Jellybean Information

Search This thread

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
The keyboard expansion where "brb" expands to "be right back" doesn't work.

Also, the voice search I think has gotten worse... the cards don't seem to work properly (aside from weather) and saying things like "Listen to Hello by Lionel Richie" and "Map of nearest gas stations" just returns google web search results.

You know you have to add it first, right?

Like this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqvteoek9k8ewwq/682PDVSmnb/Screenshot_2012-06-28-01-57-05.png

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
We didn't have Safe mode in ICS did we? Long press power button.

Last edited:

azizim

Jun 28, 2012
help

my galaxy nexus:
4.0.4 imm76i yakju
unroot
------------------------
icant flash jelly bean4.1?
how?
please download link for me
tgz?

Last edited:

leshake

Apr 23, 2010
New York
Well one thing I did notice right now...using xda app (despite being update for ICS) is awfully slow...in particular scrolling and typing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
I have one question from the people who have JB running on their Gnex. is it really iphone smooth now ? or almost iphone smooth ?
I am asking because I have friends who brag all the time regarding their iphone smoothness and I want to shut them up :D

Molitro

Oct 19, 2010
Google Pixel 5
ASUS ZenFone 8
I have one question from the people who have JB running on their Gnex. is it really iphone smooth now ? or almost iphone smooth ?
I am asking because I have friends who brag all the time regarding their iphone smoothness and I want to shut them up :D

Let's be honest with butter.
It's better than ICS, hands down. But it isn't completely smooth. You still have those hiccups when the phone is trying to load more than it can.

But they've definitely improved, specially in transition animations, and ICS was already pretty good.

akash3656

May 3, 2010
The smoothest you can get on Android. Why don't you make a nandroid and flash away yourself? I still think the iPhone (not jailbroken) is a tiny bit smoother and MAYBE more consistent. That said, it isn't easy to make Jelly Bean lag even the live wallpapers don't lag.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net

Well, no, sadly it won't be. vSync is an ok solution, but triple buffering is more of a smoothing hack than actual smoothing. Animations will certainly look smoother, but UI responsiveness won't be close to iOS.

They are trying to fix problems of triple buffering by trying to 'anticipate' where your touches will happen, but that's a hack.

Current 4.0.4 is more responsive than 4.1, but 4.1 will appear smoother, basically. Neither really gets close to native UI of iOS and personally I fear that will never change until Android drops large chunk of how its built.

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
The smoothest you can get on Android. Why don't you make a nandroid and flash away yourself? I still think the iPhone (not jailbroken) is a tiny bit smoother and MAYBE more consistent. That said, it isn't easy to make Jelly Bean lag even the live wallpapers don't lag.
I dont have Gnex , I have SGSII and we still dont know if we ever would get a JB update from sammy or not :( you are lucky guys ;)

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Well, no, sadly it won't be. vSync is an ok solution, but triple buffering is more of a smoothing hack than actual smoothing. Animations will certainly look smoother, but UI responsiveness won't be close to iOS.

They are trying to fix problems of triple buffering by trying to 'anticipate' where your touches will happen, but that's a hack.

Current 4.0.4 is more responsive than 4.1, but 4.1 will appear smoother, basically. Neither really gets close to native UI of iOS and personally I fear that will never change until Android drops large chunk of how its built.
Yes, I completely agree with you. they are using smoothness hacks and tricks instead of real code cleaning and optimization.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
Ok, anyone else thinking that we won't actually see 4.1 on Galaxy Nexus devices in July? The amount of bugs and issues is extensive enough that I cannot see how they can get them fixed, tested and shipped in just a couple of weeks. Not that it matters, really :)

I'd still love to install JB on my phone, though the lack of step by step guides regarding how to do it on a stock 4.0.4 is holding me back - all the stuff about different versions and multiple updates and whatnot is pretty intimidating without a good step by step guide.

If someone would be so kind, I think community of non-modders would appreciate a good step-by-step guide about how to update to 4.1 from stock 4.0.4 yakju device.

I just have never done an update of this kind, so I'm pretty confused about the process. Part of me wishes Google simply made these OTA updates very easy to install and update. I am a registered Google Play developer, you'd expect them to make the OTA available for developers the way Apple does it.

gogol

May 20, 2005
Anyone tried "USB Host" feature with external HDD? I thought this is not present on stock ICS Galaxy Nexus.

And also, please try to sync your contacts with GMail, and see if the contact photos in the phone then changed to low res:

- First changed a contact photo in the phone with high resolution photo
- Then sync with GMAIL Contacts
- Then go to GMAIL Contacts, edit the contact there (add note or change phone number)
- Sync again and see if the high res photo is replaced with low res from GMAIL

Thanks!

RichardHaro

Aug 5, 2010
My phone's build number is IMM76I (Takju), is it possible for me to flash the 4.1 ROM linked in the OP? Is there more than one variant of takju? God, I am confused. I thought once I flashed Takju on my GSM European SGN I would be able to receive updates to Android as soon as they came out...

humayooshah

Jun 21, 2012
Karachi
question

i am running CM9 rc0 on GSM Nexus S
will it be compatible for the automatic update notification on my phone or do i have to download the jellybean first on my computer like we do it for roms?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone! A Jellybean OTA has been released for Google I/O, so in order to keep things organized all new discussions about it will be redirected here. Please keep in mind that this is a developer preview, as such it will likely have bugs and you must root in order to install it. If you don't wish to root you'll need to wait for Google or Samsung to release an OTA for your device.

If you have anything you feel should be linked here feel free to shoot me a PM with it.

Cheers!

Information & Guides:
    Information about JellyBean
    Introducing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) preview platform, and more

Android 4.1 for Developers
    Differences between 4.0.4 and 4.1
    Screenshot Gallary + Change List
    [HOW-TO] Install official JRN84D (Jelly Bean 4.1) on your GSM Galaxy Nexus
    Jelly Bean Flash Update 11.1.115.12

Jelly Bean related Guides
    How to regain root after updating to 4.1

Firmware & ROMs:
    GSM
    [ROM][CWM] Jellybean 4.1 JRN84D Stock, Rooted, Busybox, Deodexed + New Radio!
    Direct Link for takju IMM30D to JRN84D OTA
    Torrent link for OTA
    New Radio XXLF1
    [REF] [BOOTLOADER] Bootloader Collection - Look for PRIMELC03

Toro
    [ROM]Team Liquid Vicious-Toro-JellyBean Fully 100% Fucntional Deodex

Toro+
    [ACS][ROM] Jelly Bean R U Jelling official thread - Shabby Penguin/DreamsForgotten

Other Useful Guides
    [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Convert to latest yakju/takju/mysid build / Return to stock
    Jellybean OTA released!

Gallary : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqvteoek9k8ewwq/yzKZD-V6vJ

Some small changes that were not announced:

• THE BAD: Navigation is still Gingerbread looking. Background gradients are still pixelated. Most importantly, NO PINCH TO ZOOM IN GMAIL! WTF Google?
    • The multitasking drawer loads faster when you press the button, but it makes you wait on the dimmed screen while it load the app screenshots. It gives the illusion of being faster.
    • Different animation based on how you switch to an app (ICS had only one)
    • Hotword Detection: launch voice search when you say "Google" (when you are running google now)
    • Jelly bean easter egg
    • New Developer options:
      SD card privacy protection (won't come into effect before the next major release)
      Animator duration scale (the window and transition animation options are still there)
      Disable HW overlay (not sure what this one is)
      etc
    • In contacts, there is a "Auto-sync app data" option that I think wasn't there before.
    • Messaging app widget!
    • New Contacts icon
    • New share action and intent picker pop out (big icons instead of a list)
    • Default font seems to be a little thinner than ICS Roboto in some places
    • NOTIFICATIONS CAN BE DISABLED. This one is a godsend. You can long press on notifications to get the info of the sender app (useful for detecting spam apps)
    • When keyboard is active, the back button turns into a downward arrow (just like tablet ICS).
    • WPS PIN setup for Wifi
    • Wifi-direct has more options (like CM9)
    • "Add-on dictionaries" : it's empty now until 3rd party keyboards leverage the new API. (I think you would be able to get dictionaries from play store in the future)
    • Kernel is based off 3.0.31 (ICS was 3.0.8)
    • Google play music has been updated (Nexus Q settings link, better interface, etc)
    • Keyboard shortcuts (example: brb expands to "be right back"). Catching up to Apple much Google?
    • NO ROOT RESTRICTION ON GOOGLE PLAY MOVIES!. I wonder how they pulled this off without compromising DRM.
    • SAFE BOOT: long press on "Power off" (in the menu that shows up when you long press power button) to get into this mode. Only system apps will be loaded (should come in handy when dealing with rogue apps)
    • Screen seems to be better calibrated. The colours are more neutral and less yellow.
    Jellybean OTA released!

root

how i did it

ok you need to have clockworkmod recovery installed...
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(insecure boot.img)
    unzip boot.img.zip, boot to bootloader and
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

or flash JRN84D-insecure-boot.zip from recovery

-put the CWM-SuperSU-v0.92-mod.zip on your sd and flash

done. :good:

if you have problems...
    flash Koush's Jellybean repack (IMM76I OR IMM30D) http://d-h.st/Gkh

If recovery isn't sticking for you, delete recovery-from-boot.p in /system

...this is chainfire's super su

- download Koush's Jellybean repack (http://d-h.st/Gkh)
    - download SuperSU from the 2nd post or from its thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053)
    - reboot into recovery
    - create a backup just in case
    - wipe system / data / cache
    - flash Koush's Jellybean repack
    - flash SuperSU
    - reboot
    - you're now in a rooted Jelly Bean, but you'll lose your custom recovery
    - using Root Explorer or similar apps, delete /etc/install-recovery.sh
    - re-flash your favorite custom recovery (CWM or TWRP), this time it will stick

:silly:
    Some interesting notes about the Developer Options in 4.1:

• Animator Duration Scale - This is a new setting and this affects automatic animations in Android, such as swipe speeds when you swipe something away from Recent Apps (it affects the speed of which the list gets re-ordered). Also note that this setting seems to require a restart to be in effect.
    • Disable HW Overlays - I think that this setting is Project Butter. This should be the hardware vSync/TripleBuffer overlay. It is recommended to not disable this, unless for debugging.
    • Force GPU Rendering - This was already in 4.0, but was very buggy in 4.0 since a lot of apps were not compatible with it. It seems to be much better now because of HW overlays (that is, the benefit of GPU Rendering in apps is much better thanks to HW Overlays), but there are still bugs with some apps (like Androidify).

What makes this last Force GPU Rendering setting really awesome is that it enhances most WebViews much more in combination with HW Overlays, than before. This means that apps that have UI built with WebView are much faster with this setting on, if they haven't used it internally. But it is still recommended not to turn it on and let app developers to test it out first and support it out of the box.