[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering

Search This thread

cesartefacto

Jul 6, 2007
Wouldn't it be easier to just do this all through CWM with ADB? Thus no force closes or anything.

EDIT: As I look at the instructions on the original post, he states it's easiest to do it that way also. I'd recommend simplifying such and just doing the instructions for CWM. This will reduce bricks, though if someone can make this into a CWM flashable zip it would be even easier. Live modding files isn't always the best thing to do.

Those instructions are
1) Boot into CWM
2) Go to Mounts and Storage
3) Mount /system
4) Start following the instructions from 4

very very good aport iwant to make small donate and says thanks , please how i can do it ?

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Is there a hack version available for MJB?

I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.

cjgibson0504

Jul 25, 2008
I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Installed on my att i747 MJB and it works perfectly!!!:good:

Reactions: nyokie

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
i747UCUEMJB Bluetooth Tethering

Installed on my att i747 MJB and it works perfectly!!!:good:

Glad to hear it works for you.

I need to clarify that the Wifi Hotspot works fine for me, but bluetooth PAN (Access Point) does not seem to work correctly. My patch turns on the option in settings and it toggles fine; however, the bluetooth PAN profile appears to have been removed from i747UCUEMJB (/sys/bin/pand is missing).

Does bluetooth tethering work on your phone?

cjgibson0504

Jul 25, 2008
Glad to hear it works for you.

I need to clarify that the Wifi Hotspot works fine for me, but bluetooth PAN (Access Point) does not seem to work correctly. My patch turns on the option in settings and it toggles fine; however, the bluetooth PAN profile appears to have been removed from i747UCUEMJB (/sys/bin/pand is missing).

Does bluetooth tethering work on your phone?

Just tried it out and no the bluetooth tethering does not work but all other bluetooth functions do.

mcinelli

Apr 25, 2008

Wifi tethering is working fine for me, but the majority of apps on my phone will no longer run. Do I need to wipe cache or the phone to clear this up?

EDIT: Wiping Dalvik cache did not fix problem.

EDIT2: Updated TWRP to latest version and reflashed, working fine now. Thank you for this patch!

Last edited:

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008

First of all, let me say thanks, BlvJohn, for putting this together. I'm hopeful that it will get me back the tethering capability I lost when I made the mistake of upgrading My AT&T S3 to the OTG version of 4.3 [MJB] ..

So my question is this: Is there a way to safely apply this mod without using a custom recovery?

My company paid for my phone, and they also use Mobile Iron, so my goal is to find a way to root the phone, apply this mod, and then unroot and be back to as close as stock as possible. I think that would allow me to be able to still use Mobile Iron for email and calendar while leaving my phone basically untouched from it's original state, other than having this mod applied..

I'm not even sure if this is possible, or if it is possible, what the best approach would be to try to accomplish this. Should I try to apply the proper files via ADB? What makes the most sense?

Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Any thoughts/concerns/suggestions would be most appreciated!

I do not know anything about Mobile Iron. Will it not work on a rooted phone? I doubt that it makes any changes to the framework-res.apk in the stock rom.

The patch does not make any significant changes from the stock rom. It simply changes a couple of xml values in framework-res.apk to skip the provisioning requirement when WiFi hotspot starts up. The reason installation through a recovery is required is that framework-res.apk can not be installed while Android is running.

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
I do not know anything about Mobile Iron. Will it not work on a rooted phone? I doubt that it makes any changes to the framework-res.apk in the stock rom.

The patch does not make any significant changes from the stock rom. It simply changes a couple of xml values in framework-res.apk to skip the provisioning requirement when WiFi hotspot starts up. The reason installation through a recovery is required is that framework-res.apk can not be installed while Android is running.

Mobile Iron is a mobile device management system, aka MDM, that is used to protect company data. It includes tools to allow an administrator to disable sending data to phones that have been rooted, and my company enforces that policy. I've read before that it could be used with phones that had been rooted at one time but have had root permissions removed.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to put the phone into download mode and push the updated files with ADB, or something like that. I'd like to leave the stock recovery in place if possible. Is Odin the only thing that can connect when in download mode, or will ADB talk to it as well? I need to study up in that part.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply!

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
The patch does not make any significant changes from the stock rom. It simply changes a couple of xml values in framework-res.apk to skip the provisioning requirement when WiFi hotspot starts up.

Could you point me to the proper place I side the framework-res.apk folder structure where these changes are made? And what changes are needed?

I have ADB working and have pulled my framework-res.apk file down. I see some notes on how to safely push system files with ADB and am interested in giving it a try. If I am successful I will post a step by step instructions set on how to do it...

UPDATE: I've gotten a bit further along today. I'm learning a lot!

I now have apktool working and I've extracted my framework-res.apk file.. I see in the following location and XML value related to tethering:

In the file "res/xml/enterprise.xml" there is an XMl table called "RESTRICTION" where I see that there is a column called "wifiTetheringEnabled" that is set to a value of 1.. I must be getting close.. :)

UPDATE 2: Ahh.. I'm getting closer with the info I found here:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-rugby-pro-all-things-root/641564-enable-tethering.html

It speaks of the arrays value for "config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" that you can set to an empty XML tag and remove the need for provisioning check.. Is that what you did as well?

I do see the following section in the arrays.xml file:

Code:
<string-array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
        <item>com.sec.tetheringprovision</item>
        <item>com.sec.tetheringprovision.TetheringProvisionActivity</item>
    </string-array>

UPDATE 3: A few more items worth mentioning.. I noticed above that there was some discussion of wifi tethering working but bluetooth tethering being broken.. This link talks about a value in a bluetooth tethering related array that should be added to ensure bluetooth tethering works. Not sure if it is relevant here or not, but thought you might be interested. The relevant info is a couple pages down on this link:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35688003

It mentions you needing to take a value in arrays.xml that looks like this:

Code:
<array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />

and change it to look like this:

Code:
<string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bnep\\d</item>
</string-array>

No idea if that is relevant or a good idea here, but thought I'd mention it since it seemed like it could be related..

Last edited:

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Could you point me to the proper place I side the framework-res.apk folder structure where these changes are made? And what changes are needed?

You are getting there. See Step 1 in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2057344

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Note ; My patch incorporates Step 1 under HOW TO ENABLE NATIVE TETHERING WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS and Step 1 under HOW TO ENABLE BLUETOOTH TETHERING. The bluetooth change does not work for this rom.

Last edited:

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
You are getting there. See Step 1 in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2057344

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Note ; My patch incorporates Step 1 under HOW TO ENABLE NATIVE TETHERING WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS and Step 1 under HOW TO ENABLE BLUETOOTH TETHERING. The bluetooth change one does not seem to work for this rom.

How funny! I just stumbled on that same thread when searching around for com.sec.tetheringprovision or something like that and posted my UPDATE 3 above after you'd already replied.. HEHE

I see now that you say the bluetooth mode doesn't help. I wonder if that bluetooth mod actually is what broke bluetooth tethering since it was working fine before the mod? Does your mod include the change to bluetooth or not?

Thanks again for your patience with me. I really appreciate it..

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
I see now that you say the bluetooth mode doesn't help. I wonder if that bluetooth mod actually is what broke bluetooth tethering since it was working fine before the mod? Does your mod include the change to bluetooth or not?

Yes, my patch does make the bluetooth change as well. I thought it bluetooth tehtering was not working before the patch, but I will revert and check again. If it does work without the bluetooth patch, I will create another patch that only implements the WiFi hotspot change.

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
A couple more questions, if you don't mind..

1. What tool do you use to decompile and recompile your framework-res-apk?
2. I have apktool 1.5.2 running. Is there any reason I should be worried about doing this mod under windows with that tool?
3. Do you know if it is possible to push files into /system with ADB without having to root my phone? It seems like that is probably impossible but I had to ask.. I think I need root to have adb remount the /system partition in rw mode.. Thoughts?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

A couple more questions, if you don't mind..

1. What tool do you use to decompile and recompile your framework-res-apk?
2. I have apktool 1.5.2 running. Is there any reason I should be worried about doing this mod under windows with that tool?
3. Do you know if it is possible to push files into /system with ADB without having to root my phone? It seems like that is probably impossible but I had to ask.. I think I need root to have adb remount the /system partition in rw mode.. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Looks like the quickest approach to getting where I need to be will be:

• Uninstall Mobile Iron completely, as well as Touchdown HD, just to be safe
  • CF-Auto-Root to get root on my S3 with 4.3 OTA from AT&T
  • adbd insecure to allow for remounting /system as rw
  • Copying the modified framework-res.apk into the proper place with proper permissions
  • remount the /system as ro
  • reboot the phone
  • then unrooting completely (how do I do that?)
  • then reinstall Mobile Iron and Touchdown HD and hope they can't tell that I was rooted, or hope they don't care.. :)

You think that sounds about right?

I think that would give me a phone that is just about exactly as it is now but with this wifi tether hack applied.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Yes, my patch does make the bluetooth change as well. I thought it bluetooth tehtering was not working before the patch, but I will revert and check again. If it does work without the bluetooth patch, I will create another patch that only implements the WiFi hotspot change.

Well, the only reason I said it might have been working is that I can use the FoxFi app for Bluetooth tether (with the PDANet Tablet app on my client device) with no problems. That could be completely different, for all I know..

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
I like Android Multitool (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2326604)

Follow directions closely, particularly regarding copying the AndroidManifest.xml and the META-INF folder from your old apk to your newly compiled one!!

I just realized that I might be trying to jump through hoops I don't need to jump through here.. You already have a modified framework-res.apk that has been tested.. Why am I trying to create one from scratch?

The only think I'm trying to do different is use a different method to get it into place in the /system/framework folder without requiring me to move away from my stock recovery..

I'm guessing I can get your apk file from within your CWM flashable zip file, right? And then I don't have to worry about whether or not I do the apk file properly..

Thoughts?

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
I'm guessing I can get your apk file from within your CWM flashable zip file, right? And then I don't have to worry about whether or not I do the apk file properly..

Yes, you are correct. It is in the zip file.

I like the flashable zip since I have had problems with copying the apk in the past. If you are rooting your phone anyway, installing CWM is not a big deal. You can then restore the stock recovery if you want before you remove root.

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
Yes, you are correct. It is in the zip file.

I like the flashable zip since I have had problems with copying the apk in the past. If you are rooting your phone anyway, installing CWM is not a big deal. You can then restore the stock recovery if you want before you remove root.

Well, I screwed myself..

I didn't realize that my device encryption would cause an issue with CF-Auto-Root.. It did. Now I'm bricked.. I've tried going into recovery and doing a full wipe and factory reset but the recovery doesn't seem to be able to mount my partitions.. I'm guessing I'm going to have to find some other ODIN flashable ROM to load now and try to let ODIN repartition my device.. Not good.. Any suggestions welcome.. :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credits of this hack goes to electron73 from THIS post.
    Thanks to DrDrrae for the CWM zip

This will remove all entitlement checks on the native wifi hotspot app and will enable the native Bluetooth tethering option which was removed by at&t.

*** I take no responsibility if this process bricks your device. please read the process CAREFULLY before attempting this***

***THIS IS ONLY FOR I747UCALEM BUILD. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER BUILD AND WILL PREVENT YOUR DEVICE FROM BOOTING***

This process will prevent your device from booting if something goes wrong. Please make sure you do a nandroid backup BEFORE you do this. If you get stuck you will be able to restore.

What you need:

1) rooted device on the UCALEM build.
    2) CWM installed
    3) The below CWM flashable zip

How to install:

1) Do a nandroid backup - this is a must as we don't have an ODIN restore yet.
    2) Download the below modified flashable zip and place it on your internal SD.
    3) Reboot into recovery and flash the zip file
    4) Done
    5) You might need to re-login to your google account after doing this,

If your device does not boot after changing the file, restore from a nandroid backup and you should be fine.

LINK to CWM flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?z198wxjqhexqqhy
    NEW: Link to CWM flashable zip with Cell standby fix: http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt

Enjoy!
    Is there a hack version available for MJB?

Cell Standby fix

Need a version with the cell standby fix also rolled in. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I added the cell-standby fix MOD from here to the cwm flashable zip file that OP had created. Download the new CWM flashable zip from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt
    Android 4.4.2 Update

I created a new recovery installable patch to enable WiFi tethering for the the AT&T Galaxy S3 with the stock i747UCUFNE4 rom; it should work on any stock FNE4 Rom. Bluetooth tethering may also work with this patch, but I am not sure for all cases. This patch updates 'framework-res.apk' in your /system/framework folder.

As before, I recommend creating a backup patch using your original framework-res.apk. Make a copy of the patch file "Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip" and change the name to something like "Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip". Open this new zip (using Win-Zip or 7-zip) and replace 'framework-res.apk' with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device.

Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Re-boot to recovery, flash Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip, re-boot, and verify that it works. If you have problems, you can always restore your system by rebooting to recovery and installing the Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip.

Link: Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip