This simple tether hack still works! Neet root.

Search This thread

big_redfox

Aug 20, 2007
My original post on this hack is here for Samsung Galaxy S3:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51105163#post51105163

I do not remember the details anymore, but I did managed to find a file somewhere in XDA forums to work with Android 4.4.2 (at least that's what I wrote down). I just tried with an AT&T S5 (rooted) and tether works fine. Tried Speedtest.net and it gave me 3-4Mbps download speed.

Here are the instructions I saved. I did not write it. These instructions are correct as it works for my phone:

I got it to work after some tinkering. Instructions:

1) Mount /system RW (I use ES File explorer)

2) Navigate to /system/app

3) Rename a total of 4 files by adding ".bak" to the end of the filename-
a- TetheringProvision.apk.bak
b- TetheringProvision.odex.bak
c- TetheringAutomation.apk.bak
d- TetheringAutomation.odex.bak

4) Paste new TetheringProvision.apk into the /system/app directory (I cant remember
whether I used the one from this thread or another, so I attached the one I used below)

5) Reboot phone. During the reboot I got the "Android is upgrading" popup with a little
loading bar.

6) The first time you turn tethering on, you need to do it by going through Settings
--> More Networks --> Tethering and Protable Hotspot --> Turn on Mobile Hotspot.
It will give you the "Please wait while verifying" and then tell you to call AT&T
to get tethering added to your plan, but just hit the OK button, and a few seconds
later tethering should start. After this, turn it back off and now use the "mobile
hotspot" app and you can configure network settings like wifi network name and password.

I was able to resolve the "unfortunately settings stopped" error by correcting the
permissions on the new TetheringProvision.apk to match the old one, rw-r-r, then I rebooted and was good to go.

Attachments

• TetheringProvision.apk
    209.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Reactions: lthary

Doctur

Nov 27, 2016

I do not remember the details anymore, but I did managed to find a file somewhere in XDA forums to work with Android 4.4.2 (at least that's what I wrote down). I just tried with an AT&T S5 (rooted) and tether works fine. Tried Speedtest.net and it gave me 3-4Mbps download speed.

Here are the instructions I saved. I did not write it. These instructions are correct as it works for my phone:

4) Paste new TetheringProvision.apk into the /system/app directory (I cant remember
whether I used the one from this thread or another, so I attached the one I used below)

5) Reboot phone. During the reboot I got the "Android is upgrading" popup with a little
loading bar.

6) The first time you turn tethering on, you need to do it by going through Settings
--> More Networks --> Tethering and Protable Hotspot --> Turn on Mobile Hotspot.
It will give you the "Please wait while verifying" and then tell you to call AT&T
to get tethering added to your plan, but just hit the OK button, and a few seconds
later tethering should start. After this, turn it back off and now use the "mobile
hotspot" app and you can configure network settings like wifi network name and password.

I was able to resolve the "unfortunately settings stopped" error by correcting the
permissions on the new TetheringProvision.apk to match the old one, rw-r-r, then I rebooted and was good to go.

I am currently running a deodexed, systemless root,xposed , etc.. KitKat rom (core prime) and I have looked and cant find an original tetherprovision.apk, just the automation...I don't really know how to proceed...do I just paste this into my system ? Im also on Sprint/Boost fyi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

loading bar.