob
    (WARNING! This command will overwrite the bootimage of your Prime! Be sure you know what you're doing!)
    - Wait until the flash completes... (it generally takes a few seconds...)
    - When the blue progress bar is full, on the Prime, hold the Power switch to reboot the device
    - Be sure that the MicroSD card is in the Prime
    - Your Prime is now booting on Ubuntu, you should see some text displaying on the screen
    - Wait until the system initializes... (It takes a while for the first boot...)
    You should see kernel verbose booting, displaying something saying the system is resizing a partition
    on the MicroSD card...
    - Your Ubuntu system is installed ! You can do the graphical basic setup, then do a hard reboot of the device !
    - Good luck with your freshly installed Ubuntu on your awsome Asus Transformer Prime !

--------

- RESTORE Android -

Introduction:
    After installing Ubuntu, to have Android back on the Prime, you have to:
    - (OPTIONAL: Do a full nandroid backup to be able to restore the Ubuntu bootimage directly from the CWM later)
    - Simply restore the Android bootimage from the nandroid backup made before the installation of Ubuntu

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the Android backup made before installing Ubuntu
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...
    - Choose 'reboot system now' to boot in Android

--------

- DUALBOOT Android/Ubuntu -

Introduction:
    We can note that the both systems are installed on two different storage devices.
    Android is directly on the device and Ubuntu is on the MicroSD.
    The only thing that changes between the two systems is the bootimage.
    If you have a nandroid backup of each WORKING systems, you can do an advanced restore of the boot 'boot.img'
    of Ubuntu to boot it from the MicroSD card, or restore the boot of the Android backup to boot on Android !

HOW-TO:
    To do that:
    - Go to 'backup and restore', then 'advanced restore'
    - Choose the correct backup (the Android one, or the Ubuntu one)
    - Choose 'Restore boot' option
    - Wait until the restore is done...

--------

STICKY:
    - Booting the Prime on recovery mode (CWM):
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. When text displays on top of the screen, release all, and press the volume up button
    4. Wait a few seconds and CWM will appear on the Prime...

- Booting the prime in fastboot mode:
    1. Power off the device (using Android, or by a long press of the power switch)
    2. Power it on, by keeping simultaneously pressed the power switch and the volume down button
    3. Wait until the message saying 'OS will coldboot in 10 seconds' etc... then release all buttons
    4. Use the volume down button to select the USB icon
    5. Validate with volume up
    6. You can connect your device to a computer to send fastboot commands...
    Here is a video of the current status.

There is a blog post coming soon.
    You have pubblished new files ?
    We are anxiously awaiting :D

there is a major bug with the 3.1 kernel which is holding things up at the moment, there is a race condition which means the boot needs to be broken out into an initrd shell and resumed to work
    Can You write on How-to for install one distro complete ?

no, and the reason will make you happy!
    just now i've got kexec works! :laugh:

PLEASE STOP TESTING ROOT_CHOOSER v5.
    configuration files syntax will change for support external kernel loading.

so, let me make root_chooser v6 and a custom kernel for boot everything.
    i'll update you soon!

Cheers!
    i did it!
    the touchpad WORKS!
    ensure to have xf86-input-synaptics package installed ( on ubuntu should be 'xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' ).

as usually you can find everything here: https://github.com/tux-mind/tf201-dev
    for update your TF201 follow this guide: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Asus_Transformer_Prime#INSTALLING_THE_KERNEL

we ALWAYS provide the source code, for now all our kernel changes are in the JB15.patch file.
    if you want to contribute i'll add you to the repository collaborators.

cheers!