Fast/Easy unbrick - Droid 3 (XT862)

Search This thread

MerkXR4

Nov 13, 2011
Would you mind explaining quickly what your unbrick method actually does? Is this basically an automated SBF method removing the need to use RSD Lite and select the sbf file?

Also, does anyone have the link to the SBF file for this phone?

bbeaulieu

Jan 7, 2010
Im not sure. But if it gives battery error messages, you're gonna have to do the usb red/black wire method.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

I went the red/black wire method just because it makes me feel more like a geek lmao. I'll let you know what happens and if my battery explodes I'll be sure to take pictures.

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
Would you mind explaining quickly what your unbrick method actually does? Is this basically an automated SBF method removing the need to use RSD Lite and select the sbf file?

Also, does anyone have the link to the SBF file for this phone?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about :p I got this from RootzWiki so people didn't have to search around for it.. All I know is that you click the unbrick button, and it restores everything on your phone (besides sd card contents) and puts you back to stock 5.6.890 via AP fastboot..

cvhovey

Jan 1, 2010
Thanks! Worked great. Though I didn't need to SBF, when I first got my D3, it may be that a 'rougue' Droid3bootstrap.apk I downloaded from one of the main forums installed MonsterROM on my phone before I even had a chance to do a stock nandroid. And, no, I didn't download nor had I even checked out MonsterROM ... not the ROM itself but having it installed behind my back ... grrr. So I wanted to get back to a clean slate. Live and learn. So thanks for the Fast/Easy unbrick!!

Nov 12, 2011
Okay guys, I've learned from my mistakes of mixing bootstrap files, but I'm here to help you unbrick your Droid 3 (XT862) The following is a list to unbrick, the process should take about 5 minutes (not including the download or boot time)
1.[From RootzWiki] Go to this website ( File location ) http://www.multiupload.com/3D670XZ0CE
2. Download the ~450mb file.
3. If you have a spare battery, or the current battery, make sure it's charged above 50% (quick unbrick wont run if it's below 50%) You can use a spare USB cable and strip the red and black wires, then place the red on the + contact of the battery, black on the - contact. Dont charge it via this method for longer than a couple hours, and unplug if the battery starts to get hot. (Lithium-Ion explodes when overheated too much)
4. When the download is complete, extract the RAR file (WinZip), and when the phone is off, press m+power and scroll down to AP Fastboot.
5. Plug the phone into the computer, make sure you get the USB connected message on the phone.
6. Run the "Click Here - Flash Verizon" file, make sure you get "OKAY" for each message that pops up on the CMD prompt.
7. Let your phone restore and boot.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post.
***Sorry for the re-post, but I don't want rants on iphones and ps3 controllers on a potential sticky thread :D

Would I need the stock Motorola micro USB cable? Because this isn't working with a regular one

Sent from my Droid using XDA App

Cdjones187

Dec 16, 2010
Iowa
Would I need the stock Motorola micro USB cable? Because this isn't working with a regular one

Well according to what you've been told before in previous posts in this thread, yes, you need the stock cable. Could be the reason its not working for you.

And have you tried any other method of flashing the .xml (sbf for newbie 'term')?

Make sure all drivers are installed and up to date. It only took 5 minutes to "un-brick" with going the RSD lite route. If you didn't WIPE DATA/CACHE from the stock recovery after flashing the .xml (sbf) that could be another reason your boot looping or just 'stuck'. And keep in mind, after flashing through RSD the boot up time can some times take longer than 5 minutes sitting on the M logo.

I was one of the first people to 'soft brick' (still able to connect the phone through ADB in bp tools) this phone before we had any way of recovery and I was able to recover with ease through RSD when the .xml was finally available.

If this is to technical for you, IE: your trying to use this tool because you don't know how to flash it any other way, I would suggest staying away from flashing anything at all.

Sorry if I came off harsh but I think before using this you should have good knowledge of how to flash via RSD because it really doesnt take much more time or effort.

Last edited:

AZK520

Oct 4, 2011
wow.... WOnt work :/

Code:
            erasing 'userdata'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
< waiting for device >

Nareaa

May 13, 2011
One problem i have found is communication with the phone through a USB 3.0 port does not work.

Some of you may have already experienced this, but RSDLite cannot find my phone through a 3.0 port, if plugged into a 2.0 port it works just fine.

Reactions: ChaoticWeaponry

droid3mela

Dec 15, 2011
Thank sir!!!! you made my day, please let me know if you accept donations, you saved me some real trouble.

jwood3535

Dec 18, 2011
geneva
i get an error on every cmd prompt.....
error: cannot load 'files\recovery.img'
error: cannot load 'files\device_tree.bin'
error: cannot load 'files\logo.bin'
error: cannot load 'files\preinstall.img'
error: cannot load 'files\cdrom'
error: cannot load 'files\radio.img'
error: cannot load 'files\system.img'
rebooting...

Last edited:

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
i get an error on every cmd prompt.....
error: cannot load 'files\recovery.img'
error: cannot load 'files\device_tree.bin'
error: cannot load 'files\logo.bin'
error: cannot load 'files\preinstall.img'
error: cannot load 'files\cdrom'
error: cannot load 'files\radio.img'
error: cannot load 'files\system.img'
rebooting...

Did you extract the files? Not run from zip?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, I've learned from my mistakes of mixing bootstrap files, but I'm here to help you unbrick your Droid 3 (XT862) The following is a list to unbrick, the process should take about 5 minutes (not including the download or boot time)
    1.[Originally from RootzWiki] Updated Link! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61707107/Verizon%20Droid%203%205.6.890%20OTA/Flash%2BVerizon%2BDROID%2B3%2BOTA%2B5.6.890%2Bto%2Bphone_psouza4.zip
    2. Download the ~450mb file.
    3. If you have a spare battery, or the current battery, make sure it's charged above 50% (quick unbrick wont run if it's below 50%) You can use a spare USB cable and strip the red and black wires, then place the red on the + contact of the battery, black on the - contact. Dont charge it via this method for longer than a couple hours, and unplug if the battery starts to get hot. (Lithium-Ion explodes when overheated too much)
    4. When the download is complete, extract the RAR file (WinZip), and when the phone is off, press m+power and scroll down to AP Fastboot.
    5. Plug the phone into a USB 2.0 or older USB jack on your computer (some users finding USB 3.0 problems), make sure you get the USB connected message on the phone.
    6. Run the "Click Here - Flash Verizon" file, make sure you get "OKAY" for each message that pops up on the CMD prompt.
    7. Let your phone restore and boot.
    If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post.
    ***Sorry for the re-post, but I don't want rants on iphones and ps3 controllers on a potential sticky thread :D
    From another thread...
    phone is now dead and I can no longer try to flash over the sbf file.... This definitely sucks. So any ideas guys? I read somewhere about connecting the cord to the back of the phone if I cut the cord to make it think that it is charged.
    I downloaded your sbf. Extracted it to a new folder on my desktop. Ran rsd lite 5.5 restarted phone in fastboot mode. Connected it with the usb to the computer. clicked ... ran the extracted folder that had the xml. and yea now I can't try again because low battery

Ok, first, you must charge your battery. Get an unneeded USB cable (NOT your stock Moto cable, but one from an old keyboard, mouse, camera, etc.) Cut the cable off from the device, I cut an old mouse off right at the mouse. There should be 4 thinner wires inside: red, white, green and black. Grab the red and black ones and strip off about 1/2-1 inch of the colored insulation. Red is hot, black is ground. Fold each over themselves to make it double thick and insert the red into the + slot of the battery and black into the - slot. Let this sit and charge for no more than 3 hours (battery is ~1500mAh, USB output of 500mA). Now that you're charged up, get a fresh DL of the quick unbricking script just to be sure...
    http://bit.ly/D3UnBrick

This will download as a .zip file. Use 7zip, winrar, etc. to unzip this folder onto your desktop. There is no need for RSD lite with this method of unbricking. Open up that folder than has been created on your desktop (it should be called Flash+Verizon+DROID+3+OTA+5.6.890+to+phone_psouza4). Open up another folder inside there named "Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone_psouza4". Now, locate something called "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". In Windows 7 at least, this has little gears as its icon. (see attached screenshot) Don't double click it yet.

Head over to your phone and ensure your battery is charged. Press M+Power and select AP Fastboot. Connect your phone to your computer via stock Moto cable. The phone screen should say "USB connected" or something along those lines to show it has detected a connection. Go back to the open folder and NOW double click "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". A command prompt looking window should appear. Let the phone sit there and do its thing.

This video I made illustrates the process as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcne9tFtBxY
    new link

seems that the the links no longer work; can someone supply good a good link or send me the file directly?

Thanks for all the help & info

Hey I searched the web for this and only found one .zip that was twice the size because there was 2 of everything in it! I took out the extra copies and repacked it into a .rar and have uploaded it to my website here craigconcepts.com/public/psouzaFXZwithRootToos-D3.rar
    just use the xml or one click sbf exe
    links in my list
    sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2