[Q] Tampered above unlocked, and development purposes only before splash screen

Search This thread

Joeymaz73

Apr 10, 2014
OK.. here we go.. I bought my VERIZON M8 the day it was released. I came to this site, after having successfully put the viper Timon my DNA. Not exactly.new to this but I'm in a bit of a mess. I have tampered above unlocked on my bootloader screen and when I boot into the ROM I am using... A message flashes at the bottom saying for development use only and other legal stuff from HTC. What steps can I take to remove those? I have permanent s-off and weaksauce still installed. Is there a toolkit like for the m7 or am I missing something? Help is appreciated.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
OK.. here we go.. I bought my VERIZON M8 the day it was released. I came to this site, after having successfully put the viper Timon my DNA. Not exactly.new to this but I'm in a bit of a mess. I have tampered above unlocked on my bootloader screen and when I boot into the ROM I am using... A message flashes at the bottom saying for development use only and other legal stuff from HTC. What steps can I take to remove those? I have permanent s-off and weaksauce still installed. Is there a toolkit like for the m7 or am I missing something? Help is appreciated.

I see a message about "Development use only for HTC" or whatever when booting into the bootloader (or recovery...or both...I can't remember), but it doesn't affect anything. Is that what you're referring to? Also, remove Weaksauce like the S-Off instructions told you to do.

And what exactly is this "mess" you're in? If a message flashes across your screen and then your phone finishes booting into the ROM, that doesn't exactly sound like a mess to me...

Joeymaz73

Apr 10, 2014
I see a message about "Development use only for HTC" or whatever when booting into the bootloader (or recovery...or both...I can't remember), but it doesn't affect anything. Is that what you're referring to? Also, remove Weaksauce like the S-Off instructions told you to do.

And what exactly is this "mess" you're in? If a message flashes across your screen and then your phone finishes booting into the ROM, that doesn't exactly sound like a mess to me...

I guess I'm just ocd. I dont like seeing those messages if i dont have to.I had originally. Removed weaksauce.. but put it back on when the permanent. Root didn't take effect properly. Is everyone seeing tampered? If not I'd prefer to be able to get rid of it as well.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
I guess I'm just ocd. I dont like seeing those messages if i dont have to.I had originally. Removed weaksauce.. but put it back on when the permanent. Root didn't take effect properly. Is everyone seeing tampered? If not I'd prefer to be able to get rid of it as well.

If flashing the superuser zip didn't work correctly for you, that's an issue you should probably look into...

Like I said, I don't see it say "tampered", I just see the "This build is for development purposes only" message when I boot into recovery. You're sure you see it when booting normally into the ROM itself?

Joeymaz73

Apr 10, 2014
Yeah, but unless if he also flashed a custom boot.img (or a ROM that has a custom boot.img included), or is actually booting into recovery when he sees it, he shouldn't be seeing it when he boots into the ROM itself.

Edit: I just misread the OP, apparently he may be using a custom ROM, I didn't notice that before.

Sorry Guys, I should have told you which ROM I had flashed to.. SKYFALL★| |►1.12.605.11◄|4.4.2|VZW||ODEX/DEODEX||►1.2◄|April.10. I'll follow the directions pointed to in the thread above when I get home.. Still leaves me with "tampered" when I boot into recovery or bootloader.

Joeymaz73

Apr 10, 2014
Thanks for that tool page. I love learning new things about these phones. 20 years I've just been a PC guy.. learning how to do some of this can be tricky. Thank goodness for this forum and the people on it.