[GUIDE] How to enable LTE on the Mobilicity / Wind / Vidéotron T889V

Search This thread

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
Hello everyone,

If you're using an SGH-T889V (originally from Vidéotron, Wind or Mobilicity) on a carrier that runs LTE on the AWS band, e.g.: Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin Mobile Canada, Koodo, AT&T or T-Mobile; this will allow you to enable LTE.

Note: Vidéotron has launched their LTE network in September 2014. As of writing this, it is unclear whether there will be a new T889V modem released with LTE enabled in the coming weeks, much like there was with T-Mobile USA when they launched their LTE network.

If you're using a T-Mobile USA SGH-T889, this guide isn't for you.

The usual disclaimers apply.

Actually, let me rephrase that: This mod permanently damages your phone, and irrevocably voids your warranty.

No one has been able to flash back to a T889V modem (be it ALJ4, BMA3, CMK4 or DNE7) without encountering bootloops afterwards.
Interestingly, T889VVLUDNH2 did not bootloop, it simply showed an "unknown" IMEI and baseband with no network connection.

Some background:

Additional relevant threads:

You'll need:
  • LTE - Coverage, known working microSIM, proper plan and system provisioning, etc...
  • Proper APN settings for your carriers on hand. (Better yet if you're running TouchWiz ROMs: proper CSC files and knowledge on how to modify and apply those.)
  • ADB
  • Clockworkmod/TWRP recovery
  • CWM/TWRP flashable I317M modem image. (I originally used the BMA3 modem, although the mod should work with any of them.)

Bell/Rogers/Telus I317M modem files

Mobilicity/Vidéotron/Wind T889V modem files.

Once you've downloaded the above files:
  • Backup your NV settings (in CDMA Workshop text format) as per this thread. You can also use the EFS Professional Tool (currently at version 2.1.61) almost identically to the older NV_reader_writer tool. (It also contains the IMEI NV item generator functions that Peoplearmy's tool had, apparently gone missing too.)
    The only things I'll add are that:
    • RMNET + DM + MODEM is not available, you'll have to use RNDIS + DM + MODEM instead.
    • Finding the COM port can be done in device manager, you may need to refresh devices or disconnect and reconnect the USB port. If it's been properly detected, you can also click the Port text to the left of the droplist, there's an autodetect function there.
  • Also use this guide to backup (in QPST/QXDM .qcn format): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946915
  • Optional: Backup the raw mk9efs partitions too, as per @connexion2005's suggestion: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2079705 (they're not necessary for the mod itself, and are only made as an additional precaution)
  • Optional: Backup the raw mk9efs and efs partitions with this CWM or TWRP "flashable" zip based on the Synergyrom team's work. It outputs the dumps in a ready-to-flash restore zip.
  • Consider backing up other files and data from your phone with the usual complement of Titanium Backup, nandroid and so on. Copy those off the phone.

If you're running an AT&T or T-Mobile ROM: you may have to flash another ROM as well. The stock T889V ROM has a "Network Mode" setting that lets you toggle between LTE/WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only and GSM only. The I317M and N7105 ROMs also have this, while the I317 and T889 probably don't.

On the T889V ROMs: to see LTE become an option, you'll need to edit your CSC files and remove the <CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode>lte</CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode> line in /system/csc/others.xml. This setting is only cosmetic: the notification bar icon will show "4G" and you won't see LTE in the network mode settings. However, the phone will still use LTE, which can be confirmed by looking in Settings / About Phone / Status. (I've come across this while flashing ROMs with unaltered CSC files.)

Let's proceed with the actual modification:
  1. Reboot to recovery, flash the 317M BMA3 modem. Wipe /cache and Dalvik cache for good measure.
  2. Reboot phone. No bootloops? Good.
  3. Check in Settings / About Phone that you still have a valid IMEI. (It's possible you still do at this point.)
  4. Reboot the phone. This time the IMEI and service should be lost.
  5. Using the same procedure you did to back them up, restore your NV items.
  6. Reboot the phone.
  7. Confirm your IMEI is correct and that you have service.

Check in Settings: Wireless and networks -> More settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode that LTE/WCDMA/GSM is selected. Another menu worth mentioning here is the "Band Selection" menu accessed through the *#2263# dialer code. Note that if you force the phone onto the LTE bands, you will only have data service, and no voice calls or SMS.

I'd like to thank the following users for their help and feedback in writing this guide: @Byangmang, @deeznutz1977, @dspkeff, @hkfan, @rail205, @TEKHD

Good luck,

Darkshado

Last edited:

Crinkypops

Feb 26, 2012
Toronto
Thank you so much. I have been waiting for this day to come. All the best, Darkshado! :) :):beer:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

jfive74

Apr 15, 2008
Works. Thanks allot. Only thing I didn't do is restore the 3 files backed up via adb.

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
Works. Thanks allot. Only thing I didn't do is restore the 3 files backed up via adb.

Those are very much a belt and suspenders bit. They're not to be restored in the instructions, and my inclusion here is mostly because connexion2005 had requested a set for a JTAG repair. I'm taking a guess here, but if there's any calibration data or other phone specific parameters in there, having those from your device on hand can't be bad.

sidmuer

Sep 7, 2011
What if I suffer boot loops, didn't do any backups, and my IMEI is already Zeroed out on my T889V? How can I fix this?
I have my IMEI still since it's written on the purchase box of the phone.
I used to be wind, now virgin mobile with LTE sim. I flashed tmobile modem. No love. Flashed T889V modem back, then got boot loops.

Please help!!!

edit:
Hi Darkshado, really hoping you can help.
I've done more reading. I can't seem to make the boot loops stop.
I've done odin to factory rom image. No luck.
I tried i317 custom modem you have here on XDA, no luck. Also Tmobile modem, etc... no luck.
I used CWM and permission fix, etc.. no luck.
My boot loop is a little weird. It will boot and stay live (working - no signal though) for about a min, then it will say some android.media.process is not responding and reboot.
So I can't get NV to inject my IMEI as it will reboot too soon. From what I read, NV needs 5-10 min??

basically, I did JEDIX-15 tmobile rom install with latest tmobile modem. That's how I got into this mess. I have a T889V and virgin LTE sim such as yourself.
I just can't seem to make the boot loops end so I can move forward....

Last edited:

sidmuer

Sep 7, 2011
Will this do?
T889UVBMD1
I'm going to try and odin the factory image and see if that stops the reboots.
I'm guessing baseband is the same as modem correct?
I'll go give it a try now and use CWM to inject it first before I odin.
I've never done an NV restore let alone backup, so that seems to be my hick up. I'll do some research and get that done then and get back to you.
Thanks for the assistance.

edit:
I'll try to write NV, but that might be an issue since I need the phone not to reboot, and it does in under a minute usually.
Any suggestions, or specific rom I can try to write so I can eliminate the reboots so I can do the nv?

edit2:
ok, the tmo modem from that link above worked. It's not boot looping after a min now!
There is still zero signal. Does not connect. When I do *#2263# and choose automatic, it says menu does not exist, etc...
going to to try inject my IMEI with NV.
Will report back.

Edit 3
Ok, just used nv read/write to inject your t889v nv file. Then generated my imei and injected that.
reboot, and got signal! yay.
thank you so much!\
When I go to settings. I only see WCDMA/GSM/AUTO. No LTE option. I think I read somewhere that is cosmetic?
If I NV write the T889 NV file from deeznutz1977 will that fix it cosmetically?

Thanks again!

Try writing flashing back the T889 baseband and restoring a T889 or T889V NV items backup.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5025pxtp9vgk4k/NV_items.7z

Last edited:

_Kippo_

May 17, 2012
Chalk River
20% More Awsomeness

I switched over to Telus sine Mobilicity is going under :( . I could only get HSPA+ @ 5Mbps, Now I too have fully working LTE. Albeit with weaker signal strenth due to higher band freqency. But I can just toogle LTE when needed. I must admit that second reboot with IMIE 0 and no service was a bit nerve racking, but the backup was flawless. Thanks a million OP. ^_^

sidmuer

Sep 7, 2011
i edited the csc called other....
and the LTE line was already not present.
The LTE option is still not in the mobile settings however.
When I do the *#2263# menu and set it to LTE the data does keep working. And I do see it in the system info. Also using a tmobile radio with the JEDI-X15 rom. yay.
But I'd like to solve the cosmetics side of it.
I did inject the t889V nv setting.... could that affect it? Would the t889 NV settings fix it?

edit:
still no luck getting LTE option to appear, although it works, I'd like to solve the cosmetic side of it.
Any help?

Last edited:
Reactions: perryh1

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
You can also get confirmation that LTE is active by checking in About phone / Status.

I don't feel like going through the 664 pages of the Jedi X ROM thread to see if they've altered the network icons or not. Being based on the N7105 ROMs icons with either "4G" or "LTE" captions should be present. Are you editing the active CSC files? Namely those in /system/csc/ ?

I should mention that some CSC edits only apply upon factory reset, e.g. activating WB-AMR, (a.k.a. HD Voice). One neat trick is to make a backup in recovery (nandroid or TWRP), factory reset, then reboot to recovery and restore the backup. I don't recall if this applies to the network icon related lines or not.

_Kippo_

May 17, 2012
Chalk River
Older Modems

Question?

As I stated before it was a smooth transition. But... Some claim the older modem worked better (I317M-I317MVLALJ2). I tried through TWRP as before but the return status says FAILED. No changers are thus made. Any ideas? Thanks.

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
I've been able to flash back and forth between ALJ2 and BMA3. You're saying the linked ALJ2 zip refuses to flash? I'll have to check, but this might take a few days as I'm:

-rather busy IRL
-stuck using my old laptop (mushy, thoroughly worn out keyboard with an overzealous enter key that fires the moment you hint at touching it and a dead left shift key) while the other is in warranty repair (failing PSU seems to have damaged the motherboard and/or dGPU)

Goodbye,

Darkshado

sidmuer

Sep 7, 2011
You can also get confirmation that LTE is active by checking in About phone / Status.

I don't feel like going through the 664 pages of the Jedi X ROM thread to see if they've altered the network icons or not. Being based on the N7105 ROMs icons with either "4G" or "LTE" captions should be present. Are you editing the active CSC files? Namely those in /system/csc/ ?

I should mention that some CSC edits only apply upon factory reset, e.g. activating WB-AMR, (a.k.a. HD Voice). One neat trick is to make a backup in recovery (nandroid or TWRP), factory reset, then reboot to recovery and restore the backup. I don't recall if this applies to the network icon related lines or not.

yep, I edited those CSC files as per your original write up.

I did not factory reset. And yes, you are right. A good example is the Nexus 4. It needs a factory reset to keep the LTE settings ( unless you go to the "INFO" menu, and then you need to reset again.

Okay, I'll try the reset tonight. See what happens. And yes, I see LTE in system info.
Also, when I use speedtest, it records it as lte.
Honestly, I'm just happy it works again... :)

Last edited:

_Kippo_

May 17, 2012
Chalk River
I've been able to flash back and forth between ALJ2 and BMA3. You're saying the linked ALJ2 zip refuses to flash? I'll have to check, but this might take a few days as I'm:

-rather busy IRL
-stuck using my old laptop (mushy, thoroughly worn out keyboard with an overzealous enter key that fires the moment you hint at touching it and a dead left shift key) while the other is in warranty repair (failing PSU seems to have damaged the motherboard and/or dGPU)

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Problem Solved. The issue was I am using SDCard encryption. For some reason TWRP can SEE the cards files, but not use them. When I moved the modem to internal it installed fine. Sorry bout that.

hkfan

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
If I enable lte using this method then will aws still works for WindMobile?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
If I enable LTE using this method then will AWS HSPA still work for WindMobile?

It should. My data in this department is very limited, since I don't have an active Videotron account on hand. With that said, I got a working speed test on Videotron's AWS HSPA shortly after sorting my phone out this winter. (I simply dropped by one of their stores while at a shopping mall and nicely asked a sales rep to borrow an active SIM card. Showed her the menu unlock method as a thank you.)

I also got to use the phone with T-Mobile USA earlier this year, getting both HSPA (some of it likely AWS, though I didn't get the time to check) and LTE.

Last edited:

SpyderSL

May 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for putting this together!!

Quick question - I have a t889v from Wind Mobile. I switched carriers to Rogers, and in the process screwed up my phone and had no IMEI/Baseband. Had to send it in for repair to replace the board. It came back with the baseband T889UVUCMK7.

Do you think I can still use this method? I'm currently running a T-mobile Touchwiz 4.4.2 ROM (Test Rom v1.2).

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
What does download mode give as product ID? You may well have a U.S. board in there now.

The later T-Mobile T889 basebands support LTE out of the box. Make sure your APN settings, plan and SIM card are correct, and that the modem you have does support LTE; if not, you might just need to update that.

I know some people here followed essentially the steps I did, but with the T889 modem instead, but I don't think it applies here.

Good luck,

Darkshado

Sent from my T0LTE using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

If you're using an SGH-T889V (originally from Vidéotron, Wind or Mobilicity) on a carrier that runs LTE on the AWS band, e.g.: Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, Virgin Mobile Canada, Koodo, AT&T or T-Mobile; this will allow you to enable LTE.

Note: Vidéotron has launched their LTE network in September 2014. As of writing this, it is unclear whether there will be a new T889V modem released with LTE enabled in the coming weeks, much like there was with T-Mobile USA when they launched their LTE network.

If you're using a T-Mobile USA SGH-T889, this guide isn't for you.

The usual disclaimers apply.

Actually, let me rephrase that: This mod permanently damages your phone, and irrevocably voids your warranty.

No one has been able to flash back to a T889V modem (be it ALJ4, BMA3, CMK4 or DNE7) without encountering bootloops afterwards.
    Interestingly, T889VVLUDNH2 did not bootloop, it simply showed an "unknown" IMEI and baseband with no network connection.

Some background:

Additional relevant threads:

You'll need:
    • LTE - Coverage, known working microSIM, proper plan and system provisioning, etc...
    • Proper APN settings for your carriers on hand. (Better yet if you're running TouchWiz ROMs: proper CSC files and knowledge on how to modify and apply those.)
    • ADB
    • Clockworkmod/TWRP recovery
    • CWM/TWRP flashable I317M modem image. (I originally used the BMA3 modem, although the mod should work with any of them.)

Bell/Rogers/Telus I317M modem files

Mobilicity/Vidéotron/Wind T889V modem files.

Once you've downloaded the above files:
    • Backup your NV settings (in CDMA Workshop text format) as per this thread. You can also use the EFS Professional Tool (currently at version 2.1.61) almost identically to the older NV_reader_writer tool. (It also contains the IMEI NV item generator functions that Peoplearmy's tool had, apparently gone missing too.)
      The only things I'll add are that:
      • RMNET + DM + MODEM is not available, you'll have to use RNDIS + DM + MODEM instead.
      • Finding the COM port can be done in device manager, you may need to refresh devices or disconnect and reconnect the USB port. If it's been properly detected, you can also click the Port text to the left of the droplist, there's an autodetect function there.
    • Also use this guide to backup (in QPST/QXDM .qcn format): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946915
    • Optional: Backup the raw mk9efs partitions too, as per @connexion2005's suggestion: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2079705 (they're not necessary for the mod itself, and are only made as an additional precaution)
    • Optional: Backup the raw mk9efs and efs partitions with this CWM or TWRP "flashable" zip based on the Synergyrom team's work. It outputs the dumps in a ready-to-flash restore zip.
    • Consider backing up other files and data from your phone with the usual complement of Titanium Backup, nandroid and so on. Copy those off the phone.

If you're running an AT&T or T-Mobile ROM: you may have to flash another ROM as well. The stock T889V ROM has a "Network Mode" setting that lets you toggle between LTE/WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only and GSM only. The I317M and N7105 ROMs also have this, while the I317 and T889 probably don't.

On the T889V ROMs: to see LTE become an option, you'll need to edit your CSC files and remove the <CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode>lte</CscFeature_Setting_DisableNetworkMode> line in /system/csc/others.xml. This setting is only cosmetic: the notification bar icon will show "4G" and you won't see LTE in the network mode settings. However, the phone will still use LTE, which can be confirmed by looking in Settings / About Phone / Status. (I've come across this while flashing ROMs with unaltered CSC files.)

Let's proceed with the actual modification:
    1. Reboot to recovery, flash the 317M BMA3 modem. Wipe /cache and Dalvik cache for good measure.
    2. Reboot phone. No bootloops? Good.
    3. Check in Settings / About Phone that you still have a valid IMEI. (It's possible you still do at this point.)
    4. Reboot the phone. This time the IMEI and service should be lost.
    5. Using the same procedure you did to back them up, restore your NV items.
    6. Reboot the phone.
    7. Confirm your IMEI is correct and that you have service.

Check in Settings: Wireless and networks -> More settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode that LTE/WCDMA/GSM is selected. Another menu worth mentioning here is the "Band Selection" menu accessed through the *#2263# dialer code. Note that if you force the phone onto the LTE bands, you will only have data service, and no voice calls or SMS.

I'd like to thank the following users for their help and feedback in writing this guide: @Byangmang, @deeznutz1977, @dspkeff, @hkfan, @rail205, @TEKHD

Good luck,

Darkshado
    i edited the csc called other....
    and the LTE line was already not present.
    The LTE option is still not in the mobile settings however.
    When I do the *#2263# menu and set it to LTE the data does keep working. And I do see it in the system info. Also using a tmobile radio with the JEDI-X15 rom. yay.
    But I'd like to solve the cosmetics side of it.
    I did inject the t889V nv setting.... could that affect it? Would the t889 NV settings fix it?

edit:
    still no luck getting LTE option to appear, although it works, I'd like to solve the cosmetic side of it.
    Any help?
    I don't see why not, things have been pretty interchangeable between the various GSM+WCDMA+LTE Note 2 variants.
    @darshado: Thank you very much for the guide! Although I haven't tested it yet because I'm worried I'll brick my phone, I'm really eager to give it a try.
    I wanted to know whether this method would work without a problem if the phone (I have a Videotron T889V that runs on Fido) would be on stock 4.4.2 AND running the Agni Kernel. I know it's compatible with the T889 and T889V versions of the Note 2 but not sure whether it is compatible or not with the i337m modem.

Merci!

wavv.drama,

I don't think you can brick your phone. You can increase your stress level if your radio does not connect back but there are ways to fix it.

:cowboy:
    No idea as far as enabling other bands via the I317M modem...

As you've probably figure out since, the T889V (and other LTE Note 2s) has an Exynos CPU with a Qualcomm modem.