[Q] Unlocking Bootloader - What is important?

Search This thread

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
Hello everybody!
I have decided that I'm going to unlock my Xperia V's bootloader. Perhaps I will do so this weekend.
But I need some information on all this stuff.

First of all, what are the important things to do before unlocking? Like for example backup TA partition and so on. How do I do these things?

Also, can anyone provide me a failure-proof guide on installing an AOSP rom? I think I want to install this Carbon room that appeared today in the XV forums.
I am currently on unrooted stock 4.3 (had some issues with my recovery some time ago, so I had to reset..)

I would also appreciate a summary of what is NOT working currently in the 4.4 roms, and if Kitkat is already stable enough for daily use on our devices.. (And perhaps also what impact an AOSP rom has on performance in benchmarke etc.)

Also, which kernels do you recommend?

I know, it's a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I don't brick my phone.. It's the first time for me messing around with bootloader unlocks. ^^

Any replies/ helpful links/ advice are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
Ah, I forgot one question...
Does project butter work in 4.4 as well? Is it as smooth as stock 4.3? :)

Mad Marty

Jan 20, 2011
Don't forget that unlocking your phone also factory resets it ;) so backup important stuff first.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
root your phone then use Backup-TA-9.10 to backup TA first then go to http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/instructions and follow guide here. so you can unlock very easy

Don't forget that unlocking your phone also factory resets it ;) so backup important stuff first.

Alright.. And to root I'll have to go back to 4.1..

So, is this order correct?

-Optional Backup (don't know how to backup my apps without root tho. :/)
- Flash 4.1 ftf
- Root with Doomlord
- Backup TA
- Unlock BL
- Flash CM kernel (by the way.. How? :D i have never used this fastboot thing.)
- Enter recovery
- Flash rom zip

Still need some information about these kitkat roms, guys.. Any experiences? Any replies to my questions in op? :)

devilmaycry2020

Apr 27, 2013
Alright.. And to root I'll have to go back to 4.1..

So, is this order correct?

-Optional Backup (don't know how to backup my apps without root tho. :/)
- Flash 4.1 ftf
- Root with Doomlord
- Backup TA
- Unlock BL
- Flash CM kernel (by the way.. How? :D i have never used this fastboot thing.)
- Enter recovery
- Flash rom zip

Still need some information about these kitkat roms, guys.. Any experiences? Any replies to my questions in op? :)

i think all app you can install again, backup only image, video, phone book.
the order is correct. i dont like to use AOSP rom cause the graphic interface not as good as sony.

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
i think all app you can install again, backup only image, video, phone book.
the order is correct. i dont like to use AOSP rom cause the graphic interface not as good as sony.

Hm.. Which storage is wiped when unlocking? Internal storage only or also the sdcard?

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
.. Still looking for some people that can give me some information on AOSP roms :D

Mad Marty

Jan 20, 2011
nothing will be wipe mate. it restore the phone as like as flash new FW only

Factory reset wipes everything, except SD. I don't know why you would say that 'nothing will be wiped'

.. Still looking for some people that can give me some information on AOSP roms :D

Just check the 'Original Development' section. Whatever ROMs people like is down to personal preference/requirements, so we mostly suggest to just try them out yourself ;)

Last edited:

WhiteNeo

Feb 13, 2013
Factory reset wipes everything, except SD. I don't know why you would say that 'nothing will be wiped'

Just check the 'Original Development' section. Whatever ROMs people like is down to personal preference/requirements, so we mostly suggest to just try them out yourself ;)

There is no original development section for XV, but I checked several of the kitkat roms' threads.
The people there are complaining about bad standby time.. And that the roms are not suitable for daily use.
Would you agree that kitkat is not yet ready?

I don't care about minor bugs, but that bad battery life or a not working camera (just an example) would not really encourage me to install 4.4

Top Liked Posts