Roku 3 supports Miracast?!

Search This thread

scottx .

So I got an email about the new Roku 3. Says to support Miracast.

I'm going to buy the unit as soon as Walmart carries it. (Most likely to use it for a while and return it since I have a wdtv)

Anyone have plans to buy one? Anyone have one yet? Can't wait for something with real Miracast support so we can use it with out Nexus 4's.

Last edited:

neer2005

Feb 20, 2011
New Jersey
Re: Roku 3 supports Miracast

I ordered mine today on Amazon, gets here on Monday :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: scottx .

floppyears

Jan 29, 2011

It would be great if it worms right now the roku doesn't have YouTube.

neer2005

Feb 20, 2011
New Jersey

Apparently an official YouTube channel will be out soon

Evan55

Dec 16, 2006
So does it support miracast out of the box? I thought I read it would be a firmware update at a later time.

singlebyte

Oct 12, 2009

I use YouTube on my roku through Plex.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

scottx .

Roku didn’t want to comment about Miracast at the time and didn’t mention the technology in its Roku 3 press material. However, both the Streaming Stick and the new Roku 3 support Wi-Fi Direct, a technology Miracast is based on, so we shouldn’t be too surprised to see both get a Miracast update some time in the near future.

From: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_03_05_roku_3.html

shannl

Dec 29, 2007
Miracast

My Roku 3 shows up on the network with a wifi direct id. If I try to connect to it, it prompts for a password. I can not find any setting for this and have no idea what the password is. Doe anyone know what software will be needed on the PC to spport Miracast? I have a Atheros wifi adapter with Miracast support in my laptop.

neer2005

Feb 20, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys, the roku broadcasts a SSID but it looks like it's used for wifi direct to pair with the remote. I can't seem to find any settings relating to miracast and the unit won't show up when I scan for displays on my Nexus.

dansskittles

Dec 12, 2011
Hey guys, the roku broadcasts a SSID but it looks like it's used for wifi direct to pair with the remote. I can't seem to find any settings relating to miracast and the unit won't show up when I scan for displays on my Nexus.

I found a neat trick to connect, I noticed the SSID it broadcasts says (WPS available). So I figured they are using WPS to link the remote to the roku. So if you go on the roku, start up remote pairing, and click the WPS button on your phone, it connects.

However no wireless displays show up in the phone settings and I have yet to find a benefit to connecting directly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'll keep you guys updated about the miracast once I get the unit

I found a neat trick to connect, I noticed the SSID it broadcasts says (WPS available). So I figured they are using WPS to link the remote to the roku. So if you go on the roku, start up remote pairing, and click the WPS button on your phone, it connects.

However no wireless displays show up in the phone settings and I have yet to find a benefit to connecting directly.

I ordered mine today on Amazon, gets here on Monday :D